Getbig Main Boards > Politics and Political Issues Board
Elderly Texas woman threatened with jail after applying for voter ID
<< < (5/5)
Kazan:

--- Quote from: Straw Man on October 26, 2014, 09:30:11 AM ---I absolutely believe that is factually correct  (i.e. a statement supported by facts) but I never said my statement was a fact

You were the one who attempted to say that

I see you have failed to address the 3 actual facts that I gave you

Here's another fact

The Federal Judge who over-ruled the Texas Voter ID law stated this

Gonzales Ramos’ ruling says the law “creates an unconstitutional burden on the right to vote, has an impermissible discriminatory effect against Hispanics and African-Americans, and was imposed with an unconstitutional discriminatory purpose.” It added that the measure: “constitutes an unconstitutional poll tax.”

Poll Taxes were created to suppress voter turnout

Voter ID laws are the equivalent of a poll tax

Now how about just go back and refute the first 3 facts I gave you in support of my statement

--- End quote ---

Well here is the problem, in order to vote you have to be a US citizen. So if identification is required, you call is suppressing voters. If no ID is required, how can it be verified that the person casting a vote is a US citizen?
Straw Man:

--- Quote from: Kazan on October 26, 2014, 09:38:01 AM ---Well here is the problem, in order to vote you have to be a US citizen. So if identification is required, you call is suppressing voters. If no ID is required, how can it be verified that the person casting a vote is a US citizen?

--- End quote ---

mere "identification" is not the issue and it's not just me who is calling it "suppressing voters"

The Courts have said it

The GAO report has said that is the effect

Republicans have bragged about it

Edit - I forgot to mention that Richard Posner addressed the argument that these laws prevent non-citizens from voting

--- Quote ---"The panel opinion states that requiring a photo ID might at least prevent persons who 'are too young or are not citizens' from voting. Not so. State-issued IDs are available to noncitizens ... — all that's required is proof of 'legal presence in the United States
--- End quote ---
Kazan:

--- Quote from: Straw Man on October 26, 2014, 09:43:39 AM ---mere "identification" is not the issue and it's not just me who is calling it "suppressing voters"

The Courts have said it

The GAO report has said that is the effect

Republicans have bragged about it

Edit - I forgot to mention that Richard Posner addressed the argument that these laws prevent non-citizens from voting

--- End quote ---

Well apparently the courts are undecided since it has been reinstated in Texas.

Government Account Ability Office LOL what an oxymoron

Republicans  ::)

So basically since .gov gives ID's to illegals, a DL or State ID is not proof of citizenship, hmmmm no wonder there is much scrutiny when getting a Voter ID

Navigation
Message Index
Previous page

Go to full version