Author Topic: 16 for '16: The Most Talked-About Potential GOP Presidential Candidates  (Read 181657 times)

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
  • I am. The most interesting man in the world. (Not)
lol

240 is Back

• Getbig V
  • Complete website for only $300- www.300website.com
lol

it's funny, cause in 16 months, you'll be kneepadding Perry and I'll be shitting on him. 

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
it's funny, cause in 16 months, you'll be kneepadding Perry and I'll be shitting on him. 

In 16 months you will still be a liberal lackey, living on this board, wishing Obama could run for a third term. 

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
Santorum to Enter 2016 White House Race

Image: Santorum to Enter 2016 White House Race   (Laura Segall/Getty Images) 
Wednesday, 27 May 2015

Former U.S. Senator Rick Santorum of Pennsylvania, a staunch conservative whose 2012 White House bid fell short, will announce on Wednesday his plan to make another run for the Republican presidential nomination in 2016, according to ABC News.

Santorum, a senator from 1995 to 2007, will make the announcement later on Wednesday at an event near his childhood home in Cabot, Pennsylvania, ABC News reported. The network said it has a planned interview with the candidate.

A representative for Santorum could not be reached immediately to comment on the report.

In the 2012 Republican nomination race, Santorum finished behind eventual nominee Mitt Romney. He had strong support from voters who were drawn to his unwavering social and religious conservatism and wary of the more business-oriented Romney.

Santorum won Iowa's kickoff contest and a string of later primaries in 2012, outlasting other White House hopefuls before falling to Romney in the Republican nominating race.

His support has languished in the low single digits in most polls ahead of the 2016 race and he faces a stronger and potentially larger field of Republican hopefuls this time around, including former Florida Governor Jeb Bush, Wisconsin Governor Scott Walker and U.S. senators Marco Rubio and Ted Cruz.

http://www.newsmax.com/Newsfront/santorum-enters-2016-race/2015/05/27/id/646979/#ixzz3bMb460Gt

240 is Back

• Getbig V
Santorum... One of the few people running that is actually a conservative. 

He's ten time the conservative of a Jeb or huck. 

syntaxmachine

• Getbig IV
The Republican party at the presidential level hasn't functioned as a democratic institution for a while now, drifting inexorably away from the general populace's views on virtually all matters of importance as the influence of the wealthy over the party has expanded. It can't even rely on its standard repertoire of so-called "wedge issues" -- gay marriage, immigration, etc. -- to muster votes and present the visage of being anything but an instrument of the wealthy, as most Americans now disagree with the party on these matters as well.

The circus that is the Republican presidential nominee contest will provide ample entertainment, at least.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
Pataki announces 2016 bid, says he would back 'boots on the ground' to fight ISIS
Published May 28, 2015·
FoxNews.com

Former New York Gov. George Pataki, announcing Thursday that he'll seek the Republican nomination for president in 2016, told Fox News that he would authorize American "boots on the ground" to go after Islamic State targets in Iraq.

The former Republican governor weighed in on a debate that has divided the party. Pataki insisted he does not want to see a "trillion-dollar, decade-long war," but said the U.S. cannot allow ISIS to have "recruiting" and "training" centers.

"If necessary, we will send in American boots on the ground to destroy those training centers, destroy those planning centers and then get out," he said. The U.S. has more than 3,000 troops in Iraq to train and equip Iraqi forces, but they are not technically in a combat role.

Pataki, meanwhile, pledged to run on a "reform agenda" as he joins a crowded field seeking the GOP nomination in 2016.

"My whole life has prepared me for this moment," Pataki told Fox News. "I am running."

Pataki formally announced his campaign shortly afterward at a rally in Exeter, N.H., which served as the state capital during the Revolutionary War and claims to be the birthplace of the Republican Party. "Let the next decade be the decade where America proves to the world, you ain't seen nothing yet," Pataki told the crowd.

In announcing his White House bid, Pataki's campaign also posted a three-and-a-half-minute video to its website featuring an anti-big government message, "Washington has grown too big, too powerful, too expensive, and too intrusive." The video highlighted Pataki's role as governor of New York following the Sept. 11, 2001, terror attacks.

"We have always understood that we have a common background and a common destiny, and when we stand together, we can accomplish anything," Pataki said in the video. "I saw that on the streets of New York in the days and weeks after September 11."

Pataki is the eighth Republican candidate to announce his run for the White House, and does so one day after former Pennsylvania Sen. Rick Santorum launched his second presidential campaign.

Pataki, 69, has worked as a lawyer and opened a consulting firm since leaving office in 2006. He's been a frequent visitor to the early nominating states of Iowa and New Hampshire over the years, and has made more than half a dozen trips to New Hampshire this year alone as he explored a 2016 campaign. His earlier efforts never resulted in a full-fledged campaign, however.

Clearly a longshot, Pataki has cited his electoral success in a heavily Democratic state -- he knocked off liberal icon Mario Cuomo to become governor in 1994 -- and ability to work with Democrats as among his strengths. But he's spent recent months promoting his conservative credentials, as those running for the Republican nomination invariably do.

In an earlier trip to New Hampshire, he campaigned against President Obama's health care law, criticized Obama's executive order to offer protections against deportation to millions of immigrants living in the country illegally, and said the nation can't afford another Democratic president.

Speaking with Fox News, Pataki said he knows how to "put together a coalition" and said the Republican nominee will have to appeal to independents, conservative Democrats, young voters, minority voters and more.

Pataki served as governor from 1995 through 2006. The lengthy tenure was the pinnacle of a long career in politics that began with a run for mayor in his hometown of Peekskill. He won in 1981, and served two terms before going on to the New York State Assembly, then the State Senate, where he served one term.

He rode a national Republican wave into the governor's mansion in 1994, and was held in high esteem as a fiscal conservative who was able to win the top office in a traditionally blue state. But his positions on gun control, gay rights and global warming created a schism with his more socially conservative supporters, and some fiscal conservatives were still underwhelmed by his economic policies during his years as governor.

Nonetheless, he has taken a populist, small-government tone in recent television appearances and PAC commercials.

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2015/05/28/former-new-york-gov-pataki-announces-run-for-2016-gop-presidential-nomination/?intcmp=latestnews

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
First meeting with Al Sharpton, then disrespecting women, now this?  He is not ready for prime time.

Rand Paul Holds Republican Hawks Responsible for ISIS

Senator Rand Paul with a supporter at a book signing in New York City on Tuesday night.Credit Hiroko Masuike/The New York Times

Senator Rand Paul of Kentucky has been doing his best to differentiate himself from fellow Republicans who are running for president and, on Wednesday, he ratcheted up his talking points by holding foreign policy hawks in his own party responsible for the growing strength of Islamic State militants.

Asked whether he was concerned that a potential rival for the nomination such as Senator Lindsey Graham would target him for being an isolationist on international affairs, Mr. Paul said that people like Mr. Graham helped add to the chaos in the Middle East.

“ISIS exists and grew stronger because of the hawks in our party who gave arms indiscriminately, and most these arms were snatched up by ISIS,” Mr. Paul said on MSNBC’s “Morning Joe.”

Mr. Paul’s comments are likely to anger many Republicans and come at a time when responsibility for the Islamic State is a matter of debate. This month, a college student in Nevada told former Gov. Jeb Bush that President George W. Bush, his brother, created ISIS.

Mr. Paul also sought to tie Republicans to the policies Hillary Rodham Clinton promoted as secretary of state.

“ISIS is all over Libya because these same hawks in my party loved Hillary Clinton’s war in Libya, they just wanted more of it,” he said. “Libya is a failed state. It’s a disaster.”

Mr. Paul has been critical of Mr. Graham and his close friend Senator John McCain in the past and recently called them “lap dogs” of President Obama’s foreign policy. He doubled down on that sentiment on Wednesday, saying that they have been wrong on everything regarding foreign policy in the last 20 years.

“And yet somehow they have the gall to be saying and pointing fingers otherwise,” Mr. Paul said.

http://www.nytimes.com/politics/first-draft/2015/05/27/rand-paul-holds-republican-hawks-responsible-for-isis/?_r=0

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
Re: 16 for '16: The Most Talked-About Potential GOP Presidential Candidates
« Reply #533 on: June 01, 2015, 11:17:50 AM »
Lindsey Graham Announces Presidential Bid
By ALAN RAPPEPORTJUNE 1, 2015

Senator Lindsey Graham, Republican of South Carolina, announced his bid for the presidency on Monday. Credit Rainier Ehrhardt/Associated Press
Advertisement

CENTRAL, S.C. — Senator Lindsey Graham of South Carolina on Monday returned to the neighborhood where he was raised and announced that he is running for president, injecting a hawkish foreign policy voice into a crowded field of Republican contenders.

Mr. Graham’s entry into the race comes a year after his political career appeared briefly to be on the ropes, when Tea Party conservatives targeted him as a moderate to be ousted in the midterm election.

After fending off that challenge with ease, Mr. Graham, 59, has said his fear that the world is “falling apart” inspired him to run for the White House. He will try to convince voters that a platform of pragmatism at home and “security through strength” abroad is the formula that gives Republicans the best chance to beat Hillary Rodham Clinton if she becomes the Democratic nominee.

Senator Lindsey Graham, Republican of South Carolina, greeted supporters after announcing his bid for the presidency on Monday.Lindsey Graham on the IssuesJUNE 1, 2015
“I want to be president to protect our nation that we all love so much from all threats foreign and domestic,” he told the crowd assembled in his hometown. “So get ready. I know I’m ready.”

Mr. Graham was first elected to the Senate in 2002 after serving eight years in the House of Representatives. He joins the nominating contest as an underdog who has struggled in early polls next to rivals who include former Gov. Jeb Bush of Florida, Senators Marco Rubio of Florida and Ted Cruz of Texas, and Gov. Scott Walker of Wisconsin.

“I think that no one here in South Carolina has any illusions that Lindsey Graham is on a fast track or even near the front part of the pack in that crowded group,” said Robert Wislinski, a political strategist in the state.

What Lindsey Graham Would Need to Do to Win
Senator Lindsey Graham of South Carolina on Monday joined the race for the 2016 Republican presidential nomination. Here is a look at what he will need to do to win.

In previous election cycles, that might not have been the case for someone with Mr. Graham’s credentials.

A former Air Force lawyer and judge, Mr. Graham has made multiple trips to Iraq and Afghanistan, burnishing his reputation as an authority on international affairs. With his years of experience, he may be seen as an elder statesman who can cast a light on Mr. Rubio’s scant record, or scold Senator Rand Paul for his isolationist policies.

As Mr. Graham traveled the country mulling a run, he mixed his usual wry humor with tough talk about terrorism. Speaking at the Lincoln Day Dinner in Iowa in April, the senator left no doubt about how he would handle the rise of the Islamic State group, also called ISIS or ISIL.

“If I’m president of the United States and you’re thinking about joining Al Qaeda or ISIL, I’m not going to call a judge,” he said. “I’m going to call a drone, and we will kill you.”

On domestic policy, Mr. Graham has left himself vulnerable to criticism from within his party. Open to making deals with Democrats to move bills forward, he is often criticized for sounding like a Democrat on climate change, spending and immigration.

In 2013, he worked with a bipartisan group of senators on legislation that would have created a path to citizenship for millions of immigrants. The plan failed, but Mr. Graham has made the case that Republicans are in danger of further losing Hispanic support because of opposition to immigration reform.

Strategists say that fund-raising will be an obstacle for Mr. Graham but that if his candidacy gains traction he could benefit from South Carolina’s status as an early primary state.

“Jeb Bush has pulled up the Brink’s truck and is about to dump it on the 2016 field, so it will be interesting to see how everybody competes with that,” said Luke Byars, who advised Mr. Graham during his last campaign.

One way Mr. Graham will look to compete is by opening up.

Unlike many other candidates, Mr. Graham is unmarried and has no children. To help connect with voters, he often talks about his sister and shares stories of his days working at the pool hall and liquor store that his family operated. Experiencing the early deaths of his parents, he sometimes recalls, made him mature more quickly.

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/06/02/us/politics/lindsey-graham-presidential-campaign.html?_r=0

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #534 on: June 03, 2015, 10:20:02 AM »
Bobby Jindal To Announce June 24 Whether He's Running for President

Image: Bobby Jindal To Announce June 24 Whether He's Running for President (Steve Nesius/Reuters)
Wednesday, 03 Jun 2015

Louisiana Gov. Bobby Jindal said Wednesday he will announce June 24 in New Orleans whether he will join the large field of Republicans running for president.

"If I decide to announce on June 24th that I will seek the Republican nomination for President, my candidacy will be based on the idea that the American people are ready to try a dramatically different direction," Jindal said in a statement emailed by his exploratory committee.

He said that “"other Republican leaders are talking about change" but that he had worked on actual plans to replace Obamacare, make the U.S. energy-independent, and change education policy.

Jindal is the first choice of just 1 percent of likely Republican caucus-goers in the key early nominating state of Iowa, according to a Bloomberg Politics/Des Moines Register poll published Saturday.

A slew of Republican governors and former governors are expected to join the race in coming weeks, including Rick Perry of Texas on Thursday in Dallas. Republican TV personality and businessman Donald Trump is expected to announce his decision on June 16 in New York.

On the Democratic side, former Rhode Island Gov. Lincoln Chafee is set to announce his run Wednesday in Virginia.

http://www.newsmax.com/US/Jindal-announcement-president-june/2015/06/03/id/648398/#ixzz3c1KqL3QV

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #535 on: June 03, 2015, 10:23:11 AM »
Scott Walker Plans 2016 Announcement After State Budget Talks

Image: Scott Walker Plans 2016 Announcement After State Budget Talks (Scott Olson/Getty Images)
Wednesday, 03 Jun 2015
By Sandy Fitzgerald

Wisconsin Gov. Scott Walker, who holds a slight lead in many national polls for the GOP presidential nomination, said Wednesday he plans to announce officially if he'll be a candidate after pressing business in his own state concludes.

"I haven't made an announcement yet, and won't until after our budget is done at the end of this month," Walker told Fox News' "Fox & Friends" program.

"Hopefully, we will get our fifth and sixth years' property taxes down from when I took office."

But he is already planning to be in Iowa again this weekend, and believes it will take a "grassroots organization" to pull off a campaign, as he did three times in the past few years in Wisconsin.

He admitted an announcement could give him a bump in the polls, but said, "our interest is less about the timing of a bump but getting through our state budget and then announcing what our intentions are."

He lauded the large group of Republicans who are seeking the nomination, and said that what he's seeing among voters is they want someone who can fight and win "for taxpayers like them."

There are good fighters, Walker said, including senators "who have been fighting the good fight but have yet to win any real victories there," and another group, "governors and former governors who are good at winning."

He pointed out that many of those governors "haven't taken on the big fights in their states," but "what would make us unique is we have done both. We have fought the fight on issue after issue."

Walker not only crushed most public employees' right to bargain with his support of the state's Act 10, resulting in a recall election that Walker won, he also signed off on a bill that made Wisconsin the 25th right-to-work state in the union.

Meanwhile, he railed against runaway Democratic front-runner Hillary Clinton, telling Fox that people see her and her husband, ex-President Bill Clinton, as people who have different sets of rules for themselves and anyone else.

"People don't want a leader anointed in America," said Walker. "They don't want someone who is part of a monarchy or legacy. They want someone who earns it by working hard."

And he said he thinks it would be a real challenge for someone like Clinton to win a nomination without a "serious primary," but the number of "great candidates on the Republican side and those coming in the future is good for the party and, most importantly, good for America."

Walker also voiced his concerns on the troubled relationship between President Barack Obama and Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu, adding that he traveled to Israel recently and told the leader he would like to try to establish a strong relationship.

Further, he said that he spoke with leaders who are concerned about the proposed nuclear deal with Iran, as "they see it as a direct threat to their safety and security."

Also on Wednesday, the governor said he is glad the Senate passed the USA Freedom Act, which modifies controversial provisions of the Patriot Act, but would have preferred a full reauthorization of the Patriot Act instead.

The new act is not a step back, he said, which would mean doing nothing, but he still considers the new act as "another example of the failure of this president to lead."

"This is an example where the president could lead, have used the bully pulpit to tell the American people to make sure we will prevent another terrorist attack out there," said Walker. "This is one of the many tools we need. I hope we will re-establish the Patriot Act."

http://www.newsmax.com/Politics/Scott-Walker-budget-announcement-2016/2015/06/03/id/648437/#ixzz3c1LWJSPB

LurkerNoMore

• Getbig V
  • Dumb people think Trump is smart.
« Reply #536 on: June 03, 2015, 07:35:04 PM »
22 pages of future 2016 losers.

240 is Back

• Getbig V
« Reply #537 on: June 03, 2015, 08:58:42 PM »
22 pages of future 2016 losers.

anything can happen.

the last 2 presidential elections were toss-ups, not sure if you saw that.

LurkerNoMore

• Getbig V
« Reply #538 on: June 03, 2015, 09:45:23 PM »
anything can happen.

the last 2 presidential elections were toss-ups, not sure if you saw that.

Skin of the teeth kind of results we are talking about.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #539 on: June 04, 2015, 09:25:53 AM »
Ex-Texas governor unveils 'Perry for President' website ahead of 2016 announcement
Published June 04, 2015
FoxNews.com

Former Texas Gov. Rick Perry unveiled his apparent presidential campaign website Thursday morning ahead of an expected announcement that he will officially seek the 2016 Republican nomination.

The "Perry for President" website went live Thursday morning. It includes stats highlighting tax cuts and other policies from his lengthy term as Texas governor, as well as a promotional and biographical web video.

A senior Perry adviser says the former governor plans to make his bid official at an event in Dallas later in the day.

Perry would become the 10th Republican to enter the race for the White House. He has already made several visits to the early voting states of Iowa, New Hampshire, and South Carolina, and will look to erase the memories of his disappointing 2012 campaign.

When Perry entered the Republican race last cycle, he was considered to be among the front-runners. Then, at a November 2011 debate in Michigan, he forgot the name of the third federal agency he said he would close if he was elected, then muttered "Oops." In that moment, he went from from powerhouse to punchline and gradually faded from contention.

However, Perry still has the policy record that made him an early force last time.

Perry left office in January after a record 14 years as governor of Texas. Under him, the state generated more than a third of America's new private-sector jobs since 2001.

While an oil and gas boom fueled much of that economic growth, Perry credits lower taxes, restrained regulation and limits on civil litigation damages. He also pushed offering economic incentives to lure top employers to Texas and repeatedly visited states with Democratic governors to poach jobs.

Perry was thought to be a cinch for four more years as governor in 2014, but instead turned back to White House ambitions. His effort may be complicated this time by a felony indictment on abuse of power and coercion charges, from when he threatened -- then carried out -- a veto of state funding for public corruption prosecutors. That came when the unit's Democratic head rebuffed Perry's demands that she resign following a drunken driving conviction.

Perry calls the case against him a political "witch hunt," but his repeated efforts to get it tossed on constitutional grounds have so far proved unsuccessful. That raises the prospect he'll have to leave the campaign trail to head to court in Texas.

Perry blamed lingering pain from back surgery in the summer of 2011 for part of the reason he performed poorly in the 2012 campaign. He has ditched his trademark cowboy boots for more comfortable footwear and wears glasses that give him a serious look.

Perry also traveled extensively overseas and studied policy with experts and economists at Stanford University's Hoover Institution. He met such business moguls as Warren Buffett and Rupert Murdoch.

Lately, Perry has traveled to Iowa, which kicks off presidential nomination voting, more than any GOP White House candidate.

"People realize that what the governor did in the high-profile debate, stumble, everyone has done at some point in their lives," said Ray Sullivan, Perry's chief of staff as governor and communications director for his 2012 presidential bid. "I think he's already earned a second look, particular in Iowa."

"I think he's kind of been freed up to be Rick Perry again," said Brendan Steinhauser, a Texas political consultant who was director of state and federal campaigns for tea party-backed FreedomWorks before managing the re-election campaign of veteran Sen. John Cornyn last year. "That's going to give him a lot of freedom to do what he does best, which is talk to voters one-on-one, shake hands, do the small meetings."

As an underdog, Perry has visited out-of-the-way places in Iowa, often traveling with a single SUV rather than the busloads in his 2012 entourage. Steinhauser said Perry shouldn't "start out trying to be larger than life."

One thing Perry hopes to emulate from 2012 is his fundraising, when he amassed $18 million in the first six weeks. He has strong donor contacts nationwide as a former Republican Governors Association chairman. However, his indictments may cause some to hesitate to write him checks.

Perry's camp notes that many past Republican candidates, including Mitt Romney in 2012, rebounded to win the party's presidential nomination after failing in a previous bid. But GOP strategist Ford O'Connell said the 2016 field is "extremely talented and deep" compared to four years ago.

"For him to win the nomination," O'Connell said, "he's going to have to be great, but a lot of people are going to have to trip and fall along the way."

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2015/06/04/former-texas-gov-rick-perry-to-join-2016-gop-field/?intcmp=latestnews

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #540 on: June 04, 2015, 09:30:36 AM »
Jeb Bush to Announce White House Bid on June 15

Image: Jeb Bush to Announce White House Bid on June 15 (Joe Readle/Getty Images)
Thursday, 04 Jun 2015

Former Florida Governor Jeb Bush is expected to formally announce his campaign for the Republican presidential nomination on June 15 in Miami, according to a new campaign website that went live early Thursday.

"Coming soon ...," Bush said on his Twitter account, linking to the website. A companion message was posted in Spanish.

Bush, the son of former president George H.W. Bush and brother of former president George W. Bush, is entering a crowded field of Republican candidates ahead of the November 2016 presidential election, with former Texas Governor Rick Perry the latest to join.

Bush, 62, has been raising money and campaigning for months, but not as an official candidate.

Watchdog groups are asking the Justice Department to investigate him and others for possibly using his "non candidacy" to skirt federal election fundraising laws. Bush's spokeswoman said, in response to questions about his fundraising, that he is fully complying with the law.

With an announcement, he would immediately become one of the top-tier candidates for the nomination. As the candidate who most represents the establishment wing of the party, he already leads many national polls of Republicans who are considering a wide-open field for the 2016 nomination.

His main challenge is to convince conservative Republicans to set aside concerns he is too moderate, even as he tries to expand the reach of Republicans who have lost the last two presidential elections and are seen as facing an uphill battle in 2016.

The pressure will be on to show how he is different from fresher faces in the party like Wisconsin Governor Scott Walker and Florida Senator Marco Rubio. Both he and Rubio are from Florida.

One issue that may give him trouble with conservatives is his more welcoming attitude toward illegal immigrants. He has geared his candidacy toward making himself more appealing to Hispanic-Americans, a voting bloc growing in significance, particularly in key swing states like Nevada, Colorado and his home state of Florida.

http://www.newsmax.com/US/jeb-bush-2016-announcement/2015/06/04/id/648632/#ixzz3c6z4n1kF

LurkerNoMore

• Getbig V
« Reply #541 on: June 04, 2015, 09:52:12 AM »
The only one in Jeb's immediate family with a clean record is his dog. 

Of course, everyone is going to over look that once he gets the nod.  Which he will most likely get the nod unless he drops out simply because no one wants a conservative to run.  Then everyone is going to harp on and on about his great "family values".

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #542 on: June 08, 2015, 10:34:09 AM »
Christie Backers: Don't Count Him Out of 2016 Race

Image: Christie Backers: Don't Count Him Out of 2016 Race (Oliver Douliery/Getty Images)
Monday, 08 Jun 2015

Some of Chris Christie’s early financial backers are sticking it out, saying the New Jersey governor’s troubles may make him a better candidate if he is chosen for the first Republican presidential debate.

The George Washington Bridge traffic scandal? Republicans will get over it, said Home Depot Inc. co-founder Ken Langone. Christie’s high negative ratings? The more people get to know him, the more they’ll like him, said New York investor Nick Loeb. His polling in the middle of a crowded field? The Nov. 8, 2016, election is a long way off, said Bobbie Kilberg, a Republican donor and fundraiser.

“Polls that run 10 percent on the high end and 2 percent on the low mean very little at this point,” said Kilberg, president of the Northern Virginia Technology Council. “Chris being smack in the middle is just fine with me.”

The support fuels Christie’s determination even as newspaper editorials declare his race over before its official start. With the governor hovering near the bottom of the list of candidates who will make the cutoff for the debate and its opportunity for a breakout moment, his backers point to his record of thriving under stress.

So far, at least eight major Republican candidates have joined a field that may feature as many as 18 contenders. Only the top 10 as determined by an average of five polls will participate in the August forum in Cleveland.

While Christie has yet to announce a run, he’s been to 14 states this year to meet voters, raise money and give speeches. This week, he’s back in New Hampshire for a sixth time and will return to Iowa to discuss education.

Approval Ratings

Christie, 52, became a national figure during his first term with calls for employee-benefit cuts and lower taxes, and confrontations with detractors.

His approval surged after he led the state through the aftermath of Hurricane Sandy. After winning a second term in 2013, his ratings crumbled amid a sluggish recovery, record credit-rating downgrades and the intentional lane closings at the George Washington Bridge, which crippled the town of a mayor who failed to endorse him.

Three investigations found no evidence that Christie knew of the plot. The governor labored to shake it off, stumping the country as Republican Governors Association chairman. He set fundraising records and helped his party add two governorships to the 29 it held.

‘Shared Ideas’

Phil Cox, a former RGA executive director who formed the America Leads super-political action committee in March to raise unlimited sums to support a Christie run, said his energy and ability to connect have allowed him to remain in the game.

“On the majority of issues, the Republican candidates for president will agree,” Cox said. “What donors are looking for is the candidate who can sell our shared ideas to independent voters.”

Kilberg, who donated $15,000 to the RGA last year and last month hosted an event that she said raised $175,000 for Christie’s Leadership Matters for America PAC, said candidates in such a crowded field don’t need an early lock on fundraising. Christie needs enough to get to the debates and campaign in early-voting states, she said.

“It’s very clear why I’m backing Chris -- he’s willing to take on hard public-policy issues, he’s the most talented retail politician out there and the fact that what you see is what you get is all very appealing to me,” she said.

Decision Time

During recent trips, Christie has outlined his positions on foreign policy, entitlements and economic growth. The specific plans distinguish him from the pack, Langone said.

Langone, 79, a donor to past Christie campaigns who supports Leadership Matters, said the governor needs to formally announce his intentions within the next month.

“When people know he’s committed, that will be a big barrier down,” Langone said in a June 1 telephone interview. “People will line up behind him strongly and more profoundly.”

Should he run, Christie has his work cut out for him. In a Bloomberg Iowa poll, 45 percent of likely Republican caucus participants said they’d never support him. Only Donald Trump scored worse, with 58 percent.

Campaign Scandals

Donor Chris Vincze, chairman of TRC Cos., a Massachusetts energy and infrastructure consulting company, said the bridge affair was overblown. It pales in comparison to disclosures about Democrat Hillary Clinton’s use of a private e-mail server and links to her family’s foundation, he said.

“She’s had two of them now and it’s just assumed she’s going to win the nomination,” said Vincze.

Christie came closest to declaring himself a candidate on May 22, when he told the Southern Republican Leadership Conference in Oklahoma that members would never have to guess where he stands.

“I will fight with every ounce of energy I have to return America to prominence and prosperity at home, and to leadership around the world,” he said.

Voters want candor, Langone said, and Christie “has that in spades.”

Loeb, who donated to the PAC and is helping it raise money, said he met Christie in 2012 at the White House Correspondents Dinner, when the governor and Mary Pat Christie were seated next to him and actress Sofia Vergara, his former fiancée. Christie “blew him away” because he spoke like a regular guy, not a “robotic politician.”

“For me to support a candidate, I have to actually like that candidate -- it doesn’t matter whether they get good press or bad press,” Loeb said. “We just need to get Chris in front of as many people as possible.”

http://www.newsmax.com/Newsfront/christie-supporters-press-on/2015/06/08/id/649265/#ixzz3cUccWmJf

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #543 on: June 08, 2015, 02:40:52 PM »
Rubio gaining ground with donors and in polls, but still far behind Bush's coffers
By  Andrew O'Reilly
Published June 08, 2015
Fox News Latino

Sen. Marco Rubio at the First in the Nation Summit April 17, 2015 in Nashua, New Hampshire. (Getty)

Marco Rubio's tenacious politicking and fundraising efforts appear to be working out so far for the Republican candidate as the campaign season heats up and more and more presidential hopefuls join the fray.

The Florida senator recently has seen a surge in both the polls and in campaign contributions, with many GOP strategists and fundraisers raving about the Cuban-American lawmaker – much to the chagrin of his main rival, former Florida Gov. Jeb Bush.

"After meeting Marco and listening to him — he is almost astounding, he is so articulate and he has got such great vision," Anthony Gioia, a top GOP fundraiser in Buffalo, told the Washington Post. "I hate to overuse the word ‘transformational,' but I really feel he is."

The recent upwelling of support for Rubio has helped the junior senator jump ahead in the numbers game, with a Washington Post/ABC News poll released this week showing that the he has a better split between his favorable rating and his unfavorable rating than anyone else in the fast-growing 2016 Republican field. Bush and the other GOP favorites fell flatly in the middle, while Texas Sen. Ted Cruz ranked toward the bottom alongside Louisiana's Bobby Jindal and New Jersey Gov. Chris Christie.

Analysts say this early support and fundraising by Rubio is necessary for him to compete for advertising and outreach during a Republican primary season that is expected to be a long, arduous campaign — especially given the already deep coffers of competitors like Bush and Wisconsin Gov. Scott Walker.

In a game of fundraising it's all about meeting and beating your competitors.

- Susan MacManus, professor at the University of South Florida

Bush, who has yet to formally declare his bid for presidency, is expected to report at the end of July that his super PAC, Right to Rise, has raised more than $100 million for his campaign. By April, people familiar with Rubio's campaign, on the other hand, noted that a super PAC supporting the Florida senator had raised around $20 million.

"This is the part of the campaign where people are thinking about who they are going to support and who giving money to will help the most," Susan MacManus, a political campaign expert and professor at the University of South Florida, told Fox News Latino. "Rubio doesn't have the depth of networks that Bush does so it is very important for him to get ahead in fundraising at this early stage."

Part of that fundraising effort entails winning over donors who have become either disinterested in Bush or put off by what many consider his moderate stance on topics like immigration and education.

Before Buffalo's Gioia was gung-ho for Rubio, he had raised more than $500,000 for Bush's brother, former President George W. Bush. Wayne Berman, who worked in the administration of Jeb's father, President George H.W. Bush, and was a fundraiser for his brother, is now a senior advisor to Rubio. 

Political observers are now saying that while Bush may have the name recognition, thanks to his relatives, this does not automatically guarantee that he will get the support – or the money – from his family's former backers.

"I don't think anyone, including Jeb Bush, should expect to automatically pick up support to become president — especially by virtue of being related to a past president. And I doubt he would disagree with that," Neil Patel, a Bush White House official and publisher of The Daily Caller told the New York Times. "Lots of former colleagues are lined up behind Jeb but many are also with Rubio, Walker and others."

Besides snagging up prospective Bush donors, Rubio is also benefiting from the support of newer bundlers, including billionaire Oracle founder Larry Ellison and Randy Kendrick, an influential Arizona donor and the wife of Arizona Diamondbacks owner Ken Kendrick.

Rubio also has the almost unconditional backing of former Philadelphia Eagles owner and Miami billionaire Norman Braman, who has harbored ill will toward Bush ever since the former Florida governor vetoed $2 million in state funds that had been allocated for the Braman Breast Cancer Institute. Braman already committed to hand over as much as $10 million into a pro-Rubio super PAC.

Despite Rubio's hectic fundraising and growing popularity with both big-time donors and the voting public, most observers agree that he – and all other GOP candidates – will all be playing catch-up with Bush when it comes to campaign contributions.

"In the game of fundraising it's all about meeting and beating your competitors," MacManus said. "Bush jumped out early in terms of money and is still beating everyone in funding by a lot."

http://latino.foxnews.com/latino/politics/2015/06/08/rubio-gaining-ground-with-donors-and-in-polls-but-still-far-behind-bush-coffers/

polychronopolous

• Getbig V
« Reply #544 on: June 09, 2015, 09:22:26 AM »
DONALD TRUMP GAINING GROUND: 12% SUPPORT IN NEW HAMPSHIRE

Today on his show, Howie Carr featured a Gravis Marketing poll in New Hampshire that has Jeb Bush up big at 21%, with Sen. Rand Paul (R-KY)
and Scott Walker both trailing with 13% and Donald Trump right on their heels at 12%. Nine percent of respondents were “unsure. Carly Fiorina, Ben Carson and Mike Huckabee each came in at 5%, while Chris Christie and Sen. Ted Cruz (R-TX) brought up the rear with 4% each.

240 is Back

• Getbig V
« Reply #545 on: June 09, 2015, 09:48:29 AM »
DONALD TRUMP GAINING GROUND: 12% SUPPORT IN NEW HAMPSHIRE
Today on his show, Howie Carr featured a Gravis Marketing poll in New Hampshire that has Jeb Bush up big at 21%, with Sen. Rand Paul (R-KY)
and Scott Walker both trailing with 13% and Donald Trump right on their heels at 12%. Nine percent of respondents were “unsure. Carly Fiorina, Ben Carson and Mike Huckabee each came in at 5%, while Chris Christie and Sen. Ted Cruz (R-TX) brought up the rear with 4% each.

Repubs are in denial about one thing with Trump.   He's not prepared in most areas.

You know what will happen?  He'll get on a realy big stage - like the debates against Hilary - and he'll step in verbal shit with some really big gaffe on a common sense position, simply because he DOESNT know it all.   "I'm going to tell china who the boss is" can cause fcking wars.  Or "I will just tell the muslims, YOURE FIRED!" can lead to dead US troops. 

Seriously, the only people who support Trump are part-time idiot voters that watch more NBC primetime than actual news. 

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #546 on: June 10, 2015, 05:02:59 PM »
Florida Poll: Rubio Surging, Beats Jeb Bush in Head-to-Head Contest

Image: Florida Poll: Rubio Surging, Beats Jeb Bush in Head-to-Head Contest  (Joe Readle/Getty Images; Laura Segall/Getty Images) 
By Greg Richter   |   Wednesday, 10 Jun 2015

A new poll of Florida Republican primary voters by Saint Leo University’s Polling Institute finds that the race is tightening between former Florida Gov. Jeb Bush and Sen. Marco Rubio.

In a theoretical head-to-head matchup with no other Republican candidates, Rubio beats Bush by 8 percentage points, 48 percent to 40 percent.

When other Republicans are included, the poll shows that Bush has 30 percent support among likely Republican voters in Florida while Rubio is coming up fast with 24 percent — a surge of 8 points for the junior senator since St. Leo’s last poll in March.

Rubio continues to do well in Florida as a strong second choice for primary voters — 29 percent call him their second choice. Bush, who is set to declare his candidacy next week after widely being considered a frontrunner with strong financial backing, comes behind with 12 percent listing him as their second choice.

Rubio declared his candidacy in April.

"The surge for Senator Rubio is significant and is easily the most interesting finding in our recent politics poll," said Frank Orlando, instructor of political science at Saint Leo University. "Bush is still holding off Rubio in Florida, but the only factor keeping Rubio from the lead is the large number of conservative candidates who have siphoned his support."

Bush is more popular with moderates, while Rubio gets the support of conservatives, Orlando said.

The poll also shows that more Floridians now believe Rubio has a chance of getting the Republican nomination than they did three months ago. In March, only 9 percent believed Rubio was likely to take the GOP crown, but in June that number had tripled to 27 percent.

In the same period, the number of Floridians who thought Bush would win the nomination dropped from 38 percent to 34 percent.

The poll findings:

March                  June                 Candidate
 31 %                     30 %                 Former Florida Gov. Jeb Bush
 16 %                      24 %                U.S. Sen. Marco Rubio of Florida
 10 %                        7 %                Wisconsin Gov. Scott Walker
 9 %                          7 %                 Dr. Ben Carson
 7 %                          7 %                 U.S. Sen. Rand Paul of Kentucky
 4 %                          6 %                 Former Arkansas Gov. Mike Huckabee

The poll of 535 Florida adults was conducted between May 25 and May 31. The margin of error on political questions (which only talked to likely voters) is about 4.5 percent with a 95 percent confidence level. The poll used an online questionnaire.

http://www.newsmax.com/Politics/rubio-surging-florida-poll/2015/06/10/id/649845/#ixzz3chtnAOGR

polychronopolous

• Getbig V
« Reply #547 on: June 10, 2015, 05:10:38 PM »
Repubs are in denial about one thing with Trump.   He's not prepared in most areas.

You know what will happen?  He'll get on a realy big stage - like the debates against Hilary - and he'll step in verbal shit with some really big gaffe on a common sense position, simply because he DOESNT know it all.   "I'm going to tell china who the boss is" can cause fcking wars.  Or "I will just tell the muslims, YOURE FIRED!" can lead to dead US troops. 

Seriously, the only people who support Trump are part-time idiot voters that watch more NBC primetime than actual news. 

No way. We can make a million jokes about his hair and his political positions but Trump is an Ace Salesman and I just can't see him making an ass out of himself on camera in the way you are describing. Even if he doesn't know the "correct response" he will be able to smooth talk his way out of it with the greatest of ease.

From a "On Camera Presence" standpoint he will be one of the best on stage.

240 is Back

• Getbig V
« Reply #548 on: June 10, 2015, 05:20:10 PM »
No way. We can make a million jokes about his hair and his political positions but Trump is an Ace Salesman and I just can't see him making an ass out of himself on camera in the way you are describing.

Okay - I will share some quotes he made when he WAS NOT under the pressure of a national election, trailing in polls, shaking hands/speaking for 18 hours a day... that's when candidates get bad.  Here are some things Trump has said while calm and collected.

"I have people that have been studying [Obama's birth certificate] and they cannot believe what they're finding... I would like to have him show his birth certificate, and can I be honest with you, I hope he can. Because if he can't, if he can't, if he wasn't born in this country, which is a real possibility…then he has pulled one of the great cons in the history of politics." –Donald Trump, three weeks before Obama released his long-form birth certificate in 2011

"I have a great relationship with the blacks." –Donald Trump

"Let me tell you, I'm a really smart guy." –Donald Trump, on his intelligence

"The beauty of me is that I'm very rich." –Donald Trump

. Now he's after the Chinese. Before a rambunctious Vegas crowd yesterday, he got all fired up and threatened China with an export tax:

"Listen you motherfuckers, we're going to tax you 25%."

polychronopolous

• Getbig V
« Reply #549 on: June 10, 2015, 05:27:03 PM »
Okay - I will share some quotes he made when he WAS NOT under the pressure of a national election, trailing in polls, shaking hands/speaking for 18 hours a day... that's when candidates get bad.  Here are some things Trump has said while calm and collected.

"I have people that have been studying [Obama's birth certificate] and they cannot believe what they're finding... I would like to have him show his birth certificate, and can I be honest with you, I hope he can. Because if he can't, if he can't, if he wasn't born in this country, which is a real possibility…then he has pulled one of the great cons in the history of politics." –Donald Trump, three weeks before Obama released his long-form birth certificate in 2011

"I have a great relationship with the blacks." –Donald Trump

"Let me tell you, I'm a really smart guy." –Donald Trump, on his intelligence

"The beauty of me is that I'm very rich." –Donald Trump

. Now he's after the Chinese. Before a rambunctious Vegas crowd yesterday, he got all fired up and threatened China with an export tax:

"Listen you motherfuckers, we're going to tax you 25%."

The man has been joking around with the media for 30 years. There is a difference between knowingly going out there and trolling the press versus just being a bumbling buffoon who falls apart in front of the camera. It wasn't pressure that made him say any of that stuff. I doubt he has any regrets over any of those comments.