Author Topic: 16 for '16: The Most Talked-About Potential GOP Presidential Candidates  (Read 182251 times)

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
  • I am. The most interesting man in the world. (Not)
Re: 16 for '16: The Most Talked-About Potential GOP Presidential Candidates
« Reply #1175 on: February 18, 2016, 09:33:40 AM »
The Party Is Deciding On Rubio
By HARRY ENTEN
FEB 18, 2016

Marco Rubio, on Tuesday in Summerville, South Carolina.
MATT ROURKE / AP

One of the more interesting debates so far this election cycle has been over whether the party decides. Do party elites — politicians, activists, media, etc. — have enough power to influence the nominating contest? Can they pick a winner? Can they stop someone from winning? If so, then Donald Trump, who doesn’t have a single endorsement from a sitting governor or member of Congress, should have little shot at the Republican nomination.

For much of this campaign, however, Republican Party elites weren’t deciding. Most Republican governors and members of Congress haven’t endorsed anyone, and the pace of endorsements has been slower than in past campaigns. But that’s starting to change: More GOP elites are taking the plunge.

In fact, by a hair — and for the moment — Marco Rubio has overtaken the pace set by at least one past Republican nominee, Ronald Reagan in 1980.

Rubio has picked up the endorsements of Gov. Sam Brownback of Kansas and Gov. Nikki Haley of South Carolina this week. Indeed, Rubio has greatly increased his endorsement pace since the Iowa caucuses, picking up 42 weighted endorsement points1 in the past two-and-a-half weeks, according to the FiveThirtyEight endorsement tracker. That’s nearly half of the 85 points he has overall. All the other candidates who remain in the race have received only 4 endorsement points combined since the Iowa caucuses. The second-place candidate, Jeb Bush, has 51 points, but most of those came early in the campaign, when Bush looked far more formidable; he’s earned just 17 points since September.

That’s not to say the party has settled on Rubio. Of the available GOP endorsement points, Rubio has only a little over 10 percent. Hillary Clinton, by contrast, has nearly 80 percent of the Democratic points available. But Rubio is starting to do better than some previous endorsement leaders at this point in the campaign.

Rubio has more endorsement points than Democrat Dick Gephardt did at a comparable point in the 1988 campaign; he led the field with 57 endorsement points. Rubio is also outpacing Ronald Reagan’s 1980 mark:2

And Rubio’s post-Iowa uptick is extra good news for him: History has shown that newer endorsements are more predictive of success than stale ones. Gephardt, for example, hadn’t picked up a single endorsement point post-Iowa at this point in the campaign — and he didn’t win the nomination.

The question, of course, is whether any of this matters. In this seemingly “anti-establishment” year, it’s tempting to say that it doesn’t. I’d argue, though, that if Rubio can keep up his pace, it could make a difference.

The biggest problem for the anti-Trump crowd is that its support has been divided; Rubio, Bush and John Kasich are splitting the anti-Trump vote (it’s harder to say how Ted Cruz fits in here). Trump’s support has been fairly stable in national polls, at about 35 percent, over the past month, and it’s starting to look like he has a core group of supporters who will stick with him come hell or high water. On the other hand, 35 percent is not all that close to 50 percent. If Rubio can coalesce the anti-Trump vote and get to a one-on-one with Trump, Rubio may be able to come out on top. These endorsements could be a signal to anti-Trump voters to rally around Rubio. They may also be a signal to Bush and Kasich to clear the way, that Rubio is Republican elites’ best chance to stop Trump. Of course, in a campaign as wacky as 2016 has been, it may not work.

http://fivethirtyeight.com/features/the-party-is-deciding-on-rubio/

Las Vegas

• Getbig V
  • ! Repent or Perish !
« Reply #1176 on: February 18, 2016, 09:38:46 AM »
She's a rino and she just endorsed the only exceptable repub to the DC folks. I'm not saying I'd not vote for Rubio. Its not like the Dems can attack him for his immigration stance like Cruz is. The picture needs to get much more clear and we need 1-2 guys...not named Trump

Or as Rubio can do to Cruz, etc etc etc?

I understand you want a candidate to believe in, and that you've chosen Cruz to be the one, but no sense fooling yourself.  Please don't lie to yourself.

James

« Reply #1177 on: February 18, 2016, 10:56:41 AM »
Rubio Supports Job-Killing Cap and Trade

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #1178 on: February 19, 2016, 08:11:24 AM »
NBC Poll: Cruz Pulls Within 5 Points of Trump in SC

Image: NBC Poll: Cruz Pulls Within 5 Points of Trump in SC (Getty Images)
Friday, 19 Feb 2016

Republican presidential front-runner Donald Trump has lost his double digit lead over second-place challenger Ted Cruz in South Carolina, according to an NBC News/Wall Street Journal/Marist poll released Friday, the day before the state's GOP primary.

Cruz has pulled within 5 points of Trump, who held a 16-point lead in the same poll a month ago.

Here's how he poll, conducted Feb. 15-17, breaks down:

Donald Trump, 28 percent
Ted Cruz, 23 percent
Marco Rubio, 15 percent
Jeb Bush, 13 percent
John Kasich, 9 percent
Ben Carson, 9 percent

In the race for the Democratic Party nod in the state's Feb. 27 primary,

shows Hillary Clinton retaining a double digit lead over Bernie Sanders:

Hillary Clinton, 60 percent
Bernie Sanders, 32 percent

http://www.newsmax.com/Headline/cruz-trump-south-carolina-poll/2016/02/19/id/715102/#ixzz40dAuwsnk

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #1179 on: February 19, 2016, 02:32:04 PM »
Projected South Carolina finish:

Projected results
TRUMP   30.6%
RUBIO   19.6%
CRUZ   19.3%
BUSH   11.7%
KASICH   9.4%
CARSON   7.6%

http://projects.fivethirtyeight.com/election-2016/primary-forecast/south-carolina-republican/

240 is Back

• Getbig V
  • Complete website for only $300- www.300website.com
« Reply #1180 on: February 19, 2016, 11:19:02 PM »
LOL @ republican voters.  1/3 of them love Trump.

Las Vegas

• Getbig V
  • ! Repent or Perish !
« Reply #1181 on: February 20, 2016, 05:51:36 PM »
Jeb is out.  Does this mean there's good reason to believe that a deal wasn't to be made?

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #1182 on: February 22, 2016, 09:25:49 AM »
Projected South Carolina finish:

Projected results
TRUMP   30.6%
RUBIO   19.6%
CRUZ   19.3%
BUSH   11.7%
KASICH   9.4%
CARSON   7.6%

http://projects.fivethirtyeight.com/election-2016/primary-forecast/south-carolina-republican/

Silver's group is pretty spot on again.  Actual results:

trump   239,851   32.5%
rubio   165,881   22.5%
cruz   164,790   22.3%
bush   57,863   7.8%
kasich   56,206   7.6%
carson   53,326   7.2%

http://www.cnn.com/election/primaries/states/sc/Rep

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #1183 on: February 22, 2016, 09:35:06 AM »
Tim Pawlenty endorses Marco Rubio
By David Wright, CNN
February 22, 2016

(CNN)Tim Pawlenty, the former governor of Minnesota and a former GOP presidential candidate, announced Monday he is endorsing Marco Rubio's presidential campaign.

"I think it comes down to this -- he's strong, he's also informed, he's conservative, and he's electable, and he can unite the party, and you can't ask for much more than that," Pawlenty told CNN's Alisyn Camerota on "New Day."

"I think he's got the total package, and I think he's going to bring forward the strongest voice, the strongest image, and really the most thoughtful and informed strong view about how to move this country forward from a conservative perspective."

The endorsement comes days after Rubio galvanized supporters by placing second behind Donald Trump in the South Carolina primary, and after rival Jeb Bush dropped out of the race.

But Pawlenty dismissed the suggestion that Rubio represented the preferred candidate of the establishment, saying, "I think that's a misreading, because Marco Rubio came of age in the tea party. He's a bona fide movement conservative. And to say that he's 'establishment' or somehow not conservative, I just don't think is accurate. He's bold, he's next generation, and he's reform-minded, change-oriented."

Pawlenty also argued that Rubio is a better candidate than front-runner Trump, explaining, "I think what people want in Donald Trump is strength, and in Marco Rubio you get that same strength, but it's an informed strength. And I think that's really important, particularly when you get to issues like national security and defense issues and foreign affairs."

Pawlenty dropped out of the race in August 2011 and eventually endorsed Mitt Romney's 2012 presidential bid.

http://www.cnn.com/2016/02/22/politics/tim-pawlenty-endorses-marco-rubio/index.html

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #1184 on: February 22, 2016, 09:36:19 AM »
Current delegate count:

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #1185 on: February 22, 2016, 09:46:14 AM »
Pretty clear after South Carolina that despite Trump's win, the overwhelming majority of GOP voters do not want Trump:

South Carolina
239,851 = Votes for Trump
498,066 = Votes for other candidates (a difference of 258,215)

Total (Iowa, NH, SC)
285,684 = Votes for Trump
818,251 = Votes for other candidates (a difference of 532,567)

That said, I agree with Krauthammer that candidates better get behind one candidate (Cruz or Rubio) or Trump may get the magic number of delegates (despite the majority of voters choosing someone other than Trump).  Crazy election season. 

Also, it's pretty cool that the top three in GOP include two Hispanics (or if you’re Ozmo, three white dudes). 

During Rubio's SC speech, there was an Indian female, black dude, and Hispanic dude on the stage, all high level political leaders.  Great progress. 

240 is Back

• Getbig V
  • Complete website for only $300- www.300website.com
« Reply #1186 on: February 22, 2016, 11:05:29 AM »
During Rubio's SC speech, there was an Indian female, black dude, and Hispanic dude on the stage, all high level political leaders.  Great progress. 

Why does race matter to you?

Isn't it about being the most qualified? 

The only "progress" i want to see is the best possible candidates.  You, getting all caught up in "well, it's all about pigmentation".

Just enjoy the great quality the GOP has to offer, and the inspiring frontrunner Trump, with his lifetime of conservative service.

Las Vegas

• Getbig V
  • ! Repent or Perish !
« Reply #1187 on: February 22, 2016, 11:10:09 AM »
LOL

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #1188 on: February 22, 2016, 11:58:53 AM »
He needs to get control of his staff.

Cruz official apologizes over Rubio video alleging Bible diss
Published February 22, 2016
FoxNews.com

A top campaign official for Texas Sen. Ted Cruz apologized Sunday after linking to a video that wrongly depicted Florida Sen. Marco Rubio as trash-talking the Bible.

Campaign spokesman Rick Tyler also told Fox News on Monday that the post was a "mistake."

Tyler originally had linked to a story showing a video of Rubio walking by a Cruz staffer and Cruz’s father Rafael, who were reading the Bible in a hotel lobby. The original subtitles on the video showed Rubio saying to the staffer, “Got a good book there, not many answers in it.”

But after Tyler linked to the story, Rubio communications director Alex Conant tweeted out the same video with what he says are the correct subtitles -- and they tell a very different story.

In them, Rubio actually says of the Bible, “All the answers are in there.”

Conant called the move “another dirty trick” by the Cruz campaign.

Tyler told Fox News on Monday that the campaign made a mistake.

"I posted in haste, I should not have done it," Tyler told Fox News' Martha MacCallum. "It was a mistake and I would not knowingly post something I knew to be false."

Tyler also apologized Sunday on Facebook, noting the Cruz staffer in the video said Rubio made a “friendly and appropriate remark.” (The source of the original report, The Daily Pennsylvanian, has nevertheless stuck by its original transcript of Rubio's remarks.)

Rick Tyler
13 hours ago
I want to apologize to Senator Marco Rubio for posting an inaccurate story about him here earlier today. The story showed a video of the Senator walking past a Ted Cruz staffer seated in the lobby of a hotel reading his Bible. The story misquoted a remark the Senator made to the staffer. I assumed wrongly that the story was correct. According to the Cruz staffer, the Senator made a friendly and appropriate remark. Since the audio was unclear, I should not have assumed the story was correct. I've deleted the post because I would not knowingly post a false story. But the fact remains that I did post it when I should have checked its accuracy first. I regret the mistake.

It is the latest “dirty tricks” accusation to hit the Cruz campaign.

Rubio also criticized the Cruz campaign last week for using a doctored image of Rubio supposedly shaking hands with President Obama. This, after the Cruz campaign also faced accusations of spreading false rumors on Iowa caucus night that Ben Carson was dropping out -- when in fact Carson had only announced he was going to Florida to pick up some fresh clothes.

Cruz held a secret meeting Thursday with Carson in a storage closet to try to clear the air over the Cruz campaign’s tactics. Cruz has described the Iowa caucus incident as a simple mistake, blaming it on a media report regarding Carson's travel plans.

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2016/02/22/cruz-official-apologizes-over-rubio-video-alleging-bible-diss.html?intcmp=hpbt3

Las Vegas

• Getbig V
  • ! Repent or Perish !
« Reply #1189 on: February 22, 2016, 12:07:10 PM »
I'm trying to understand the attraction to Cruz, but it's been very difficult to do.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #1190 on: February 22, 2016, 12:17:06 PM »
I'm trying to understand the attraction to Cruz, but it's been very difficult to do.

His intelligence, willingness to take on the system, accomplishments, and commitment to the Constitution. 

Las Vegas

• Getbig V
  • ! Repent or Perish !
« Reply #1191 on: February 22, 2016, 12:39:23 PM »
His intelligence, willingness to take on the system, accomplishments, and commitment to the Constitution. 

How is he doing that, though?

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #1192 on: February 22, 2016, 12:41:30 PM »
How is he doing that, though?

Go back and look at how he handled Obamacare.  Why do you think so many of his fellow senators don't like him? 

Las Vegas

• Getbig V
  • ! Repent or Perish !
« Reply #1193 on: February 22, 2016, 12:50:39 PM »
Go back and look at how he handled Obamacare.  Why do you think so many of his fellow senators don't like him? 

OK, I will.  Anything else?

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #1194 on: February 22, 2016, 12:53:02 PM »
He needs to get control of his staff.

Cruz official apologizes over Rubio video alleging Bible diss
FoxNews.com

A top campaign official for Texas Sen. Ted Cruz apologized Sunday after linking to a video that wrongly depicted Florida Sen. Marco Rubio as trash-talking the Bible.

Campaign spokesman Rick Tyler also told Fox News on Monday that the post was a "mistake."

Tyler originally had linked to a story showing a video of Rubio walking by a Cruz staffer and Cruz’s father Rafael, who were reading the Bible in a hotel lobby. The original subtitles on the video showed Rubio saying to the staffer, “Got a good book there, not many answers in it.”

But after Tyler linked to the story, Rubio communications director Alex Conant tweeted out the same video with what he says are the correct subtitles -- and they tell a very different story.

Tyler told Fox News on Monday that the campaign made a mistake.

"I posted in haste, I should not have done it," Tyler told Fox News' Martha MacCallum. "It was a mistake and I would not knowingly post something I knew to be false."

Tyler also apologized Sunday on Facebook, noting the Cruz staffer in the video said Rubio made a “friendly and appropriate remark.” (The source of the original report, The Daily Pennsylvanian, has nevertheless stuck by its original transcript of Rubio's remarks.)

Rick Tyler
13 hours ago
I want to apologize to Senator Marco Rubio for posting an inaccurate story about him here earlier today. The story showed a video of the Senator walking past a Ted Cruz staffer seated in the lobby of a hotel reading his Bible. The story misquoted a remark the Senator made to the staffer. I assumed wrongly that the story was correct. According to the Cruz staffer, the Senator made a friendly and appropriate remark. Since the audio was unclear, I should not have assumed the story was correct. I've deleted the post because I would not knowingly post a false story. But the fact remains that I did post it when I should have checked its accuracy first. I regret the mistake.

It is the latest “dirty tricks” accusation to hit the Cruz campaign.

Rubio also criticized the Cruz campaign last week for using a doctored image of Rubio supposedly shaking hands with President Obama. This, after the Cruz campaign also faced accusations of spreading false rumors on Iowa caucus night that Ben Carson was dropping out -- when in fact Carson had only announced he was going to Florida to pick up some fresh clothes.

Cruz held a secret meeting Thursday with Carson in a storage closet to try to clear the air over the Cruz campaign’s tactics. Cruz has described the Iowa caucus incident as a simple mistake, blaming it on a media report regarding Carson's travel plans.

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2016/02/22/cruz-official-apologizes-over-rubio-video-alleging-bible-diss.html?intcmp=hpbt3

Good job.  Exactly what he should have done.

Cruz fires top campaign spokesman over Rubio Bible video
FoxNews.com

Republican presidential candidate Ted Cruz said Monday he’s fired campaign communications director Rick Tyler, after his top spokesman promoted a video that wrongly depicted Florida Sen. Marco Rubio as trash-talking the Bible.

The Texas senator announced that he's asked for the resignation at a press conference Monday afternoon.

“We are not a campaign that is going to question the faith of another candidate. Even if it was true, our campaign should not have sent it. That’s why I’ve asked for Rick Tyler’s resignation,” Cruz said. “The standards of conduct in this campaign have been made absolutely clear.”

Tyler told Fox News on Monday that he made a mistake.

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2016/02/22/cruz-fires-top-campaign-spokesman-over-rubio-bible-video.html

Las Vegas

• Getbig V
  • ! Repent or Perish !
« Reply #1195 on: February 22, 2016, 01:24:10 PM »
"It was a mistake and I would not knowingly post something I knew to be false."

Which is why researching becomes out of the question.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #1196 on: February 22, 2016, 01:25:28 PM »
They better be worried.  Time to start taking this clown seriously.  We had a similar situation in 1994, when Ben Cayetano was elected governor with only 36 percent of the vote because of the number of candidates on the ballot.  

Trump will be an unmitigated disaster for the GOP.

Republican Governors Worried About a Trump Nomination

Image: Republican Governors Worried About a Trump Nomination  Donald Trump (Photo by Jabin Botsford/The Washington Post via Getty Images)
By Cathy Burke   |    Monday, 22 Feb 2016

Some Republican governors are reportedly worried about the down-ballot repercussions of a possible Donald Trump presidential candidacy.

According to the Boston Globe, the governors fear Trump's testy campaign will push voters in 2016 races for governors, state legislators or Congress to support Democrats instead – or not vote all.

During a closed-door meeting Saturday at the National Governors Conference meeting, Mississippi Gov. Phil Bryant says Republican governors discussed the potential for party wide damage – and the need to be "supporting civility" for the rest of the campaign, the Globe reports.

"This divisiveness needs to stop," he said. "And I hope at some point this party and governors around the nation will intervene and let our [candidates] know: This is certainly a contest between them, but it's not a blood sport and it's not something that should hurt the party."

Massachusetts Gov. Charlie Baker also acknowledged "a lot of nervousness," the Globe reports. "I would describe the governors on both sides as having a certain fascination with what's going on," he sai

According to the Globe, Karl Rove, formerly the chief political adviser to President George W. Bush and a frequent Trump critic, spoke to the governors at a private meeting last Friday.

And he was glum about Republican electoral prospects if the real estate billionaire is at the top of the ticket in November given his low polling among women and minority voters, the Globe reports.

"The concern for the party is, we want to make sure we get a candidate that can win, so when we hear about there's a cap on Trump's or anyone else's approval, we have the right to be thinking about the general election," Gov. Matt Mead of Wyoming tells the Globe.

Tennessee Gov. Bill Haslam tells the Globe the governors had held "a lot of conversations about impact" and the importance of the party finding a presidential nominee who can win in November.

"I think this will be a telling week," Haslam said Sunday, the Globe reports. "Obviously, the field narrowed some, and I wouldn't be surprised to see several governors come out this week" to endorse someone from the field of Trump rivals.

http://www.newsmax.com/Politics/gop-governors-worry-trump/2016/02/22/id/715542/#ixzz40vyh3nC6

Las Vegas

• Getbig V
  • ! Repent or Perish !
« Reply #1197 on: February 22, 2016, 01:26:02 PM »
Who knows what this greaseball campaign has gotten away with.  Sorry, but this reflects right on Cruz.  He's no problem burning people and cheating his way down the line.

Las Vegas

• Getbig V
  • ! Repent or Perish !
« Reply #1198 on: February 22, 2016, 01:27:23 PM »
Trump will be an unmitigated disaster for the GOP.

You don't know that.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #1199 on: February 22, 2016, 01:28:04 PM »
You don't know that.

I don't know if the sun will rise tomorrow either.