Author Topic: odds and ends [bodybuilding related.  (Read 74534 times)

funk51

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
odds and ends [bodybuilding related.
« on: December 23, 2021, 10:41:31 AM »

F

funk51

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
Re: odds and ends [bodybuilding related.
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2021, 10:43:10 AM »

F

funk51

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2021, 11:05:24 AM »

&t=28s   

F

funk51

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2021, 11:09:10 AM »

&t=17s   
F

illuminati

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • The Strongest Shall Survive.- - Lest we Forget.
« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2021, 11:23:32 AM »
Some Very Slim Tireless Legs on Vince !!

Charles Atlas would be Proud.

njflex

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • HEY PAISAN
« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2021, 01:26:54 PM »

&t=28s   

arnold was lucky in 2 ways had great skin tone on or off or clean lol'his muscle while in that video he was small but still had traps and some thickness that could still looked pumped,strange that his best bodypart chest looks so deflated.like delts the upper chest loses that 'pop'look when on..he still had great genes to start and went from there with it.

Humble Narcissist

• Getbig V
« Reply #6 on: December 24, 2021, 02:19:10 AM »
H.I.T is dead because it is an inferior way to train.

funk51

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #7 on: December 26, 2021, 03:20:21 PM »
    bodybuilding in video games.   
F

Hypertrophy

• Getbig V
« Reply #8 on: December 26, 2021, 03:42:52 PM »
Inferior to what- doing set after set in the gym?
 I started HIT 20 years ago and eventually plateaued, as you would any lifting method. I am happy where it got me- I currently workout twice a week using dumbbells and maintain all that I have achieved- doing 1 set per exercise. I weigh 210 at 5'9', and am super lean at 190. I couldn't ask for anything more.

Humble Narcissist

• Getbig V
« Reply #9 on: December 27, 2021, 03:14:03 AM »
Inferior to what- doing set after set in the gym?
 I started HIT 20 years ago and eventually plateaued, as you would any lifting method. I am happy where it got me- I currently workout twice a week using dumbbells and maintain all that I have achieved- doing 1 set per exercise. I weigh 210 at 5'9', and am super lean at 190. I couldn't ask for anything more.
Every program stalls after a few weeks. Stagger different programs. Louie Simmons does this with his powerlifters in Conjugate training.

wes

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • What Dire Mishap Has Befallen Thee
« Reply #10 on: December 27, 2021, 04:46:44 AM »
I never bought into that Mentzer bullshit....tried it for a hot minute and dropped it like a hot potato.

Humble Narcissist

• Getbig V
« Reply #11 on: December 27, 2021, 04:57:56 AM »
I never bought into that Mentzer bullshit....tried it for a hot minute and dropped it like a hot potato.
At least back then they didn't have the studies to prove it was not optimal. Now numerous studies have proven it very inferior to other training set and rep schemes. It's funny arguing with those who still swear by it.

wes

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • What Dire Mishap Has Befallen Thee
« Reply #12 on: December 27, 2021, 05:00:55 AM »
At least back then they didn't have the studies to prove it was not optimal. Now numerous studies have proven it very inferior to other training set and rep schemes. It's funny arguing with those who still swear by it.
Yup some harcore advocates still claim it`s the only way to train.............IDIOTS ;D

Spike

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • Kill your ego
« Reply #13 on: December 27, 2021, 05:10:22 AM »
the key is to get your HR elevated with methamphetamine - toots mcgoots

njflex

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • HEY PAISAN
« Reply #14 on: December 27, 2021, 09:17:48 AM »
OLD TIMER 1 HERE DOES IT.

funk51

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #15 on: December 27, 2021, 10:31:33 AM »

&t=45s   

&t=8s
F

Humble Narcissist

• Getbig V
« Reply #16 on: December 27, 2021, 10:41:41 AM »
Never understood PHA training either. Instead of chasing the pump you are running away from it.

funk51

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #17 on: December 27, 2021, 10:50:52 AM »

F

MAXX

• Getbig V
  • MAGA
« Reply #19 on: December 27, 2021, 12:43:37 PM »

Hypertrophy

• Getbig V
« Reply #20 on: December 27, 2021, 03:55:18 PM »
Every program stalls after a few weeks. Stagger different programs. Louie Simmons does this with his powerlifters in Conjugate training.
Louie Simmons lifters are all on the gas.  A natural bodybuilder can put on about ~30 pounds of muscle in his lifetime. There was a longitudinal study years ago of non drug using college athletes and how much muscle they could put on. 40 pounds was in the 99.99%  percentile after 4 years. The average person put on 20 and then it stalled out. You can cycle through all the routines in the world and that isn't going to change.

I went from roughly 160 to 190 using HIT over 3 years (sophomore to 1st year grad school in college). It definitely works. My typical routine ended up being 1 warm-up set, 1 heavy set just short of failure, 6-10 reps.   Twice a week. I stuck to the basic movements and got reasonably strong for my body type (moderately ectomorphic then): 255 bench/405 dead lift/405 squat. My goal was never to be a power lifter. I just wanted to build up because I was sick of being a skinny geek.

Going to failure was too much for me- my nervous system fried. Every 4th week I would go very light or take it off. I then ramped up again the next 3. I think it is pointless to do volume training, but that's me. I'd much prefer to exercise outside than in a gym. My goal was to become a national level bicycle racer and I hit that target.

I'm well aware of the General Adaptation Syndrome and Hans Selye. I became a 4:20 miler in college because I knew how to cycle intense periods with easy periods. Hormonal exhaustion is real.
 I am also aware of the PED syndrome, where people think you can get stronger and bigger indefinitely, haha. At my college gym there was a Junior Mr America and a number of monstrous guys who had trained also with Pete Grymkowski and Danny Padilla. Of course they used drugs- duh.

At the end of the day some people like lots of volume and some people like short and intense. It's all personal preference. But to say HIT doesn't work is inaccurate.

Hypertrophy

• Getbig V
« Reply #21 on: December 27, 2021, 03:57:07 PM »
I like your style of posting Wes- spit it out and move on, haha

AbrahamG

• Getbig V
  • Team Pfizer
« Reply #22 on: December 27, 2021, 04:16:58 PM »
I liked the idea of how Dorian trained.  Ultimately, I felt like I need more so for me it's always 2 working sets per exercise.  Abs I do 3 sets and calves only 1 set per exercise. 

Humble Narcissist

• Getbig V
« Reply #23 on: December 28, 2021, 02:47:35 AM »
Louie Simmons lifters are all on the gas.  A natural bodybuilder can put on about ~30 pounds of muscle in his lifetime. There was a longitudinal study years ago of non drug using college athletes and how much muscle they could put on. 40 pounds was in the 99.99%  percentile after 4 years. The average person put on 20 and then it stalled out. You can cycle through all the routines in the world and that isn't going to change.

I went from roughly 160 to 190 using HIT over 3 years (sophomore to 1st year grad school in college). It definitely works. My typical routine ended up being 1 warm-up set, 1 heavy set just short of failure, 6-10 reps.   Twice a week. I stuck to the basic movements and got reasonably strong for my body type (moderately ectomorphic then): 255 bench/405 dead lift/405 squat. My goal was never to be a power lifter. I just wanted to build up because I was sick of being a skinny geek.

Going to failure was too much for me- my nervous system fried. Every 4th week I would go very light or take it off. I then ramped up again the next 3. I think it is pointless to do volume training, but that's me. I'd much prefer to exercise outside than in a gym. My goal was to become a national level bicycle racer and I hit that target.

I'm well aware of the General Adaptation Syndrome and Hans Selye. I became a 4:20 miler in college because I knew how to cycle intense periods with easy periods. Hormonal exhaustion is real.
 I am also aware of the PED syndrome, where people think you can get stronger and bigger indefinitely, haha. At my college gym there was a Junior Mr America and a number of monstrous guys who had trained also with Pete Grymkowski and Danny Padilla. Of course they used drugs- duh.

At the end of the day some people like lots of volume and some people like short and intense. It's all personal preference. But to say HIT doesn't work is inaccurate.
Every thing works but HIT is not as efficient as staggering systems. You are right about naturals only gaining 30lbs of muscle in a lifetime. I would say 10-20 for most.

A person who is already an adult can come close to their maximum muscular size within 1-2 years. Most start as teenagers and have a skewed view of how much the weight training actually made them gain. If they started at 90lbs and now weigh 180 as an adult they attribute half of their bodyweight to weight training as if they would have stayed 90lbs had they never started lifting.

They have done numerous studies with naturals that show multiple sets worked to fatigue but not failure are the best way to train to make the most gains. A person does make most of their gains off the 1st set but they also gain with a 2nd and 3rd set. Once a person reaches their near max in muscle doing 1 set is probably enough to maintain.

beakdoctor

• Getbig V
  • Cruising on caffeine and blasting with melatonin
« Reply #24 on: December 28, 2021, 06:07:35 AM »

I don't know if it's inferior or not. Weight lifting isn't rocket science.  Overload your muscles, eat , sleep etc. It really is that simple. Drugs and discipline "seperates one from being a champion and one from not being a champion. "

Here's my take on it though: when it's fun or enjoyable then its more worth it. Maybe 2 or 3 warm up sets and 2 or 3 working sets are superfluous prior to your final set or two to failure. Maybe just the 1 or 2 sets to failure is all you need to stimulate growth. But I actually enjoy working out.  I like going to the gym. I plan on an hour or hour and a half most days. 2 hrs is too long but ive done it. Because I enjoy being at the gym and working out.

I tried HIT for about a year or two and actually got a little bigger but it wasn't fun and overall I started to get smooth, fat. I just wasn't doing enough. I went from spending maybe 10 hrs a week working out to about 2 hrs a week. Plus it wasn't fun. I just didn't enjoy working out as much. Just my 2 cents.