« on: May 27, 2014, 10:22:52 PM »
Americans try Filipino Fast Food

ESFitness

• Getbig V
  • i win.
Re: Food
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2014, 10:27:45 PM »

if your Filipino/Chinese spouse cooks you lasagna, does that make it Filipino food? in that case, I eat Filipino food all the time.

Bertha Butt

• Getbig III
  • My happy pussy...
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2014, 07:11:39 AM »
if your Filipino/Chinese spouse cooks you lasagna, does that make it Filipino food? in that case, I eat Filipino food all the time.

I've got some Filipino cookbooks and many dishes are surprisingly European or American, sometimes with a little Asian or Filipino twist.

Bertha Butt

• Getbig III
  • My happy pussy...
Re: Food - Filipino Fast Food Taste Test
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2014, 07:16:41 AM »

Would eat.

Spicy chicken... I think Phreak would ask for some extra chilli with that.  ;D

Gregzs

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2014, 07:13:45 PM »
http://www.thrillist.com/drink/nation/what-s-the-best-grocery-store-coffee-folgers-chock-full-onuts

We got a champion barista to rank the sub-par coffee your parents drink

For coffee aficionados, it can be hard to remember the days before fair-trade, adjective-heavy specialty coffee. But before Counter Culture, or even Starbucks, there were first-wave roasters peddling steel cans of grounds (gasp!), the likes of which are now only seen on visits to your parents' house.

So to see if any of these coffees are actually good to the last drop, we asked Lorenzo Perkins, certified coffee instructor at Cuvée and executive council member of the Barista Guild of America, to put five of the biggest coffee brands through the same rigorous blind-tasting process that his roasting company applies to their own beans.

"This is actually something I think all my colleagues should do. When you're only drinking specialty coffee, you lose that global perspective."

We pillaged the grocery coffee aisle and came away with five contenders: Folgers Classic Roast, Maxwell House French Roast, Chock full o'Nuts Original, Community Coffee Cafe Special, and Yuban.

5. MAXWELL HOUSE
Aromas: Wet dog, burning
Flavors: Fish oil, despair
 "What death tastes like."

4. YUBAN
Aromas: Snickers bar, barn-y
Flavors: Mineral oil, chocolate
 "This tastes better than it smells. It's a close call with Maxwell House, but this edged it out because I can actually swallow it. Bonus points for pleasant graphic design."

3. FOLGERS
Aromas: Unhappy children, wet wool
Flavors: Charred, wet cardboard, artificiality
 "It tastes as if someone sprayed coffee flavor onto coffee beans

2. CHOCK FULL O'NUTS
Aromas: Burnt hair
Flavors: Roasted Styrofoam, gamey
 "It's savory, kind of like you're eating wild boar meat that's about to turn. That said, this isn't that bad. I wouldn't return it if I was eating in a Denny's."

1. COMMUNITY COFFEE
Aromas: Chocolate, honey, wet paper
Flavors: Actual acidity, syrup-like sweetness, oh-sweet-surrender & mercy
 "That's coffee! This could pass for a low-grade specialty coffee."

CONCLUSION
After the relentless tasting, Lorenzo poured himself a cup of Cuvée that he'd brewed several hours prior. He originally considered the batch foul by his normal standards, but after a few hours of cupping the big brands it took on an entirely new character: it was suddenly really, really good.

Although Lorenzo literally gagged several times during the test, and the rest of the staff remarked that the roastery smelled like a sewer lit on fire, by the end of the day he conceded that both Chock full 'oNuts and Community Coffee were not as gross as he expected and are actually deserving of some respect. The other grounds confirmed that most of the titans of first-wave coffee are truly washed up.

Bertha Butt

• Getbig III
  • My happy pussy...
« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2014, 10:06:57 PM »
I can't stomach coffee (litterally), but grocery store bought tea can be just as bad. Most teas are bitter and adstringent and lack a true herbal tea taste. So, with tea I'm a real snob and only buy from expensive specialty stores. Hell, I even import tea from abroad. :-[

Roger Bacon

• Getbig V
  • Roger Bacon tries to be witty and fails
« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2014, 10:08:01 PM »
Hell, I even import tea from abroad. :-[

Louisiana Brand Ice Tea from the US

;D

Bertha Butt

• Getbig III
  • My happy pussy...
« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2014, 03:02:02 AM »
Louisiana Brand Ice Tea from the US

;D

No, our FDA equivalent thinks most US foods are not safe to eat. So I can't import those.

I buy Russian blends in a shop in Paris. Without having to go to that hell hole. Long live the internetz!

Roger Bacon

• Getbig V
  • Roger Bacon tries to be witty and fails
« Reply #8 on: May 29, 2014, 04:05:02 AM »
No, our FDA equivalent thinks most US foods are not safe to eat. So I can't import those.

I buy Russian blends in a shop in Paris. Without having to go to that hell hole. Long live the internetz!

I was kidding, I agree with your FDA  :-X

24KT

• Getbig V
  • Gold Savings Account Rep +1 (310) 409-2244
« Reply #9 on: May 30, 2014, 08:54:36 PM »

Aw man, ...such a disappointment. I thought I'd get to see Americans being introduced to balut.  :'(
w

Gregzs

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #10 on: May 30, 2014, 11:39:55 PM »
Aw man, ...such a disappointment. I thought I'd get to see Americans being introduced to balut.  :'(

I think it would be difficult to mass produce duck eggs with the timing just right in America. Chicken eggs are everywhere here though but the FDA might rule that the preparation of balut is a health risk.

dr.chimps

• Getbig V
  • Chimpus ergo sum
« Reply #11 on: May 31, 2014, 01:07:46 AM »
July 1st. 11 tics.  Brewers. Let's not suck.

Gregzs

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #12 on: June 04, 2014, 08:38:17 PM »
Bacon Wrapped Grilled Cheese Sticks

http://dudefoods.com/bacon-wrapped-grilled-cheese-sticks/

I keep thinking that one day I’ll get sick of eating so much bacon, but amazingly it still hasn’t happened. In fact, as time goes by I only seem to be growing more and more fond of it as I keep incorporating it into more of my meals, which with how much I already eat doesn’t even seem like it should be possible.

Recently I came up with an idea to make some grilled cheese sticks, but after a quick Google search I found that tons of people have already made and written about that same exact thing. What I didn’t see though were any grilled cheese sticks that were wrapped in bacon!

Do you know what’s even better than how great these Bacon Wrapped Grilled Cheese Sticks taste? How easy they are to make! Then again, pretty much everything I make is easy because I have absolutely zero cooking experience whatsoever.

Alright, so you want to make your own Bacon Wrapped Grilled Cheese Sticks? Start off by frying up a couple grilled cheese sandwiches and then cutting each sandwich into for or five pieces. Then, wrap bacon strips around your grilled cheese sticks and to finish things off you can either drop them in a deep fryer for 45 seconds or so, or just put them on a baking sheet in your oven for 17 minutes at 375°.

I’m pretty sure I’ve yet to come across a food that isn’t better when it’s wrapped in bacon. It’s not only  the addition of bacon that makes it good though, it’s the fact that as the grease drips from the bacon it’s usually soaked up by whatever it is that the bacon is wrapped around.

Gregzs

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #13 on: June 21, 2014, 11:31:33 AM »
http://laughingsquid.com/draft-beer-flavored-jelly-belly-jelly-beans/

The Jelly Belly Candy Company has created a new jelly bean flavor that tastes like a frosty glass full of tasty draft beer. The alcohol-free Draft Beer Jelly Belly jelly beans are available to purchase online from their official store.

Three years in the making, Jelly Belly launches Draft Beer Jelly Belly jelly beans. The world’s first beer flavor jelly bean is inspired by hefeweizen ale with an effervescent, clean, crisp and wheaty taste. Take a behind-the-scenes look at what goes into crafting this unique bean with members of the Jelly Belly flavor team (based in California, USA) and commentary from The Beeroness, Jackie Dodd. Alcohol-free, four calories per bean, OU Kosher. Also free from fat, gluten and gelatin. Vegetarian and made in a peanut-free facility.

Gregzs

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #14 on: June 24, 2014, 03:04:27 PM »

Gregzs

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #15 on: July 03, 2014, 10:00:00 PM »
http://www.buzzfeed.com/christinebyrne/xxl-watermelon-jell-o-shots?utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=BuzzFeed+73&utm_content=BuzzFeed+73+CID_65f2c2df4ad43229b97f88224f0a110a&utm_source=Campaign%20Monitor&utm_term=These%20XXL%20watermelon%20Jell-O%20shots%20are%20worth%20bringing%20to%20your%20celebration

Here’s How To Make XXL Watermelon Jell-O Shots

1. Paper towels
 2. 2 large bowls (one to mix the Jell-O, one for the watermelon you’ll scoop out)
 3. 2 small sheet trays or baking dishes (each needs to be big enough to fit a watermelon half)
 4. Liquid measuring cup
 5. Electric kettle (or you can boil water another way)
 6. Cutting board
 7. Kitchen spoon
 8. Whisk
 9. Chef’s knife

Watermelon Jell-O Shots

Recipe by Christine Byrne

Makes about 30 wedge shots

Ingredients
 1 12–16 pound watermelon
 4 cups vodka
 4 3-ounce boxes red Jell-O mix
 2 8-ounce boxes unflavored gelatin

Preparation
 1. Using a large chef’s knife, cut the watermelon into two equal halves, lengthwise.

2. Use your knife to slice all the way around the perimeter of the watermelon flesh, about an inch from the rind. Be careful not to pierce through the skin, as this will lead to your Jell-O leaking out. Then use a kitchen spoon to scrape out the rest and create a smooth bowl with roughly 1/2-inch red watermelon flesh left on the rind.

3. Line two small, rimmed baking sheets with paper towels in a way that creates a bed for your watermelon bowls. The idea is to create enough support to keep the watermelon bowls from rolling at all while they’re in the fridge. Put one bowl in the center of each tray and set aside.

4. In a large mixing bowl, combine the Jell-O mix and the unflavored gelatin. Add 4 cups of boiling water and whisk until the gelatin is completely dissolved, about 2 minutes. Add the vodka all at once and whisk just to combine.

5. Pour the Jell-O mixture into the watermelon bowls, dividing evenly. Carefully place the Jell-O filled watermelon bowls in the fridge, and refrigerate until set, about 4 hours.

6. When Jell-O is set, cut each half into 1-inch slices, crosswise, then cut each slice into 2–3 wedges, and serve.

Gregzs

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #16 on: July 13, 2014, 08:45:23 PM »

Gregzs

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #17 on: July 19, 2014, 09:57:58 AM »
ANTOINE VAILLANT - SUPER AWESOME KITCHEN STUFF - NO FAKE NO BAKE FRUITY NUTTY BAR

Gregzs

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #18 on: July 23, 2014, 07:41:28 PM »

Gregzs

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #19 on: July 27, 2014, 11:42:15 AM »

Gregzs

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #20 on: July 27, 2014, 12:29:40 PM »
http://www.thrillist.com/eat/los-angeles/orange-county/oc-fair-food-deep-fried-doritos-chile-relleno-burger-and-more

The 9 most unbelievable new foods from the OC Fair

The best thing about the OC Fair isn't the janky rides run by dudes half your age who'll probably kill you -- that honor is instead reserved for the nine, new, mostly deep-fried things pictured below (which will also probably kill you). If you dare, they're all available from now until August 10th.

Bacon A-Fair's Cave Man Club
This? This is only the GREATEST THING THAT'S EVER EXISTED. Yes, it is a smoked turkey leg, totally wrapped in bacon, and -- you guessed it -- deep-fried. If there was ever another, better thing that ever existed, it hasn't, so stop lying about it.

Gregzs

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #21 on: August 10, 2014, 08:33:14 PM »
Fatburger introduces a burger made of... burgers

http://www.thrillist.com/eat/guy-protein-style-burger-with-beef-patty-buns

It might be time to officially mark 2014 as the Year of the Meat Bun. First KFC brought back the Double Down, then the all-bacon bun arrived just in time for the 4th, and now Fatburger has debuted a "protein-style" burger with a beef patty bun. So sorry, Year of the Horse. You never stood a chance.

The new burger launched in Fatburger's just-opened Beverly Hills location, but is now making its way to all of the chain's national outposts. It consists of two lean beef patties as the bun, with mayo, lettuce, pickles, relish, onion, and mustard nestled in between. (Of course, you can also add extras like bacon, which you absolutely should.) Fatburger is apparently trying to grab the gluten-free crowd with their latest burger, but if the Double Down fanbase is any indication, they should expect plenty of questionable tattoos.

xxxLinda

• Getbig V
  • thank you Ron & Getbig, I've had so much fun
« Reply #22 on: August 11, 2014, 02:17:33 PM »
How funny

Are you aware that the best high street (food to take away) bakery in England is called Greggs?

They do sausage rolls, supposedly the best in the country.  Google it.  Your thread is too funny so I thought I'd contribute

xxxLinda
London England

xxxLinda

• Getbig V
  • thank you Ron & Getbig, I've had so much fun
« Reply #23 on: August 11, 2014, 02:37:29 PM »
x

Gregzs

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #24 on: August 17, 2014, 12:15:46 AM »
Thanks Linda! I had no idea. I need to add that to my bucket list.