Author Topic: Just How fast is your internet connection? Cost? country?  (Read 3474 times)

sync pulse

• Getbig V
  • Only be sure always to call it please, 'research'
Re: Just How fast is your internet connection? Cost? country?
« Reply #25 on: January 27, 2012, 12:19:37 AM »
sweet. Do they have fios in austin?
Yes they do...
I live in Houston though...but even in AT&T cities the new neighborhoods have fiber based Uverse...It's the older established developments that have copper phone lines that have been there since the Korean war that cause problems with Uverse...In Houston the Heights, Oak Forest, and Memorial are the worst telecom infrastructure in the state for the digital signals of modern telecom...Ironically, Memorial an area of high end mansions, is the worst of all...Old F2 lines on poles...home owners who took over the utility easements with trees, bamboo groves, and all sort of outbuildings constructed  so that it is very difficult to get up the poles to do installs or troubleshoot excessive bit errors...
I was given an install to do at a house that had a palm tree planted such at it was impossible to gain access to the terminals on a pole...They yelled at me when I told them that the palm tree would have to be cut down.

And the houses themselves are a problem with multiple attics and lines that branch every whichway that are severely inadequate for digital signals...We call Memorial a "Telecom ghetto"

pedro01

• Getbig V
  • Hello Hunior
« Reply #26 on: January 27, 2012, 01:45:03 AM »
Well - I reckon I'll have the worst cost/bandwidth ratio...

Bangkok...

Local connection - 6Mb
International connection 1Mb (unshared)

Cost 4,200 Baht/month or $134/month

sync pulse

• Getbig V
  • Only be sure always to call it please, 'research'
« Reply #27 on: January 27, 2012, 10:19:57 AM »
sweet. Do they have fios in austin?

I should elaborate...if the wireline phone company in an area is Verizon, they will Have Fios...if the wireline company in an area is AT&T, they will have Uverse.