Author Topic: Voters Express Fury Over Gas Increase  (Read 483 times)

24KT

• Getbig V
  • Gold Savings Account Rep +1 (310) 409-2244
Voters Express Fury Over Gas Increase
« on: September 12, 2008, 08:07:56 PM »
Voters Express Fury Over Gas Increase
Friday September 12, 2008
CityNews.ca Staff

Gas Prices.

Neither one is a four letter word, but you wouldn't know it by the scowls on the faces of drivers across the GTA Friday. If the cost of a fill-up had to skyrocket, there couldn't have been a better time than when politicians are looking for your vote.

Many are suggesting this could be your only chance to hold their feet to the fire on the issue, despite the fact most admit there's really not much they can do. Some voters are demanding an immediate cut to the GST, a plan the Harper Tories have refused, calling it a solution that won't solve the problem.

What is the message you want to ask your prospective MP on this issue? Here's a sampling of some of the angry letters sent to CityNews on the issue since the price went up at midnight.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"I do believe that this should be an election issue mainly because governments CAN do something about it if they really wanted to. It all goes to POWER, INFLUENCE and MONEY of which politicians are all about. Need I say more!"
Charles Payne

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Gas prices in Canada (or North America for that matter) seem high, but overseas in Europe gas prices in some countries exceed $2.50 per litre. Our problem in Toronto, for example, is the urban and suburban sprawl that encourages people to live wide distances from each other and their work, thus requiring the heavy use of motor vehicles that depend on gasoline.

"If people could warm up to the idea of high density living instead of big houses with driveways and backyards,  public transit, cycling, and walking would become the most efficient  means of transportation.  It's really the attitude and lifestyle that guides this overuse of gasoline and oil products.  No government will change that. Only individuals and their attitudes will change that. Good luck!!!"
Mike Litvak

"Ridiculous? No. It's outright theft by greedy oil companies, unconscionable speculators, and by less than ethical provincial and Federal governments who refuse to freeze outrageous taxes on fuel ... Remember this when you go to the polls ... I'm sick of being robbed by those that are supposed to have our best interests at heart. Gas IS NOT a luxury. It's a necessity! Enough is enough!!!"
Ron. (Overtaxed from Newmarket.)

"With the price of oil being [under] $100 per barrel, we watched the gas price increase by 13 cents a litre last night. This is outrageous and criminal and I as many others I'm sure would like to know why the government is not stepping in to help the plight of consumers, while these bandits are stealing from our wallets!"
Trish DeSantos

"What are the federal and the provincial governments doing about the monopoly, the oil companies and speculators have on the energy market? The government has the power to make this country a brighter and better place to live. They should be asking themselves what can I do for the people of this great country rather than what the people can do for them."
Ryan Sookhdeo

"What's going on at the pumps? Gas prices fell down terminally ... Generally the rule of thumb is every penny for every dollar gas goes up or down, we should be paying almost one dollar at the pump ... Who is doing this to us? Who is making all this money? It seems when gas per barrel goes up, the next day they change the prices at the pumps but when gas per barrel drops we don't see that drop next day at the pump. 

"What the hell is going on in Canada?  Are people so rich that they don't care or they don't know?"
Khurram

And finally the other side of the coin, a position you don't hear that often. But it's also food for thought.

"Even in the face of the tough facts though, you see the public having very little clue! Should the government reduce gas taxes? In favour of what? Everyone thinks taxes should be lower, but who will then pay for the health care costs, policing, courts and all the other systems that drivers ultimately use?"
Justin C. Peters
w

Tapper

• Getbig IV
  • You're an SMF!
Re: Voters Express Fury Over Gas Increase
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2008, 08:32:57 PM »
Jag is frothing at the mouth and is cooking up an extra batch of worthless MPG pills.

24KT

• Getbig V
  • Gold Savings Account Rep +1 (310) 409-2244
Re: Voters Express Fury Over Gas Increase
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2008, 08:34:58 PM »
Here's hoping your tank was on empty. Your mom's was!

Dude, you don't know who you're talking to, do you?  Whenever my tank is on empty, ...it's a good thing!  :D

I don't pay for gasoline. I go to the busiest self-serve station I can find, ...and I get in the longest line-up...
...and I make a big deal about putting MPG-Crumbs in the tank. People always ask "What are you doing?"

So i tell them.   :)   You'd be surprised to see how many stares and how many questions you get when you've got one of these things going into your gas tank.

it's an MPG-cap crusher, crushes the caplets into crumbs and cuts down on the dissolve time.
I don't really need it personally, 'cause the caps dissolve very easily in gasoline, ...but it's an attention-getter.

Sometimes, as I'm pumping up, ...just to be a little cheeky, I'll occasionally even ask:

"Hey how much is gas on that side of the pump, ...'cause on this side, ...it's FREE!"

w