Author Topic: Oldtimer1  (Read 431505 times)

IroNat

• Getbig V
  • The only constant in life is change. – Heraclitus
Re: Oldtimer1
« Reply #1525 on: December 02, 2020, 03:04:14 PM »
Squat-rest/grow-Squat-rest/grow-Squat-rest/grow...

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #1526 on: December 03, 2020, 10:52:15 AM »
Doing nothing physical today.

Primemuscle

• Getbig V
« Reply #1527 on: December 03, 2020, 01:04:46 PM »
Leg day:

Leg press 2 x 12
Squat machine 2 x 10
Dumbbell squat 1 x 12
Stiff dead 1 x 6
leg extension 2 x 20
Seated leg curl 2 x 15

Single dumbbell ab side bend 1 x 15
Hanging straight leg raise 2 x 22
Hip ups lying on back 1 x 26

Standing calf raise 2 x 15
Seated calf raise 2 x 15
tibalis work 1 x 20

neck work four sides.

Said it before. I'm really liking the squat machine. My thighs and butt are sore as hell after I use this and I rarely get muscle soreness from lifting. Joint and tendon pain, a big yes but rarely muscle soreness. The squat machine for me hits the thighs perfect. Maybe my chicken legs will grow.  ;D

Let me know if your 'chicken legs' grow. Mine are chicken legs as well. Hips around the widest point are 38" and 22.5" thighs. My calves are maybe 15".

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #1528 on: December 03, 2020, 02:07:38 PM »
Thighs 24.5 and calves 14.5 here.  Measured thighs at the largest point. I weight 185lbs at 5'8".  Never heard a bodybuilder measure their hips.

Primemuscle

• Getbig V
« Reply #1529 on: December 03, 2020, 03:02:33 PM »
Thighs 24.5 and calves 14.5 here.  Measured thighs at the largest point. I weight 185lbs at 5'8".  Never heard a bodybuilder measure their hips.

The reason I mentioned hips is because at their widest point the measurement includes the glutes. Squats not only increase quad size but also the size of the gluteal muscles. I'm 2" taller than you are and weigh about 10 lbs less. However, I have relatively short legs.

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #1530 on: December 03, 2020, 04:15:22 PM »
The reason I mentioned hips is because at their widest point the measurement includes the glutes. Squats not only increase quad size but also the size of the gluteal muscles. I'm 2" taller than you are and weigh about 10 lbs less. However, I have relatively short legs.

Very true. The glutes are the largest muscles in the body. They are  the main mover in jumping, sprinting, lifting from the ground and much more. Squats, deadlifts, leg press and many other exercises exercise the glutes.

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #1531 on: December 04, 2020, 12:38:11 PM »
Delt and arms day. I tried the so called Arnold press. It just felt awkward. Holding the weight in the curl position just felt weird to press from with the twist. Couldn't use real weight. Switched back to conventional dumbbell presses trying to get into a good position to avoid shoulder pain. Little tweaks in positioning make a big difference.

Also tried the upright row with dumbbells with external rotation as a rehab exercise. Hard to explain in print but as you pull up you externally  rotate on the way up with the hands leading the elbows doing an outward circle on the rise with the two dumbbells.

My delt dumbbell laterals were also done with thumbs up bent over slightly.  Wish I knew these things when I was younger I'm sure I would have less problems with my delts now.

Other changes is I now do my barbell curls with a narrow grip. It really changes the curl to a peak exercise by supinating the hands.

Back to using the ab wheel.

I feel I could get a better pump doing more sets. I know I can. Will it mean better growth? I don't know. One trainer wrote  he used to train thighs really heavy for sets of 8-10 reps but couldn't get his thighs to grow. He decided to give a  trial with high reps. For example he was using 50 reps in the leg press. He said this made his thighs grow again. After awhile he took it down to 25 reps and was still growing. He felt it improved circulation to the muscle.  He soon applied that to other body parts and felt it made a major improvement. Not arguing high reps are better than low. Just relaying his experience.

Arnold dumbbell press 2 x 8 (Felt really awkward. I was using moderate weights and kept feeling out of the groove)
Conventional dumbbell press standing 2 x 10
Dumbbell delt laterals 2 x 12 (thumbs up slightly bend over)
Seated rear dumbbell delt laterals 2 x 10
Rope face pulls 2 x 12 ( Should be on everyone's list of exercises for shoulder pain)
Barbell shrugs 2 x 10
Dumbbell upright rows with external rotation with the hands leading 1 x 10 (Done as a rehab exercise.)

Conventional tricep pushdowns 2 x 10
Single dumbbell two hands seated tricep extentions 2 x 12 ( I lean back against a scott curl attachment spun backwards)
Reverse grip single arm tricep extension holding a D handle 2  x 12

Alternate dumbbell curls 2 x 8
Narrow grip barbell curls 2  x 10
Concentration curl 2 x 12

Wrist curls 2 x 25
Wrist extensions 2  x15
Ivanko gripper 2 x 20

Ab wheel  2 x 22

rehab stretch 1 x 10 dumbbell pullover stretching out the shoulder. Light weight and done for the stretch and not development.

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #1532 on: December 06, 2020, 11:46:53 AM »
8 sets of 440 yard intervals.  Last three in the high seven minute pace range. Hope to get to that 8 MPH range in a week or two. That is if I don't break down. Hit the bag too for two rounds. Hitting the bag is outstanding cardio too. Nice to do something explosive in exercise.

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #1533 on: December 07, 2020, 10:59:04 AM »
Going back this week to one set to failure. Shoulder and Achilles are feeling the best they have felt in a year.   Wish I knew what I know now about injury prevention.  In no particular order I will list some thoughts.   Maybe this stuff only applies to me. Even doing a “harmful” exercise you could get away with it for years and in some cases decades before it comes to bite you.  Typing this in a phone at work and I can’t stand typing on glass.

1.Press behind the neck.  I have mixed feelings about this one. Reason being it promotes flexibility which is healthy for the shoulder.  It’s often repeated that it causes impingement.  I used it for over 30 years with zero problems.  Now I have a bad shoulder  and I can’t do them.   Is it a lack of flexibility or is it jamming my shoulder?

2. Chest flies: Putting your arm out like a lever against the joint while impinging the tendon is not a good idea.

3. Benching without keeping the elbows tight to the body is a mistake I’ve done for years.  Not doing this puts the joint in a position that isn’t healthy for the joint and it also limits how much you can lift. 

4. Decline bench.  Found this is one of the healthiest movements for the chest.  It also hits the chest hard.

5. Pull downs with a straight bar.  These aggravated my shoulder and when I changed to a supinate medium grip M.A.G bar it became a pain free movement.

6.  Too much lower back work.  At one point during my training in my 20’s I did cleans, pulls, dead lifts, stiff deads, power lifting squat and back extensions in the same week.  Needless to say  my back went  out a lot. Now through most of my 40’s, 50's and 60's my lower back is bullet proof.

7.  Hanging leg raises decompress the spine and assists lower back health.  Not a cure all but it sure helps. 

8.  If you have a shoulder problem doing the pouring the pitcher dumbbell laterals is unhealthy because it impinges the tendon. Keep your  thumb up and bend slightly forward.  Your delt will thank you for not doing this exercise for decades. A bad exercise you might get away with for a year or a couple of decades but for the majority it's going to bite you eventually.

9. When using rotator cuff training it’s not a development exercise but rehab health one.  Smooth slow movements with light weights.  Trying to make your delt healthy and not cause more damage by jerking heavy weight on your rotator cuff muscles. 

10.  Stretch the delt out. So many ways to do that. Learn the various stretches. The bench especially contributes to shoulder inflexibility.  Wish I knew how to use them but using Old fashion Indian club swings increases the range of motion in all planes and directions.  A guy at the gym explained how it helped his bad shoulder. As lifters we over use weights in the same movement time after time when shoulders move in so many directions that you can get an overuse injury by making  the shoulder tight making it primed for a tear.  Do rotator cuff work, stretch and do some dynamic movements with Indian clubs.

11.  Face pulls have aided my shoulder health. It hits a spot no other exercise does and counters the pull from all that pressing.

12. If you're in your 60's and were a really good sprinter in your youth don't think you can rip 40 yard all out repeats. You think you are still explosive but damn that Achilles rip isn't fun. Damn it felt like I was as fast as I was in my youth till fate grabbed me said, "You see that grey hair on top of your head?  Cut the nonsense."

These are just a few of my thoughts .  I’m at work so I get interrupted. Might continue this at a later time.

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #1534 on: December 08, 2020, 09:24:44 AM »
Trained legs hard today. Early morning workout before work. I’m at work sitting here like a zombie. 

Thought of another thing that could be problematic to health for older guys.  Doing squats and hacks can compress the spine causing nerve pain.  Something about some hack machines that really can do a number on the spine. Safer alternatives are dumbbell squats, lunges  and the leg press.  Guys doing dumbbell squats disregard them thinking they squat 300lbs so they need two 150lbs dumbbells. If you keep your back upright and sink your butt down then two 85 lbs dumbbells can put you in a world of hurt.  No weight squats are fantastic too.  I know Universe winner Wilf Sylvester and Serge Nubret used them.  I just heard of a third pro but the name escapes me now.

Thought of another point.  You know the calf drill.  Get an extreme calf stretch for maximum development.  I think that’s a mistake for so many, especially older guys.  Coming out of a maximum stretch under load is not healthy for the Achilles or for the plantar area.  If you want to keep that Achilles healthy use walking, running and walking on an incline can contribute to keeping it pliable.  Pushing out of an extreme stretch under load can injure it. I remember reading about the Sprinter Ben Johnson’s coach stopping calf work in their lifting routine.  I wonder if he came to the same conclusion? I know after calf work the day after I have trouble with my runs. Again this these thoughts are my opinions and my empirical knowledge.  Consult your doctor or physical therapist. 

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #1535 on: December 10, 2020, 06:49:11 PM »
Back day Yates style. Used slightly heavier weight than I normally do. I try to do everything strict with a full range of motion. The reps are very controlled both positive and negative.  I don't use momentum by heaving the weight.

M.A.G pulldown 1 x 12 150lbs (Upright back and all the way out and I touch the upper part of my chest on the down stroke. I know I could use a lot more weight if I used the lean back method but I think my strict method is working for me.)
Seated cable row 1 x 14 180lbs (all the way out and back)
Dumbbell row off a bench 1 x 14 85lbs ( dead hang and all the way up)
Reverse grip pulldown 1 x 13 (Going to have think of an alternative. Gives my shoulder area grief)
Deadlift 1 x 6  315lbs (Nearly dropped it on the 6th.  I just started using gripper work earlier in the week and my grip seems worse. Very controlled deads. I try to feel the negative too by going down slow. The gym owner of the commercial gym I go to said I do deads very slow. It's by design. Far too many lift the weight then practically drop it for the negative)
Weighted back extensions 1 x 20 25lbs plate behind my head.

Ab wheel 1x25
Weighted crunches 1 x 35 15lbs behind head (One of those exercises if you use too much weight you can be delusional that you are doing the exercise properly for the abs. I think I'm dropping down to 10lbs next time. )

IroNat

• Getbig V
« Reply #1536 on: December 12, 2020, 07:38:30 AM »

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #1537 on: December 13, 2020, 01:34:25 PM »
Took the weekend off. Did nothing. I'll kick in on Monday.

Iron nat I got the Serge Nubret free hand no weight squats off of the Three More Reps book series. Wilf Sylvester no weight body weight squats was in an article in a Weider mag. I have both in my house.

IroNat

• Getbig V
« Reply #1538 on: December 13, 2020, 02:34:02 PM »
I remember that book.

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #1539 on: December 14, 2020, 05:07:54 PM »
Had my Yates one set to failure week last week. Back to two work sets per exercise after warm up if necessary. First set is near failure and the second is to failure. Early morning work out. Had a great pump. I don't know why.  Just felt the pump in my back after just one set. Felt strong so I slowed the reps  when I could. Thinking I didn't do cardio for the week could be the reason I felt strong and the reason for the strong pump.  Many times doing cardio too intensely will take it out of your weight work out.

I did back and chest. Old school split that worked then and works now. I believe in doing a full range of motion and if in doubt I slow the cadence down of the rep. Simple physics. A weight moved a greater distance is more work than a weight moved a shorter distance. So much of bodybuilding is pure bullshit. When I see a guy sit in bench to do delt dumbbell presses and slide his ass out a couple of inches so it's a semi incline bench. Then they go no lower than the upper arms parallel to the ground which is a half rep in my book. Sure you can grab the 85lbs and tell people that's the weight you use but it sure would be more work if you were standing and going all the way down. My thoughts about form will be on this post.

Pulldowns with a supinate MAG bar 2 x 10  (I don't know if I'm right with this. I do it strict with an upright back. All the way out to stretch and I touch the upper chest with the bar. I know the majority do a lean back heave so it's half a pulldown and half a row. Guys with great lats use this method and a ton more weight can be used. Going to stick with my version but I could be wrong doing this. Maybe the answer lies in between. Lean back somewhat but do them strict with a full range of motion.

Seated lat rows with a V handle 2 x 12 (Another exercise I do strict. Watching guys in the gym I noticed most use a short range of motion. Neither all the way out nor all the way back.)

Dumbbell rows on a bench 2 x 10 (Dead hang and all the way up. I was on T nation and saw three videos of guys instructing how to do this exercise and I wanted to scream at my computer. Sloppy and a short range of motion.)

Reverse grip pulldown 2 x 10 (do these with a narrow grip and it can impinge the shoulder. I'm stronger with a narrow grip but doing them with a medium grip gets a thank you from my bad shoulder.

Dumbbell flat bench 2 x 8 (I go as low as I can. Since I'm not using heavy weights due to my shoulder I try to make a light weight heavy. I keep my elbows close to the body but not super tight. Just enough just to keep my shoulder happy.)

Decline dumbbell bench 2 x 8  (If you haven't done these or haven't never done these you have to give it another try. One of the best pec exercises and for me zero delt/ pec tie in pain. It can really be a great save for guys with comprised, injured worn out shoulders )

Weighted dips 2 x 10 ( I know many have problems with these but it never gives my joints any problems.)

Push ups 2 x max ( I think there is something really healthy about training the pecs with pushups. Your back isn't locked on bench and everything moves the way it's intended to move)

Dead lifts 2 x 4 ( go slow on the negative. In the gym it seems to be the norm to only do the positive stroke. Seen too many practically drop the weight on the negative. I know it pisses off the gym owner. Just prior to covid he bought rubber bumper plates and put up a sign to only use them for deadlifting. No wonder so many gyms out law deadlifts.

Weighted back extensions 2 x 15 ( I give this exercise a lot of credit for the good health of my lower back. I use the old school horizontal bench and not that terrible 45 degree job you see everywhere. The 45 degree one the resistance drops off to nothing near the top. The horizontal one is felt through to the top. Add the semi stiff dead and you have a complete range of motion exercise for the lower back. I do the semi stiff dead on leg day.)

Ab wheel roll out 2 x 22
Seated knee pull ins 2 x 25
Pulley crunches 1 x 60

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #1540 on: December 16, 2020, 10:44:15 AM »
Trained legs this Wednesday.  Really felt exhausted prior but I push on through it. Feel like I got hit by a Mack truck tired. The workout was productive though. I felt I didn't cheat any exercise and got the reps in.

Bad snow event expected. I can hear the slush and wind beginning.

Leg press 2 x 12 Four plates a side and some 5lbs. Bent the legs completely.
Squat machine 2 x 10 2 plates a side. (Bent my legs until they couldn't go lower on this squat machine. Said it before. Some designs of leg presses seem more hip dominate. Mine is thigh and I can actually fully bend my legs like a deep olympic squat)
Dumbbell squats 1 x 12 80lbs dumbbells (ass to grass with an upright back)
stiff deads 2 x 6 205lbs (on a block and a good stretch)
leg extensions 2 x 20
seated leg curls 2 x 15 (pad that goes on top of thigh was really pushing on a sensitive part of the thigh)

Standing calf 2 x 15
Seated calf 2 x 15
tibalis work 1x 20

Neck work: one set per side.

There has to be an easier hobby.  This is pure work. My friend once said that lifting weights is like hitting yourself in the head with a base ball bat. It feels so good when you stop.

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #1541 on: December 17, 2020, 04:57:39 PM »
Day off of training.  I was sitting around thinking how I did the press behind the head for 40 years without a problem.  I use to go all the way down to the traps every rep too. Now I don’t use them.  Too much pain.  Today I just wanted to see if I could do them.  I had an empty bar and couldn’t go down further than about half way down my head.  I did six reps.  I added two tens to bring it to 65lbs for six.  This time I got it to my traps.  It hurt but not extremely so. Brought the weight to 75lbs for another 6 reps.  All the way down to the traps and up.  I could feel slight strain but I also felt my shoulders loosening up.  Went to 95lbs and took it off the squat rack for another six. Is this really happening?  I put 115lbs.  I did it but felt like I was tempting fate with my bad shoulder. Final weight was 135 lbs. All pushed off my traps. 

I want to see if my shoulder scream in protest later or is this really working to loosen up my shoulder?  Curios to see how I wake up tomorrow. Tomorrow is my real delt and arms. If my shoulder feels good I might start back with the press behind the neck. 

ThisisOverload

• Getbig V
« Reply #1542 on: December 17, 2020, 05:03:44 PM »
That's a good amount of weight. I've never really done them because i have long arms and they always felt uncomfortable. Same thing with behind the head pulldowns.

I know a lot of people that swear by them, maybe just a little stretching and loosening up will help.

Primemuscle

• Getbig V
« Reply #1543 on: December 17, 2020, 05:07:10 PM »
Day off of training.  I was sitting around thinking how I did the press behind the head for 40 years without a problem.  I use to go all the way down to the traps every rep too. Now I don’t use them.  Too much pain.  Today I just wanted to see if I could do them.  I had an empty bar and couldn’t go down further than about half way down my head.  I did six reps.  I added two tens to bring it to 65lbs for six.  This time I got it to my traps.  It hurt but not extremely so. Brought the weight to 75lbs for another 6 reps.  All the way down to the traps and up.  I could feel slight strain but I also felt my shoulders loosening up.  Went to 95lbs and took it off the squat rack for another six. Is this really happening?  I put 115lbs.  I did it but felt like I was tempting fate with my bad shoulder. Final weight was 135 lbs. All pushed off my traps. 

I want to see if my shoulder scream in protest later or is this really working to loosen up my shoulder?  Curios to see how I wake up tomorrow. Tomorrow is my real delt and arms. If my shoulder feels good I might start back with the press behind the neck.

So, you actually did train today even if it was only your rear delts, traps, triceps and anterior serratus.

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #1544 on: December 17, 2020, 07:03:30 PM »
So, you actually did train today even if it was only your rear delts, traps, triceps and anterior serratus.

More like goofing around. I get in these moods where I have to try stuff. Sometimes it's a new stretch, a weight movement I never used/rarely used or I get an idea.   ;D  Remember when I read about feeder sets. I only did for two days but I had to try it. The pump was unreal but I stopped thinking that probably won't amount to real growth. I could be dead wrong on that. My wife knows I will be sitting by the computer reading Tnation, this site or some youtube when I have to try it in the basement.

Sometimes the new thing works out great but many times it's a bust. An example of this is when a saw a guy doing curls with a single dumbbells in a unique way. He put the dumbbell on it's end and cupped two hands under the plates. Then he did close grip curls. I found it really kept the hands supinated but the grip on those plates wasn't the best or safest when fatigued. I then just grabbed a barbell and did close grip curls with that and found it was almost the same movement.

Primemuscle

• Getbig V
« Reply #1545 on: December 18, 2020, 01:20:14 AM »
More like goofing around. I get in these moods where I have to try stuff. Sometimes it's a new stretch, a weight movement I never used/rarely used or I get an idea.   ;D  Remember when I read about feeder sets. I only did for two days but I had to try it. The pump was unreal but I stopped thinking that probably won't amount to real growth. I could be dead wrong on that. My wife knows I will be sitting by the computer reading Tnation, this site or some youtube when I have to try it in the basement.

Sometimes the new thing works out great but many times it's a bust. An example of this is when a saw a guy doing curls with a single dumbbells in a unique way. He put the dumbbell on it's end and cupped two hands under the plates. Then he did close grip curls. I found it really kept the hands supinated but the grip on those plates wasn't the best or safest when fatigued. I then just grabbed a barbell and did close grip curls with that and found it was almost the same movement.

It's great that you are open to trying new ways to exercise. It keeps things interesting even when something isn't all it is cracked up to be. I'm still learning how to use the bands I bought. According to the program, I should have done workout 1 again tonight, but I was still kind of sore from Monday's workout so I decided to take another day's rest and get to it tomorrow. It's hard to imagine how only 4 push exercises done to failure can really accomplish much. But hey, I'm sore which is usually a good sign that I worked something in a new way.  Variety is the spice of life and the stuff of good exercise.

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #1546 on: December 18, 2020, 07:41:10 AM »
It's great that you are open to trying new ways to exercise. It keeps things interesting even when something isn't all it is cracked up to be. I'm still learning how to use the bands I bought. According to the program, I should have done workout 1 again tonight, but I was still kind of sore from Monday's workout so I decided to take another day's rest and get to it tomorrow. It's hard to imagine how only 4 push exercises done to failure can really accomplish much. But hey, I'm sore which is usually a good sign that I worked something in a new way.  Variety is the spice of life and the stuff of good exercise.

Remember Soloflex? It was the same concept. Wow did they sell a ton of those machines but then it fizzled out. I'm shocked they are still in business. The cost of the machine and attachments are through the roof. Close to $4K with attachments. You would really have to be committed to that thing to make that type of investment. It also takes a small footprint in your house to have that system instead of conventional weights.

When I down size to free more finances I will go to simple system of something like powerblocks and their bench with attachments. On a side note Ironmaster and Powerblocks can't sell their products because they are made in China.  They haven't had a complete inventory in many months.

ThisisOverload

• Getbig V
« Reply #1547 on: December 18, 2020, 12:19:34 PM »
My brother still has an old Bowflex in his garage.

It's not too bad, just feels a little awkward.

He got it in the late 90's while in college.

I think it's just a fancy clothing rack now. ;D

Primemuscle

• Getbig V
« Reply #1548 on: December 18, 2020, 02:17:54 PM »
No doubt Soloflex is a quality exercise machine. It is more complex to setup and takes up more space then bands...at least the X3-Elite bands, which fit in the box they came in and easily slides under the bed. Setting up different exercises is effortless and quick. Soloflex offers a greater variety of movements than do bands. No matter whether you use, Soloflex, Nautilus, free weights or bands, none are miracle muscle builders....there is no such thing. Put the work in and you'll get results no matter what your choice of equipment is. Anything is better than nothing.

The one difference so far with bands is working until failure for good results. For me, it is really going to take some time to adapt, since this is not anything I've ever done before. The first step is for me to stop counting reps because when I do, I automatically set limits on how many reps I can do based on past experience. It means making a mind set change which is sometimes difficult for some of us to do.

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #1549 on: December 18, 2020, 07:28:24 PM »
Delt and arms today.  Haven’t done cardio in two weeks and I’m feeling strong because I'm not shot from doing cardio.