Author Topic: Build size with the 12-15-20 rep range?  (Read 19700 times)

Archer77

• Getbig V
  • Team Shizzo
Re: Build size with the 12-15-20 rep range?
« Reply #100 on: December 02, 2012, 02:03:40 PM »
You forgot the filterless Camels! ;)  (In all fairness, Mike told me he started smoking in the looney bin, which would've been the mid/late 80s -- partly because ALL crazy people usually smoke, but also because his idols Rand and Art Jones were chimneys.)

So, yeah, during his heydey, urine and some amphetamines was it.  And Deca, which he held in VERY high regard.

Apparently objectivist all have some kind of smoking fetish.  He had no problem with deca dick?  It's cool that you knew him.
A

tbombz

• Getbig V
  • Psalms 150
« Reply #101 on: December 02, 2012, 02:20:15 PM »
A BIG NO!.

mixing rep ranges means you exhaust your nervous system trying to optimise responses. spend at least 6 weeks on any rep scheme, range, before changing it, and even then, dont make the change drastic. (i.e. dont go from 6 reps to 20. )
well first of all, i didnt say explicitly to use a mix of rep ranges within the same workout.  i just said a mix of rep ranges. that can mean doing one rep range for a month, then changing to another rep range for a month, etc. or it can mean do one rap range one week, and a different rep range the next week.  or it can mean doing a mix of rep ranges within the same workout.   do what works for you, above all else.  i wouldnt get too caught up in trying to develop strict rules for success like you seem to be doing. theres a million ways to skin a cat. i know several people who like to mix rep ranges within the same workout. periodizing between month-to-month mixing of rep ranges, week-to-week, and incorporating different rep ranges in the same workout could be an effective way to train.   but then again, do what works for you   ;)

Metabolic

• Getbig IV
  • Team I Fucked Her Face
« Reply #102 on: December 02, 2012, 05:20:35 PM »
I've put my credentials and who I've trained up here enough for you to figure it out. You're a dumb fuck to think just because someone had some papers (and had the time to do it, but thats for another thread) published means they are the be all to end all. I don't train bodybuilders, I quit doing that in the early 90's. BTW, it was MY trainers that were in this months NSCA Strength and Conditioning Research Journal (Published Research) at Cal State Fullerton (#1 Kinese dept in the country). These trainers were my interns before their employment with me. Again, STFU unless you want to keep going. BTW, the research is This months (Dec, Measuring Power) Journal of Strength and Conditioning Research. Dr. Jared Coburn, the author, also trains with me. Thanks for coming, be sure to tip your waiter on the way out.

Ill gladly wait and see what "you" are publishing coachie, Ill even read it.

Hulkotron

• Getbig V
  • I ate an entire box of popsicles the day prior
« Reply #103 on: December 02, 2012, 05:39:32 PM »
Cal State Fullerton (#1 Kinese dept in the country)

???

They are not ranked at all by the National Academy of Kinesiology or the National Research Council.

http://www.nationalacademyofkinesiology.org/results
http://chronicle.com/article/NRC-Rankings-Overview-/124739/

Coach is Back!

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • It’s All Bullshit
« Reply #104 on: December 02, 2012, 06:03:56 PM »
Ill gladly wait and see what "you" are publishing coachie, Ill even read it.

Like I've got time ::)

snx

• Getbig IV
« Reply #105 on: December 03, 2012, 06:44:46 AM »
a lot of truth in here

i'm still fairly young and realized this before it got out of hand

a lot of resistance from my peers who think i have become a pussy

per haps

or maybe i just realized that low rep squatting with locking out knees is really tough on the joints

As much as we all ride Bob Chick, he was wise to this as well, if you're lifting to look good.

You have to choose - weights are the means to an end, or an end in and of themselves.

Bodybuilders lift weights as the means to an end - to develop the body.

Athletes lift weights as the means to an end - to become better athletes.

Powerlifters lift weights as the end in and of itself - to lift a weight.

Bodybuilders and athletes don't need explosive movements in the gym, or heavy weights, to get better. The risk of getting hurt in the gym is a stupid one to take when you consider the cost. And the physical pay-off (bigger, stronger muscles) is so small over the long term when you consistently employ heavy weights as to be not worth it. This is my opinion. I really don't care what anyone else thinks.

Lord knows I've spent enough time in grad school laboratories and have read enough research to know that heavy weights are probably better. But the risk of getting hurt is just too great to accept. I refuse to lift like a champ to age 35 and then hang it up because my shitty genetics left me with weak joints that can't lift. I have bad genes, it is what it is. I'll lift like a pussy, but I'll look good and I'll be lifting into my 60's and 70's. And that's what matters to me.

Find your own path. Seek your own truth. Shake your head at those who would deter you from your truth. Listen to them, but stay your course.