Author Topic: lying about diet, training, gear use.  (Read 2242 times)

TommyBoy

• Getbig IV
  • What's the vector, Victor?
Re: lying about diet, training, gear use.
« Reply #25 on: October 20, 2008, 04:30:22 PM »
Burning calories "mentally" seems like a very true statement that I have never read anywhere. Just seems like something from experience that holds true. My job for example requires me to be pretty physically inactive all day long, but mentally I have to be going 110% (air traffic controller). After a busy day I can be absolutely starving AND tired as hell. As for me, some of you may have seen my pics I posted on the GetBig contest subforum. I stay that lean year round. I don't count calories, just grams. I make sure to get at least 200g of solid protein (not shakes...only after my workout). I don't purposely eat low carb or low fat, but when my budget gives me the option of protein or bread I pick protein. Although if I do go on a splurge with eating I'll tone down the carb and fat intake for a few days and be right back where I was.

I bust my ass harder than anyone I know in the gym, I eat strict year round, and have never even seen AAS let alone taken it. I WISH it came easy like some other people on this board claim though...

Well, no I don't actually. There is a certain self satisfaction from knowing you have achieved a statuesque physique through sheer will power and hard ass work.

And TA I remember your physique a few years looking pretty horrible to be quite honest, but after leaning out it's pretty damn inspiring.

The True Adonis

• Getbig V
  • Fear is proof of a degenerate mind.
« Reply #26 on: October 20, 2008, 04:50:10 PM »
Burning calories "mentally" seems like a very true statement that I have never read anywhere. Just seems like something from experience that holds true. My job for example requires me to be pretty physically inactive all day long, but mentally I have to be going 110% (air traffic controller). After a busy day I can be absolutely starving AND tired as hell. As for me, some of you may have seen my pics I posted on the GetBig contest subforum. I stay that lean year round. I don't count calories, just grams. I make sure to get at least 200g of solid protein (not shakes...only after my workout). I don't purposely eat low carb or low fat, but when my budget gives me the option of protein or bread I pick protein. Although if I do go on a splurge with eating I'll tone down the carb and fat intake for a few days and be right back where I was.

I bust my ass harder than anyone I know in the gym, I eat strict year round, and have never even seen AAS let alone taken it. I WISH it came easy like some other people on this board claim though...

Well, no I don't actually. There is a certain self satisfaction from knowing you have achieved a statuesque physique through sheer will power and hard ass work.

And TA I remember your physique a few years looking pretty horrible to be quite honest, but after leaning out it's pretty damn inspiring.
Is being an ATC really as stressful as they say?  I have been in a control tower a few times and have seen that it is absolute madness at times.  People yelling, Screens Blinking, people calling other people over and arguing over blips on a screen.  How much of a toll does it take on you would you say?

The True Adonis

• Getbig V
  • Fear is proof of a degenerate mind.
« Reply #27 on: October 20, 2008, 04:51:35 PM »
Is being an ATC really as stressful as they say?  I have been in a control tower a few times and have seen that it is absolute madness at times.  People yelling, Screens Blinking, people calling other people over and arguing over blips on a screen.  How much of a toll does it take on you would you say?

You would think that there was a war going on or an impending air disaster!  Is this the environment in your neck of the woods also?

TommyBoy

• Getbig IV
  • What's the vector, Victor?
« Reply #28 on: October 20, 2008, 05:11:57 PM »
You would think that there was a war going on or an impending air disaster!  Is this the environment in your neck of the woods also?

It is and isn't stressful. Being trained up at a new busy location can be stressful, but after you know the local traffic the only people that stress out about doing the job are the ones that suck at it. I don't suck at it, consider myself pretty damn awesome at it, and think it is amazing fun dealing with all the complexity and fast paced thinking the job offers. Honestly, the part of the job that is stressful is the scheduling and dealing with co-workers/supervisors that are horrible. You work with crews of people, and if one of those people suck things can be bad. If everyone is spot on and knows their stuff it can be a thing of beauty. The job DOES have fragile and large egos (remind you of anything?), so when you are right and the other person is wrong it can be quite frustrating (...or deadly for aircraft).

Also, I used to not have a fear in the world of flying before ATC. Now that I know the frequency of close calls and how many incidents I've seen...not so much.

Oh, and it sounds like you were up there during a shit storm of traffic for those guys. That's pretty typical at busy locations and something I dealt with multiple times a day, every day, when I worked one of the more complex military towers the U.S. has. Also, military tower air traffic is much more complex than civilian tower air traffic. I'm currently a civilian.