Author Topic: Record player  (Read 3256 times)

ManBearPig...

• Getbig V
  • Professional Fighter
Record player
« on: July 25, 2009, 08:41:28 AM »
hey cheesedick burgers, i'm looking for a decent record player, something that won't take up a whole lot of room, can have built in speakers or i can wire some.  price limit, probably around 400. 

not for "scratching" just something to play in the living room while i'm not on getbig or masturbating.  the only shit i've found is those gay ones that look like "antiques" with a cd player built in.

also, is there a store i can go to?  i looked at best buy, and all of theirs were for "scratchaz".
Deep Tissue Massage

dan18

• Getbig V
  • I DID WHAT I DID BECAUSE I DO WHAT I WANT.
Re: Record player
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2009, 08:54:44 AM »
hey cheesedick burgers, i'm looking for a decent record player, something that won't take up a whole lot of room, can have built in speakers or i can wire some.  price limit, probably around 400. 

not for "scratching" just something to play in the living room while i'm not on getbig or masturbating.  the only shit i've found is those gay ones that look like "antiques" with a cd player built in.

also, is there a store i can go to?  i looked at best buy, and all of theirs were for "scratchaz".
I have a nice record collection rare zep tull yardbirds beatles ozzy cream you get the point but i never play them i have it all on cd ..why would you want to play them
p

ManBearPig...

• Getbig V
  • Professional Fighter
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2009, 09:32:15 AM »
I have a nice record collection rare zep tull yardbirds beatles ozzy cream you get the point but i never play them i have it all on cd ..why would you want to play them

jimmy page = led zeppelin = yardbirds = eric clapton = cream.  nice.

my old man tells me those bands must be experienced the way they were recorded in their time.  apparently, the digitalization (if that's a word) of them really fucked up the original sound and vibe.

also, if you want to throw those records away, you can just mail them to me and i'll dispose of them for you.
Deep Tissue Massage

dr.chimps

• Getbig V
  • Chimpus ergo sum
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2009, 09:43:21 AM »
jimmy page = led zeppelin = yardbirds = eric clapton = cream.  nice.

my old man tells me those bands must be experienced the way they were recorded in their time.  apparently, the digitalization (if that's a word) of them really fucked up the original sound and vibe.

also, if you want to throw those records away, you can just mail them to me and i'll dispose of them for you.
This is the old line Neil Young always throws out, that LPs have a 'warmth' that digital cds can't possess. He's the proven musician, but I figure you'd probably need superhuman hearing to even notice any real difference. Just buy cds.   

JimmyJam1974

• Getbig V
  • "No sir, the ball ain't heavy." - Herschel Walker
« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2009, 09:44:55 AM »
Try eBay - ever heard of it?
U

brooklynbruiser

• Getbig IV
« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2009, 09:46:42 AM »
If you run your sound through your comp (I do), you can check out the Ion turntables. They have a speaker. There is also one model with a USB cable that you can run into your comp to capture audio. Other than that, I got nothing.
Almost always, yes.

ManBearPig...

• Getbig V
  • Professional Fighter
« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2009, 09:47:46 AM »
This is the old line Neil Young always throws out, that LPs have a 'warmth' that digital cds can't possess. He's the proven musician, but I figure you'd probably need superhuman hearing to even notice any real difference. Just buy cds.   

i have everything dan mentioned on cd (bought it before mp3s were around).

i don't know, maybe the "novelty" of it attracts me.  
Deep Tissue Massage

dr.chimps

• Getbig V
  • Chimpus ergo sum
« Reply #7 on: July 25, 2009, 10:12:48 AM »
i have everything dan mentioned on cd (bought it before mp3s were around).

i don't know, maybe the "novelty" of it attracts me.  
No novelty to it. Some people swear by them; some just prefer LPs: some didn't make the cd switch; and then there is the douche bag poseur who wears a Hef robe and has all his LPs in plastic sleeves. Don't be the last guy.   :D

Rich2

• Getbig III
  • Getbig!
« Reply #8 on: July 25, 2009, 10:21:24 AM »

what in the balls are "scratchaz".  if you're gonna make fun of something at least try to do it without sounding like a douche yourself.

The Wizard of Truth

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • Fallen Angel
« Reply #9 on: July 25, 2009, 10:23:58 AM »
Try eBay - ever heard of it?
Do they sell comics or spiderman masks?

Tapeworm

• Getbig V
  • Hold Fast
« Reply #10 on: July 25, 2009, 01:11:11 PM »
I will now sell five copies of The Three E.P.'s by The Beta Band

dr.chimps

• Getbig V
  • Chimpus ergo sum
« Reply #11 on: July 25, 2009, 01:18:42 PM »

LOL. Dry The Rain FTW!   :)

ManBearPig...

• Getbig V
  • Professional Fighter
« Reply #12 on: July 25, 2009, 01:38:46 PM »
what in the balls are "scratchaz".  if you're gonna make fun of something at least try to do it without sounding like a douche yourself.

shut the fuck up, "Bitch2".  grownups are talking here.
Deep Tissue Massage

Tapeworm

• Getbig V
  • Hold Fast
« Reply #13 on: July 25, 2009, 01:57:34 PM »
LOL. Dry The Rain FTW!   :)

I confess, I never knew.  Just the line.  One of the Top 5 Books I read while in London tho, because there were only 2.

sync pulse

• Getbig V
  • Only be sure always to call it please, 'research'
« Reply #14 on: July 25, 2009, 09:32:48 PM »

There are many things that are on phonograph records that have never been reissued on CD.  Just like there are many things on VHS that have never been issued on DVD.  I have many.  Also phonograph records are nice possession in their own right, and you want to preserve them with a good turntable.

evandatp

• Getbig IV
  • Haunted4Pay
« Reply #15 on: July 25, 2009, 11:15:21 PM »

The only film containing Jack Black I'll watch again.

Tapeworm

• Getbig V
  • Hold Fast
« Reply #16 on: July 26, 2009, 08:10:49 AM »
The only film containing Jack Black I'll watch again.

I know what you mean.  He was great in this supporting role imo, but 2 straight hours of the guy as a lead is way too much.  After Shallow Hal and School of Rock I decided to give Nacho Libre a wide berth.

wikkedonez

• Getbig IV
« Reply #17 on: July 26, 2009, 09:59:19 AM »
Craigslist.............. ..

funk51

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #18 on: July 26, 2009, 12:08:10 PM »

radio shack.
F

dantelis

• Getbig IV
  • Mesmerizing, isn't it.
« Reply #19 on: July 26, 2009, 05:11:44 PM »
My wife got me this Sony one last Christmas:  http://www.amazon.com/Sony-PS-LX300USB-Stereo-Turntable-System/dp/B0015HOFZI  It has both USB for recording vinyl records to digital and regular audio cables for hooking up to stereo system.   It comes with Sony's Sound Forge Audio Studio software for converting analog records to digital files.  Not a bad record player for $125.

Rich2

• Getbig III
  • Getbig!
« Reply #20 on: July 26, 2009, 06:02:46 PM »
shut the fuck up, "Bitch2".  grownups are talking here.

Hm, yes apparently so.  Have fun drinking Coors Light and reminiscing about when rock was cool because it was filled with long-haired men wearing tight leather pants and feather boas.