Author Topic: Was it worth turning your back on the NPC/IFBB for the PDI????  (Read 4753 times)

Vince G, CSN MFT

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • GETBIG3.COM!
I warned you folks that it wasn't a good idea to get in bed with Demilitia and Lee Priest of all people especially knew better than that. 

I would normally gloat about the situation but I'm not because this has problably ruined a lot of NPC bodybuilders chances of turning pro. 

One year.....  Even the WBF lasted longer than that.   
A

corinth

• Getbig IV
  • Team Wolf
Re: Was it worth turning your back on the NPC/IFBB for the PDI????
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2007, 06:19:16 AM »
Vince, are you entering the Mr. Getbig?

Vince G, CSN MFT

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • GETBIG3.COM!
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2007, 06:27:18 AM »
Vince, are you entering the Mr. Getbig?

Yep,
A

corinth

• Getbig IV
  • Team Wolf

240 is Back

• Getbig V
  • Complete website for only $300- www.300website.com
« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2007, 06:45:22 AM »
I'd be careful about rolling out the victory parade so soon.  Last year, we heard the same thing, "NOC is dead" in about a hundred threads.  The show happened, and they had 1400+ people in the place.  Then they had the UK show.  Not as packed, but competitors got paid and it was a good first year.

The only news this week is that Wayne is working with an MMA organization, right?  Great to hear.  MMA is cool as hell.  IMO, Wayne is very capable of working with an MMA organization while putting on some PDI shows.  He ran most of the IFBB's shows for two decades as the organization grew tremendously. 

Right now, we don't know anything except that Wayne is promoting on MMA fight in addition to his 2007 PDI schedule.  I know it's exciting to try to "nail the coffin shut", but in reality, the facts here are that Wayne is a very experienced event promoter, he is putting on a big fight at the Mohegan Sun Arena this August, and he has a group of October shows planned for the PDI. 

Vince B

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • What you!
« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2007, 07:08:04 AM »
Hey, Melvin, what's up in your neck of the woods? Are you training in secret or something?  Any new photos with your new cell phone cam?

Lift Studios

• Getbig V
  • http://www.liftstudios.com
« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2007, 07:53:28 AM »
When Big Sean Allen removes himself from the PDI, what more do you need?

Elevate Your Image.™

bmacsys

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #7 on: July 03, 2007, 07:54:05 AM »
Life is about taking chances Vince. You should know that. You have to give Lee credit for taking a chance. Most gys don't have the guts to do that typoe of thing. Thats one of the reasons why pro bodybuilding is a sad joke. Not having a legit alternative to the IFBB.
The House that Ruth built

Krankenstein

• Getbig V
  • quit·ter : a person can't finish a task
« Reply #8 on: July 03, 2007, 07:56:03 AM »
Whats the over/under that this turns into another Vince picture gallery thread?

Vince G, CSN MFT

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • GETBIG3.COM!
« Reply #9 on: July 03, 2007, 09:11:47 AM »
I'd be careful about rolling out the victory parade so soon.  Last year, we heard the same thing, "NOC is dead" in about a hundred threads.  The show happened, and they had 1400+ people in the place.  Then they had the UK show.  Not as packed, but competitors got paid and it was a good first year.

The only news this week is that Wayne is working with an MMA organization, right?  Great to hear.  MMA is cool as hell.  IMO, Wayne is very capable of working with an MMA organization while putting on some PDI shows.  He ran most of the IFBB's shows for two decades as the organization grew tremendously. 

Right now, we don't know anything except that Wayne is promoting on MMA fight in addition to his 2007 PDI schedule.  I know it's exciting to try to "nail the coffin shut", but in reality, the facts here are that Wayne is a very experienced event promoter, he is putting on a big fight at the Mohegan Sun Arena this August, and he has a group of October shows planned for the PDI. 

Wayne doesn't have the money to promote both and Lee Priest has already jumped ship.  No Lee Priest, No PDI.  There is no reason for anyone to show up.

Its over with 240, Wayne's moved on bro.
A

Vince B

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • What you!
« Reply #10 on: July 03, 2007, 09:17:48 AM »
Lee Priest should be in the Olympia.

garraeth

• Getbig IV
« Reply #11 on: July 03, 2007, 09:19:33 AM »

Wayne doesn't have the money to promote both and Lee Priest has already jumped ship.  No Lee Priest, No PDI.  There is no reason for anyone to show up.

I dunno, but for some reason I don't trust your business sense...much less your business fortune-telling.

GHGut

• Getbig III
  • Getbig!
« Reply #12 on: July 03, 2007, 09:22:26 AM »
I warned you folks that it wasn't a good idea to get in bed with Demilitia and Lee Priest of all people especially knew better than that. 

I would normally gloat about the situation but I'm not because this has problably ruined a lot of NPC bodybuilders chances of turning pro. 

One year.....  Even the WBF lasted longer than that.   

You know, no one disputes that the IFBB is the biggest and best organization around.

But isn't what drives us when we go into the gym the desire to better ourselves? And isn't that what drove the men who went to the PDI to go to the PDI--The desire to be recognized, to stand a chance of making some money (a living even maybe) doing what they love?

This whole PDI episode, whether it is ending or continues, has really shown how insecure certain people in the IFBB are. Unless they have certain skeletons in their closets of which we are unaware, they'ne NO REASON to be.

It has also shown how certian IFBB athletes who once made a name for themselves as "outsiders" and critics have ponied up and bought the company line. There is something totalitarian, Stalinesque about this whole thing reared its ugly head.

And as fans, as consumers, don't you enjoy having the IFBB and the PDI, don't you enjoy having Cheerios and Rice Krispies and thirty seven other breakfast cereals to choose from?

240 is Back

• Getbig V
« Reply #13 on: July 03, 2007, 09:23:26 AM »
Wayne doesn't have the money to promote both

How much do you think it costs to promote an MMA event?
How much do you think it costs to promote 6 PDI shows?
Wayne is a very successful man and has assembled an experienced team for this MMA event.

No Lee Priest, No PDI.  There is no reason for anyone to show up.

If you live in Barbados, Norway, England, France, or Denmark, you do not have a high level bodybuilding show to attend this year.  Is the PDI on par with the IFBB for talent?  No way!  But does a chance to see top Euro champs in a show in their hometown a good thing for the sport?  Of course!

Let's say 500 fans attend each of those five shows.  That's 2500 people that see high level bodybuilding in their town.  Probably 1000 of them will be inspired and buy a FLEX and a GNC Gold card and google up bodybuilding.com and start listening to the PBW radio show and ... you get the idea.  You might have 200 to 500 lifelong customers of IFBB/AMI/BBING.com - thanks to PDI's legwork in a place where the IFBB doesn't go.

It's overall growth for teh sport.  People will go to a PDI show because there isn't an IFBB show in their country, and the talent of the PDI - while not IFBB level - is still good.  You have a few guys who won NABBA or other federations - and a few guys like Frey who would be top 5 at an IFBB show.  You might not be able to hook up with jessica Simpson - but her sister ashlee will do.  ya know?

I guess time will tell.  Neither you, nor I, nor anyone else here knows all the facts.  I guess we all just gotta wait and see.  

240 is Back

• Getbig V
« Reply #14 on: July 03, 2007, 09:27:35 AM »
You know, no one disputes that the IFBB is the biggest and best organization around.

Correct!  IFBB is king and probably always will be.  They have the mags, the NPC, and the athletes.  No one is disputing the IFBB's power and organizational strength.  They're a powerhouse and always will be.

My thinking - and no one else has tlaked about this - is that the PDI's shows in Europe will bring lifetime customers to the IFBB and its product offering circle.

Europeans attend a PDI show, are inspired to learn more about bodybuilding, and inevitable discover the IFBB, the Olympia, the ASC, BBing.com, GetBig, and all these other things.  Wayne sells one ticket to a guy.  The IFBB can sell a LIFETIME of products and advertising to that same guy.  IMO, the IFBB would make a ton more $ to have FIVE Demlias putting on smaller shows in smaller markets (properly licensed of course - an IFBB summer league if you will).  All the revenue will eventually flow to the IFBB.

timfogarty

• Getbig V
  • @fogartyTim on twitter
« Reply #15 on: July 03, 2007, 11:22:23 AM »
Correct!  IFBB is king and probably always will be.  They have the mags, the NPC, and the athletes.  No one is disputing the IFBB's power and organizational strength.  They're a powerhouse and always will be.

Nothing lasts forever.   In the 1940s, 50s, 60s and into the 70s, the AAU was the dominate force in bodybuilding ruled by one man, Bob Hoffman.  It's domination ended at about the same time Hoffman entered a nursing home.   

The IFBB is a privately held company who's founders have just retired.  For the last 40 years it was ruled with an iron fist by Ben Weider.  The turmoil that it now faces is due at least in part to him no longer being involved in the day to day operations.     Duties have now been split between two people:   Rafael Santonja for the amateur side of things and Jim Manion for the pros.  Manion is now in his 60s.  Who will take over when he retires?   Will they have the power to run it with an iron fist?

The problem is that the IFBB, especially on the pro side, has never been a sports federation.  Sports federations have infrastructures that aren't dependant on one person.  People come and go and the structure of the federation remains.  One or two man businesses are different.  They rarely survive the loss of their leaders.

My prediction is that after Ben and Joe are gone, Eric cashes out by selling the company.

G o a t b o y

• Time Out
  • Getbig V
  • Time-Out in Dubai, India with Swampi the Cocksmith
« Reply #16 on: July 03, 2007, 11:36:40 AM »
Manion is now in his 60s.  Who will take over when he retires?   Will they have the power to run it with an iron fist?

Bob Chick of course!  ;D

(actually, Bob isn't smart enough...   Ryan Deluca will probably be behind the scenes pulling his puppet strings.)
Ron: "I am lazy."

onlyme

• Getbig V
  • Don't Fuck With Bears
« Reply #17 on: July 03, 2007, 11:37:10 AM »

hahaha, why do you persist to embarrass yourself.  Isn't looking like the way you do and pretending to be a BB and trainer bad enough.  Jeez you embarrass yourself, your family and your race.  Dude give it up already and just kill yourself.  your fortune telling days were over along time ago.  Between you and Apenis you too have NO credibility whatsoever.

Vince G, CSN MFT

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • GETBIG3.COM!
« Reply #18 on: July 03, 2007, 11:53:03 AM »
My creditibility is reality.  There's been absolutely no promoting of the PDI, no website, no radio show, not magazine ads, no nothing.

THEN.....we see a website for his MMA promotion. 

Things that make you go........hmmmmmmmmm

As far as the PDI being revolutionary.....bull.  I would not have said anything if a new organization if someone like Dan Lurie started it but it wasn't.  It was by the same person who made life miserable for IFBB pros for many years in the IFBB. 
A

240 is Back

• Getbig V
« Reply #19 on: July 03, 2007, 12:01:34 PM »
My creditibility is reality.  There's been absolutely no promoting of the PDI, no website,

LOL...

you a gambling man, Vince?

Vince G, CSN MFT

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • GETBIG3.COM!
« Reply #20 on: July 03, 2007, 12:17:16 PM »
LOL...

you a gambling man, Vince?

No, but I know Wayne can at least shell out 300 dollars for a PDI website...... ;D

BTW, I'm going to smoke you, Daddywaddy, Adonis, and any other sucka mc in the Mr Getbig.  My Leg Size and Cuts are pro quality and I will have Munzer conditioning come showtime
A

The Ugly

• Getbig V
« Reply #21 on: July 03, 2007, 12:22:33 PM »
I warned you folks   

Doubt not lest ye be CSNed and/or MFTed.

Goodrum 4:20

240 is Back

• Getbig V
« Reply #22 on: July 03, 2007, 12:26:55 PM »
BTW, I'm going to smoke you, Daddywaddy, Adonis, and any other sucka mc in the Mr Getbig.  My Leg Size and Cuts are pro quality and I will have Munzer conditioning come showtime

you might have leg size, but I'm bringing the sickest shoulders the Mr Getbig stage has ever seen. 

I have 5.5 inch wrists and clavicles 11 inches apart.  I'm narrow.  But I'm training 8 days a week and muscle bellies are filling out.  I'm gonna come in at 170.

StillTippin

• Getbig III
« Reply #23 on: July 03, 2007, 12:27:32 PM »

No, but I know Wayne can at least shell out 300 dollars for a PDI website...... ;D

Stop it man, I'm gonna pee my pants.

Krankenstein

• Getbig V
  • quit·ter : a person can't finish a task
« Reply #24 on: July 03, 2007, 01:27:58 PM »

Dont you belong to the NPC Vincey?  Dont they have rules about competing in contests NOT sanctioned by them?