Author Topic: Recent study on protein timing around workouts  (Read 3194 times)

wavelength

• Getbig V
  • ~~~
Recent study on protein timing around workouts
« on: October 07, 2009, 12:25:51 PM »
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/19478342
(posted by signature166 on BB.com)

Hoffman JR, Ratamess NA, Tranchina CP, Rashti SL, Kang J, Faigenbaum AD.
Department of Health and Exercise Science, The College of New Jersey, Ewing, NJ, USA.

The effect of 10 wk of protein-supplement timing on strength, power, and body composition was examined in 33 resistance-trained men. Participants were randomly assigned to a protein supplement either provided in the morning and evening (n = 13) or provided immediately before and immediately after workouts (n = 13). In addition, 7 participants agreed to serve as a control group and did not use any protein or other nutritional supplement. During each testing session participants were assessed for strength (one-repetition-maximum [1RM] bench press and squat), power (5 repetitions performed at 80% of 1RM in both the bench press and the squat), and body composition. A significant main effect for all 3 groups in strength improvement was seen in 1RM bench press (120.6 +/- 20.5 kg vs. 125.4 +/- 16.7 at Week 0 and Week 10 testing, respectively) and 1RM squat (154.5 +/- 28.4 kg vs. 169.0 +/- 25.5 at Week 0 and Week 10 testing, respectively). However, no significant between-groups interactions were seen in 1RM squat or 1RM bench press. Significant main effects were also seen in both upper and lower body peak and mean power, but no significant differences were seen between groups. No changes in body mass or percent body fat were seen in any of the groups. Results indicate that the time of protein-supplement ingestion in resistance-trained athletes during a 10-wk training program does not provide any added benefit to strength, power, or body-composition changes.

PMID: 19478342 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]

SizZ

• Getbig II
Re: Recent study on protein timing around workouts
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2009, 12:59:47 PM »
Interesting. I wonder what the rest of their diets consisted of. I wonder if that was even considered. Considering they were all lifters, they might have a bit of a different diet than the average joe.
SizZ

wavelength

• Getbig V
  • ~~~
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2009, 01:04:27 PM »
Interesting. I wonder what the rest of their diets consisted of. I wonder if that was even considered. Considering they were all lifters, they might have a bit of a different diet than the average joe.

At least it looks like all their diets were sufficient for a significant increase in strength. What's also interesting is that the control group had the same results.

And welcome to getbig! :)

wavelength

• Getbig V
  • ~~~
« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2009, 01:07:38 PM »

I think that's actually a good thing BTW, this way it can be better applied to bodybuilding.

MAXX

• Getbig V
  • MAGA
« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2009, 01:09:44 PM »
I don't know but 10 weeks sounds to short to make that conclusion?

emn1964

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2009, 01:11:12 PM »
that study is not statistically significant

wavelength

• Getbig V
  • ~~~
« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2009, 01:12:52 PM »
I don't know but 10 weeks sounds to short to make that conclusion?

I would say 10 weeks is pretty good for a study like that. Many such studies are way shorter than that.
But if nutrient timing had a siginificant effect I would assume that it would show up after 10 weeks.

wavelength

• Getbig V
  • ~~~
« Reply #7 on: October 07, 2009, 01:15:29 PM »

good point, no doubt

lvtolft

• Getbig III
« Reply #8 on: October 07, 2009, 01:24:07 PM »
The statistical power of this study is way to low to draw any conclusions from this. 

Samourai Pizzacat

• Getbig IV
  • Meeoow!!
« Reply #9 on: October 07, 2009, 01:27:55 PM »
A statistically significant improvement in strength was found in all 3 groups, however there were no significant differences between the 3 groups themselves. Studies always suffer from a small sample; n of the groups was 13,13,7! Main effects will have to be very large to be able to show differences between such small groups. The study is not really a longitudinal study either, 10 weeks is a very short period, considering the slow process of unassisted protein synthesis.

another recent study showed that consumption of caseine immediately pre-workout was bad. It had to be digested during training, leaving less energy for the training session (the latter is an assumption by the researchers). Common sense applies here: consume protein 2 hours before training, as goes for any half-decent meal.

aglifter

• Getbig III
  • Conan! What is best in life?
« Reply #10 on: October 07, 2009, 01:33:15 PM »
The number of study participants is far to small to achieve statistical significance so of course nothing can be shown.  Also, protein is probably a lot more useful with juice

johnnyx

• Getbig II
« Reply #11 on: October 07, 2009, 01:35:24 PM »
The number of study participants is far to small to achieve statistical significance so of course nothing can be shown.  Also, protein is probably a lot more useful with juice

::)

_bruce_

• Getbig V
  • Sam Sesambröt Sulek
« Reply #12 on: October 07, 2009, 01:37:24 PM »
Protein is overrated...  :D

G o a t b o y

• Time Out
  • Getbig V
  • Time-Out in Dubai, India with Swampi the Cocksmith
« Reply #13 on: October 07, 2009, 02:34:30 PM »
Results indicate that the time of protein-supplement ingestion in resistance-trained athletes during a 10-wk training program does not provide any added benefit to strength, power, or body-composition changes.

So much for Milos' "empty blood" theory!  ;D
Ron: "I am lazy."

The Showstoppa

• Getbig V
  • Call the vet, cause these pythons are sick!
« Reply #14 on: October 07, 2009, 02:36:43 PM »
"The College of New Jersey"

Oh brother.

affeman

• Getbig V
  • Rusty Trombone looks like an abortion in a thong
« Reply #15 on: October 07, 2009, 02:57:34 PM »

Department of Health and Exercise Science, The College of New Jersey, Ewing, NJ, USA.

The effect of 10 wk of protein-supplement timing on strength, power, and body composition was examined in 33 resistance-trained men. Participants were randomly assigned to a protein supplement either provided in the morning and evening (n = 13) or provided immediately before and immediately after workouts (n = 13). In addition, 7 participants agreed to serve as a control group and did not use any protein or other nutritional supplement. During each testing session participants were assessed for strength (one-repetition-maximum [1RM] bench press and squat), power (5 repetitions performed at 80% of 1RM in both the bench press and the squat), and body composition. A significant main effect for all 3 groups in strength improvement was seen in 1RM bench press (120.6 +/- 20.5 kg vs. 125.4 +/- 16.7 at Week 0 and Week 10 testing, respectively) and 1RM squat (154.5 +/- 28.4 kg vs. 169.0 +/- 25.5 at Week 0 and Week 10 testing, respectively). However, no significant between-groups interactions were seen in 1RM squat or 1RM bench press. Significant main effects were also seen in both upper and lower body peak and mean power, but no significant differences were seen between groups. No changes in body mass or percent body fat were seen in any of the groups. Results indicate that the time of protein-supplement ingestion in resistance-trained athletes during a 10-wk training program does not provide any added benefit to strength, power, or body-composition changes.

Great study. Should I post 10 others now claiming the opposite? ::)

wavelength

• Getbig V
  • ~~~
« Reply #16 on: October 07, 2009, 03:00:51 PM »
Great study. Should I post 10 others now claiming the opposite? ::)

Sure, go ahead.
I'm just putting out the info, I don't endorse it.

NarcissisticDeity

• Getbig V
  • Go back to making jewelry and cakes with your girl
« Reply #17 on: October 07, 2009, 03:05:35 PM »

Interesting stuff , thanks for posting it.

Necrosis

• Getbig V
« Reply #18 on: October 07, 2009, 03:24:29 PM »
I would say 10 weeks is pretty good for a study like that. Many such studies are way shorter than that.
But if nutrient timing had a siginificant effect I would assume that it would show up after 10 weeks.

Really? you realize they are resistance trained men, ie experienced lifters. Ten weeks is also to short to make a statistically significant finding. Most of these guys were probably already taking protien supps before hand.

PJim

• Getbig IV
  • Strike another match, go start anew
« Reply #19 on: October 07, 2009, 03:27:30 PM »
Like a car, the desired fuel or mechanism in the engine will be called upon as it is needed. I always think of it as stopping off at a petrol/gas station, you can put in enough to get to the next station or you can fill up the tank and let it be used as and when needed for the unforeseeable future.

wavelength

• Getbig V
  • ~~~
« Reply #20 on: October 07, 2009, 03:30:37 PM »
Really? you realize they are resistance trained men, ie experienced lifters. Ten weeks is also to short to make a statistically significant finding. Most of these guys were probably already taking protien supps before hand.

Why is the fact that they are experienced lifters and that they were taking protein supps beforehand relevant to the results of the study? Just curious.

PJim

• Getbig IV
  • Strike another match, go start anew
« Reply #21 on: October 07, 2009, 03:34:56 PM »
A trained individual should be recycling protein at a rate far higher than an untrained individual so the study should show that they are building muscle with a limited amount of additional protein anyway.

affeman

• Getbig V
  • Rusty Trombone looks like an abortion in a thong
« Reply #22 on: October 07, 2009, 03:36:18 PM »
Why is the fact that they are experienced lifters and that they were taking protein supps beforehand relevant to the results of the study? Just curious.

How much strenth/power would an experienced lifter gain in 10 weeks?

wavelength

• Getbig V
  • ~~~
« Reply #23 on: October 07, 2009, 03:40:29 PM »
How much strenth/power would an experienced lifter gain in 10 weeks?

I don't know how the study was conducted exactly but it states that significant strength gains were made in those 10 weeks (bench and squat).

dknole

• Getbig III
  • Getbig!
« Reply #24 on: October 07, 2009, 07:36:56 PM »
effin' hilarious!