Author Topic: Training Tips for BEGINNERS  (Read 6890 times)

ripitupbaby

• Getbig V
  • 2010 Olympia Pro Powerlifting Champ
Training Tips for BEGINNERS
« on: October 10, 2007, 07:51:26 AM »
Over the past couple of months, I have received a few PMs from people asking for workout advice and training tips for beginners...mostly girlfriends or wives who have NEVER spent time in the gym and want to get themselves started on the right path.

I laid out the following plan for someone as a starting point for a woman who has never trained before.  I figured I might as well post it for others, and to see what tips and advice others may have for beginners in the gym.
In general, I am not a huge fan of circuit training, but I do think it's a good place to start for someone who has never trained with weights. 

I'm sure there are alot of other good tips for beginners, so please post them here if you have any.

:)

OK, so here's what I would recommend for starters. 

If she's going three times a week, or maybe four (which would be better), and if she's a total beginner, I would recommend setting up a circuit-type training program versus the BB-style that hits a different muscle group each day. 
Circuit programs hit multiple muscle groups in one workout, which is better for a beginner to get themselves familiar with basic exercises and techniques, and also promotes calorie burning by getting blood to more muscle groups during the workout.  It's a good approach for a novice who wants to lose weight and tone up.
If it's three times a week, I would do two upper body circuits and one lower body circuit (upper monday, lower weds, upper friday for example).  If it's four times a week, I would do two upper body and two lower body circuits alternating, or three upper body circuits and one lower body circuit (just don't do back to back upper body days, give at least a day of rest in between).

-For upper body circuits, two exercises for back, shoulders, and chest, and one for bis and one for tris works pretty well, although you can switch this up a lot and mix things up as long as you hit each muscle group at least once during the workout. 
Two sets of each exercise is fine, but three is better.  For circuit training, you don't sit at the same machine and do all three sets...you go through the whole circuit once with little rest, and then go back and repeat it two more times (or one more time at least).  Reps around the 12-15 range, and she should be struggling with the weight (or at least working hard) by the end of the set.  Alternate exercises between major and minor muscle groups (see example below).
-For lower body circuits, focus on compound exercises like squats and lunges.  Use very little weight at first until she gets a feel for the workout.  Again, 2-3 sets, 12-15 reps. 
-Use primarily machines and light dumbells.  Do not get fancy with the exercises, and keep it basic.  If she is new to weight training, introduce her to free weights with basic exercises like shoulder presses and bicep curls.  Work into the more advanced free weight exercises as she gets more comfortable in the gym.
And be sure to tell her what each exercise is doing, which muscles it is working, etc. so that she gets a better understanding and doesn't just go through the motions.

An example of an upper body circuit could look like this:
1. shoulder press machine
2. cable tricep pulldowns
3. wide grip lateral pulldowns
4. dumbell bicep curls
5. chest press machine
6. dumbell lateral raises
7. close grip cable rows (or a row machine)
8. flies on the pec deck
Like I said, you can mix it up alot, so you can add more chest and take away some shoulders during one workout, for example, or add more back, or whatever...as long as you hit everything in the upper body.
Go through each exercise one set, and then go back to the beginning and repeat.  ideally you would go through it three times, but two is OK too.  You can increase the weight on the second time through if she does pretty well the first time.

An example of an lower body circuit could look like this:
1. squats (with no weight, or light dumbells, or a light barbell on her shoulders) - wide stance - you can change up the stance from time to time to focus on different parts of the legs - wide stance, narrow stance (a little more advanced), and also face the toes outward in a wide stance to hit the inner thighs
2. hamstring curls (lying hammy curl machine is prolly easiest)
3. leg press machine (start with a nautilus-type machine rather than the leg press sled)
4. calf raise machine
5. lunges or step ups, or both (with light dumbells)
Same as above except that you may want to go higher rep on the leg workouts (like in the 15-20 range)...Go through each exercise one set, and then go back to the beginning and repeat.  ideally you would go through it three times, but two is OK too.  You can increase the weight on the second time through if she does pretty well the first time.  You can also add more exercises or switch them up over time, depending on how she does with the workout and how her knees respond.

If she does some cardio while at the gym, it should be done AFTER weight trainning...20-30 minutes moderate intensity or intervals.  Ideally, she would do 30-40 minutes two days a week on NON-weight training days, and then 20 minutes after each weight training session.  Cardio is really important for fat loss and should not be overlooked.

freespirit

• Getbig V
  • Revolt!
Re: Training Tips for BEGINNERS
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2007, 09:31:44 AM »
Over the past couple of months, I have received a few PMs from people asking for workout advice and training tips for beginners...mostly girlfriends or wives who have NEVER spent time in the gym and want to get themselves started on the right path.

And if at some point you lose motivation, just check the ´hot women who work out´ thread.   :D

ripitupbaby

• Getbig V
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2007, 12:08:18 PM »
And if at some point you lose motivation, just check the ´hot women who work out´ thread.   :D

Indeed, one of the most motivating threads on this forum!   8)

Luv2Hurt

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2007, 02:15:14 PM »
Good stuff for the training side.  I would also say staying motivated is the biggest challenge for someone new to an excersise program.  For this you must give it some time.  Be patient and consistent and the results will come.  The thing that keeps people most motivated is results!!  Once you start seeing them you will wanna keep doing better and better.  Then it will be easy....sort of and you will be enjoying your workouts instead of dreading them.  More important is you gotta want to do this for YOU!  Not anybody else, but to make you happy and feel good.

To see the best results you must also get your diet in order.  Dont worry too much at first about eating some kind of BB diet just work on portion size and eating at least 4-5 small meals per day.  Dont eat till you are stuffed or full but till you feel nourished.  Watch the sugars, they are what makes people fat.  fats are not evil, sugar is!  So read the labels and cut back on those sugars!  Eat some good protien with each meal dont be afraid of beef either.  Take a decent multi-vit everyday.

This brings me to the topic of drinking milk.  The dairy industry has done a great job in brainwashing the public that we need milk in our diets, they will blab on about calcium and strong bones.....its a bunch of BS, adults do not need milk.  Calcium can come from other sources, instead of that puss filled, sugary, bloating milk.  Stop drinking that stuff and you will feel better overall.

ripitupbaby

• Getbig V
« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2007, 04:41:41 AM »
Good stuff for the training side.  I would also say staying motivated is the biggest challenge for someone new to an excersise program.  For this you must give it some time.  Be patient and consistent and the results will come.  The thing that keeps people most motivated is results!!  Once you start seeing them you will wanna keep doing better and better.  Then it will be easy....sort of and you will be enjoying your workouts instead of dreading them.  More important is you gotta want to do this for YOU!  Not anybody else, but to make you happy and feel good.

To see the best results you must also get your diet in order.  Dont worry too much at first about eating some kind of BB diet just work on portion size and eating at least 4-5 small meals per day.  Dont eat till you are stuffed or full but till you feel nourished.  Watch the sugars, they are what makes people fat.  fats are not evil, sugar is!  So read the labels and cut back on those sugars!  Eat some good protien with each meal dont be afraid of beef either.  Take a decent multi-vit everyday.

This brings me to the topic of drinking milk.  The dairy industry has done a great job in brainwashing the public that we need milk in our diets, they will blab on about calcium and strong bones.....its a bunch of BS, adults do not need milk.  Calcium can come from other sources, instead of that puss filled, sugary, bloating milk.  Stop drinking that stuff and you will feel better overall.

So true.   8)

I always tell people that the two most important things are patience and consistency.  Nothing happens overnight, but once you start seeing results, you will get more and more motivated. 

You make milk sound delicious lol.  I actually do not like milk except for a splash of skim in my coffee.   :P

Luv2Hurt

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2007, 06:27:41 PM »

You make milk sound delicious lol.  I actually do not like milk except for a splash of skim in my coffee.   :P

A splash of udder puss and blood?  Yummy!  :P 

I used to drink quite a lot of milk maybe 1.5-2 gallons a week, stopped about 2 years ago and could not believe how much better I felt and looked.  Nothing gives you thick skin like milk IMO.  The crap will make someone fat as hell.

http://www.milksucks.com/index2.asp
http://www.peta.org/mc/factsheet_display.asp?ID=98

Sorry for the milk rant.....back on topic  :-[

ripitupbaby

• Getbig V
« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2007, 04:03:22 AM »
A splash of udder puss and blood?  Yummy!  :P 

I used to drink quite a lot of milk maybe 1.5-2 gallons a week, stopped about 2 years ago and could not believe how much better I felt and looked.  Nothing gives you thick skin like milk IMO.  The crap will make someone fat as hell.

http://www.milksucks.com/index2.asp
http://www.peta.org/mc/factsheet_display.asp?ID=98

Sorry for the milk rant.....back on topic  :-[

;D

It's hard to hear, but it's true that diet is about 80% of the game.  There is some good diet info in this thread:
http://www.getbig.com/boards/index.php?topic=170475.0