Author Topic: Coming To Save Figure  (Read 7681 times)

Lift Studios

• Getbig V
  • http://www.liftstudios.com
Re: Coming To Save Figure
« Reply #25 on: February 07, 2007, 06:41:06 PM »
Nothing personal as I like you and Alexis, but come on, you're dancing worse than an American Idol reject. You brought up the issue of women choosing to compete in "the drug infested organizations" instead of the "healthier" ones, yet choose not to comment on it when it hits home. No offense but sounds a bit hypocrytical on your part.

What are your "new ideas" to bring figure to the masses? The core fan may have an interest in new-comers but outside of family and friends, why should someone care?

I think the key to getting more exposure is to have the women give the human interest story. Provide something of substance beyond the stage. The common story is, I'm broke, I'm a personal trainer, the judges must hate me and whoa is me. Let's hear something positive and inspiring along the lines of what Nancy spoke about.
Elevate Your Image.™

Fit Gourmet

• Getbig II
  • Getbig!
« Reply #26 on: February 07, 2007, 10:07:34 PM »
I agree with you 100%

Hedgehog

• Getbig V
  • It Rubs The Lotion On Its Skin.
« Reply #27 on: February 08, 2007, 12:54:18 AM »

Basically, the problem is that Figure is a freak show already.

Change the judging criteria, since testing is a very expensive way to go about it, to get rid of the male hormones.

With changed criterias, the competitions will be more marketable and the competitors will have a bigger opportunity to place well while still being females (natural).

BTW Fit Gourmet, you once mentioned that Alexis was the strongest fitness woman in the world, mentioning a squat she had repped with, I think it was 405 lbs, how many reps did she get with that?

-Hedge
As empty as paradise

Rick Lohre

• Getbig II
« Reply #28 on: February 08, 2007, 10:01:04 AM »
While I guess I don't understand the SUBJECT: Coming To Save Figure, I think this is some good discussion and a lot of valid points that seem to sum up what Figure/Fitness/BB is about in the NPC/IFBB.

Dina - "No one wants the girls they way they look on stage..."
I second that - All my friends that know about what Julie does say, Man I need to find a gal to tan up and help get ready for a show!  Go for it, you all know how bad the tan smells, how nasty the oil is and not to mention the beautiful bikini bite marks that are left behind after a show!  Not to mention, a skinny-bony behind might be attractive to some...well I'm not gonna go there...

"... they made it in other orgs and went mainstream from other orgs. Only reason to cross over was to get into the mags that cover ifbb/npc  athletes (because we still dominate in that field) and rack up tear-sheets"
That is a Fact! Tear sheets, publicity etc. generated in mags by the IFBB/NPC athletes is where these women can make their money back from their hobby.  Money is not necessarily made by doing the shoots (often times the pay comes by the appearance) financial benefits only come by how well you can capitalize on that publicity. 

"... and lets not insult everyones intelligence when claiming who is natural and who is not...  we are not retards."
Agreed.

Fit - "Lets all look forward not backwards."

While I agree with you, "look forward", I think that's what people who are competing for themselves are doing... 

I don't think it ever as exciting as say a ND football game.  The sport was a totally NEW 5 years ago and it allowed a lot of women to participate in a sport that they otherwise didn't have the opportunity to.  That in an of itself was exciting, but as a spectator sport, it's just not there!

I don't think the trash talk is all that interesting, in fact, I have gravitated away from many of the boards just because I'm kinda sick of it.  I do like to keep up with who's doing what and think it's a neat place to "congregate" and talk to folks you only see 3-4 times a year.  I honestly think the trash talk and petty BS before a contest is a joke. 

Give me one of Lift's "Preview Articles"http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/isaac104.htm and that's noteworthy.  Interesting facts about competitors and where they are coming from before a show.  Not who thinks who's getting a break at a show because of who they are sponsored by etc....

Nancy - "It is an aquired taste ... The point is the journey, the dance, the challenge ... this is a hobby, to think of it any other way is barking up the wrong tree, if you do not like the sport get out. " 
NUFF SAID!  WELL PUT

Rick Lohre
www.lohrecreative.com

Fit Gourmet

• Getbig II
  • Getbig!
« Reply #29 on: February 08, 2007, 10:08:58 AM »
Yes, I did mention how strong Alexis is. She squatted 425lbs 2x. with a spot. I had Connor from Fitsights make a video of her doing it for proof. I regret posting that about her. I believe it hurt her placing in her first two Pro shows. The N.P.C. and I.F.B.B. do not want to hear how strong there Figure Competitors are. They made an example out of Alexis by placing her last. If you look at the pictures of her Body, she looked much better than last place. Her poor placing was definitely my fault. I will never make that mistake again. Alexis was very dissappointed. Anyway, you are correct about your comment.

Fit Gourmet

• Getbig II
  • Getbig!
« Reply #30 on: February 08, 2007, 10:10:44 AM »
Perfectly Said, Rick!!!

Lift Studios

• Getbig V
  • http://www.liftstudios.com
« Reply #31 on: February 08, 2007, 12:34:23 PM »
Yes, I did mention how strong Alexis is. She squatted 425lbs 2x. with a spot. I had Connor from Fitsights make a video of her doing it for proof. I regret posting that about her. I believe it hurt her placing in her first two Pro shows. The N.P.C. and I.F.B.B. do not want to hear how strong there Figure Competitors are. They made an example out of Alexis by placing her last. If you look at the pictures of her Body, she looked much better than last place. Her poor placing was definitely my fault. I will never make that mistake again. Alexis was very dissappointed. Anyway, you are correct about your comment.

How can you say that Alexis was placed last because of you posting how strong she is/was? She tied for 16th, which I guess you could say is last but to say that she placed out of the top 15 because of her strength, I think is a bit off base. Did the judges say, "Alexis we really like your physique but damn it, that husband of yours posted how strong you are and all be damned if we let a strong woman place in anything but 16th"?

Come on Dave, we're not a gaggle of morons here.

Elevate Your Image.™

Conor

• Getbig II
« Reply #32 on: February 08, 2007, 12:52:22 PM »

Yeah, her strength is legit.. no doubt.

And to me, figure is what it is. It's always gonna be the quarter turn circuit. If you want drama and action and blood, sweat and tears, check out a competition like the Women's Tri-Fitness — which to me is a true fitness competition, not a gymnastics competition or a physique competition.

I remember back in the day there used to be wacky gimmicks involved in the IFBB (I'm pretty sure it was the IFBB..) like rowing machines and weird Dance Dance Revolution type agility tests. While it was cool to actually have quanitative scores to add to the judging, it still came down to the physiques, and thats where we are now.

The core of the event won't ever change now (if it ain't broke, don't fix it), so the only hope to make it more exciting is the way its presented, not only at the competition itself but also in the media (and for this sport, that means the web and print). I've got plenty of ideas, but thats not my job, so we'll see how the sport evolves over time.

Thin Lizzy

• Getbig V
  • It’s all a fraud
« Reply #33 on: February 08, 2007, 02:04:51 PM »
Yeah, her strength is legit.. no doubt.

And to me, figure is what it is. It's always gonna be the quarter turn circuit. If you want drama and action and blood, sweat and tears, check out a competition like the Women's Tri-Fitness — which to me is a true fitness competition, not a gymnastics competition or a physique competition.

You wanna save figure?

Add an oil-wrestling round.

Fit Gourmet

• Getbig II
  • Getbig!
« Reply #34 on: February 09, 2007, 01:16:58 AM »
I don't think you are morons. I was just agreeing that a new softer look, is what they are going after. Not strength.

Alicia M.

• Pros
  • Getbig II
  • BSN ATHLETE/IFBB Pro/Writer: Oxygen Magazine
« Reply #35 on: February 26, 2007, 04:54:44 AM »
What has happened?

The girls are using steroids and GH. That's whats happening.

They turn into transexuals. They age prematurely. Get deeper voices.

All due to the use of hormones. And for what? These girls permanently destroy their bodies all because of some plastic trophy and the admiration from a bunch of unfit schmoes.

You want to save figure?

Get rid of the drugs.

Then you'll get a mainstream appeal, and sponsors will be interested again.

-Hedge

AMEN
aliciamarietv.com

Dina

• Pros
  • Getbig IV
« Reply #36 on: February 26, 2007, 11:20:47 AM »
Thanks for chiming Alicia since you were one of my examples...

best of luck girlie

Hedgehog

• Getbig V
  • It Rubs The Lotion On Its Skin.
« Reply #37 on: February 27, 2007, 07:50:31 AM »
Thanks for chiming Alicia since you were one of my examples...

best of luck girlie

I second that mate.

-Hedge
As empty as paradise

Mufasa

• Getbig II
  • Never Give Up Hope!
« Reply #38 on: March 02, 2007, 03:58:09 PM »
Question for the ladies:

How important are contest , with the resultant pics and photo ops, for promoting the competitors other buisnesses? (Eg. , I noticed that a LOT of competitors are also Personal Trainers).
“There comes a