Author Topic: Sandra Wickham's Story!  (Read 2329 times)

siouxcountry

• Getbig IV
  • Team Ripitupbaby!
Sandra Wickham's Story!
« on: October 07, 2007, 12:30:14 PM »
She'll be competing October 13th at the IFBB West Palm Pro!  :)

From her website:

Santa Susanna Spain
An Introspective Report

Like a scene out of the Steve Martin film "Planes, Trains and Automobiles", my fiancé Ross and I flew, rode and trekked our way to Santa Susanna Spain to compete in the Pro Fitness Grand Prix on October 23rd, 2007. We kept reminding ourselves that all the preparation, expense, travel, and lack of sleep would be worth it if we could earn the honor of an Olympia qualification. We thought that a top three placing at this event was a realistic goal since the competitor list was the shortest I had competed in yet, half of the girls I had already beaten earlier this season and I was fresh off a fourth place finish at the All Star Pro. My physique was even tighter and my routines were ready to rock.

All of our IFBB Fitness rounds were done in one show intermingled with the IFBB Men's bodybuilding rounds. Our first two rounds were the two piece and one piece suits. The two piece callouts favored Rosi Mena, Vlasta Gruberova and Stephanie Worsfold. The one piece callouts had Rosi, Myriam Capes and Stephanie Worsfold as the favorites. The look they were going for was definitely different than I was used to. The most muscular girls were rewarded and it seemed the bigger the better.

Despite being disappointed by my call outs, I knew it was time to refocus for the remaining two rounds to come. The 45 second mandatory routine consists of 5 mandatory moves that must be done in proper order. At the end of the round, I noticed that at least 3 of the competitors including Rosi Mena, Myriam Capes and Vlasta Gruberova , did not complete all of their mandatory moves. In past shows when this has occurred, the athletes have been disqualified from that round or placed last in that round. I thought this would have brought their scores down so I was re-energized with the hope of moving up in the placings.

In the two minute routine round, Myriam went first with her high flying and entertaining routine and was followed by Stephanie performing her pirate themed routine. Next up was Vlasta who performed a different kind of routine with lots of hip hop and other dancing. I had performed my routine twice on stage earlier in the season with great results so I was extremely comfortable with performing it and was proud of my execution of it at this event. Next Rosi performed a very dramatic routine and Kendra wrapped things up by bringing back her beautiful Phantom of the Opera routine.

In the end, Rosi won the event and the crowd went crazy. There were bull horns blasting and people jumping from their seats. Myriam placed second and Stephanie earned the final Olympia qualification in third. Vlasta took fourth place and Kendra finished in fifth. In last place-was me.

Disappointed to say the least, I quickly shook it off and focused on the urgent matter of going out to get something to eat. My fiance Ross and I spent several hours eating, talking, laughing and having a great time with Kendra Elias and her husband Michael.

It wasn't until the evening had come to a close, the lights went out and Ross fell asleep that the tears came. Left alone in the dark with the sounds of the Spanish night, it all sank in. I had placed last in this show that I had worked extremely hard for and had come halfway across the world for. Not only did we not get the Olympia qualification that we had hoped for, but I placed dead last. My competitive career has definitely had its ups and downs through the years. I have always been proud of my ability to pick myself up show after show and continue to improve and get back on stage no matter what. This however, was an extreme test of the fortitude of my character. Alone with my thoughts they raced out of control. This is my third season in the Professional ranks and I began to question myself. "Am I not cut out for this?" "Do I really not have what it takes?" Writing has always been therapeutic for me so I grabbed my notebook, sat on the bathroom floor so as not to disturb Ross with the light and through the tears began scribbling down my thoughts.

I kept replaying in my head the moment one of the officials came back stage, pointed at me and said "Number four, you are not in the top five." It felt to me as if he may as well have thrown his head back with laughter, pointed and yelled, "YOU are the biggest loser, you are the WORST one here!" My first thought was for my fiance Ross. I knew it would be horrible for him out there in the audience to not see me come back out for the top five. I think about how tough the competitions are on the significant others who live through the experience with us, often being more nervous and more upset if things don't work out as we'd hoped. Then I think about everyone back home who has supported me, cheered me on throughout my preparation and who believed in me. I feel that I have let them down. The sane part of me knows this not to be true and experience has shown me that no matter how I place, my friends, family, clients and fans remain steadfast in their love and support. Unfortunately at this moment, my thoughts are far from sane. I thought of all my fellow competitors who were already qualified for the Olympia that were at home hoping I would be joining them in Las Vegas. I felt like a high school student left out of the popular kid's party.

The one bright point that came to me was that I realized the reason I was so upset was because I do strongly love what I do and am passionate about it. It confirmed to me how badly I want to fulfill my dream of competing in the Olympia.

So do we give up when things seem at their worst? When it seems hopeless and impossible? Part of me would like to say yes, let's just quit and then all this would stop. No more disappointments, no more heart breaks. But that's never been me and it isn't me now. If I have to be the example to everyone who has ever had to fight their way through trials and tribulations to reach their goals, so be it. I'll be the one to show you that you CAN dust yourself off, you CAN do whatever it is you need to do to improve and you CAN reach your goals. I will do that by competing in the Olympia one day. You can all come out to watch and we can celebrate for everyone who has ever felt they couldn't go one more step but did anyway and triumphed in the end. Then we'll know that anything is possible.

http://www.sandrawickham.com/

Lorie Kimes

• Pros
  • Getbig II
Re: Sandra Wickham's Story!
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2007, 07:01:13 AM »
Sandra,

I believe in you and I know your hard work will pay off and you will reach your goal of the "O"  ;D

Keep the faith!!! 

Love ya,
Lorie

mjsbroda

• Getbig I
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2007, 02:57:30 PM »
To say the Spain show was a shocker was an understatement!!!

I have been watching the fitness routines and girls come up over the past few years and Sandra is definitely one to watch out for.  I thought for sure after her 4th place, that this was in the bag.  I have no idea how the judges scored the others the way they did.  I heard about the performances, the physiques, and the lack of movements completed and have no idea "WTF" they were thinking.

Sandra so deserved to place top 3 and move on to the "O", and I believe that she was robbed of this.  The good news is that she isa fighter, and this has only motivated her to work harder!!

Sandra is an inspiration to all competitors in this sport! Her routines are simply amazing, her jumps are off the chart, her physique beyond question. I have no doubt she will accomplish her goal and compete at the Olympia one day!

Keep soaring "Air Wickham"

bmurray

• Pros
  • Getbig I
« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2007, 05:46:29 PM »
I think if anyone can take anything from Sandra's story, it is to believe in yourself...to not give up when things don't seem to be going your way...and most importantly remember, you do this sport for the love of the journey...DAY 1 to Showtime... It is out of your hands how you are perceived on that day by those sitting on the panel in front of you, but you MUST... MUST be proud of all that you accomplish that brought you to that point. 

I know many people have had their moments of saying "I QUIT" "This isn't for me anymore..." and so on, but we always come back to the point of remembering why we do it.  For the love of competition, to drive us to be challenged, to push the limits, to perform....we because we love it.

1st place or last place Sandra, you are certainly a winner any way you look at it.  Whether it meant going to the O or not, you gave it 100% and you can have no regrets.   I am very proud of you and I can't wait to see what happens in WPB.  GOOD LUCK!  I'll miss ya!

kszep

• Pros
  • Getbig II
  • Getbig!
« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2007, 02:42:09 PM »
Sandra,
your story brought tears to my eyes for two reasons: First, because I feel that I have been there before and second, because you had to go through that!  It is one thing to think you were judged unfairly and a completely different thing to know it!  There is proof of this on video.  How can the rules be changed from show to show?  Are the rules in Europe different?  Can you do whatever you please for the 45 second routine and win?  I realize that judging is subjective when it comes to physiques and 2 minute routines, but there are certain MANDATORY moves that must be completed in the 45 second and they must be in order.  How is this "mistake" being explained by the judges?
Well, anyway, we are all hoping that you kick a** and are recognized for it in WPB!  You, of all people, deserve it!  It was you who convinced me to press on when I was feeling frusturated and ready to quit.  The sport is lucky to have you :)
Best of Luck!!!!
-Katie S.

Sandra Wickham

• Pros
  • Getbig II
« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2007, 08:47:51 AM »
Thanks for the lovely responses!! 

Bridgette, you're the best and I hope to continue to make you proud!!   ;) 

Katie, I'm SO GLAD I could talk you out of giving up (was that our first show together, I can't remember...??)  because you're a fireball that needs to be on the stage!!

My purpose in writing and putting my write up online was not to be "griping" about the judging or the situation, but to share the mental and emotional process of it all. I know other people have gone through tough times in our sport and many have not been able to pick themselves up again.  I'm very grateful that it is affecting people-it makes our trip to Spain worth it-HONESTLY! 

Here is one of my favourite response (posted with permission of course)

"I was also touched when I read Sandra's story, and I am very happy she decided to share her feelings. Even though I am not a pro, I had a similiar experience to Sandra's recently at the Canadian Nationals, placing dead last in my weight class and not even making pre-judging.....(in my case it wasnt crappy judging, im just new to the National level and have alot of work ahead of me). I had my husband, children, parents and trainer from another province in the audience, who travelled a long way to support me onstage. When the official pointed at me and said I wasnt returning, all of the same feelings Sandra described ran through my head. When I read Sandra's story, it was like reading a book of what my exact feelings were. I am grateful to her for sharing this experience, because it shows us all that even the pros are human too. Everyone in this sport at sometime or another will have a crushing disappointment, and its how we deal with it and pick ourselves up that separates the champions. And I do believe that Sandra will be on the Olympia stage one day. Thanks again Sandra....you have inspired me and im sure many others to not give up"

tigereyes

• Pros
  • Getbig II
« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2007, 09:12:31 AM »
Sandra,

Wow, what a story.  I'm going to restate the obvious and say that the judging in Spain was obviously far from fair, and you deserved to be on that Olympia Stage.  And furthermore, I really think you had a fair shot at the top 10 in the Olympia.

But what I would really like to say is that you really are an inspiration.  As a young fitness competitor that is very new to the sport, I think it is really great to have individuals like you to look up to as role models.  You set an amazing example for us new competitors, in that you never give up, and you always show up ready to compete, no matter what the circumstances. 

It is unfortunate what happened in Spain, but I hope that it has just put that much more fire in your drive to reach your dream.  If you can continue to do what you're doing, it would be an insult to the sport for you not to be on the Olympia stage next year.  I look forward to getting the chance to meet you at one of the shows next year  :)

Now go kick some butt in West Palm Beach.  I will most certainly be rooting for you!!

Denny Crane

• Getbig II
  • I also date midgets.
« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2007, 02:34:53 PM »
A lesson on speaking out about the judging.

1. Julie Palmer
2. Julie Lohre
3. Stacy Simons
4. Heidi Fletcher
5. Michelle Mayberry
6. Maria Bellando
7. Nicole Duncan
8. Kendra Elias
9. Lisa McCormick
10. Liza Hughes
11. Shannon Dey
12. Hollie Stewart
13. Sonja Bruce
14. Angela Monteleone-Semsch
15. Sandra Wickham
16. Stephanie Worsfold
17. Allison Daughtry
18. Michelle Theison
19. Rosalind Vanterpool
19. Susan Groshek
Denny Crane. Denny Crane.

Steph

• Pros
  • Getbig I
« Reply #8 on: October 31, 2007, 07:01:54 PM »
This is one reason you should always make sure you are competing for the right reasons..."FUN" Since you NEVER know what will happen from show to show! I've had my pro card for 10 years and I've seen lots! I know Sandra will qualify for the Olympia during her fitness career since she always improves and  has sooo much passion for the sport. You just have to be patient and have fun during the ride! Also it's not always how you place, it's how you market yourself and what you do with your pro status! Just to be a IFBB Pro is a gift (and hard work) in itself! If you want to place in a sport with fair judging take up something like running...sometimes I think that's why I go in 10km road races off season...(ha) You place how you place! I know it can be frustrating but that's the sport we are in and LOVE!!!!