Author Topic: The Book of Eli (spoilers included)  (Read 9573 times)

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
  • I am. The most interesting man in the world. (Not)
Re: The Book of Eli
« Reply #25 on: April 07, 2010, 11:37:17 AM »
Why not? its is a sh*t movie. I'm saving them money.
 I will never spoiled a good movie.

Spoilers are not cool dude.  I hardly ever agree with Jag on anything, but she's right.  If you're going to give spoilers you should at least post a disclaimer. 

The fact you think it's a bad movie isn't much an excuse IMO.  It's really about being courteous to people who haven't seen it and want to make up their own minds. 

Migs

• Getbig V
  • THERE WAS A FIRE FIGHT!!!!
« Reply #26 on: April 07, 2010, 11:46:55 AM »
movie was ok.  no way in hell he could shoot that well and fight that well especially from distances and in unknown environments being blind.  that being said, he should have boned the girl when she offered.  Even those of faith need some tang everyonce in a while.  It's good for the soul.  (had to keep this somewhat getbigish)   ;D

danielson

• Getbig V
  • Basile likes young lads
« Reply #27 on: April 07, 2010, 11:53:48 AM »
Spoilers are not cool dude.  I hardly ever agree with Jag on anything, but she's right.  If you're going to give spoilers you should at least post a disclaimer. 

The fact you think it's a bad movie isn't much an excuse IMO.  It's really about being courteous to people who haven't seen it and want to make up their own minds. 

I agree, I practically begged Ron to let Jag mod this board, as she could keep an eye out for these things as well. But he ignored me. Sorry I missed this, I will keep a better eye out in the future. Please no spoilers guys :)
E

24KT

• Getbig V
  • Gold Savings Account Rep +1 (310) 409-2244
« Reply #28 on: April 07, 2010, 10:26:31 PM »

Pretty good scene and amazing if you realize the talent that Denzel is! 

Believe me I know what an amazing talent Denzel is.
I've had the pleasure of working with him on a few projects. He is amazing and very intense!
w

24KT

• Getbig V
« Reply #29 on: April 07, 2010, 10:35:23 PM »
movie was ok.  no way in hell he could shoot that well and fight that well especially from distances and in unknown environments being blind.  that being said, he should have boned the girl when she offered.  Even those of faith need some tang everyonce in a while.  It's good for the soul.  (had to keep this somewhat getbigish)   ;D

He wasn't blind. If anything, one could make a case he was schizophrenic, ...but certainly not blind.There's no way he could have recognized the road crew leader in the bar had he been. Consider the distance from which the road crew was first observed. No way he could have smelled them or even recognized voices. He had to have seen them.
w

MRDUMPLING

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #30 on: April 08, 2010, 07:21:53 AM »
He wasn't blind. If anything, one could make a case he was schizophrenic, ...but certainly not blind.There's no way he could have recognized the road crew leader in the bar had he been. Consider the distance from which the road crew was first observed. No way he could have smelled them or even recognized voices. He had to have seen them.

Yeah, not possible, but you guys have to keep in mind that he was being led by divine intervention.  He made this statement throughout the movie.  A lot of people didn't like the movie because of the religous undertones. 

Jag, that's awesome to hear that you have had the opportunity to work with him.  When I found out about that scene I was truly amazed...that was some smooth work to be done in one scene.  He really is one of the best if not the best actors of our generation.  He is one of those actors where I will see his movies just because he is in it. 

Option D

• Getbig V
  • Kelly the Con Way
« Reply #31 on: April 08, 2010, 07:38:44 AM »
Believe me I know what an amazing talent Denzel is.
I've had the pleasure of working with him on a few projects. He is amazing and very intense!

He was very cool with me...well i played football at Morehouse with JD (his son)...the coolest guy ever...
Samuel L....not so much  :'(

Fury

• Getbig V
  • All aboard the USS Leverage
« Reply #32 on: April 08, 2010, 08:54:02 AM »

He definitely smelled the road crew, and given that they came out of hiding and from behind him, I don't see how he would have seen them. He knew they were there as soon as he put the water bottle down.

I believe the second-in-command guy knew he was blind as well as Denzel didn't know he was standing in the middle of the road after the first firefight because he hadn't moved or made any noise. There were other subtle signs throughout pointing to his blindness.

The movie was far-fetched, from God guiding him to find the Bible buried under a pile of trash to his super-human fighting ability.

MRDUMPLING

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #33 on: April 08, 2010, 12:37:23 PM »

He was very cool with me...well i played football at Morehouse with JD (his son)...the coolest guy ever...
Samuel L....not so much  :'(

Is Sam L a dick? 

Option D

• Getbig V
  • Kelly the Con Way
« Reply #34 on: April 08, 2010, 01:02:18 PM »
Is Sam L a dick?  
well maybe he was having a bad day...im not sure..but he was an asshole to a fan

24KT

• Getbig V
« Reply #35 on: April 09, 2010, 06:56:23 PM »
He definitely smelled the road crew, and given that they came out of hiding and from behind him, I don't see how he would have seen them. He knew they were there as soon as he put the water bottle down.

The wasn't a road crew he smelled. I'm not talking about the ones who tried to ambush him, ...I'm refering to the ones who brought back the shampoo, the Oprah magazine and the DaVinci code. When he first encountered them, they were too far away to smell. He had to see them in order to recognize them again in the bar.

I believe the second-in-command guy knew he was blind as well as Denzel didn't know he was standing in the middle of the road after the first firefight because he hadn't moved or made any noise. There were other subtle signs throughout pointing to his blindness.

The movie was far-fetched, from God guiding him to find the Bible buried under a pile of trash to his super-human fighting ability.

There were no signs, and the 2nd in command didn't suspect he was blind cause he wasn't.
He suspected there was something very unusal, other worldly, and special about him.
I think he sensed a profound spark of goodness in him that he did not really want to extinguish.
w

24KT

• Getbig V
« Reply #36 on: April 09, 2010, 07:01:07 PM »
Yeah, not possible, but you guys have to keep in mind that he was being led by divine intervention.  He made this statement throughout the movie.  A lot of people didn't like the movie because of the religous undertones. 

Yep, but then again, there were alot of people who like the movie simply because of the religious undertones, ...despite Gary Oldham stating that "with this book, he'd have the power to gather the weak minded & the desperate". lol. I guess that little line of dialogue flew right under their radars.

Jag, that's awesome to hear that you have had the opportunity to work with him.  When I found out about that scene I was truly amazed...that was some smooth work to be done in one scene.  He really is one of the best if not the best actors of our generation.  He is one of those actors where I will see his movies just because he is in it. 

He really gives it his all. He gets into character at the start of the day,
...and doesn't come out of character til the director calls wrap.
w

Fury

• Getbig V
« Reply #37 on: April 10, 2010, 08:08:11 AM »
The wasn't a road crew he smelled. I'm not talking about the ones who tried to ambush him, ...I'm refering to the ones who brought back the shampoo, the Oprah magazine and the DaVinci code. When he first encountered them, they were too far away to smell. He had to see them in order to recognize them again in the bar.

There were no signs, and the 2nd in command didn't suspect he was blind cause he wasn't.
He suspected there was something very unusal, other worldly, and special about him.
I think he sensed a profound spark of goodness in him that he did not really want to extinguish.

You really do go above and beyond in proving that you're one of the dumbest people posting on this forum. If you couldn't pick up on all the little hints pointing to him being blind, then you're clueless.

24KT

• Getbig V
« Reply #38 on: April 11, 2010, 03:40:45 PM »
You really do go above and beyond in proving that you're one of the dumbest people posting on this forum. If you couldn't pick up on all the little hints pointing to him being blind, then you're clueless.

Then I must be clueless.

So... since they were so very obvious to you, why don't you share your keen powers of observation with us more clueless types. What were all these little hints?
w

Fury

• Getbig V
« Reply #39 on: April 11, 2010, 05:02:19 PM »
Then I must be clueless.

So... since they were so very obvious to you, why don't you share your keen powers of observation with us more clueless types. What were all these little hints?

Let's see. Movie with biblical undertones. Blind person in the bible named Eli. ::)

Other senses heightened to near super-human levels to go along with the other exaggerations in the movie.

He didn't know the road crew was there until he had smelled them hiding and could hear their weapons clanking due to Kuru disease. Knew the bar fight guys from their voices when they attacked the couple of the road. Didn't shoot the snipers in the street until they had shot at him. Also explains why he didn't know the Carnegie's right hand was standing right in front of him in the middle of the road. Heard the trucks coming down the road from the vibrations in the street. After he ended up outside the old couple's house, he couldn't hit any of them as they weren't moving nor making noise as he flailed about. There are many more hints than that but I think that's enough effort, ya dumb bitch.

How's that 170 IQ treating you? You claim to be so smart yet you're too stupid to know that argon is an element or even pick up on subtle hint like that in a movie.

24KT

• Getbig V
« Reply #40 on: April 11, 2010, 06:38:24 PM »
Let's see. Movie with biblical undertones. Blind person in the bible named Eli. ::)

Other senses heightened to near super-human levels to go along with the other exaggerations in the movie.

He didn't know the road crew was there until he had smelled them hiding and could hear their weapons clanking due to Kuru disease.

Once again, that wasn't the road crew, they were simply ambushers. The fact that he could hear them doesn't mean he's blind.

Knew the bar fight guys from their voices when they attacked the couple of the road.

He couldn't possibly have recognized them by their voices. they were too far off, and the voices were not that distinct from that distance. He did however see them... that was how he recognized them.

Didn't shoot the snipers in the street until they had shot at him. Also explains why he didn't know the Carnegie's right hand was standing right in front of him in the middle of the road.

So because he didn't strike first that means he's blind? That's ridiculous. his character was a man of peace who kicked ass only when he had to.

Heard the trucks coming down the road from the vibrations in the street.

He didn't hear the trucks coming from a vibration in the street, he heard an eagle or whatever bird it was flying overhead.[/quote]

After he ended up outside the old couple's house, he couldn't hit any of them as they weren't moving nor making noise as he flailed about. There are many more hints than that but I think that's enough effort, ya dumb bitch.

I think you're reading what you want into it. I think you are grasping at straws to support your theory.

How's that 170 IQ treating you? You claim to be so smart yet you're too stupid to know that argon is an element or even pick up on subtle hint like that in a movie.

Actually it's 160... but thanks for playing.  :)
w

Fury

• Getbig V
Re: The Book of Eli (spoilers included)
« Reply #41 on: April 11, 2010, 09:15:31 PM »
I'm grasping at straws? The fact that there's a blind man in the bible named Eli and the entire movie revolves around a man named Eli carrying and who is infused with God's power should be enough to know he's most likely blind. The dozens of other signs pointing to it are just the icing on the cake. I'm sorry that you're a lazy-eyed retard who is so deluded that you think you're actually intelligent and observant but you really don't know shit.

When someone loses one of their senses, the others are generally heightened in return. Hence his increased senses of smell and hearing. Remember when they were walking on the road and he could hear them coming while Mila Kunis couldn't? And yes, he did hear them and confirmed it by putting his ear to the road.  ::)

Explain why he didn't know Carnegie's right hand man was standing in the middle of the road about 10 feet from him after the gunfight outside the hotel. Enlighten me. Surely someone who could see would not have stood up and exposed themselves to a man aiming to kill him. Why didn't he know where any of them were after he came out of the old couple's house? They were standing still and not making noise in broad daylight. Why wasn't he able to see them? They were literally within 4-5 feet of him, in broad daylight, and he couldn't see them or tell where they were. "I think you're reading what you want into it". Good rebuttal.  ::)

You think he wasn't blind yet you haven't been able to substantiate your claim beyond "Well, just because he shot afterwards doesn't mean he's blind."

Either way, I'm done arguing with an uninformed retard.

Oh, and you claimed 170. It was only after someone mentioned that Einstein's was estimated at 165 that you changed it out of embarrassment. If I had to generously guess, I'd say you're hovering in the 90s. Hell, you're such uneducated trash that you didn't even know argon was an element. 160 IQ indeed. Stick to your Samson123 gimmick. :-X

24KT

• Getbig V
« Reply #42 on: April 12, 2010, 02:00:51 AM »
The quality of your interaction with people betrays what an absolute miserable existence your life is.

I sincerely hope you get over what is obviously ailing you. it must absolutely suck to walk around in your state of being everyday.
w

Fury

• Getbig V
« Reply #43 on: April 12, 2010, 07:09:32 AM »
The quality of your interaction with people betrays what an absolute miserable existence your life is.

I sincerely hope you get over what is obviously ailing you. it must absolutely suck to walk around in your state of being everyday.

My life is fine. You really shouldn't be talking about other's lives on here given that you spend every waking moment of their day obsessing over America on both your Jaguar and Samson123 accounts. A shill con artist whose life revolves around a country that she doesn't even live in.

You deserve every ounce of ridicule and harassment that you get on here. You made yourself into one of the biggest jokes on Getdumb.

Good rebuttal of the points I made about the movie, though. I'll take that as you admitting you're wrong.  ::)

MRDUMPLING

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #44 on: April 12, 2010, 11:35:02 AM »
Yep, but then again, there were alot of people who like the movie simply because of the religious undertones, ...despite Gary Oldham stating that "with this book, he'd have the power to gather the weak minded & the desperate". lol. I guess that little line of dialogue flew right under their radars.

He really gives it his all. He gets into character at the start of the day,
...and doesn't come out of character til the director calls wrap.

It may have, but one line from the bad guy doesn't negate the whole movie either.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #45 on: April 12, 2010, 01:45:09 PM »
I didn't know he was blind.  Neither did Ebert.  I read his review before watching the movie and he said there is a "WTF" ending.  Even though I was looking for a surprise the entire movie because of Ebert's review, I still didn't see that one coming.  It was a good twist. 

loco

• Getbig V
  • loco like a fox
« Reply #46 on: April 12, 2010, 01:53:10 PM »
Let's see. Movie with biblical undertones. Blind person in the bible named Eli. ::)

He didn't know the road crew was there until he had smelled them hiding and could hear their weapons clanking due to Kuru disease. Knew the bar fight guys from their voices when they attacked the couple of the road. Didn't shoot the snipers in the street until they had shot at him. Also explains why he didn't know the Carnegie's right hand was standing right in front of him in the middle of the road. Heard the trucks coming down the road from the vibrations in the street. After he ended up outside the old couple's house, he couldn't hit any of them as they weren't moving nor making noise as he flailed about. There are many more hints than that but I think that's enough effort, ya dumb bitch.

That is correct.  To add to this:

[ SPOILER ALERT ]

This is a post nuclear holocaust world, and many people have been blinded by nuclear bomb flashes.  Eli may be one of them.

He reads Braille.

Eli tells Solara "I walk by faith, not by sight."  This expression is cliche in Christian circles, but it becomes very significant and even funny once it is revealed that Eli is indeed blind.  To Eli this expression is literal.

At the end they show a close up of his eyes and they look really messed up.  They follow that by revealing that the book he had is in Braille.

[ END SPOILER ALERT ]

I don't think all the spoilers on this thread are cool, but at this point the damage is already done.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #47 on: April 12, 2010, 01:59:20 PM »
That is correct.  To add to this:

This is a post nuclear holocaust world, and many people have been blinded by nuclear bomb flashes.  Eli may be one of them.

He reads Braille.

Eli tells Solara "I walk by faith, not by sight."  This expression is cliche in Christian circles, but it becomes very significant and even funny once it is revealed that Eli is indeed blind.  So to Eli this expression is literal.

At the end they show a close up of his eyes and they look really messed up.  They follow that by revealing that the book he had is in Braille.

I don't think all the spoilers on this thread are cool, but at this point the damage is already done.

I agree about the spoilers.  I only mentioned blindness because danielson added a spoilers warning to the title. 

loco

• Getbig V
  • loco like a fox
« Reply #48 on: April 12, 2010, 02:14:53 PM »
I agree about the spoilers.  I only mentioned blindness because danielson added a spoilers warning to the title. 

I know it wasn't you Beach.    :)

loco

• Getbig V
  • loco like a fox
« Reply #49 on: April 12, 2010, 02:17:18 PM »

What makes you think Gary Oldham's line flew right under our radar?  Atheists have always said that about the Bible and atheists will always say that.  We know that and we don't care.  

Apparently, a good number of references to the Bible and to Christianity in the movie flew right under your radar.  It's a wonder you enjoyed the movie as much as you did.