Author Topic: Anyone here play the Fallout series, getting Fallout: New Vegas?  (Read 9952 times)

YngiweRhoads

• Getbig V
  • Shreddin'
Re: Anyone here play the Fallout series, getting Fallout: New Vegas?
« Reply #75 on: October 19, 2010, 11:06:38 AM »
This. This is the reason why I don't play any modern FPSes seriously. They all seem like a complete farce comparatively to me and I always have to end up explaining to people "no, I don't have halo/call of duty."

All the new fps seem slow paced to me, save for maybe UT.

I still play a Q3 mod, Urban Terror to this day. Somewhat decent community.

spinnis

« Reply #76 on: October 19, 2010, 11:13:36 AM »
I was pretty damn good as CS when it was huuuuge in swden many years back.

heaton was the goat lol.

they ruined it all with 1.5 and steam.

BIG_STI

• Getbig IV
  • www.illpumpyouup.com/
« Reply #77 on: October 19, 2010, 11:17:25 AM »
I have a seriously addictive personality. A game as vast and expansive as FO 3 or NV now...damn. I could become a shut in for weeks! ;D

Become?

Grape Ape

• Getbig V
  • SC è un asino
« Reply #78 on: October 19, 2010, 11:44:05 AM »
This. This is the reason why I don't play any modern FPSes seriously. They all seem like a complete farce comparatively to me and I always have to end up explaining to people "no, I don't have halo/call of duty."

Quake was good, but FPSs have evolved, and are much more than just running down corridors shooting with a different variation of the same weapon.

If Quake was the be all end all, it would still be being released as we speak.
Y

TommyBoy

• Getbig IV
  • What's the vector, Victor?
« Reply #79 on: October 21, 2010, 09:03:00 AM »
Quake was good, but FPSs have evolved, and are much more than just running down corridors shooting with a different variation of the same weapon.

If Quake was the be all end all, it would still be being released as we speak.

In terms of skill the FPS genre has degenerated massively due to the influx of casual players. I know a lot of great players are fans of it, but I really do think Counter-Strike and its "newb" rewarding random shots have pushed FPSes to where they have evolved today. Don't get me wrong, I enjoy modern day FPSes also, but they don't require you to have inhuman reflexes and god like awareness of the map to be number 1 any more.

My nephew who is 14 considers himself AMAZING at Halo and all the modern day FPSes, whereas I find almost all of them completely dull and slow (save Battlefield series mainly due to just the ways you can create hilarity). He loaded up Quake Live for the first time and he just couldn't keep up saying "wahhh its to fast how do you play this" and his jaw promptly dropped when I got in there and started doing my thing. I then explained to him there are people a LOT better at this. He just can't understand it and that's how most gamers are being brought up this generation.

YngiweRhoads

• Getbig V
  • Shreddin'
« Reply #80 on: October 21, 2010, 09:47:17 AM »
Level 2.  ;D

Grape Ape

• Getbig V
  • SC è un asino
« Reply #81 on: October 21, 2010, 09:58:09 AM »
In terms of skill the FPS genre has degenerated massively due to the influx of casual players. I know a lot of great players are fans of it, but I really do think Counter-Strike and its "newb" rewarding random shots have pushed FPSes to where they have evolved today. Don't get me wrong, I enjoy modern day FPSes also, but they don't require you to have inhuman reflexes and god like awareness of the map to be number 1 any more.

My nephew who is 14 considers himself AMAZING at Halo and all the modern day FPSes, whereas I find almost all of them completely dull and slow (save Battlefield series mainly due to just the ways you can create hilarity). He loaded up Quake Live for the first time and he just couldn't keep up saying "wahhh its to fast how do you play this" and his jaw promptly dropped when I got in there and started doing my thing. I then explained to him there are people a LOT better at this. He just can't understand it and that's how most gamers are being brought up this generation.

I hear you on all points, dude.  Especially the speed part (unlimited sprint in games like MW2 help this a bit).

I just think the games have become more dynamic with much better level/weapons design.  I won't get into the whole PC/Console thing because it's so tired, but it's also harder to shoot accurately not using the mouse (even with auto-aim).
Y