Author Topic: Mike Matarazzo - Fighting For His Life (RIP 08/17/2014)  (Read 80765 times)

Vince G, CSN MFT

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • GETBIG3.COM!
Mike Matarazzo - Fighting For His Life (RIP 08/17/2014)
« on: August 03, 2014, 08:22:59 PM »
In the hospital....might be taking that last ride.  Hopefully he gets well...one of my fav bodybuilders....always kept it real.

Oh, god, where do I begin? I'd have to say that everything that led to my heart problem began the minute I started getting serious about competitive bodybuilding. In order to get bigger, I'd eat five, six, seven pounds of red meat a day, no vegetables. And I'd stay away from fruits because of their sugar.[6]

Worst were the chemicals. I have so many memories of being alone in a hotel room the week, five days or two days before a contest, and doing unspeakable things to my body—steroids, growth hormones, diuretics—anything and everything that we as bodybuilders do to achieve a certain look.

It has affected my whole life, so to all those guys who are on an eternal quest to have 21" arms and 20" calves, and who are so vain about their never-say-die attitude, I say, "Change your attitude." Worry about keeping that body of yours as healthy as possible, because it's going to have to last you not just through your next contest or to the end of your bodybuilding contract, but for a long time. And a long time for a human being is nothing. It goes by real quick, even quicker when your health is gone and you have nothing to stand live for
A

Schnauzer

• Getbig V
Re: Mike Matarazzo Fighting For His Life
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2014, 08:24:14 PM »
Matarazzo is a good guy, I hope he recovers.

tommywishbone

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • Biscuit
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2014, 08:24:26 PM »
Thank you princess. Is Kim still dating Reggie?
a

njflex

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • HEY PAISAN
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2014, 08:25:08 PM »
In the hospital....might be taking that last ride.  Hopefully he gets well...one of my fav bodybuilders....always kept it real.

Oh, god, where do I begin? I'd have to say that everything that led to my heart problem began the minute I started getting serious about competitive bodybuilding. In order to get bigger, I'd eat five, six, seven pounds of red meat a day, no vegetables. And I'd stay away from fruits because of their sugar.[6]

Worst were the chemicals. I have so many memories of being alone in a hotel room the week, five days or two days before a contest, and doing unspeakable things to my body—steroids, growth hormones, diuretics—anything and everything that we as bodybuilders do to achieve a certain look.

It has affected my whole life, so to all those guys who are on an eternal quest to have 21" arms and 20" calves, and who are so vain about their never-say-die attitude, I say, "Change your attitude." Worry about keeping that body of yours as healthy as possible, because it's going to have to last you not just through your next contest or to the end of your bodybuilding contract, but for a long time. And a long time for a human being is nothing. It goes by real quick, even quicker when your health is gone and you have nothing to stand live for

damn,,,god bless him.

ENZO

• Competitors
  • Getbig III
« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2014, 08:27:05 PM »
He was a beast, wish him the best

The Scott

• Getbig V
  • I'm a victim of soicumcision!!
« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2014, 08:28:39 PM »
If he has genuine remorse then he has a chance.

the trainer

« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2014, 08:35:19 PM »
If you lived a safe life then you have not lived at all that is another name for a coward, men who take risks and go to the extreme to achieve their goals  are the real men of this world.
 Mike should not be remorseful now he should be smiling because he did what he had to do to achieve his goals.

240 is Back

• Getbig V
  • Complete website for only $300- www.300website.com
« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2014, 08:37:10 PM »
wow, very sad.   Good to see him admitting it was BBing... as opposed to "it was genetic, if anything, diuretics and artificial test kept me healthy!"

praying for him.

Primemuscle

• Getbig V
« Reply #8 on: August 03, 2014, 08:40:53 PM »
Mike is an experienced bodybuilder with a lot of competitions under his belt. At 48 years of age, he's still a young man. Hope he makes a full recovery.

1991 NPC USA Championships, Heavyweight, 1st and Overall
1991 Mr. Olympia, Did not place
1992 Arnold Classic, 15th
1992 Ironman Pro Invitational, 5th
1993 Marissa Classic, 6th
1993 Night of Champions, 8th
1993 Mr. Olympia, 18th
1993 Pittsburgh Pro Invitational, 2nd
1994 Arnold Classic, 9th
1994 San Jose Pro Invitational, 8th
1995 Florida Pro Invitational, 7th
1995 South Beach Pro Invitational, 7th
1996 Grand Prix Czech Republic, 9th
1996 Grand Prix Russia, 9th
1996 Grand Prix Switzerland, 9th
1996 Night of Champions, 5th
1996 Mr. Olympia, 13th
1997 Canada Pro Cup, 2nd
1997 Grand Prix Germany, 11th
1997 Grand Prix Hungary, 10th
1997 Grand Prix Spain, 10th
1997 Night of Champions, 4th
1997 Mr. Olympia, 13th
1997 Toronto Pro Invitational, 2nd
1998 Night of Champions, 3rd
1998 Mr. Olympia, 9th
1998 San Francisco Pro Invitational, 7th
1998 Toronto Pro Invitational, 3rd
1999 Mr. Olympia, 11th
2000 Night of Champions, Did not place
2000 Toronto Pro Invitational, 6t
2001 Night of Champions, 5th
2001 Mr. Olympia, 21st

TristenEsco

• Competitors
  • Getbig III
  • #SHREDZARMY
« Reply #9 on: August 03, 2014, 08:42:08 PM »
He had 1 of my all time favorite builds. Insane thickness, crazy calves. I can respect the honesty, life is what you make it.

Primemuscle

• Getbig V
« Reply #10 on: August 03, 2014, 08:43:05 PM »
If you lived a safe life then you have not lived at all that is another name for a coward, men who take risks and go to the extreme to achieve their goals  are the real men of this world.
 Mike should not be remorseful now he should be smiling because he did what he had to do to achieve his goals.

There can still be regrets, even when you know you lived life to the fullest.

Coach is Back!

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • It’s All Bullshit
« Reply #11 on: August 03, 2014, 08:46:32 PM »
In the hospital....might be taking that last ride.  Hopefully he gets well...one of my fav bodybuilders....always kept it real.

Where did you hear this might be his "last ride". He's had heart problems for years. Why now all of the sudden this?

Parker

• Getbig V
  • He Sees The Stormy Anger Of The World
« Reply #12 on: August 03, 2014, 08:48:40 PM »
wow, very sad.   Good to see him admitting it was BBing... as opposed to "it was genetic, if anything, diuretics and artificial test kept me healthy!"

praying for him.
Well, it was genetic as well. His father had heard issues. And I believe his father died from it. So, genetics and the lifestyle. So, I guess just like what we argue here, it's not "all drugs" but a combonation.

chaos

• Getbig V
  • Ron "There is no freedom of speech here" Avidan
« Reply #13 on: August 03, 2014, 08:51:25 PM »

Crazy stalker
Liar!!!!Filt!!!!

calfzilla

• Getbig V
  • YUMAN FILTH!
« Reply #14 on: August 03, 2014, 08:54:50 PM »
One of my favs too. Hope he recovers.

The Scott

• Getbig V
« Reply #15 on: August 03, 2014, 08:55:06 PM »
There can still be regrets, even when you know you lived life to the fullest.

It is one thing to "live life to it's fullest" and quite another to live a life full of crap.  He did the latter and as he has admitted, paid the price.  Like I said, if he has genuine remorse he has a chance.

Coleman on the other hand, has more crap in him than a bag of natural fertilizer.

Primemuscle

• Getbig V
« Reply #16 on: August 03, 2014, 08:57:57 PM »
Well, it was genetic as well. His father had heard issues. And I believe his father died from it. So, genetics and the lifestyle. So, I guess just like what we argue here, it's not "all drugs" but a combonation.

When someone is predisposed to heart problems, they need to stay on top of it. My grandfather had a heart condition that required medication. My uncle died of heart failure, but he was 80 something years old and drank like a fish. I had high cholesterol since my mid to late 30's and take meds to help keep it under control.

Bodybuilding can be taxing on one's heart. The more weight one carries, the greater one's heart has to work. It's not a matter of being fat or muscular either. As far as the heart is concerned, excess weight is excess weight. I suspect bodybuilders who lean out as they age, are probably at less risk of having a heart attack or stroke.

el numero uno

• Getbig V
  • Clean your room, bucko.
« Reply #17 on: August 03, 2014, 09:03:56 PM »

You moronic hebrew, that post has been on the internet for years.

Primemuscle

• Getbig V
« Reply #18 on: August 03, 2014, 09:05:04 PM »
It is one thing to "live life to it's fullest" and quite another to live a life full of crap.  He did the latter and as he has admitted, paid the price.  Like I said, if he has genuine remorse he has a chance.

Coleman on the other hand, has more crap in him than a bag of natural fertilizer.

I am not sure how remorse gives someone a better chance of recovering from health issues. If someone has sinned, it follows that remorse is a step in the right direction. When it comes to health, commitment to living a healthier lifestyle is what will probably help get them through. On the other hand, if one has totally ruined their health, all the remorse in the world won't restore it.

My wife ignored having type II diabetes until it had already caused a lot of damage to her body. She has a lot of remorse over this. Unfortunately, remorse can't make her kidneys healthier or her heart stronger.  

ENZO

• Competitors
  • Getbig III
« Reply #19 on: August 03, 2014, 09:13:17 PM »
What is your source Goodrum?

The Scott

• Getbig V
« Reply #20 on: August 03, 2014, 09:14:09 PM »
I am not sure how remorse gives someone a better chance of recovering from health issues. If someone has sinned, it follows that remorse is a step in the right direction. When it comes to health, commitment to living a healthier lifestyle is what will probably help get them through. On the other hand, if one has totally ruined their health, all the remorse in the world won't restore it.

My wife ignored having type II diabetes until it had already caused a lot of damage to her body. She has a lot of remorse over this. Unfortunately, remorse can't make her kidneys healthier or her heart stronger.  

While it is true that a dog will often return to its own vomit, a human being will not.  Remorse at one's choices can remind a person that they are in fact human and as such they will not return to the scene of their ignorance.  

If their health is destroyed and there is no hope for recovery then as you say, remorse can lead to forgiveness but only if it is genuine in nature.  

Primemuscle

• Getbig V
« Reply #21 on: August 03, 2014, 09:14:26 PM »
MIKE MATARAZZO

Mike Matarazzo, who lives in Modesto, underwent a triple heart bypass operation last December at age 39. An online interview with the three-time Arnold competitor hints that steroids played a role in his sudden health problem.

This was 9 years ago. Mike is currently 48 years old.

On November 8, 2007, Matarazzo suffered a heart attack, his second cardiac-related problem since his surgery in December 2004
This is from a Facebook page devoted to Mike.

Primemuscle

• Getbig V
« Reply #23 on: August 03, 2014, 09:19:20 PM »
While it is true that a dog will often return to its own vomit, a human being will not.  Remorse at one's choices can remind a person that they are in fact human and as such they will not return to the scene of their ignorance.  

If their health is destroyed and there is no hope for recovery then as you say, remorse can lead to forgiveness but only if it is genuine in nature.  

I believe you are speaking of a higher power now. Of course one can also forgive themselves their past mistakes, which they should do. Beating ourselves up because we screwed up doesn't have much future and it is both negative and stressful, both of these things are bad for our health.  

michael arvilla

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • facebook.com/michael.arvilla
« Reply #24 on: August 03, 2014, 09:34:57 PM »
Mel Chancey (who has been friends with Mike for many years posted this on his facebook yesterday)