Author Topic: rap is dying  (Read 9936 times)

Thin Lizzy

• Getbig V
  • It’s all a fraud
Re: rap is dying
« Reply #25 on: March 08, 2011, 07:26:57 AM »
im pretty sure 5-6 of the top 10 selling albums last year was rap...fail...

Even if that's true, the number of albums sold has fallen off a cliff in recent years and will continue to do so, as the CD sales model is obsolete, and selling songs on Itunes for 99 cents a pop isn't gonna make you rich.

Since rap depends more on record sales than rock, the former has been hit harder by the switch to mp3s and the harsh reality that hardly anyone pays for music, anymore.

A rock band can tour and make a living; whereas very few rappers can do so, and, the ones who can have a hard time finding venues that will tolerate the lowlife crowd rap attracts.

The bottom line is that most rappers will have to go back to their day jobs viz. drug dealing, robbing, purse snatching, panhandling etc.

Parker

• Getbig V
  • He Sees The Stormy Anger Of The World
« Reply #26 on: March 08, 2011, 07:28:17 AM »
Actually back in my "bangin' days"  ;D  there was a clear distinction between Rap and Hip-Hop.  Hip-hop being the dance, commercial stuff and "rap" being the more serious tone of Eric B and Rakim, BDP, Public Enemy, NWO, etc...  I can remember when it was an insult for a rapper to be considered hip-hop (Fresh Prince, Young MC, etc...) .....then about 75% of them completely sold out and decided EVERY f'n song should have a chick singing the damn chorus and it hasn't recovered since.
When people say Hip Hop, it basically means the culture--from rap, B-boying, the dress, the talk, the graffiti "artists"...which now has been commericalized...you have people claiming to be hard, are studio rappers now, and it's okay...before, it was laughed at and clowned...
When Em's first single and album came out, it was basically dissing his mom's, who his woman is just like, and chances are his daughter will grow up to be like---it's a damn sin in "urban" culture to talk about your own mom, regardless of your personal issues---that shit was private. But, he made millions and a name off of that.

Many people don't like rap, the music due to where it came from, and the fact it still is associated with the inner cities...

What I don't like is that rap music, has maintained this image of Promotig doing illegal activities that harm the black community and keep them "pacified"---drug dealing and gang banging for example, while the artists and labels make MILLIONS, and then these same artists act hard and like they are still hood, when in fact they are living better than their former neighborhoods altogether...it's the great farce of hip hop---promote and sell a image---and get people hooked on it, and make money off of it.

Soulja Boy it has been said is the future of Hip Hop, if that is so, then he has stuck a knife in it and killed it.

Spike

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • Kill your ego
« Reply #27 on: March 08, 2011, 07:33:45 AM »
Even if that's true, the number of albums sold has fallen off a cliff in recent years and will continue to do so, as the CD sales model is obsolute, and selling songs on Itunes for 99 cents a pop isn't gonna make you rich.

Since rap depends more on record sales than rock, the former has been hit harder by the switch to mp3s and the harsh reality that hardly anyone pays for music, anymore.

A rock band can tour and make a living; whereas very few rappers can do so, and, the ones who can have a hard time finding venues that will tolerate the lowlife crowd rap attracts.

The bottom line is that most rappers will have to go back to their day jobs viz. drug dealing, robbing, purse snatching, panhandling etc.

stop goin by albunm purchased and sales

ITS ALL ABOUT RADIO AIRPLAY

you dont realze how big satelite radio is with rappers like eminem has shade 45 and cameron has a station - HUGE outlets for new music

also I live in char and radio rap is HUGE cause thats how most black people hear thier music - this is wher ethe money is - AIRPLAY

not some fckn apple board selling lillthfair live albums and dave matthews box sets - and what true knee grow gonna pay $1 a song- NONCE

int eh hood you got bootlegs and the popilatiry of the rapper explodes on the undergroudn

music isnt run by the ablums sales now a days
more popluar yhou are and the more people you attract at live performance/touring = ALL THE MONEY

why the rollin stones still tour - MONEY

why lil wayne, gucci, jeezy, wiz khalifa, jayz --- they all tour and have HUGE performances and concerts = ticket sales = MONEY

rap isnt dead is just isnt as mainstream when you take a shit and read your rollin stone issue

K-1

• Getbig IV
  • TEAM NO MERCY!!!
« Reply #28 on: March 08, 2011, 07:34:31 AM »
Speak to the avg teen early 20's and they'll prob disagree about rap dying. It's there generation of rap now.

Unfortunately they don't realize they are being fed marketed machine artist from the record companies that OWN all the stations now and actually have a spin count per day that MUST be played to beat it into their heads that this is "hot" now.

the youth now haven't been passed down how to actually listen to music. This is why it's so refreshing when I meet a young person that listens to older stuff along with the new stuff and can compare the difference.

The fool that tells me wacka flacka is the best....omg. lol

Thin Lizzy

• Getbig V
  • It’s all a fraud
« Reply #29 on: March 08, 2011, 07:54:44 AM »
stop goin by albunm purchased and sales

ITS ALL ABOUT RADIO AIRPLAY

Yeah, why would I go by album sales when the first thing you hear about someone like Jay Z or Fifty Cent is how many albums they sold.

So, satellite radio is now the savior? I thought it was ringtones.

Unfortunately they don't realize they are being fed marketed machine artist from the record companies that OWN all the stations now and actually have a spin count per day that MUST be played to beat it into their heads that this is "hot" now.

Record companies are a relic of the past. None of them are making money. Their main value was in mass production and distribution. In the internet era, where music is a file, there's nothing to distribute. Hence, no need for record labels.

Of course, the dinosaurs didn't go extinct overnight, so, these zombies will hang around for awhile, but the writing is on the wall.

mesmorph78

• Getbig V
  • there can only be one...
« Reply #30 on: March 08, 2011, 08:08:36 AM »
rap died from the late 90's
choice is an illusion

The Showstoppa

• Getbig V
  • Call the vet, cause these pythons are sick!
« Reply #31 on: March 08, 2011, 08:28:00 AM »
I don't think anybody is talking about sales so much.....although almost anything commercial in ANY type of music these days, is horrible.  I think it's about the quailty of rap being put out.  Compared to the late 80's up to the mid to late 90's, todays stuff is pure shit.

LatsMcGee

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #32 on: March 08, 2011, 08:33:10 AM »
Rap has became what rock was in  the late 80's.  It's all about image and the same 3 or 4 guys produce all the albums.  Rap needs a "Nirvana" right now to stay relevent to music, 

Teenagers will buy whatever they are told to buy for the most part;  if one band comes out and smashes the charts the labels will rush out and get 6 clone bands that kids will eat up.....

Rock acts in the long run will always make the most money because they can actually tour consistently;  No one is going to throw down 150 bones to see Kanye West in 30 years like they do for the Rolling Stones......

big L dawg

• Getbig V
  • i always tell the truth even when i lie...
« Reply #33 on: March 08, 2011, 08:37:08 AM »
Im sorry but emenem,kanya,drake all put out 3 of the best rap albums ever last year...I love old school...I grew up on rakim,beastieboys,nwa,epmd,krs 1...but u guys are just nostalgia junkies...theres great rap being made(and no it's not wonka flanka or soulja boy) chances are your just old and set in ur ways...your "glory days" are over but raps is not...
DAWG

LatsMcGee

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #34 on: March 08, 2011, 08:39:59 AM »
Im sorry but emenem,kanya,drake all put out 3 of the best rap albums ever last year...I love old school...I grew up on rakim,beastieboys,nwa,epmd,krs 1...but u guys are just nostalgia junkies...theres great rap being made chances are your just old and set in ur ways...your "glory days" are over but raps is not...

Honestly bro; you probably won't throw on any of those albums in about 5 years,  Comparing Rakim to any of these moderm mcs is crazy,  he could rap about anything while all these guys nowadays can write about is themselves.......

K-1

• Getbig IV
  • TEAM NO MERCY!!!
« Reply #35 on: March 08, 2011, 08:41:37 AM »
my bad i'm using the wrong term. I'm referring to the music giants such as sony, EMI, BMG...etc the companies that run the air waves not the labels.

big L dawg

• Getbig V
« Reply #36 on: March 08, 2011, 08:43:07 AM »
If anything rock is dead...there is no band in the last 20 years in rock that hold a candle to zepplin,pink floyd,hell there hasnt been any powerful rock since grunge days of soundgarden,alice n chains...sure there are a few bands with a few good songs here and there but no groups out there the same caliber of the aforementioned groups...
DAWG

K-1

• Getbig IV
  • TEAM NO MERCY!!!
« Reply #37 on: March 08, 2011, 08:44:19 AM »
Honestly bro; you probably won't throw on any of those albums in about 5 years,  Comparing Rakim to any of these moderm mcs is crazy,  he could rap about anything while all these guys nowadays can write about is themselves.......

THIS!

big L dawg

• Getbig V
« Reply #38 on: March 08, 2011, 08:47:00 AM »
1st i dont know anyone that throws albums or cds on...its all ipod,mp3,computer with tens of thousands of songs on a list...second there hasnt been a rock album come out recently that i would "throw on" either in 5 years...
DAWG

George Whorewell

• Getbig V
  • TND
« Reply #39 on: March 08, 2011, 08:56:05 AM »

QFT- the bullshit that these "rappers" churn out now is just pop music with curse words and ignorant poetry a monkey could create (no racist). Throw in the happy go lucky electronic beats that are indistinguishable half the time from really bad euro techno+ a snare drum and you have Hip Hop in 2011.

I agree that as a consequence of popularity and the internet, the music that is released to the wider public has taken a hit, but to me the whole concept of not being mainstream is what made rap music what it is in the first place. Sure you had virtuoso's like Biggie, Pac and Jay Z ( before he became the most over exposed media celebrity since president Osama) that could embrace their street roots and churn out catchy club tunes- but by and large there used to be mainstream guys and street guys. Now the two are virtually indistinghuisable. For fuck sake Justin Bieber is rapping. Justin Timberlake was an R+B star, Eminem is donig tracks with Rihana, David Guetta is produicing tracks for Akon-- the whole fucking thing is a joke. 

CalvinH

• Getbig V
  • Spastic Tarted Cvunt
« Reply #40 on: March 08, 2011, 08:57:23 AM »
The Beastie Boys need to make a new cd!!!

George Whorewell

• Getbig V
  • TND
« Reply #41 on: March 08, 2011, 09:04:37 AM »
Im sorry but emenem,kanya,drake all put out 3 of the best rap albums ever last year...I love old school...I grew up on rakim,beastieboys,nwa,epmd,krs 1...but u guys are just nostalgia junkies...theres great rap being made(and no it's not wonka flanka or soulja boy) chances are your just old and set in ur ways...your "glory days" are over but raps is not...

Dude- That eminem album was fucking trash. He should start snorting vicodins again because he turned into the biggest pussy and hypocrite in hip hop. To me Kayne's first album was awesome, his second album was pretty good, and now every time I hear him rap I have the urge to urinate on the person standing closest to me.  Of course nobody compares to the pioneers-- but you have a whole crop of guys who made a name for themselves in the early- mid 90's that in my opinion perfected rap music. Wu Tang, Mobb Deep, Nas, Jay Z, Common, CNN, Lox etc. Today those guys have already made their money and don't give a shit about putting out good music, they quit making music and are acting, or they are old bonafide hood rich sellouts that are basically doing guest appearences to make up for the fact that they squandered all of their money.

The three best rappers skill wise are dead-- Big L, Biggie, Big Pun==> The greatest hip hop artist of all time has been dead since '97- Pac-- and if the best this generation can churn out is Kayne West, then I'm sorry-- rap is dead as a doornail.

OneMoreRep

• Getbig V
« Reply #42 on: March 08, 2011, 09:12:18 AM »
Real RAP died a long time ago with a fellow named MC HAMMER.

After he left the "RAP GAME" all things good left with him.  All we have left today are commercialized, studio gangsters that talk about nothing in rhythmic patterns..

"1"

OneMoreRep

• Getbig V
« Reply #43 on: March 08, 2011, 09:17:12 AM »
The three best rappers skill wise are dead-- Big L, Biggie, Big Pun==> The greatest hip hop artist of all time has been dead since '97- Pac-- and if the best this generation can churn out is Kayne West, then I'm sorry-- rap is dead as a doornail.

Excuse me sir, but you left out MC Hammer.

Please rectify this, thank you.

"1"

Heavy_Hitter

• Getbig II
« Reply #44 on: March 08, 2011, 09:18:17 AM »
Rap died with Tupac and Biggy Smalls. End of story!

Bigblackstallion

• Getbig III
« Reply #45 on: March 08, 2011, 09:55:02 AM »
peolpe are getting back into rock

80s almost back

rap will be relegated to sideshow it was and should be

:)

you a muthafuggin Joke!

YngiweRhoads

• Getbig V
  • Shreddin'
« Reply #46 on: March 08, 2011, 10:47:58 AM »
If anything rock is dead...there is no band in the last 20 years in rock that hold a candle to zepplin,pink floyd,hell there hasnt been any powerful rock since grunge days of soundgarden,alice n chains...sure there are a few bands with a few good songs here and there but no groups out there the same caliber of the aforementioned groups...

Music industry has changed vastly from the time of those bands. It's extremely difficult to have any form of longevity in today's music environment. Today's audience is afflicted with a massive case of ADD.

Tons of great rock/metal music out there these days.

If anything, rock/metal is so popular at the moment it's becoming over saturated with bands and watered down by too many clones.

sync pulse

• Getbig V
  • Only be sure always to call it please, 'research'
« Reply #47 on: March 08, 2011, 01:18:44 PM »
Since rap depends more on record sales than rock, the former has been hit harder by the switch to mp3s and the harsh reality that   hardly anyone pays for music, anymore.

This will have to be changed if you want an industry to continue...

LatsMcGee

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #48 on: March 08, 2011, 01:20:47 PM »
This will have to be changed if you want an industry to continue...

If you want to survive you have to tour,  plain and simple....

sync pulse

• Getbig V
  • Only be sure always to call it please, 'research'
« Reply #49 on: March 08, 2011, 01:31:51 PM »
If you want recorded music to continue, a way will have to be found to make the pieces (MP3's) to pay on their own...