Author Topic: MuscleTech and its misleading ads!!!  (Read 19243 times)

Chick

• The Pros
  • Getbig V
  • sometimes you get the elevator, somtimes the shaft
Re: MuscleTech and its misleading ads!!!
« Reply #25 on: December 29, 2010, 05:22:57 PM »
yeah, because the teens they are marketing to use common sense...

NO they want to get big and they buy shit like MusceTech supps thinking they will because a pro bodybuilder like Phil Heath is endorsing their shit and saying that is what he uses...lets remove the MT supps from Phil's diet and see if there is ANY difference in his physique, then lets remove his anabolics and add back the crappy MT supps and see what happens....

Missing the point entirely I see...

Here's a little clue for you, 99% of teens DONT WANT to look like Phil Heath, or aspire to be the size of a top BB...

Stavios

« Reply #26 on: December 29, 2010, 06:09:02 PM »

Here's a little clue for you, 99% of teens DONT WANT to look like Phil Heath, or aspire to be the size of a top BB...

come on bob...

OF COURSE, they  will think them this guy got huge taking that, I'll try some and them I'll stop when I am big enough.

kids are naive

Chick

• The Pros
  • Getbig V
« Reply #27 on: December 29, 2010, 06:35:08 PM »
come on bob...

OF COURSE, they  will think them this guy got huge taking that, I'll try some and them I'll stop when I am big enough.

kids are naive

They're not as niave as you think, and they have access to a world of info at their fingertips...you could make a better case for MY generation as we had nothing but the magazines to rely on, and Al Gore had yet to invent the internet...

Pollux

• Getbig V
  • I'm kind of a big deal!
« Reply #28 on: December 29, 2010, 06:54:05 PM »
Chick...

Just from that ad alone that I posted, do you think it comes across as being that's the only thing it takes?

Chick

• The Pros
  • Getbig V
« Reply #29 on: December 29, 2010, 07:32:50 PM »
Chick...

Just from that ad alone that I posted, do you think it comes across as being that's the only thing it takes?

No...doesnt say that, doesnt even imply it...just mentions a few things that it takes to be a champ. JUst markrting 101...like any business, or any product.

Pollux

• Getbig V
« Reply #30 on: December 29, 2010, 08:45:44 PM »
No...doesnt say that, doesnt even imply it

Actually, it does: "Phil Heath built his physique with hardcore training, a perfect diet, and Nitro-Tech Hardcore Pro Series - every day." So I ask you once again, does that ad come across as being that's the only thing it takes to build a physique like his?

I'm trying to get you to admit that it does come across as misleading, marketing or not!

Saram

• Getbig II
« Reply #31 on: December 29, 2010, 09:13:54 PM »
Actually, it does: "Phil Heath built his physique with hardcore training, a perfect diet, and Nitro-Tech Hardcore Pro Series - every day." So I ask you once again, does that ad come across as being that's the only thing it takes to build a physique like his?

I'm trying to get you to admit that it does come across as misleading, marketing or not!

To be fair, Pollux, "a perfect diet" can even allude to steroids if we're being absolutely... how do I say... explorative as far as the meaning.

Pollux

• Getbig V
« Reply #32 on: December 29, 2010, 09:16:16 PM »
To be fair, Pollux, "a perfect diet" can even allude to steroids if we're being absolutely... how do I say... explorative as far as the meaning.

Hahaha! So there's a hidden message there, huh?  ;D

Ron

• Getbigistrator
  • Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #33 on: December 29, 2010, 09:21:32 PM »

Very few kids are naive to think that just taking a supplement is going to make them look like Phil Heath.  Just like may people find it laughable that the San Jose council banned Happy Meals from McDonalds up there because they say it makes kids fat.  Get real.

Various supplements work - especially if taken in moderation, with a diet, training and more.  Now, not everything works on everyone, but let's not play into the game that everything is garbage. And of course, some of these advertisements in many ads go far into proclaiming the next big thing. 

But every industry has their own unique way into getting people to buy items - otherwise, we wouldnt have commercials, sponsorships and more.

Just like people think Gatorade is the best sporst drink out there - millions of people do...

Saram

• Getbig II
« Reply #34 on: December 29, 2010, 09:21:33 PM »
Hahaha! So there's a hidden message there, huh?  ;D

It's a pro bodybuilder discussing his diet. There's usually always a hidden message.  ;D

Tito24

• Getbig V
  • I'm a large man but.. one with a plan
« Reply #35 on: December 30, 2010, 01:31:09 AM »
Where's the attractiveness in simply saying "we are a supplement to your protein and carbohydrate sources. If you ingest enough of our product, along with a balanced diet and exercise, you will increase your chances of gaining muscle size and strength."

people simpy wanna hear they can be the next ronnie coleman

dj181

• Getbig V
  • Dog sees 🐿️
« Reply #36 on: December 30, 2010, 04:58:04 AM »
I'll be honest, when I was a teen and even up til my early 20s I was always looking for that "missing link" to "packing on slabs of muscle" so, of course I fell for the "supplement" claims hook, line, and sinker. FYI, creatine monohydrate did actually, somewhat deliver these "claims/gains"

Mr Nobody

• Getbig V
  • Falcon gives us new knowledge every single day.
« Reply #37 on: December 30, 2010, 05:00:12 AM »
I'll be honest, when I was a teen and even up til my early 20s I was always looking for that "missing link" to "packing on slabs of muscle" so, of course I fell for the "supplement" claims hook, line, and sinker. FYI, creatine monohydrate did actually, somewhat deliver these "claims/gains"
Yep.

Chick

• The Pros
  • Getbig V
« Reply #38 on: December 30, 2010, 06:04:53 AM »

I'm sure he built his physique with a lot of things, but th ad doesnt list them all, nor does it say he built his physique "ONLY" with supps, or with "nothing but..."

It's called marketing, kid...get used to it.

insider

• Getbig III
« Reply #39 on: December 30, 2010, 07:37:09 AM »
This goes on all the time with almost every supplement company, big deal, it's marketing
I know, you don't

IronMagazine.com

• Getbig IV
  • IronMag Bodybuilding Blog Online Since 2001
« Reply #40 on: December 30, 2010, 09:02:37 AM »

really? I thought the "point" here was MuscleTech's misleading ads and how they bait naive teens into buying their crap by posting a pro bodybuilder on their ads...is that not what they do? if not, then why put a picture of one of the best pro bodybuilders on the ad and fail to list anabolic steroids in his arsenal of "supplements" and IMPLY that MuscleTech supps is what got his physique to that level?

Pollux

• Getbig V
« Reply #41 on: December 30, 2010, 09:47:05 AM »
I'm sure he built his physique with a lot of things, but th ad doesnt list them all, nor does it say he built his physique "ONLY" with supps, or with "nothing but..."

lol @ kid  ::)

So what was your cycle like when you competed, "kid"?

Fortress

• Getbig V
« Reply #42 on: December 30, 2010, 12:10:44 PM »
really? I thought the "point" here was MuscleTech's misleading ads and how they bait naive teens into buying their crap by posting a pro bodybuilder on their ads...is that not what they do? if not, then why put a picture of one of the best pro bodybuilders on the ad and fail to list anabolic steroids in his arsenal of "supplements" and IMPLY that MuscleTech supps is what got his physique to that level?

Dude, your logic and reason is owning this thread. What Chick is saying is just more bunk.

MuscleTech was created after hours at the MMI offices by Paul Gardiner, at the time a 20-something MuscleMag store manager with dreams of being a millionaire and little else. He appeared in its initial ads with cotton in his cheeks, a forced-out gut and a sad look on his face. Him and I would hit Wendy's at lunchtime so he could eat all sorts of fat-making meals in an attempt to lose his shape (which was good) for said ads.

When they were done, he went back to his training, eating, drug regimen and returned to shape ... and then took the "after" ads. Of course, these ads never mentioned that he was Muscletech (the only employee) or that no actual product had yet to be even created. And when he DID put something in a can with fancy labelling, it was the same shit from the same vendor as 99 percent of whatever else was on the market at the time.

The_Punisher

• Getbig V
  • The Unrighteous Shall Pay
« Reply #43 on: December 30, 2010, 12:15:33 PM »

Bob, will you be the Star at the BSN booth in this upcoming Arnold Expo 2011?

Fortress

• Getbig V
« Reply #44 on: December 30, 2010, 12:16:12 PM »
And for the record, I have never been an employee of MuscleTech. I was an assistant editor at MuscleMag International. Paul was one of its store managers.

The bullshit of what has become bodybuilding supplementation has gone beyond extreme. And it was a lot of bull well before the '90s, too. So take that as it is meant: the supps industry is a crock.

Is protein supplementation helpful? Sure. Is it a speck of why Phil looks as he does? Not even CLOSE.

As has been said, the industry lies ... and does so knowing that guillable and desperate young people will give it a whirl, at least temporarily.

bodyofsteel

• Getbig III
  • Outed!
« Reply #45 on: December 30, 2010, 12:17:10 PM »
The "supplement" industry is one of getbigs favorite whipping boys, as it's so obviously corrupt and based on lies and deception. ;D

Firemuscle

• Getbig V
« Reply #46 on: December 30, 2010, 12:25:47 PM »
 Double or even triple your bench press in 3 months with new, strawberry flavered, CRYSTAL EXPLODE XL BRO!!!

dj181

• Getbig V
  • Dog sees 🐿️
« Reply #47 on: December 30, 2010, 12:32:20 PM »
Hey Fortress, What about Cybergenics? ;D Just kidding man! Once again, ECA and Creatine Monohydrate did actually work, especially ECA

Pollux

• Getbig V
« Reply #48 on: December 30, 2010, 01:02:34 PM »
really? I thought the "point" here was MuscleTech's misleading ads and how they bait naive teens into buying their crap by posting a pro bodybuilder on their ads...is that not what they do? if not, then why put a picture of one of the best pro bodybuilders on the ad and fail to list anabolic steroids in his arsenal of "supplements" and IMPLY that MuscleTech supps is what got his physique to that level?

Exactly! Thank you! This "kid", Chick, just isn't getting it.

MB

• Getbig IV
« Reply #49 on: December 30, 2010, 01:09:02 PM »
Having a less naive consumer base is bad news for the supplement industry.  Then again, some people still read newspapers, use travel agents, and shop at GNC.  It's hard to imagine the scam can continue much longer.  If the FDA ever gets involved, it's all over.