Author Topic: do you guys feel that athlete who juice are more prone to injury?  (Read 3684 times)

jcguy20

• Getbig II
  • 1st round draft pick
just a thought ive read alot idk if its the media and how they portray sterioids or if its true....Im a college athlete and I know some of my friends who have juiced and gotten some serious injuries...I know my first true injury was an acl tear and i was juicing idk....just wondering how people feel about the topic and seeing other peoples opinions...

Rimbaud

• Getbig V
  • There can be only one.
Re: do you guys feel that athlete who juice are more prone to injury?
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2008, 12:45:23 PM »
People who use AAS & train stupidly are more prone to injury. I would say for a "smart" trainer who juices it shouldn't be an issue. I personally prefer to add a little more weight & more reps then lifting a lot heavier poundages.

laurion

• Getbig III
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2008, 06:24:33 PM »
I know that juice makes you stronger fairly quickly and just because muscle can lift doesn't mean joints can support, this is where most young over-eager bb'ers get into trouble.  Cockiness I suppose.....

shrek

• Getbig IV
« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2008, 08:32:05 PM »
never be an ego lifter... everyone asks me what i max on bench and i dont know because it aint worth hurting myself to see if i can bench more then my heaveist working rep....

calfzilla

• Getbig V
  • YUMAN FILTH!
« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2008, 11:53:04 PM »
Absolutely.  The muscle grows so fast that it is not able to properly bond to bones and tendons and stuff, that's why guys on AAS tend to have more mucle tears. 

vic86

• Getbig III
  • bring back the 80`s
« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2009, 12:24:32 AM »
never be an ego lifter... everyone asks me what i max on bench and i dont know because it aint worth hurting myself to see if i can bench more then my heaveist working rep....
word, its not about how much you lift, its about how much you look you can lift

local hero

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • mma finance warrior of peace
« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2009, 11:17:27 AM »
i differ in my opinion ........ most tears and injuries ive had and witnessed have been late on in development, after many a cycle. Big weights week in week out, your doomed somwhere along the road

Van_Bilderass

• Getbig V
  • "Don't Try"
« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2009, 11:59:46 AM »
Steroids definitely increase the incidence of tears, and minor pulls too, IMO. Not just because you load heavier necessarily either. Stiffer tendons, change in water content of a muscle leading to muscle tightness, cramping and so on. It's not just the ego lifters who experience tears. Load up on steroids, GH and insulin and it's much easier to get hurt.

Arnold jr

• Getbig V
  • fleshandiron.com
« Reply #8 on: January 03, 2009, 02:04:13 PM »
Steroids definitely increase the incidence of tears, and minor pulls too, IMO. Not just because you load heavier necessarily either. Stiffer tendons, change in water content of a muscle leading to muscle tightness, cramping and so on. It's not just the ego lifters who experience tears. Load up on steroids, GH and insulin and it's much easier to get hurt.

True. A lot of people never really think about this but the new muscle tissue being formed when on AAS is typically on the top layer of the muscle instead of growing from inside out...this makes it much easier to tear/strain.

...and the change in water content is huge...you're absolutely right about that.

DIVISION

• Getbig V
  • Bless me please, father.....
« Reply #9 on: January 04, 2009, 03:27:01 PM »
just a thought ive read alot idk if its the media and how they portray sterioids or if its true....Im a college athlete and I know some of my friends who have juiced and gotten some serious injuries...I know my first true injury was an acl tear and i was juicing idk....just wondering how people feel about the topic and seeing other peoples opinions...

Alot of it depends on the method of training.

I see many bodybuilders (natural or not) who train sloppy and don't do negative or static holds.

Cheating on your lifts while emphasizing the concentric and neglecting the eccentric will only weaken tendons and ligaments, which will predispose those athletes to injury.

Winstrol has been proven to weaken connective tissue in the joints, which also leads to injuries.

If you lift correctly and handle the weight, you will stay injury free.

If you let the weight handle you, you're going to end up with alot of joint issues.

DIV
I'm a ghost in these killing fields...

jcguy20

• Getbig II
  • 1st round draft pick
« Reply #10 on: January 06, 2009, 09:20:28 AM »
I think what everyone was saying about my joints was my case ive never had a problem with lifting my main reasoning for juicing was to help with my speed.....(college athletics is pretty tough and its amazing how many athletes juice even though we test) and i think my muscles out grew my joints and ligaments and they snapped...I also think i was putting to much strain on my quads and not lifting enough on my hamstring....

but if winstrol does that to your joints why do most athletes take it? I know alot of my team mates who take it....just a thought wouldnt deca be better for your joints and such?

Massquest

• Getbig II
« Reply #11 on: January 06, 2009, 09:27:28 AM »
It's been proven that AAS use makes you more susceptible to muscle tears.

Van_Bilderass

• Getbig V
  • "Don't Try"
« Reply #12 on: January 06, 2009, 09:50:18 AM »
but if winstrol does that to your joints why do most athletes take it? I know alot of my team mates who take it....just a thought wouldnt deca be better for your joints and such?

Maybe Ben Johnson was really good promo for the drug?  :D

wouldn't something like deca actually help prevent injuries though? the increased collagen synthesis has to help some. hgh too.

I'm not sure. Winstrol increases collagen too and in fact has been studied as an arthritis drug! Increased collagen but if it's a stiffer tendon it wont help prevent injuries. There are different types of collagen and these drugs increase them to various degrees, the details of which I can't remember right now.  :D

Lots of theories on why Deca "helps" joint pain. I think it's due to the effect Deca has on the immune system by virtue of it being a progestin and by not aromatizing much.

Rimbaud

• Getbig V
  • There can be only one.
« Reply #13 on: January 06, 2009, 01:50:00 PM »
Alot of it depends on the method of training.

I see many bodybuilders (natural or not) who train sloppy and don't do negative or static holds.

Cheating on your lifts while emphasizing the concentric and neglecting the eccentric will only weaken tendons and ligaments, which will predispose those athletes to injury.

Winstrol has been proven to weaken connective tissue in the joints, which also leads to injuries.

If you lift correctly and handle the weight, you will stay injury free.

If you let the weight handle you, you're going to end up with alot of joint issues.

DIV

That's what people are missing. Lifting smart will prevent most injuries. Of course I've had most of my gym injuries warming up...go figure.

local hero

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • mma finance warrior of peace
« Reply #14 on: January 06, 2009, 02:47:28 PM »
almost all of mine have been during the warming up stage too..  ive always been pretty cautios too, i think most of mine have been thru imbalances tho

Rimbaud

• Getbig V
  • There can be only one.
« Reply #15 on: January 06, 2009, 03:00:45 PM »
almost all of mine have been during the warming up stage too..  ive always been pretty cautios too, i think most of mine have been thru imbalances tho

I think the funniest injury I ever had was I was warming up for chest. I used to always start my chest workout with incline bench presses so I'd usually do two or three sets of 25 as a warm up. Well on this day I was in the middle of my second set of 25 when all of the sudden I pulled a muscle in my neck. I thought I had an aneurysm or something. I saw fireworks behind my eyes, I got really dizzy, & my head/neck were fucking killing me. I couldn't finish my workout & ended up going to the ER.

DIVISION

• Getbig V
« Reply #16 on: January 07, 2009, 01:41:21 PM »
That's what people are missing. Lifting smart will prevent most injuries. Of course I've had most of my gym injuries warming up...go figure.

People hear what they want to hear.

I can talk about lifting correctly with form forever until I'm blue in the face, but some just don't take heed regardless.

Then they complain about injuries and blame it on the Winstrol or AAS in general.....

I train people so I've seen bad form in several ways, which tells me that bodybuilders and others are prone to the same mistakes.

DIV

Rimbaud

• Getbig V
  • There can be only one.
« Reply #17 on: January 07, 2009, 02:28:11 PM »
People hear what they want to hear.

I can talk about lifting correctly with form forever until I'm blue in the face, but some just don't take heed regardless.

Then they complain about injuries and blame it on the Winstrol or AAS in general.....

I train people so I've seen bad form in several ways, which tells me that bodybuilders and others are prone to the same mistakes.

DIV

True.

Van_Bilderass

• Getbig V
  • "Don't Try"
« Reply #18 on: January 07, 2009, 03:19:08 PM »
You push your body hard and you will have injuries. Period. Correct form or not. There is not a single elite bodybuilder or elite athlete who hasn't had problems with injuries. If you're lucky you escape from disfiguring tears but injuries in general are inescapable. Dorian's form was nearly perfect but look where he ended up.

Ed Coan, the man with impeccable form, always.

Bicep tear, nothing wrong with technique

Rimbaud

• Getbig V
  • There can be only one.
« Reply #19 on: January 07, 2009, 03:30:15 PM »
You push your body hard and you will have injuries. Period. Correct form or not. There is not a single elite bodybuilder or elite athlete who hasn't had problems with injuries. If you're lucky you escape from disfiguring tears but injuries in general are inescapable. Dorian's form was nearly perfect but look where he ended up.

Ed Coan, the man with impeccable form, always.

Bicep tear, nothing wrong with technique

Agreed. Remember sometimes shit just happens.

DIVISION

• Getbig V
« Reply #20 on: January 08, 2009, 12:16:14 PM »

I saw the Ed Coan disaster before.

When you're dealing with powerlifting, it's not the same as most recreational bodybuilders.

At some point when you go up in weight, the torque and external forces placed on the ligaments and tendons themselves is greater than the strength of the muscles they are attached to.

Every lifter needs to have an internal (conscience) in terms of what you think you can handle safely at your max.

If you don't have that inner safety mechanism, you're asking for injuries.

Most bodybuilders I see don't lift heavy enough to get serious injuries anyway, they're more liable to get injured with horrible form.

It's one thing to tear a bicep deadlifting 600lbs.....and quite another to tear one because you aren't doing negatives or controlling the movement of the weight.

Shit, I've been saying that for years.........most bodybuilders I see don't even do negatives, which is a prime reason they get injured when lifting heavy weight.

You do negatives and static holds, you gain the type of strength needed to handle max weights.....

If you don't maxout, if you don't condition your ligaments and tendons to handle major weight, you're asking for trouble.

In terms of training, you are what you do.

If you don't lift heavy, don't expect your muscles and surrounding joint tissue to accept the load just because you "think" your muscles can handle it.

At my gym there are only a few "lifters", people who handle serious weight all the time.......but there are tons of bodybuilders who look big but aren't strong at all.

DIV