Author Topic: thoughts about my new chest routine  (Read 2382 times)

trapz101

• Getbig IV
  • team 'THE CORN'
thoughts about my new chest routine
« on: May 08, 2013, 01:16:04 AM »
i started doing like low volume type of training,twice a week,about 9 sets total each session and it goes like this

flat bench
decline
dips

next session will be

incline bench
dips
flyes

anyone had success doing this type of training?i did smolov squat and love the intensity and thinking of training my chest often as they're my weaker bodypart
T

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
Re: thoughts about my new chest routine
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2013, 04:32:21 AM »
I have done something similar. I used 2 work sets per exercise. One warm up if needed on the first exercise. It works but it's brutal due to the heavy weights it allows you to use.

I would alternate this:
Flat barbell bench 2 x 6 reps. I wouldn't count the warm up set. Just 2 true work sets.
Incline dumbbell press 2 x 6
flat flies 2 x 10

Next work chest workout:
Flat dumbbell press 2 x 8
Incline barbell press 2 x 6
Flat flies 2 x 10

The problem I have with low volume and lifting for strength is that it can be too intense. Just doing something like going for a 3 mile run the day before can lower your strength. Practice submission wrestling and you're not getting your reps in the day after. If you just lower the intensity and push the endurance with more sets outside activity doesn't interfere with the weight workout.

trapz101

• Getbig IV
  • team 'THE CORN'
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2013, 06:04:57 AM »
yeah the weight can be brutal..anyway just my 3rd week in so far no prob..after years of conventional once a week per bodypart workout with stalled progress for a quite sometime i just needed some change
T

jpm101

• Getbig IV
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2013, 08:56:38 AM »
The above chest work is pretty standard, which has worked for many in the past. It's not the exercises you  do, so much, but the way you do them. Remembering that the idea is to attack the area, increasing intensity throughout (or as much as possible).

Might suggest the following:

1)   Dips, if having a "V" bar than the hand spacing can be a little wider than usual.. which lessens the influence of the triceps and more to the pec's and stretch. Try placing the chin on the upper chest and draw the knees up into the body, while doing reps. Might be surprised how this has a affect on the upper pec's for some guy's, once the influence of the triceps and even the anterior delts are reduced. Might suggest only bwt at first. This is a learning exercise, meant to be done the correct way.  2X8-10  

2)  DB flat bench presses.  Keeping the elbows inline with the upper chest/neck, going for a full stretch each rep. Touch the DB's together at the top position and hold for a second or two, flexing the pecs themselves. Gives extra focus on the pec's. 2X10

3) First choice here would be the Pec Deck (with elbows on pads), second would be a cable station. If not having either than DB flys, keeping the DB's in line with the chest/neck, elbows back again. Full stretch.  2X10

With a protocol like this, some prefer doing the Pec Deck/Cable/DB Flys at the beginning of their workout. Though, for most of us, the dips first seems to work out best. But do explore the possibility's of doing these exercises  in any order you wish. Also add another set, rather than the suggested 2, if feeling the need. If results slow, than back to the 2 sets.

I know it's a very over used term, but the mind/muscle connection can be important for any pure BB'ing training. A moderate weight/resistance, done at a faster pace in a  workout also is suggested.  60 seconds between sets and 3 minutes between exercises. Might be tough at first, it's something you can build up too. Keep the blood flowing to keep the pump up.

If you still wish to alternate this program, than one workout could start with dip, the next with flat DB benches, etc...  Do even what you wish, if this style program does or doesn't draw your interest.  Good Luck.
F

Donny

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • getbig Zen Master
« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2013, 02:57:25 AM »
I have done something similar. I used 2 work sets per exercise. One warm up if needed on the first exercise. It works but it's brutal due to the heavy weights it allows you to use.

I would alternate this:
Flat barbell bench 2 x 6 reps. I wouldn't count the warm up set. Just 2 true work sets.
Incline dumbbell press 2 x 6
flat flies 2 x 10

Next work chest workout:
Flat dumbbell press 2 x 8
Incline barbell press 2 x 6
Flat flies 2 x 10

The problem I have with low volume and lifting for strength is that it can be too intense. Just doing something like going for a 3 mile run the day before can lower your strength. Practice submission wrestling and you're not getting your reps in the day after. If you just lower the intensity and push the endurance with more sets outside activity doesn't interfere with the weight workout.
yes good basic workouts there.. i use more volume myself typical for me is...

Flat press(BB) 4x6-10 superset with Flat Flys 4x12
Incline BB or DB 4x10 superset with Incline Flys 4x12
Push ups 2x max... I might swap over flat press with Parallel Bar Dips or Decline Press.

this workout works well for me....
Parallel bar Dips 4xmax
push ups with push up bars 3xmax
Flat flyes 3x10-12

if i was going for max mass and strength then i would go with oldtimers workouts.I like more sets but after 2-3 hard heavy sets then the muscles are stimulated.I tend to like more Bill Pearl style training "leaving with Gas in the tank" as he once wrote.. although i could never do the Volume he did... ;D

wild willie

• Getbig V
« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2013, 03:30:57 PM »
My chest was always behind all my other bodyparts....then i started doing 30 degree incline smith.......and 30 degree incline flyes.

4 sets each......along with push ups and occasionally some cable crossovers.

I have had pretty decent results with this routine.

trapz101

• Getbig IV
  • team 'THE CORN'
« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2013, 08:31:07 PM »
My chest was always behind all my other bodyparts....then i started doing 30 degree incline smith.......and 30 degree incline flyes.

4 sets each......along with push ups and occasionally some cable crossovers.

I have had pretty decent results with this routine.

you do them once a week?will it hinder recovery if you do them twice or more per week?
T

jpm101

• Getbig IV
« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2013, 08:32:03 AM »
Trapz101

When doing twice a week chest (or any other muscle group) and results are slowed, or no noticeable results at all (size/strength), than try the once a week thing.

3 times a week: Now days , not too many train a muscle group more than twice a week, but if wishing to give it a try...that's up to you. Back in the day, 3 times a week was the general scheme of training. Pretty big boys back the, with that more classic look to them. Though, as a general rule of thumb, 3 times a week reduces the rate of recovery for the muscle worked.

As with recovery, the key to progressive improvement in size and strength, try not going to the point of failure on any given rep or set. Stop a rep or two away from that point.Experienced BB'ers and Pl'ers know this all to well. Of course if your juiced to the max, do what you wish. Though drugs don't always give the results you may think they do. Good Luck.
F

wild willie

• Getbig V
« Reply #8 on: May 15, 2013, 10:25:30 AM »

you do them once a week?will it hinder recovery if you do them twice or more per week?
Generally I just train chest once a week.....Never more than 10-11 sets.

Donny

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • getbig Zen Master
« Reply #9 on: May 16, 2013, 02:04:55 AM »
Generally I just train chest once a week.....Never more than 10-11 sets.
yes George and what people forget is the soft structures in your joints, do not recover so quick after a heavy workout like muscles do.. most commom are...
strains and sprains
Tendinitis
Bursitis (had this myself due to over training )
Muscle tears,dislocations and fractures.