Author Topic: Prayer and Religion in Public Life  (Read 634796 times)

Straw Man

• Getbig V
  • one dwells in nirvana
Re: Prayer and Religion in Public Life
« Reply #125 on: January 29, 2011, 11:47:41 AM »
Countdown to moved.... 3...2...

lol

while you're at it move the LT thread to the sports board

Hugo Chavez

• Getbig V
« Reply #126 on: January 29, 2011, 11:59:40 AM »
I'm not moving the thread.  It has been here since 2007.  A number of people have posted in the thread.  It plainly deals with the First Amendment freedoms of speech and religion and their involvement in public life.  If you have a problem with the fact it deals with religion, then like I said, don't read it.  Pretty simple.  Same choice everyone on the board has with threads they don't like.      

And yes, if you want play the move-the-threads game, I'll play today.  It's really unnecessary, but I'll play.  I have a little free time.   :)  
Ok... let's play move the threads...  I should have moved it the first time I saw it anyway.  I honestly don't think this thread belongs here and if you feel like striking back by moving my threads, go for it, I won't cry over it.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
  • I am. The most interesting man in the world. (Not)
« Reply #127 on: January 29, 2011, 12:01:36 PM »
Oh no!   :'(  lol . . . .

Hugo Chavez

• Getbig V
« Reply #128 on: January 29, 2011, 12:03:38 PM »
Oh no!   :'(  lol . . . .
does that mean you're not going to strike back by deleting or moving my threads lol...  Come on... go for it dude...  You can do it!!!! :D

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #129 on: January 29, 2011, 12:06:55 PM »
does that mean you're not going to strike back by deleting or moving my threads lol...  Come on... go for it dude...  You can do it!!!! :D

Oh it's war!  LOL . . . .

Hugo Chavez

• Getbig V
« Reply #130 on: January 29, 2011, 12:11:42 PM »
Oh it's war!  LOL . . . .
You will either 1.  pm stella and ask her to move it back or option 2. pm Ron and ask him to move it back...

I honestly thought this thread needed moved here.  Your focus was on the religious aspect.  I was right in moving this thread.  The rest is up to you and you can do whatever you want about it.

Hugo Chavez

• Getbig V
« Reply #131 on: January 30, 2011, 04:31:09 AM »

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #132 on: February 02, 2011, 07:13:23 PM »
Rep. Giffords' husband to address National Prayer Breakfast
By Dan Gilgoff, CNN Belief Blog Co-Editor

U.S. Rep. Gabrielle Giffords' husband will speak at the Thursday's National Prayer Breakfast in Washington on the congresswoman's behalf, her office announced Wednesday.

Capt. Mark Kelly, a NASA astronaut, will deliver closing prayer at the event, the Arizona congresswoman's office said in a statement.

President Barack Obama will also speak at the breakfast, an annual event in Washington for 58 years.

Giffords was making "lightning speed" progress for a brain injury and had the drain for brain fluid removed from her head, her doctors said last week.

Authorities say that Giffords was the primary target of a shooting that left six people dead and 13 more injured in Tucson, Arizona on January 8.

Giffords and Kelly were married in 2007.

The National Prayer Breakfast was founded in 1953 and has been attended by every sitting president.

The White House will be streaming Obama's remarks live on its website.

http://religion.blogs.cnn.com/2011/02/02/rep-giffords-husband-to-close-national-prayer-breakfast/

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #133 on: February 03, 2011, 05:53:44 PM »
Obama discusses faith at National Prayer Breakfast
By Associated Press

POSTED: 06:16 a.m. HST, Feb 03, 2011

WASHINGTON >> President Barack Obama said today that his faith has deepened during his two years in the White House, and he urged lawmakers to rely on their own faith to build a spirit of civility in Washington following the shooting of a congresswoman.

Speaking at the annual National Prayer Breakfast in Washington, Obama said that at a time of bitter partisanship, lawmakers must find a way to be open to the ideas of others, while staying true to their core principles.

"I pray that God will show me and all of us the limits of our understanding and open our ears and our hearts to our brothers and sisters with different points of view, that such reminders of our shared hopes and our shared dreams and our shared limitations as children of God will reveal a way forward that we can travel together," he said.

Obama's remarks Thursday built on his calls for civility in the days after last month's shooting rampage in Arizona, which left six dead. Rep. Gabrielle Giffords was shot in the head, and is recovering at a rehab center in Houston.

Giffords' husband, Mark Kelly, attended Thursday's breakfast.

"We are with them for the long haul, and God is with them for the long haul," Obama said of Giffords and Kelly.

The president said he also prayed that "a better day will dawn" over Egypt, where violence has erupted between supporters and opponents of President Hosni Mubarak.

"We pray that violence in Egypt will end, and the rights and aspirations of the Egyptian people will be realized," Obama said.

The president also directly addressed questions about his religion Thursday, saying his Christianity has been a "sustaining force" during times when he and his family's faith has been questioned.

"We are reminded that ultimately what matters is not what other people say about us, but whether we're being true to our conscience and true to our God," Obama said.

Some conservatives and political opponents have questioned Obama's Christian faith. In fact, a Pew Research Center poll in August found that 18 percent of people wrongly believe Obama is Muslim — up from 11 percent who said so in March 2009. Just 34 percent said they thought Obama is Christian.

First lady Michelle Obama, Vice President Joe Biden and several lawmakers also attended the annual breakfast, which every president since Dwight Eisenhower has participated in.

Obama said he had prayed for God's intervention on any number or occasions, not always on the weightiest issues of the day.

At one point, the president said he has prayed, "Lord, give me patience as I watch Malia go to her first dance, where there will be boys. Lord, let her skirt get longer as she travels to that place." Twelve-year-old Malia is the older of his two daughters. Sasha is 9.

http://www.staradvertiser.com/news/breaking/115186784.html

big L dawg

• Getbig V
  • i always tell the truth even when i lie...
« Reply #135 on: February 05, 2011, 09:38:40 PM »
religion is so barbaric...
DAWG

Straw Man

• Getbig V
  • one dwells in nirvana
« Reply #136 on: February 05, 2011, 10:01:02 PM »
religion is so barbaric...

It's definitely funny

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #137 on: April 19, 2011, 11:31:31 AM »
Obama At Easter Prayer Breakfast: 'Resurrection ... Puts Everything Else In Perspective'

WASHINGTON -- Pausing to observe Holy Week amidst war and the policy struggles, President Barack Obama said on Tuesday that the agony of Jesus Christ through death and resurrection puts mere political struggle "in perspective."

For the second year running, Obama hosted an Easter prayer breakfast at the White House, and the East Room was filled with administration officials and clergy from across the country.

Obama said "critical national debates" are raging, and "my plate has been full as well. The in-box keeps accumulating. But then comes Holy Week ...

"As busy as we are, as many tasks as pile up, during this season, we are reminded that there is something about the resurrection ... of Our Savior Jesus Christ that puts everything else in perspective."

Obama spoke just before heading to a town meeting in Virginia on his deficit plan -- the start of a cost-to-coast tour promoting his fiscal blueprint as more balanced than the one advocated by congressional Republicans.

Obama has used previous prayer breakfasts to underscore the depth of his Christian faith in the face of polls indicating some Americans question his religious beliefs. Last August, a Pew Research Center poll found 18 percent wrongly believe that Obama is a Muslim.

On Tuesday, Obama recounted the story of Christ's march to Calvary, the crucifixion and resurrection, the "unfathomable grace" of taking on the sins of the world.

"This amazing grace calls me to reflect, and it calls me to pray," he said.

Obama said his daughters help keep things in perspective for him, and so does having a "strong spouse.... But nothing beats Scripture and the reminder of the Eternal."

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/04/19/obama-at-easter-prayer-br_n_850944.html

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • Doesnt lie about lifting.
« Reply #138 on: April 19, 2011, 11:38:22 AM »
DID HE GO TO CHURCH THIS PAST SUNDAY FO PALM SUNDAY?   

YES OR NO?   

MCWAY

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #139 on: April 20, 2011, 05:26:11 AM »
Obama At Easter Prayer Breakfast: 'Resurrection ... Puts Everything Else In Perspective'

WASHINGTON -- Pausing to observe Holy Week amidst war and the policy struggles, President Barack Obama said on Tuesday that the agony of Jesus Christ through death and resurrection puts mere political struggle "in perspective."

For the second year running, Obama hosted an Easter prayer breakfast at the White House, and the East Room was filled with administration officials and clergy from across the country.

Obama said "critical national debates" are raging, and "my plate has been full as well. The in-box keeps accumulating. But then comes Holy Week ...

"As busy as we are, as many tasks as pile up, during this season, we are reminded that there is something about the resurrection ... of Our Savior Jesus Christ that puts everything else in perspective."

Obama spoke just before heading to a town meeting in Virginia on his deficit plan -- the start of a cost-to-coast tour promoting his fiscal blueprint as more balanced than the one advocated by congressional Republicans.

Obama has used previous prayer breakfasts to underscore the depth of his Christian faith in the face of polls indicating some Americans question his religious beliefs. Last August, a Pew Research Center poll found 18 percent wrongly believe that Obama is a Muslim.

On Tuesday, Obama recounted the story of Christ's march to Calvary, the crucifixion and resurrection, the "unfathomable grace" of taking on the sins of the world.

"This amazing grace calls me to reflect, and it calls me to pray," he said.

Obama said his daughters help keep things in perspective for him, and so does having a "strong spouse.... But nothing beats Scripture and the reminder of the Eternal."

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/04/19/obama-at-easter-prayer-br_n_850944.html

I said this six months ago, Beach. When his campaign starts rolling, Obama will get the Holy Ghost. I just figured it'd be within half a year or so before election day. It appears he's ahead of schedule.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #140 on: April 20, 2011, 10:19:22 AM »
I said this six months ago, Beach. When his campaign starts rolling, Obama will get the Holy Ghost. I just figured it'd be within half a year or so before election day. It appears he's ahead of schedule.

Yep.  Pandering.

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #141 on: April 20, 2011, 10:21:50 AM »
Yep.  Pandering.

Only idiots really buy into his lies anymore.   Seriously, who the hell can believe a damn word from this jerkoff?  A so called "DEVOUT" Christian who spends Pslam Sunday on the golf course.  got it.   ::)  ::)

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #142 on: April 20, 2011, 10:25:36 AM »
Only idiots really buy into his lies anymore.   Seriously, who the hell can believe a damn word from this jerkoff?  A so called "DEVOUT" Christian who spends Pslam Sunday on the golf course.  got it.   ::)  ::)

I've questioned the sincerity of his convictions from day 1. 

MCWAY

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #143 on: April 20, 2011, 10:30:35 AM »
Only idiots really buy into his lies anymore.   Seriously, who the hell can believe a damn word from this jerkoff?  A so called "DEVOUT" Christian who spends Pslam Sunday on the golf course.  got it.   ::)  ::)

At least, he's not speaking in tongues....YET (that may change, depending on his poll numbers)!!!!

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #144 on: April 20, 2011, 10:32:28 AM »
At least, he's not speaking in tongues....YET (that may change, depending on his poll numbers)!!!!

LOL

240 is Back

• Getbig V
  • Complete website for only $300- www.300website.com
« Reply #145 on: April 20, 2011, 10:52:16 AM »
I'm betting giffords' is the october surprise next year.

they'll keep her under wraps.  her appearance in some swing state political rally for obama with 60,000 people in attendance (let's say, the thursday before a tuesday election) will give him a little bump.

Would anyone here put it past him?  Not as cool as a bin laden tape endorsing his opponent, but will def draw an emotional response.

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #146 on: April 20, 2011, 10:54:57 AM »
You have been playing that obl crap for years.  Give it up already. 

Roger Bacon

• Getbig V
  • Roger Bacon tries to be witty and fails
« Reply #147 on: April 21, 2011, 05:58:36 AM »
Shouldn't this thread be on the religious board? ???

loco

• Getbig V
  • loco like a fox
« Reply #148 on: April 21, 2011, 06:13:21 AM »
Shouldn't this thread be on the religious board? ???

Why?  It's about government and politicians mixing church and state.  It's political.

MCWAY

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #149 on: April 21, 2011, 07:02:38 AM »
Why?  It's about government and politicians mixing church and state.  It's political.

EXACTLY!!! And, you can bet your house that Obama will hit the black churches HARD within the next year or so. Yet, we will hear nary a PEEP from all the "separation of church and state" honks on the left.