Author Topic: Need help  (Read 2763 times)

markboots

• Getbig I
Need help
« on: May 11, 2008, 07:52:48 AM »
Hi,

I had a few questions I was hoping someone could chime in on.  My fiancee is struggling with losing those stubborn pounds around her waist (main area) and was hoping to get some feedback on the following few items.  As a note she has plently of muscle size so she just wants to get leaner (not concerned with adding muscle) so she is shooting for a figure look.  Currently 5 foot 5, 125 pounds (size 4)
1) What protein powder do you suggest? and how many grams per day?
2) Do you recommend protein bars (currently taking supreme protein snack bars) around 2 a day?
3) How many grams of protein/ carbs and fat per day?
4) How much cardio do you recommend a week and per session and at what intensity?

Sorry for all the question in one email but she is a little frustrated and wanted to try and make progress in her goals.  She finds most protein powders give her gas (burping) and she gets quite bloated (even at 20g per serving).

We train together so I am not sure if she needs to increase her reps (currently 10-12) or change some of her lifting exercises.  We do weights 4 days a week and she does cardio the same but no aerobic classes just treadmill and elipitcal. 

I was at the Arnold with her earlier in the year and should have spoken to some of the figure competitors about their suggestions.  Did not want to get a personal trainer in my area (South Jersey) because to be honest at my gym they really don't know what they are talking about.  I am not sure if I should just email someone in the field and pay for advice.  I don't mind paying for the advice as long as I know it is good. I am considering emailing Kim Oddo but $600 for a 12 week transformation is a little steep.  I also looked at a few of the fitness camps but I did not find any in New Jersey.

Any help or advice is appreciated.  Anyone going to the Altantic City show memorial day weekend?

Thanks in advance,
Mark

freespirit

• Getbig V
  • Revolt!
Re: Need help
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2008, 11:04:39 AM »
Just hang on, ripitupbaby will get to it as soon as she's logged in.

600 dollars?   :-\

Juilette

• Getbig I
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2008, 11:16:27 AM »
I suggest, good training, lots of cardio and a good diet, meat, chicken fish, eggs etc. and carbs needed to keep your system going, good fats are no problem as long as the cardio is up.

Forget about proteins and protein bars, is just commercial, does nothing for you only when you like them but that also means more cardio because calories are calories!

davidpaul

• Getbig V
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2008, 11:51:14 AM »
pm one of the nutrition gurus like candidizzle.

ripitupbaby

• Getbig V
  • 2010 Olympia Pro Powerlifting Champ
« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2008, 04:29:02 AM »
Hi Mark

A couple of things regarding your questions...

- Re. protein powders, I would suggest a clean whey protein...not a meal replacement or anything with alot of carbs and fillers.  I love Beverly International.  I also use IDS but it doesn't taste as good.  Pride Nutrition and Dave Palumbo's company (Species) have good protein powders too.  If she's trying to lean out, I wouldn't go crazy on the protein powders...but a post workout shake with some simple carbs added (like a banana) is fine.

- No protein bars if she's trying to lean out.  Go with real food and avoid the added fillers, sugars, and bad fats.

- Re. grams of carbs/protein per day...I personally do not prefer low carb/no carb diets for active people.  Carbs are the best source of energy if she is training hard and doing cardio.  What she needs to do to lean out is get herself into a calorie deficit. 
For someone her size (5-5, 125 pounds is not very big btw...so she must not have a lot to lose...tightening up should be pretty easy to do), I would recommend something like 1 gram per pound of protein, and up to 2 grams per pound of carbs as a guideline, at least for starters.  That would be 125 g protein and up to 250 g carbs.  At 4 calories per gram, that gives you about 1500 calories.  Then, add a little bit of healthy fats, and you're up to 1600-1700 calories.  If she's really active, that should lean her out.  If it's too many calories for her activity level, then cut the carbs down to 150-200 grams.  I don't see a need to go down to 100 or lower on the carbs, personally.  If she's not contest prepping, she doesn't need to suffer tremendously LOL...and you want to set up something that she can stick with long-term.

-For leaning out, I'd recommend 4-5 cardio sessions per week, preferably in the morning on an empty stomach, but anytime is OK as long as it's getting done.  30-45 mins, relatively high intensity, or intervals is even better. 
Also, weight training is extremely important.  She should be training at least 3-4 times a week.  5-5 and 125 pounds isn't a TON of muscle, so it wouldn't hurt at all to push the weights a little (i.e., go heavier) even while she's trying to lean out. 

There's a million answers to your questions, of course... this is JMO... I'd love to hear what others think.  Juiliette gave some good advice too.  :)

Let us know if you have any other questions.
:)