Author Topic: Clancy Ross - passed away  (Read 56450 times)

JohnnyVegas

Re: Clancy Ross - passed away
« Reply #50 on: May 10, 2008, 05:41:00 PM »
Why didn't you like him?

He was like a stupid little kid, immature and not really too smart. Ultimately that is what it came down to, he just acted really stupid alot of the time and it bugged me.

Dont get me wrong-Great BBer, but I got tired of his attitude.

Max_Rep

• Max Rep
  • Getbig IV
  • It’s about how hard you can GET hit...
« Reply #51 on: May 11, 2008, 10:53:31 AM »
There are some real nice historical posts by stuntmovie and JohnnyVegas in this thread. Maybe I should move it to the History board.   
and keep moving!

Made in Montana

• Getbig II
« Reply #52 on: May 11, 2008, 08:11:04 PM »
Clancy was born in Oakland, California Oct 26, 1923.  His mother died when he was very young and he was sent to an orphanage. He was later raised by various foster parents. He was skinny with rounded shoulders and was picked on because of his size, so he decided to participate in football, basketball and track to get big and strong. At 17 yrs. old (1941), he was was 5' 10", 135 lbs. and he began training with weights by following the york barbell system, putting on 15 lbs over a period of training. After the bombing of Pearl Harbour, Dec 7, 1941, Clancy joined the US Air Force and was stationed in Las Vegas.  He was assigned as the weightlifting instructor because of his build/interests and trained alongside Cpl Leo Stern, who became a positive influence and helped him pack on 35 lbs. of muscle. Squats were one of his favorite muscles to train because he used to be called "bird legs." He usually trained 4 to 5 times a week. Here’s one of Clancy’s favourite routines that helped him become 1945 Mr. America, 1948 Mr. USA and 1955 Mr. Universe:

Warm up. 
Legs
Squats 6 x 10 reps
Calf raises 4 x 25
Arms
Seated dumbbell curls 3 x 8
Preacher curls 3 x 8
Triceps pushdowns 3 x 10
Pushups on parallel bars 3 x 15
Chest Incline bench press 3 x 10
Bent arm laterals on bench 3 x 8
Abdominals
Leg raises on ab bench 200 reps
Situps on ab bench 200 reps
Side bends 100 reps each side
Shoulders
Lateral raises standing 3 x 8
Upright rowing 3 x 8
General Conditioner
Pulldowns all the way down to legs on lat machine 3 x 10

Clancy drank a lot of milk, ate a lot of protein and protein/weight gainer powders and supplements. He used 2 x 140 lb dumbbells in incline and normal bench presses...squatting, almost 400 lbs, barbell curls with 170 lbs. Clancy said: “If I had my life to liver over, there is only one slight change I would make. Instead of waiting until he was 17 years old to start training, I would have begun at 12 or 13. Life is so much more worth living when a person is strong and healthy. Now that I know the benefits, I would make every possible effort to start enjoying them just as young as possible. Building, good health and developing a muscular body is the world’s most fascinating hobby. It is one you never tire of, and one which brings you both success and happiness in life”.

Made in Montana

• Getbig II
« Reply #53 on: May 11, 2008, 09:27:19 PM »
Thank you very much for the stories, Stunt and Johnny...and Stunt--for the pics too. Very gracious of you to take those and share with us. When you visit those places, it must bring back a lot of memories...
Ed Yarick's physical culture studio was at 3355 Foothill Blvd. in Oakland--where Steve and Clancy trained. His gym may have been like some of the other gyms of the day and was described this way...the room was a small rectangle about 50 feet deep and on the right when you walked in was Ed's wood desk where he measured and wrote down the size of your arms, chest, waist and legs. Then he walked you through the beginner's routine. There was a lat pull-down, a cable row, a leg extension device, a vertical leg press, and a few wall pulleys. On one wall the fixed weight barbells were vertically racked. On the other wall was a long rack of dumbbells ranging  from 5s to 100s+. The weights had mirrors above them and framed photos of famous bodybuilders and weight lifters. There were a few flat benches and inclines. In the center of the room was an elevated wooden platform with 2 Olympic sets, plates, a squat rack and a heavy-duty flat bench. A small box on the floor had chalk in it for lifters to reach in and chalk their hands before gripping the Olympic bar. Beyond the platform and in the back of the room was a slant board for sit-ups and a leg extension piece of equipment. At the far end was a dressing room with 2 small, metal stall showers with plastic curtains, a tiny bathroom, several old lockers and a bench to sit on. This room led to a small back yard. Outside, there were  barbells, dumbells and benches.

People came to Ed gym because Ed knew what to do and was a nice guy too. Steve's mom Goldie said, "I don't think enough good can be said about Ed Yarick" (something like that). Ed was 6'4" and 250 lbs. Strongmen John Davis and Tommy Kono of the U.S. Olympic team trained at Ed's.
Clarence Ross's Physical Culture Studio was at 2306 Encinal Ave., Almeda.
Steve Reeves Athletic Club was at 6th and Alton Rd. in Ft. Lauderdale, Florida.
Pudgy and Les Stockton was at 1392 Sunset Blvd./9323 W. Pica Blvd. Los Angeles, CA.
Alan Stephan's gym was at 414 1/2 Hennepin, Minnesota.
Jack LaLanne's was at 377 17th St. in Oakland, CA.
John Farbotnik's Gym was at 1106 E. Colorado St., Glendale, CA.
Tanny's "The Cave" was at 4th and Broadway in Santa Monica, CA.
Leong's Physical Culture was at 1076 S. King and On the Mall.
Leo Stern's was at 3829 Granada Ave. San Diego, CA.
Bert Goodrich's was at 6624 Hollywood Blvd., Hollywood, CA.
Sig Klein's was at 717 Seventh Ave. New York, NY.
Vic Tanny's was at Vermont Ave. and 85th St. Los Angeles, CA.

JohnnyVegas

« Reply #54 on: May 11, 2008, 10:40:47 PM »
Good stuff, don't know where you got all the addresses but it is a gold mine.

Funny thing is Leo Stern's Gym is still in business, and is still located on Granada Ave in San Diego, 50 feet south of University. I was a member and trained there in the past. Sherman Brown is the owner today-cool guy. Stern's Gym is the OLDEST gym in the nation. Started in 1946, and has been at the Granada location since 1948. (wow, 60 years in the same location this year!)-and it is old school and hardcore. They had a letter on the wall Arnold wrote them for their 50 year anniversary in 1996.

I see Vic Tannny had a gym on Vermont Ave in LA, that is a war zone area today-very rough and tough. Tanny had a number of gyms in the LA area in the 40's and 50's. In fact Howard Zinkin (Mr. California, inventor of the Universal Weight Lifting Machine) trained at one of Tanny's gyms.

I also have an old California picture book published by Sunset Magazine (1963) titled "Beautiful California" and in one pic it has one of the old American Health Studio gyms,on Colorado Blvd. in Pasadena (Rose Bowl Parade pic).

http://sternsgym.com/pages/index2.htm

Clarence Ross's Physical Culture Studio was at 2306 Encinal Ave., Almeda.
Steve Reeves Athletic Club was at 6th and Alton Rd. in Ft. Lauderdale, Florida.
Pudgy and Les Stockton was at 1392 Sunset Blvd./9323 W. Pica Blvd. Los Angeles, CA.
Alan Stephan's gym was at 414 1/2 Hennepin, Minnesota.
Jack LaLanne's was at 377 17th St. in Oakland, CA.
John Farbotnik's Gym was at 1106 E. Colorado St., Glendale, CA.
Tanny's "The Cave" was at 4th and Broadway in Santa Monica, CA.
Leong's Physical Culture was at 1076 S. King and On the Mall.
Leo Stern's was at 3829 Granada Ave. San Diego, CA.
Bert Goodrich's was at 6624 Hollywood Blvd., Hollywood, CA.
Sig Klein's was at 717 Seventh Ave. New York, NY.
Vic Tanny's was at Vermont Ave. and 85th St. Los Angeles, CA.

Max_Rep

• Max Rep
  • Getbig IV
« Reply #55 on: May 12, 2008, 09:42:09 AM »
Clancy was born in Oakland, California Oct 26, 1923.  His mother died when he was very young and he was sent to an orphanage. He was later raised by various foster parents. He was skinny with rounded shoulders and was picked on because of his size, so he decided to participate in football, basketball and track to get big and strong. At 17 yrs. old (1941), he was was 5' 10", 135 lbs. and he began training with weights by following the york barbell system, putting on 15 lbs over a period of training. After the bombing of Pearl Harbour, Dec 7, 1941, Clancy joined the US Air Force and was stationed in Las Vegas.  He was assigned as the weightlifting instructor because of his build/interests and trained alongside Cpl Leo Stern, who became a positive influence and helped him pack on 35 lbs. of muscle. Squats were one of his favorite muscles to train because he used to be called "bird legs." He usually trained 4 to 5 times a week. Here’s one of Clancy’s favourite routines that helped him become 1945 Mr. America, 1948 Mr. USA and 1955 Mr. Universe:

Warm up. 
Legs
Squats 6 x 10 reps
Calf raises 4 x 25
Arms
Seated dumbbell curls 3 x 8
Preacher curls 3 x 8
Triceps pushdowns 3 x 10
Pushups on parallel bars 3 x 15
Chest Incline bench press 3 x 10
Bent arm laterals on bench 3 x 8
Abdominals
Leg raises on ab bench 200 reps
Situps on ab bench 200 reps
Side bends 100 reps each side
Shoulders
Lateral raises standing 3 x 8
Upright rowing 3 x 8
General Conditioner
Pulldowns all the way down to legs on lat machine 3 x 10

Clancy drank a lot of milk, ate a lot of protein and protein/weight gainer powders and supplements. He used 2 x 140 lb dumbbells in incline and normal bench presses...squatting, almost 400 lbs, barbell curls with 170 lbs. Clancy said: “If I had my life to liver over, there is only one slight change I would make. Instead of waiting until he was 17 years old to start training, I would have begun at 12 or 13. Life is so much more worth living when a person is strong and healthy. Now that I know the benefits, I would make every possible effort to start enjoying them just as young as possible. Building, good health and developing a muscular body is the world’s most fascinating hobby. It is one you never tire of, and one which brings you both success and happiness in life”.

Made in Montana... Do you have any idea how Clancy broke up his routine in the week? I didn't see any back work in there.
and keep moving!

stuntmovie

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #56 on: May 12, 2008, 01:16:32 PM »
Thanks, Montana and Max! I can't tell you when, but I will do my best to go to those old time gym locations and shoot some current day pictures and post them on here. That's quite a list, Montana!

I read most of these comments very swiftly because I am taking the kids to see "Speed Racer" so I realize I'm hopping over some great info but I do recall visiting Stern's Gym back in the early 60's in an attempt to contact Bill Pearl.

Correct me if I'm wrong here, Johnny, but I do recall (or "think" I recall) that the gym was on a busy downtown street and you had to walk up a narrow flight of stairs. Once inside, it was full of old but hard-core equipment.

I regret to say that Leo was not there that day and neither was Bill, but I did "meet" Bill a few months later as he was driving his truck up the Pacific Coast Highway through the Camp Pendleton MC Base coastline in the vicinity of Tressels. But I only honked and gave him a salute and passed on by.

A couple of years later, a good friend of mine got out of the Corps and moved to Pasadena specifically to train with Bill. At that first membership meeting, Bill asked him what he did for a living, and Rob simply stated that he had just been released from active duty and wasn't employed yet.

Bill told him to get a job and a place to stay before he started training in earnest and then come back and get serious with the weights.

Over the next few years, he became close friends with Bill and Judy and I met Bill and his family during one of my summer visits to So Cal.

Bill now lives way up north so I only run into him on rare occasions at various gym related functions. He is one of the best of the best and always has the time to recall those good old days and make recommendations to those newly involved with bodybuilding.

I honestly have never met a better person in this game, and, believe me, I have met the cast majority of them since the early days.

So, I'll do my best to get those photos shot and posted on here for anyone who may be interested.

Thanks again.  S     OH YEA! There is a Gold's Gym facing Lake Merritt in Oakland. I read a brief mention of that location earlier. Can that person provide additional details about that spot?   Off with the kids to see that racing movie and about $60 worth of popcorn, Used to cost a dime a bag but no more!   

JohnnyVegas

« Reply #57 on: May 12, 2008, 04:33:31 PM »

I do recall visiting Stern's Gym back in the early 60's in an attempt to contact Bill Pearl.

Correct me if I'm wrong here, Johnny, but I do recall (or "think" I recall) that the gym was on a busy downtown street and you had to walk up a narrow flight of stairs. Once inside, it was full of old but hard-core equipment.

I regret to say that Leo was not there that day and neither was Bill, but I did "meet" Bill a few months later as he was driving his truck up the Pacific Coast Highway through the Camp Pendleton MC Base coastline in the vicinity of Tressels. But I only honked and gave him a salute and passed on by.

Yep, that's Stern's Gym.

University Ave and El Cajon Bl. are the main west/east corridors in San Diego-and Stern's is right there at Granada and University-up those stairs!

TrueGrit

• Getbig V
  • Big dude...all the way big dude.
« Reply #58 on: May 12, 2008, 05:29:25 PM »
Made in Montana... Do you have any idea how Clancy broke up his routine in the week? I didn't see any back work in there.

Yea..I'd be really interested to know.

Seeing as he trained 4/5 days a week. This can't be the only routine - especially with no back work.
O

NarcissisticDeity

• Getbig V
  • Go back to making jewelry and cakes with your girl
« Reply #59 on: May 12, 2008, 05:30:59 PM »
R.I.P Clancy

Lord Humungous

• Getbig V
  • REVOLUTION CALLING!
« Reply #60 on: May 12, 2008, 06:21:51 PM »
RIP  Clancy, God speed!
X

JohnnyVegas

« Reply #61 on: May 12, 2008, 08:11:29 PM »
This is one hell of a BBer and great guy.

Made in Montana

• Getbig II
« Reply #62 on: May 12, 2008, 11:25:27 PM »
Thank you, Stunt and Johnny...very interesting stories and info. One week ago, Clancy could have answered training questions here himself...
For back, Clancy did 3 sets of pullovers with dumbells, lat machine pullovers, leaning row motions and one-arm rowing machine. When he first started out, Clancy was doing whole body routines 3Xweek (like Steve did). He followed the York Barbell and Dumbell System:

Course 1 (9 weeks): 3 X week

1. Barbell Swing: 2 sets/12 reps

2. Squat: 2 sets/9 reps

3. Pullovers: 2 sets/12 reps

4. Bench Press: 2 sets/8 reps

5. Press Behind Neck: 2 sets/8 reps

6. Bent Over Rowing: 2 sets/10 reps

7. Barbell Curls: 2 sets/10 reps

8. Bent Legged Dead Lift: 2 sets/7 reps

9. Sit-ups: 2 sets/10 reps

10. Leg Raise: 2 sets/10 reps

Course 2 (9 weeks): 3 X week

1. Squat: 3 sets/9 reps

2. Pullover: 3 sets/10 reps

3. Bent Arm Laterals: 2 sets/10 reps

4. Bench Press: 3 sets/8 reps

5. Press Behind Neck: 3 sets/10 reps

6. Upright Rowing: 2 sets/8 reps

7. Alternate Dumbell Press (Standing): 2 sets/8 reps

8. Standing Dumbell Curl: 3 sets/8 reps

9. Lying Triceps Curl (Extension): 3 sets/8 reps

10. Sit-ups: 3 sets/12 reps

11. Leg Raise: 3 sets/10 reps

Course 3 (6 weeks): 3 X week

1. Squat: 4 sets/8 reps

2. Pullover: 4 sets/10 reps

3. Bent Arm Pullover: 3 sets/8 reps

4. Bench Press: 4 sets/8 reps

5. Dips: 3 sets/10 reps

6. Dumbell Bench Press: 4 sets/8 reps

7. Barbell Curl: 4 sets/8 reps

8. Two Hands Dumbell Curl: 4 sets/10 reps

Course 4 (6 weeks): 3 X week

1. Bent Arm Pullover: 3 sets/12 reps

2. Bench Press: 6 sets/6 reps

3. Incline Dumbell Press: 5 sets/10 reps

4. Seated Barbell Press Behind Neck: 5 sets/6 reps

5. Upright Rowing: 4 sets/8 reps

6. Lying Triceps Curl: 5 sets/10 reps

7. Barbell Curl: 5 sets/8 reps

For back, shoulders and chest Clancy did upright rowing--10 with 110, then 10 with 130, then 10 with 150...

Max_Rep

• Max Rep
  • Getbig IV
« Reply #63 on: May 13, 2008, 01:12:08 AM »
Tanny's Santa Monica was not the "cave"  it was called  the "dungeon".

Bill Pearl Gym
1943 West Manchester Avenue
Los Angeles, California 90047
and keep moving!

TrueGrit

• Getbig V
« Reply #64 on: May 13, 2008, 05:46:31 AM »
Thank you, Stunt and Johnny...very interesting stories and info. One week ago, Clancy could have answered training questions here himself...
For back, Clancy did 3 sets of pullovers with dumbells, lat machine pullovers, leaning row motions and one-arm rowing machine. When he first started out, Clancy was doing whole body routines 3Xweek (like Steve did). He followed the York Barbell and Dumbell System:

Course 1 (9 weeks): 3 X week

1. Barbell Swing: 2 sets/12 reps

2. Squat: 2 sets/9 reps

3. Pullovers: 2 sets/12 reps

4. Bench Press: 2 sets/8 reps

5. Press Behind Neck: 2 sets/8 reps

6. Bent Over Rowing: 2 sets/10 reps

7. Barbell Curls: 2 sets/10 reps

8. Bent Legged Dead Lift: 2 sets/7 reps

9. Sit-ups: 2 sets/10 reps

10. Leg Raise: 2 sets/10 reps

Course 2 (9 weeks): 3 X week

1. Squat: 3 sets/9 reps

2. Pullover: 3 sets/10 reps

3. Bent Arm Laterals: 2 sets/10 reps

4. Bench Press: 3 sets/8 reps

5. Press Behind Neck: 3 sets/10 reps

6. Upright Rowing: 2 sets/8 reps

7. Alternate Dumbell Press (Standing): 2 sets/8 reps

8. Standing Dumbell Curl: 3 sets/8 reps

9. Lying Triceps Curl (Extension): 3 sets/8 reps

10. Sit-ups: 3 sets/12 reps

11. Leg Raise: 3 sets/10 reps

Course 3 (6 weeks): 3 X week

1. Squat: 4 sets/8 reps

2. Pullover: 4 sets/10 reps

3. Bent Arm Pullover: 3 sets/8 reps

4. Bench Press: 4 sets/8 reps

5. Dips: 3 sets/10 reps

6. Dumbell Bench Press: 4 sets/8 reps

7. Barbell Curl: 4 sets/8 reps

8. Two Hands Dumbell Curl: 4 sets/10 reps

Course 4 (6 weeks): 3 X week

1. Bent Arm Pullover: 3 sets/12 reps

2. Bench Press: 6 sets/6 reps

3. Incline Dumbell Press: 5 sets/10 reps

4. Seated Barbell Press Behind Neck: 5 sets/6 reps

5. Upright Rowing: 4 sets/8 reps

6. Lying Triceps Curl: 5 sets/10 reps

7. Barbell Curl: 5 sets/8 reps

For back, shoulders and chest Clancy did upright rowing--10 with 110, then 10 with 130, then 10 with 150...

Thanks so much for this MIM!
O

Fortress

• Getbig V
« Reply #65 on: May 13, 2008, 07:59:10 AM »
There are some very interesting posts in this thread. Thank you to those who have spent some time writing them.  :)

stuntmovie

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #66 on: May 13, 2008, 09:20:17 AM »
The days of Clancy in So Cal........

Max, I was in the Dungeon numerous times (either the late 50's or early 60's). On my first visit, Dave Draper was doing lat pulls. The place was dark as hell while I was there. I don't know who ran or owned it, but I don't believe it was Tanney. Could be wrong though.

And I don't recall Bill having any gym other than his Pasadena location which his bro "Harry" took over once Bill moved up north to Oregon.

There was another hard core gym back then that was located in one of the Santa Monica beach front hotels. It had a side entrance off the parking lot and was pretty decent inside. I was only in there once and have no idea what its name was or who ran it but it could possibly have been Joe Gold's first location. But not sure about that either, so I'm asking for help if anyone on this Board has the facts.

There was also a 'boxing club' in the Santa Monica area where some of the local BB's would train. Never visited that one but they must have had a decent lineup of equipment. I think it was on 3rd or 4th avenue.

Immediately after the Santa Monica Muscle Beach closed down, someone used to promote pretty decent bodybuilding contests in an outdoor theater type complex in the Venice Beach area. Various contests would be held on Saturday afternoons because the stage was used for various plays during the evenings. SO all the BB competitors had to line up between any stage props that were set up for the evening's performance.

Those were the days when you could ride a trolly from the Santa Monica Pier all the way to Venice Pier for a dime. It would go slowly along the beachfront walk and stop to pick up and drop off any passengers along the way. Hardly any crowds back then at all so the trolly had no traffic problems. Actually I don't recall the beach between Santa Monica and Venice ever getting crowded until the "hippies" kind of took over in the mid-60's when nude sun bathing was pretty popular on the beach in the Old Gold's Gym area.

Anyone one here recall POP?! That was Pacific Ocean Park.... Santa Monica/Venice's attempt to compete with Disneyland in the 50's.

Back in those days there were only about 6 or 7 competitors who consistently showed up at each and every contest - whether it was held on the beach or at the Embassy Hotel Auditorium in downtown Los Angeles. Those Embassy events were downright spectacular in there own rights. Gym members would show up to support their friends and get damn obnoxious. Some contestants even departed the stage upon getting hit with a rotten tomato and I've even seen one contest in which one contestant was physically dragged from the posing platform for overstaying his welcome.

Those were the great old days...  the days of Gene Mozee, George Frenn, Bill "Peanuts" West, Don Howorth, a young guy by the name of Pearl, Mac Bachelor, and a bunch of weight lifting skin-heads who always made their presence known -  and many others whom I don't recall at present ... ANY HELP HERE??

All the top guys we know today were merely a twinkle in their fathers' eye ... You gotta be Irish to understand that.

Max_Rep

• Max Rep
  • Getbig IV
« Reply #67 on: May 13, 2008, 09:25:28 AM »
Thanks stuntmovie great contributions. Regarding Bill Pearls Manchester Blvd. Gym in Inglewood... I knew a few guys who were before my time that trained there. The building was actually still there at least 3 years ago and still had his name on the front although sold years ago. It was before he owned the Pasadena location. 
and keep moving!

knny187

• Getbig V
« Reply #68 on: May 13, 2008, 10:43:09 AM »
Where did Clancy stand on steroid use in bodybuilding?

JohnnyVegas

« Reply #69 on: May 13, 2008, 12:27:41 PM »
Where did Clancy stand on steroid use in bodybuilding?

Steroids weren't available when Ross flexed, posed and preened, but he isn't contemptuous of bodybuilders who were on the "juice."

"Anything they can do to increase their body performance or proportions is fine with me," he said. "Steroids hasn't killed off any of the top bodybuilders.

I don't look at it as anything terrible."

Ross noted that steroids were offered to him after he stopped competing, but he refused to use them.

http://www.insidebayarea.com/ci_9000429?source=most_viewed

Made in Montana

• Getbig II
« Reply #70 on: May 13, 2008, 01:24:02 PM »
I was reading about Chuck Ahrens while I was looking for John Davis' weight lifting records...Peary Radar said in Ironman Lifting News magazine: "Chuck Ahrens is still in heavy training and heavy as ever. He is no longer with Les Stockton (Les now has his gym operating on a key basis--members having keys). Chuck is training at the "Cave", Tanny's 4th and Broadway gym in Santa Monica. So the roof may come in any day when he drops those monster dumbbells" (Dec. 1957 p.2). Joe Roark wrote Tanny's "The Cave" too somewhere...but MaxRep, you are right...bodybuilders (Steve, George Eiferman, Dave Draper, you, etc.) called it "The Dungeon." I just thought that one was the advertised name and one was the nickname given by some of the bodybuilders.

Vic and Armand Tanny (Armand, the 1941 Pacific Coast weight lifting champion/1950 Mr. U.S.A.) ran it. Vic opened his first gym in Rochester, NY in 1945 at age 25. It eventually spread across the country into 84 centers bringing in $15 million/year. Vic helped Steve find an apartment when he first arrived in Santa Monica--above his mother shop. Vic's mom was a seamstress with a shop at 160 Hill Street with a small apartment upstairs. When George Eiferman first came to town, he slept at Tanny's gym on the trampoline for a few days. Then he slept on the couch at Steve's for a little while before they moved in with Joy Crettaz, a 70 year old woman with a boarding house with the address "Muscle Beach By the Sea", Santa Monica, CA (it was one block from the ocean designed by famed California architect Richard Neutra). She charged $1.00 a night to bodybuilders and other health conscious people who didn't smoke and that was great for these guys who were getting the veteran 52-20 ($20.00/week).

When others learned that Steve and George lived there, some guys paid to sleep on the floor just so they could live in the same house with them. lol. Steve said the water was crystal clear and blue. He got up in the morning, took a swim in the ocean and had breakfast on the beach. He spent a dollar for rent and dollar for food each day. On Thursdays afternoons, 8-10 of the guys went to The Round-Up near Marina del Ray and ate the buffet for $1.50. It had prime rib, baked ham, mashed potatoes and dozens of fruits and vegetables. Malcom Brenner ate as much as everyone put together and almost put them out of business. Steve said, "Those were the days...they'll never be again...utter total freedom...not a worry to think about."

Bill Pearl had a gym at 1914 P Street, Sacramento, CA too.

stuntmovie

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #71 on: May 13, 2008, 03:33:24 PM »
Thanks again, Max, Johnny and Montana. I'll learning lots of new stuff here: and I  gotta say that I've met just about each individual we've mentioned so far - with the exception of Chuck Arhens.

I used to have rather long conversations with Mabel and Perry when they were the rightful owners of IronMan. They were great "farm type" folks - real laid back and genuine.

And I used to talk a great deal with Armand Tanny when he was spending lots of time on Waikiki Beach behind the Outrigger Hotel with all the local wrestlers. Met Vic Sr. when he was involved in the Vic Tanny Health Studios in downtown San Francisco on Market Street almost directly across from the cable car turnaround on Powell. As far as I can recall that was the first "gym" that had all chrome gym equipment. and catered to the general public. Never did meet VIc Jr though as far as I can recall, but I think he did enter one of the So Cal contests later on.

I met Steve many many times over the years and knew George Eifferman up until the time he passed away. In fact I received an honorarium from  George a few years before he died for previous work in the world of BB.

Also, he's not mentioned above but I did meet Reg Park in the mid 50's and many years later - his son Jon Jon.

I never did meet Joy but I spent many an hour trying to find Muscle Beach by the Sea (Muscle house) in the 60's without any success. Do you have the address, Montana, for a photo session on my next visit to So Cal?

A couple of fellow Marines got out of the Corps back then specifically to enter the world of bodybuilding and looked up Joy, who at that time had a nutrition business in the San Diego area. She helped them with her knowledge for a couple of years and both of them excelled  in the game.

And Pearl is still a friend among the living whom I still respect as one of the greatest in the world of BB.

If you ever trained at Bill's in Pasadena, I'm sure your remember Wayne Bouvier, Rob Johnson, Solo ___?___, Bill's brother (Harold), Bill's wife (Judy), and a few others who contributed to this sport during its infancy way back then.

Montana, I recognize Steve and George in that picture but who is the guy holding on to the bike in the back? Looks familiar.

Thanks again, ya'll

JohnnyVegas

« Reply #72 on: May 13, 2008, 03:55:55 PM »

about."

Great stuff Made In Montana. Can you tell me who owns the website this pic is from-"IronGameLegands"????

I think Bill Pearl's Sacramento Gym was the first gym he opened-but cannot recall for sure-one thing I do know is that it is very hot in Sacramento.

Rory Leidelmeyer's Dad was a member of Bill pearl's Sacramento Gym, and that was the first gym Rory ever joined, which would have been the mid 70's. Rory was interviewed by BB.com, or MD or one of those places, and he talked about the gym, and how everyone were great friends and were a part of something special. Good stuff, I will try to find it and post that link.

Clancy, and the others, will all be remembered for years to come.

TrueGrit

• Getbig V
« Reply #73 on: May 13, 2008, 04:35:21 PM »

When others learned that Steve and George lived there, some guys paid to sleep on the floor just so they could live in the same house with them. lol. Steve said the water was crystal clear and blue. He got up in the morning, took a swim in the ocean and had breakfast on the beach. He spent a dollar for rent and dollar for food each day. On Thursdays afternoons, 8-10 of the guys went to The Round-Up near Marina del Ray and ate the buffet for $1.50. It had prime rib, baked ham, mashed potatoes and dozens of fruits and vegetables. Malcom Brenner ate as much as everyone put together and almost put them out of business. Steve said, "Those were the days...they'll never be again...utter total freedom...not a worry to think about."

I love reading these kind of things. You manage to really capture an age.
O

stuntmovie

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #74 on: May 13, 2008, 06:03:36 PM »
Yes, Johnny, Bill did open his first gym in Sacramento as TruGrit mentioned after getting out of the Navy in 1954. I understand that he invested in US War Bonds during his time in active duty and used that money ($2,800) to open that first gym venture. His business grew to roughly 9 successful gyms throughout northern California which he eventually consolidated to the exceptionally fine gym in Sacramento until 1962.

He then moved to Los Angeles ,and purchased the famous George Redpath Gym which I assume was on Manchester Blvd in Hollywood as Max previously mentioned. Thanks, Max. (Good Redpath info here -------> http://www.la84foundation.org/SportsLibrary/IGH/IGH0301/IGH0301d.pdf )

I don't recall the year but Bill sold his Manchester gym and purchased a building in Pasadena and established his new gym with a nice home directly on the back property.

I do recall that Pasadena was just about the eastern limit of the Los Angeles basin back then. Drive a few blocks east and you were in the desert. But I seem to recall driving out that-a-way to get a haircut in a gym from a new kid who was getting impressive by the name of Rory Leidelmeyer. Anyone recall that town and the name of the gym where Rory trained when he was roughly 18 - 19 years old?

Bill's gym in Pasadena was set up so that the general public could train in the front section and the more serious lifters had the heavier equipment in the back. And there were separate days/hours for the ladies. Back then it was common for the ladies to train on their own private hours/days. I think that changed when Lisa Lyon began training with the guys at Gold's in Santa Monica and all the others followed suit.

Does anyone recall who Lisa's training partner was back in those days? Might have been Bill Grant but I'm not sure about that. Good Trivia question!

Any help on these long time memories is really appreciated. And feel free to correct any mistakes I may be maken!

Here's another trivia question! What was the yearly membership for Gold's Gym when Joe Gold owned it in Venice around 1963 - 1965? You ain't gonna believe me when I tell ya!