Getbig Bodybuilding Boards > History - Stories - and Memories

AAU Mister America - Discuss the AAU History

<< < (3/112) > >>

funk51:
next in line jules bacon1917- to 2007.. this is the year dan lurie thought he should have won, as he was the most muscular winner for the second year in a row of three total times.

funk51:
next in line the 1944 winner was steve stanko, the largest man till this point to win the contest. stanko was an avid weightlifter for the york barbell club. steve was the first man to total 1000 lbs in the three olympic lifts.

funk51:
more stanko

Joe Roark:
Although there is some controversy regarding who was the first AAU Mr. America, because the contest Goodrich won allowed professionals and amateurs, it appears to me, and there are several mentions in the old mags supporting this, that the first AAU-endorsed Mr. America was the one in 1939 won by Roland Essmaker.
Strength & Health stated this on more than one occasion in the early years, then switched to indicating that Grimek was the first AAU Mr. America. Essmaker told me he had written to S&H asking why they were trying to re-write history, but got no satisfactory response.

funk51:

--- Quote from: Joe Roark on December 17, 2009, 05:00:22 AM ---Although there is some controversy regarding who was the first AAU Mr. America, because the contest Goodrich won allowed professionals and amateurs, it appears to me, and there are several mentions in the old mags supporting this, that the first AAU-endorsed Mr. America was the one in 1939 won by Roland Essmaker.
Strength & Health stated this on more than one occasion in the early years, then switched to indicating that Grimek was the first AAU Mr. America. Essmaker told me he had written to S&H asking why they were trying to re-write history, but got no satisfactory response.

--- End quote ---
maybe it was because bob hoffman didn't approve of roland essmaker who was probably not a competetive olympic weightlifter. just a thought.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version