Author Topic: Investing and personal finance  (Read 185572 times)

Hypo

• Getbig III
Re: Investing and personal finance
« Reply #125 on: November 22, 2016, 07:48:54 PM »
Sydney and Melbourne in Australia are quite expensive for sure. The really big money next decade in Australia will be in Gold Coast Queensland property. At a high level the amount of growth and investment and infrastructure there planned is phenomenal. I would say land and property there will easily rise 15%pa for each year on average over the next decade. So very decent compounded gains to be made there if you buy now.

I haven't really looked into Goldy, but I can see where you are coming from. They'd be pumping cash for the Cth games hand over fist, too.

Rambone

• Getbig V
  • bhank is coming….
« Reply #126 on: November 23, 2016, 10:05:04 AM »
Mr. Anabolic, I'd like to let you know that I just got long gold this morning during the large down move. Needed a core position for my IRA, so I went with GLD although I usually like to use futures in my other margin account. Also sold OTM calls against the position since vol is decent in there. It's rallied since I bought it and the calls have also come in a little bit surprisingly. I'm not a chart guy, but it doesn't look pretty. Just seems oversold in such a short period of time.

FitnessFrenzy

• Getbig V
  • evolving
« Reply #127 on: November 23, 2016, 10:25:46 AM »
Mr. Anabolic, I'd like to let you know that I just got long gold this morning during the large down move. Needed a core position for my IRA, so I went with GLD although I usually like to use futures in my other margin account. Also sold OTM calls against the position since vol is decent in there. It's rallied since I bought it and the calls have also come in a little bit surprisingly. I'm not a chart guy, but it doesn't look pretty. Just seems oversold in such a short period of time.

do you also own silver?

Mr Anabolic

• Getbig V
  • Better to die on your feet than on your knees.
« Reply #128 on: November 23, 2016, 12:16:45 PM »

Nice.  However, I wouldn't be surprised if gold re-tested $1080 though.  Silver has short term support at $16 and longer term support at $15.  I do not do paper gold or silver, only physical.  I buy more every time the price drops significantly.  For me, precious metals are for l-o-n-g term wealth protection/storage, not for trading or quick profits.

FitnessFrenzy

• Getbig V
  • evolving
« Reply #129 on: November 27, 2016, 03:24:37 AM »

DroppingPlates

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • Team Pocahontas
« Reply #130 on: November 27, 2016, 04:00:12 AM »
Voodoo inVestor Vince has a cute bow tie

denarii

• Getbig V
« Reply #131 on: November 27, 2016, 04:13:26 AM »
when there is a recession these P2P lending platforms will collapse.

FitnessFrenzy

• Getbig V
  • evolving
« Reply #132 on: November 27, 2016, 04:16:51 AM »

I am not so sure. I guess we will have to see what happens.

Skorp1o

• Getbig V
« Reply #133 on: November 27, 2016, 04:30:25 AM »

Those who invest in them I.e. the individual lenders are not covered by the FSCS. Why would anyone take that risk when huge banks went under....small independent companies can go bust at any one point....mark my words there's a scandal waiting to happen here very soon.
S

Mr Anabolic

• Getbig V
« Reply #134 on: November 27, 2016, 04:32:31 AM »

I think it will take more than a recession for that to happen... has to be something big and/or unexpected.  I was actively trading during the crash of 2008/2009.  I made the largest amount of cash I've ever made (in 1 day) during those DOW 1000 point swing days.  At that time however, most trading platforms were having problems and much slower response times.  

Skorp1o

• Getbig V
« Reply #135 on: November 27, 2016, 04:36:59 AM »
I think it will take more than a recession for that to happen... has to be something big and/or unexpected.  I was actively trading during the crash of 2008/2009.  I made the largest amount of cash I've ever made (in 1 day) during those DOW 1000 point swing days.  At that time however, most trading platforms were having problems and much slower response times.  

P2P lending platforms are far more fragile, besides they're subject to less capital reserves than big banks too.
S

FitnessFrenzy

• Getbig V
  • evolving
« Reply #136 on: November 27, 2016, 05:55:58 AM »
P2P lending platforms are far more fragile, besides they're subject to less capital reserves than big banks too.

remember that the P2P lending companies have few employees and few expenses, so it would take a lot for them to go bust.

FitnessFrenzy

• Getbig V
  • evolving
« Reply #137 on: November 27, 2016, 06:04:40 AM »

Skorp1o

• Getbig V
« Reply #138 on: November 27, 2016, 06:27:10 AM »
remember that the P2P lending companies have few employees and few expenses, so it would take a lot for them to go bust.

They run on tight margins...people start to default and they have no buffer to absorb the hits. It nearly happened to one of the big lenders the name escapes me. The smaller ones are more likely to crumble
S

FitnessFrenzy

• Getbig V
  • evolving
« Reply #139 on: November 27, 2016, 07:05:53 AM »
They run on tight margins...people start to default and they have no buffer to absorb the hits. It nearly happened to one of the big lenders the name escapes me. The smaller ones are more likely to crumble

Lending Club?

We are all in this topic to get wiser, and I don't want to disagree with you if good arguments are brought to light that will make me change my mind.  :)

Skorp1o

• Getbig V
« Reply #140 on: November 27, 2016, 08:10:02 AM »
Lending Club?

We are all in this topic to get wiser, and I don't want to disagree with you if good arguments are brought to light that will make me change my mind.  :)

I'm not too familiar with how things go in the US...but here if the bank goes bust money invested up to a certain limit is covered by a compensation scheme which effectively insurance. P2p in the U.K. Are not part of that scheme so if one goes bust I'm likely to never see my money back.

But, as with all investing it is up to the inidividual to invest based on their risk appetite...but one rule everyone should embrace regardless of investing strategy is to diversify. Whether you like gold, oil, equities...futures...etc always diversify
S

Erik C

• Getbig IV
« Reply #141 on: November 27, 2016, 09:09:06 AM »
Any "caring" investment strategy, is a bad investment.

Skorp1o

• Getbig V
« Reply #142 on: November 27, 2016, 09:22:51 AM »
if you look at a historical gold chart, it has some weird price moves sometimes. I don't own gold. Maybe I should?

For hedging? Yes, for money making, most people usually go elsewhere....if you look hystorically Gold is usually popular when markets are at their worst. But owning some gold is never a bad idea, it is after all the only true international currency.
S

denarii

• Getbig V
« Reply #143 on: November 27, 2016, 10:07:52 AM »
When you go on p2p sites it's mostly chip shops borrowing unsecured for 6%.

In comparison I have a trade finance deal at 11.5% but I told them to sweeten the deal, we had a senior ship loan recently at 10%, and a 2nd lien hotel loan with 3x overcollateralisation at 16%.

Skorp1o

• Getbig V
« Reply #144 on: November 27, 2016, 10:14:52 AM »
When you go on p2p sites it's mostly chip shops borrowing unsecured for 6%.

In comparison I have a trade finance deal at 11.5% but I told them to sweeten the deal, we had a senior ship loan recently at 10%, and a 2nd lien hotel loan with 3x overcollateralisation at 16%.

As long as you know what you're doing. Are these secured loans?
S

denarii

• Getbig V
« Reply #145 on: November 27, 2016, 10:48:55 AM »
As long as you know what you're doing. Are these secured loans?

Yes only in p2p can you borrow against no assets. Although in micro finance it's similar but the terms of micro finance are very different.

BigBen

• Getbig I
« Reply #146 on: December 07, 2016, 03:00:37 AM »
why hasn't anyone suggested investing in property? it is one of the most reliable ways of investing and it will always pay itself. if you go for it the first thing to choose is the strategy. I’d say that Barcelona is probably the best option: it’s in the top 15 European property markets with really good prospects for investment, because being a popular destination it also has low interest rates and the demand exceeds the supply. another advantage is that apartments for sale in Barcelona will definitely grow in price with the course of time. if you go for short term rentals you’ll get decent returns - about 5-7% yields. hiring a management company might be a bit of strain but it will help avoiding problems with finding new tenants and the expenses will be rewarded with higher occupancy rates anyway. i'd say that it's worth considering

FitnessFrenzy

• Getbig V
  • evolving
« Reply #147 on: December 09, 2016, 11:41:41 AM »
crazy stock market gains these days!  8)

Mr Anabolic

• Getbig V
« Reply #148 on: December 16, 2016, 06:08:16 PM »
crazy stock market gains these days!  8)

It's a bubble, but as bubbles gain momentum, people become euphoric/irrational.  Then, just when you think the market will never go down again, it pops.  We're almost there.  I predict the stock market bubble pops after Trump's inauguration.  My prediction that gold and silver would go down was correct.  I'm buying on the cheap with both hands.  Silver is very undervalued and an incredible deal at current prices ($15-16).

polychronopolous

• Getbig V
« Reply #149 on: December 17, 2016, 07:14:23 AM »
It's a bubble, but as bubbles gain momentum, people become euphoric/irrational.  Then, just when you think the market will never go down again, it pops.  We're almost there.  I predict the stock market bubble pops after Trump's inauguration.  My prediction that gold and silver would go down was correct.  I'm buying on the cheap with both hands.  Silver is very undervalued and an incredible deal at current prices ($15-16).

What are your thoughts on bit coin?