Author Topic: Oldtimer1  (Read 421762 times)

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
Re: Oldtimer1
« Reply #25 on: April 20, 2017, 06:43:59 PM »
Took the day off. No cardio and no lifting.

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #26 on: April 21, 2017, 05:24:01 PM »
Delt and arms:  No warm ups shown

Press behind neck on smith machine 3 x 6 135lbs (all the way down with bar to traps)
Dumbbell laterals 2 x 10 30lbs
Rear delt laterals 2 x 10 40lbs
Machine laterals 2 x 10 70lbs
Barbell shrugs 2 x 10 240lbs

Weighted dips 2 x 8 25lbs (went deep)
Traditional tricep pushdowns 2 x 12
Tricep machine 2 x 10

EZ bar curls 2 x 10 90lbs
Machine curls 2 x 10
concentration dumbbell curl 2 x 11 25lbs

forearm wrist curl 2 x 25 95lbs
reverse pulley curl 2 x 10

ab coaster 2 x 27 60lbs
floor crunches 1 x 55 5lbs plate behind head
V bar crunches  2 x 25

Really hot blonde older milf about 55 years old. Bright red lip stick to workout. Smiled at me and made some small talk.  I like eye candy in the gym.

So many old people in the gym today.  It's like a social event. They hang out and talk about politics and other stuff. They like to sit in machines doing sets every 5 minutes.

Always amazed by how many young men who are in serious condition don't seem to have jobs. I guess some of them have afternoon and night jobs. I see the same guys day after day at 9AM or 10AM when I generally train.

I spotted a guy benching and he thanked me for what is one of my grievances at the gym. I don't bench anymore but when ever I would ask for a spot typically the guy would wrap his hands around the bar usually saying something like, " It's all you." while taking 20lbs to 30lbs off the weight of the bar. I told the guy I spotted I will only help if you fail.  He appreciated it.

What's with the gallon jugs of green or orange fluid? I don't think I ever drank a gallon of fluid working out in my life.

A lot of talk of heart attacks in the gym. Apparently a guy running on the trail by my house was found dead. The poor soul was wearing one of those athletic heart rate monitors. I guess it was reading zero beats per minute when he collapsed.

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #27 on: April 24, 2017, 12:55:17 PM »
I have to go to Texas for 7 days. We all know how horrible hotel gyms are. Going to do only Cardio there.  Maybe I will figure out what I can do in their gym. I think the dumbbells go up to 45lbs.  Ugh. I'll figure out how to make the weight heavy. Slow reps, pre exhaust and high reps.  

This is my last workout before I go tomorrow.  I did a whole body routine.  No warm ups listed. Always a full range of motion. No half or 3/4 reps.

Squats 2 x 8 225lbs (Narrow stance, high bar, and tried to go deep)
Leg extensions 2 x 12 165lbs (I know machine weight is meaningless)
Leg curl 2 x 12 90lbs

Hammer Strength pulldown 2 x 10 185lbs
Seated cable row 2 x 12 170lbs

Hammer incline bench 2 x 8 (two 45's a side plus 5lbs)
Flat flies 2 x 10 45lbs

Press behind neck on smith 2 x 6 45lbs on each side.
Dumbbell laterals 2 x 10 30lbs

Traditional tricep pushdowns 2 x 12 (stack. Sounds like a lot but it's not)
Bicep pulley curls with bar 2 x 10

Standing calf raise 2 x 12 180lbs (again machine weight is meaningless. My home unit I use 325lbs. 180lbs is really heavy on this thing.)

Neck machine: Did two sets for front, side and back.

Ab wheel rollout 2 x 24 reps

Told a steroid head who left his phone and water on one end of the gym to work out on the other side my experience where I caught a guy picking up my phone. When I approached the guy he said he just wanted to see the new generation Iphone. I know if I didn't see this guy pick up  the phone it would have been stolen. Anyway back the steroid head. Told him what happened to me in this gym and he couldn't give a damn.  Should have kept my mouth shut. LOL.

The Scott

• Getbig V
  • I'm a victim of soicumcision!!
« Reply #28 on: April 28, 2017, 09:49:37 AM »
I'm going to try that variant of Mentzer HIT by training 3 times a week alternating the sessions between once and twice each week.  I did it this week and my next session will be Sunday when I train chest, shoulders and triceps in my garage.  I have a bench press machine at home.  It sucks compared to some I've used in commercial gyms and its not as nice as a Smith but it's what I've got so I will use it.

I will do my best to give this a chance.   ;D  I do enjoy 4 days a week but perhaps its too much?

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #29 on: April 28, 2017, 08:40:20 PM »
I'm in San Antonio Texas for the week visiting my son. Really messed up my shoulder doing pull ups in the hotel gym. Don't understand why it messes up my shoulder. This is the third time I messed up my shoulder.  I think it's the dead hang position and maybe the jerk up on those final reps. Kicking pullups out permanently and power jerks. I think at my age it's important to prevent injuries as the body gets fragile.

Scott that rotation split is the routine I was in my most muscular shape life time best in my early 20's.  I was so heavily influenced by Mentzer in the late 70's. It's great plan for working hard but also for recuperation. I think I trained like that for 10 years until I went down to once a week for body parts.  

Another great routine is doing the whole body in one workout. I keep hearing guys say it's a beginner workout. I completely disagree. I think it's the absolutely the hardest way to train. I use one or at the most two exercises per body part and use two work sets. Start at the largest body part like Arthur Jones said and work down to the smallest. Done three times a week is exhausting.  I make great gains on it but it's so hard I have to quit it after a couple of weeks.

The Scott

• Getbig V
« Reply #30 on: April 28, 2017, 08:48:14 PM »
I have to warm up a lot!   For example, yesterday I did 5 warm up sets of curls before I did 2 working sets with a 4 count up followed by a 2 count pause and then a 4 count down for one arm cable curls.  The weight is puny but then I am in my 60s and have never been strong except on legs and no one asks you how much you can squat except powerlifters.  ;D

I have my pec-dec and vertical bench press machine in the garage so Sunday I will warm up a lot and the get down to business on chest, delts and triceps.  I will have to focus and train with a purpose so that I can go to failure and then, when possible do a few more in rest/pause fashion.  I am sore today, believe me.

Have fun visiting your son!

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #31 on: April 30, 2017, 08:11:41 PM »
Scott,I barely warm up except for the big movements. I bet that could be a real negative for me. I just do the absolute minimum.  Sometimes I just want to say the hell with using heavy weights then I rebel at the thought.   I think it was Bill Pearl that said he gave up caring about what weight was use in an exercise at 55.

Even though I see some of the best built guys in the gym use very modest weight I can't give up trying to lift a decent weight.  Everything is really apples to oranges. What is better?  Doing curls with  2 x 10 with 100lbs or doing 5 sets of 10 with 70lbs?  I bet the muscle gains absolute strength with the limited set intensity version but the muscle gets more work doing the muscular endurance version of 5 x 10 with the lighter weight.

I wrote the below in response to someone writing the key to gaining muscle is getting stronger as in low reps or even single reps.

Lifting will never be rocket physics. Many simpletons have become fantastic bodybuilders. Many very intelligent trainers really stink at bodybuilding. Yes, more to take into account than just genetic predisposition. There are no facts in lifting. What we have are theories. You can't argue that a theory is a fact. If we had facts we would all be training with the same training protocol

I agree with a lot of what he says. Correct me if I'm wrong but he is basically saying if you get stronger in relatively low reps and low sets you will get bigger. Truth in that but also truth in that muscular endurance might play a bigger role in muscle size than pure strength. If it's pure strength that makes a muscle bigger why don't we all do our exercises in say sets of four and single reps (4 x 1)? That's a fast way to get stronger. Reference muscular endurance I am not talking about aerobic endurance but rather using my term of muscular endurance. Training with volume will increase muscular endurance and muscle size. The overwhelming majority of successful champs have used this method. Some might point out the failures too but that doesn't negate how many champs have used volume. I think ultimately both are important for muscle size. Getting stronger for low reps and getting stronger for endurance lifting.  Guys that are use to lifting heavy for a low amount of sets are often shocked how hard it is to do their  exercises for say 5 sets of 12 reps.

One thing is a fact. A work ethic often trumps every other factor except genetic predisposition.

The Scott

• Getbig V
« Reply #32 on: May 12, 2017, 07:31:00 PM »
I've had to back off for a couple of weeks due to illness.  I hope to start up again on Sunday and will start very light and ease my way into HIT again or at least a variation on it that fits me.  I can't stand getting old!

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #33 on: May 17, 2017, 12:06:48 PM »
Sorry you were sick Scott. I know how it saps the spirit when you can't train. I didn't keep up with the thread because of lack of interest. LOL. A couple of months ago I had pneumonia that put me in the hospital.   I went from being in fantastic shape to losing everything quick. 6 days of 104 fever then I was in the hospital. Just saying this because I know how frustrating it is for you. I've been there.

Yesterday my plans were 8 x 200 meter sprints. On sprint 6 I came up lame with a pulled hamstring. I have to have my head checked by the entire Princeton psyche department.  Why do I think I'm 25 when I'm 58? Tried to do legs today and 185lbs squats were too painful.  Stiff deads for hamstrings were out. At least I had good neck workout. LOL.

Thinking for guys over 55 who are life long trainers that avoiding injury has to be a top priority along with training for health.  I realize a couple of things trying to pursue strength at my age.  I'm training wrong for my age and goals.  For example I do fairly deep squats but not full range. What has happened is my range of motion flexibility is suffering and for the first time I am having knee pain. Thinking about (don't laugh) learning to squat full range again using something like 115bs instead of my usual 225lbs to 300lbs.  That bottom range is so inflexible with my tight knees.

Other changes like sprints are done. I'm only doing them at the end of a distance run say 2 to 5 miles. I was a sprinter in high school and college. I just can't throw caution to the wind any more. Use to warm up with a 440 yard jog then go right into the sprint workout in college. Now it's going to be after a minimum a  2 mile run.  

I know there are guys that will bring up they know a 65 year old man who benches 400lbs, deads 500lbs and runs a 6 minute mile. Good for him.  I wish I had that body.  For mere mortals caution is needed.  I love low sets and for what is for me heavy weights. It might be time to think about working the muscle making a medium weight heavy instead of just trying to move the weight. I think you can actually make your body old through excessive wear and tear by not training smart.

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #34 on: June 29, 2017, 07:45:51 PM »
Trained legs today. No warm ups listed.

Leg press 2 x 12 4 plates a side. (deep full range.)
Hack squats 2 x 12 (Rarely do these. Really felt my quads on fire)
Goblet squats 2 x 12 75lbs (relatively new to these.)
stiff deadlift 1 x 6 205lbs (full range standing on a platform)
leg ext 2 x 20
seated leg curl 2 x15
standing leg curls 2 x 12

Single dumbbell side  bend 1 x15 90lbs.
Hanging leg raise 2 x 20
Incline situps 1 x 20
Ab machine crunch 2 x 25

leg press calf 2 x 25 (man do these burn. Considering I have no calves I don't know how these hurt so much)
Seated calf 2 x 15 90lbs ( try to do full range instead of the little hops I see everyone  doing)
D.a.r.t. tibalis 1 x  20 15lbs

4 way neck 1 x 20 a side

Gym Observations: Going to get back to barbell squats. Realize I  was delusional about the depth I was going. I always go up to around 275lbs every squat day recently. Now I'm going to use real baby weights and work on form and mobility.  Going to sink a baby weight and progress from there.

Grape Ape

• Getbig V
  • SC è un asino
« Reply #35 on: July 01, 2017, 09:52:10 PM »
Oldtimer:  two legit questions.

How old are you?

Are you reasonably lean with abs?
Y

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #36 on: July 02, 2017, 07:38:32 PM »
Oldtimer:  two legit questions.

How old are you?

Are you reasonably lean with abs?

59 and no hormone replacement. No abs but I drink beer often. I know I have a good build even if I have no calves. LOL. If I dial it in I can still run a couple of 7 minute miles on a good day while having decent strength for a guy about 175 to 180 at 5'8".

Grape Ape

• Getbig V
  • SC è un asino
« Reply #37 on: July 03, 2017, 04:40:25 AM »
59 and no hormone replacement. No abs but I drink beer often. I know I have a good build even if I have no calves. LOL. If I dial it in I can still run a couple of 7 minute miles on a good day while having decent strength for a guy about 175 to 180 at 5'8".

Dude, that's fantastic.   Props to you.  I only asked because I was looking at your training, and was wondering if you should swap out some duplicate exercises (ie so many different bodybuilding leg movement) for more conditioning stuff, but based on what you wrote, you're doing awesome.  Impressive, especially the running.

Calves? pfft....who cares?
Y

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #38 on: May 22, 2018, 07:33:26 PM »
Did chest and back yesterday:

Pulldowns with Max grip supinate bar 2 x 10 130lbs (kept it strict and upright. No leaning back)
Low cable rows with V bar handle 2 x 12 170lbs (all the way out and back)
Dumbbell one arm row off a bench 2 x 10 85lbs (all the way out and back)
Hammer pulldown 2 x 10

Hammer incline bench 2 x 8 two plates a side then three
Incline DB press 2 x 8 70lbs (all the way down. Slow cadence)
Flat flies 2 x 10 50lbs
Hammer flat bench 2 x 6 (this machine must be one of the originals Gary Jones made)
Push ups 1 x 20

deadlifts 2 x 4 300lbs then 1 x 1 350lbs
Weighted hypers 2 x 15 25lbs plate behind head

Ab wheel roll out 2 x 22
Crunch machine 2 x 20

Today I ran did cardio and ran 3 miles at a 9:00 minute pace. Did heavy bag work after.

IroNat

• Getbig V
  • Time you enjoy wasting, was not wasted.
« Reply #39 on: May 23, 2018, 04:14:34 AM »
Way to go, Oldtimer.

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #40 on: May 23, 2018, 08:14:31 PM »
Leg day: No warm ups listed.

Leg press 2 x 12 4 plates a side (all the way down till my legs were really bent with a low back board)
Dumbbell squats 2 x 12 85lbs (all the way down with a straight upright back.)
Ass squat machine 2 x 12( don't know what to call this machine. You push back with your leg standing. Only see women using it but it's hard as hell with the pin in the lower plates.)
leg extension 2 x 12 165lbs (sounds like a lot on this commercial machine. My home machine 80lbs is heavy.
leg curl 2 x 12 100lbs
leg adduction and abduction machine 2 sets each way

standing calf raise 2 x 12
seated calf raise 2 x 15

4 way neck machine. 2 sets a side

Hanging leg raise 2 x 22
seated knee in 1 x 20
crunch machine 2 x 20

I went home and cleaned the freshly opened pool. Can't wait for summer.

njflex

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • HEY PAISAN
« Reply #41 on: May 26, 2018, 06:08:30 PM »

Leg press 2 x 12 4 plates a side (all the way down till my legs were really bent with a low back board)
Ass squat machine 2 x 12( don't know what to call this machine. You push back with your leg standing. Only see women using it but it's hard as hell with the pin in the lower plates.)
leg extension 2 x 12 165lbs (sounds like a lot on this commercial machine. My home machine 80lbs is heavy.
leg curl 2 x 12 100lbs

seated calf raise 2 x 15

Hanging leg raise 2 x 22
seated knee in 1 x 20
crunch machine 2 x 20

Nice dude,trained thick build.esp clean

Primemuscle

• Getbig V
« Reply #42 on: June 02, 2018, 03:43:06 PM »

leg curl 2 x 12 100lbs

seated calf raise 2 x 15

Hanging leg raise 2 x 22
seated knee in 1 x 20
crunch machine 2 x 20

Great photo of you. You appear to be in great shape. Maybe next time you post more of a closeup of yourself.

Bet you have to keep the pool covered most of the time with all those trees behind the fence.

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #43 on: June 02, 2018, 07:19:03 PM »
The pool stays crystal clear. Once the hot weather comes nothing falls in the pool. In September it's a different story. The pool is closed by then.

chaos

• Getbig V
  • Ron "There is no freedom of speech here" Avidan
« Reply #44 on: June 05, 2018, 08:40:25 PM »

leg curl 2 x 12 100lbs

seated calf raise 2 x 15

Hanging leg raise 2 x 22
seated knee in 1 x 20
crunch machine 2 x 20

Ass squat machine...is that the one where the pad is on the back of your knee and it hits the glute/ham tie in?

BTW I'd hit it.  :D
Liar!!!!Filt!!!!

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #45 on: June 06, 2018, 02:05:37 PM »
Ass squat machine...is that the one where the pad is on the back of your knee and it hits the glute/ham tie in?

BTW I'd hit it.  :D

Looks something like this. The machine is brutal with a full range of motion and the pin in the lower plates.

chaos

• Getbig V
  • Ron "There is no freedom of speech here" Avidan
« Reply #46 on: June 06, 2018, 06:21:57 PM »
Looks something like this. The machine is brutal with a full range of motion and the pin in the lower plates.
I would guess that hit the similar muscles as the one in my gym. Never tried it.
Liar!!!!Filt!!!!

Primemuscle

• Getbig V
« Reply #47 on: June 17, 2018, 05:08:39 PM »

Is this another version of the machine you are referring to?

There are many versions of the kickback machine. All of them work pretty well.

You can also do something similar using a single cable set low.

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #48 on: June 17, 2018, 06:42:37 PM »
That cable version is hitting the glute hard. Those machines are like a one leg squat with major glute muscle involvement. Guys seem to avoid the machine because women are always on them. It's a killer with serious weight.

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #49 on: June 21, 2018, 07:56:32 PM »
Neglecting this thread. Today I ran 3 miles at a slow 9 minute pace. That has to come down. Then I hit the heavy bag for a couple of rounds. Tomorrow is delt and arms. Hopefully a run after that.