Author Topic: IroNat  (Read 292451 times)

IroNat

• Getbig V
  • Time you enjoy wasting, was not wasted.
Re: IroNat
« Reply #275 on: April 19, 2019, 06:12:43 AM »
I envy you that workout!  I cannot do overhead presses anymore (although I try them on a machine every once in a while w/light weight) lest I tear my ego apart with my shoulders, LOL!  Excellent regimen, sir!

Thanks.

IroNat

• Getbig V
« Reply #276 on: April 19, 2019, 07:59:38 AM »
4/19/19

Standing calf raises - 1 set of 15
Leg curls - 1 set of 8
Bench press - 6x3
Cleans - 10x2
Incline barbell press - 3x10
Barbell curls - 3x10
Reverse wrist roller - 1 set 5 times
Airdyne - 10x10sec interval sprints

Music: Zeppelin - Houses of the Holy

The Scott

• Getbig V
  • I'm a victim of soicumcision!!
« Reply #277 on: April 20, 2019, 08:04:01 PM »
I just ordered from IronMind a grip trainer (I am a wuss) and 12" (stand plates) pin loader for weighted dips and anything else I can figure out to do with it.

IroNat

• Getbig V
« Reply #278 on: April 21, 2019, 06:04:13 AM »
I just ordered from IronMind a grip trainer (I am a wuss) and 12" (stand plates) pin loader for weighted dips and anything else I can figure out to do with it.

Excellent.

Very useful equipment.

IroNat

• Getbig V
« Reply #279 on: April 21, 2019, 09:20:35 AM »
4/21/19

Seated calf raises - 1 set of 16
Cleans - 6x3
Deadlifts - 5x6

No music today.

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #280 on: April 21, 2019, 12:12:51 PM »
I have the number 1 IronMind gripper. It's hard to close. I have small hands and I can only close it for 4 reps. You can injure your forearms with these. I had bad pain near my elbows in my forearms. I strained too hard trying to close these. I like to use the Ivanko gripper thing. I adjust it for 20 reps failure.  I rarely use the IronMind gripper.  Maybe it's okay for others to practice low rep grippers but for me I like high reps.

IroNat

• Getbig V
« Reply #281 on: April 21, 2019, 12:29:09 PM »
I'm trying to recover from one of fingers on my right hand being injured. 

It is feeling better but still feels a little swollen and I have lost grip strength.

Those Ivanko grip devices look really good.

I've been wearing two work gloves on each hand to try to prevent further injury.

The Scott

• Getbig V
« Reply #282 on: April 21, 2019, 12:35:22 PM »
I have the number 1 IronMind gripper. It's hard to close. I have small hands and I can only close it for 4 reps. You can injure your forearms with these. I had bad pain near my elbows in my forearms. I strained too hard trying to close these. I like to use the Ivanko gripper thing. I adjust it for 20 reps failure.  I rarely use the IronMind gripper.  Maybe it's okay for others to practice low rep grippers but for me I like high reps.

I am hoping I can close the one I ordered.  I have small bones and hands.  Like most people that take up bodybuilding, I did so because I was tired of getting sand kicked in my face.  I was a small guy that over time made himself into a larger one.  I am older now but my ego still kicks me in the ass to get out there and exercise.

If I have trouble with this particular gripper I shall give the one you spoke of a go!

My thanks to you and IroNat for the inspiration!

IroNat

• Getbig V
« Reply #283 on: April 23, 2019, 08:11:23 AM »
4/23/19

Standing calf raises - 1 set of max reps 15
Leg curls - 1 set of max reps 12
Standing dumbbell press - 6x3
Cleans - Drills 6x2
Seated close grip barbell shoulder press - 5x6
Lat pulldowns - 5x10
Reverse wrist roller - 1 set 6x

No music today.

IroNat

• Getbig V
« Reply #284 on: April 23, 2019, 08:14:07 AM »
Been doing these for my finger. 

Seems to help.

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #285 on: April 23, 2019, 09:39:48 AM »
The rubber band thing is a great way to prevent injury from over gripping. Also try wrist extensions as opposed to wrist curls. Find a flat surface with the palm down with a dumbbell and move the hand the reverse from a wrist curl.  I do these for muscle balance/injury prevention and not so much as a way to develop the forearm.  I think muscle imbalances happen from too much gripping and stuff like wrist curls. The opposing muscles have to be developed to prevent injury the forearm and elbow region. 

IroNat

• Getbig V
« Reply #286 on: April 23, 2019, 01:44:21 PM »
The rubber band thing is a great way to prevent injury from over gripping. Also try wrist extensions as opposed to wrist curls. Find a flat surface with the palm down with a dumbbell and move the hand the reverse from a wrist curl.  I do these for muscle balance/injury prevention and not so much as a way to develop the forearm.  I think muscle imbalances happen from too much gripping and stuff like wrist curls. The opposing muscles have to be developed to prevent injury the forearm and elbow region. 

Agreed.

The Scott

• Getbig V
« Reply #287 on: April 23, 2019, 06:56:13 PM »
I trained shoulders and arms today.

I did 5 supersets of DB laterals and the rear delt machine.  Next I did 5 sets of DB Hammer Curls and then 5 sets of JM presses on the Smith Machine.  Finally, 5 sets of standing DB wrist curls.  I would say the weights used  were  unimportant but that's only because they were  in fact, unimpressive. 

'Dammit... ;D

IroNat

• Getbig V
« Reply #288 on: April 24, 2019, 04:14:49 AM »
I trained shoulders and arms today.

I did 5 supersets of DB laterals and the rear delt machine.  Next I did 5 sets of DB Hammer Curls and then 5 sets of JM presses on the Smith Machine.  Finally, 5 sets of standing DB wrist curls.  I would say the weights used  were  unimportant but that's only because they were  in fact, unimpressive.  

'Dammit... ;D

Good!

Any day in the gym training is a good day.

Have fun with training.

IroNat

• Getbig V
« Reply #289 on: April 26, 2019, 08:48:47 AM »
4/26/19

Standing calf raises - 2 sets AMRAP
Leg curls - Same
Bench press - 7x2 and 1x7 same weight
Cleans - 10x2 drills
Close grip bench press - 5 sets 6-8 reps
Wide grip bench press - 1 x 17
Close grip pulldowns - 5x10
Wide grip pulldowns - 1x12
Reverse wrist roller -  1 set
Farmers walk with dumbbells - 3 sets of about 100 feet
50 lb plate pick up and put down 20 times for 3 sets

Music: Led Zeppelin IV

IroNat

• Getbig V
« Reply #290 on: April 28, 2019, 11:52:16 AM »
4/28/19

Seated calf raises - 3 sets max reps
Cleans - 8x2
Deadlifts - Single reps working up to 3 top singles
Standing dumbbell curls - 3 sets max reps

Music: Page & Plant

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #291 on: April 28, 2019, 01:23:09 PM »
Going to try to get back into power cleans and jerks again. It's an amazing exercise.

IroNat

• Getbig V
« Reply #292 on: April 28, 2019, 04:04:41 PM »
Going to try to get back into power cleans and jerks again. It's an amazing exercise.

They're good!

IroNat

• Getbig V
« Reply #293 on: April 30, 2019, 08:24:54 AM »
4/30/19

Standing calf raises - 3 sets AMRAP 12-15 reps
Leg curls - 3 sets AMRAP 8-10 reps
Standing dumbbell press - 7x2 and 1 set same weight AMRAP 7 reps
Upright rows - 5 sets AMRAP 8-10 reps
Bent over dumbbell rows - 5 sets AMRAP 6-8 reps

No music today

The Scott

• Getbig V
« Reply #294 on: April 30, 2019, 07:41:10 PM »
Last week and now into this week I have been trying to do no more than a max of 6 sets per bodypart including warmups but will readily admit to sometimes doing a few extra warmup sets.  I need warmups.  ;D

So then, on Sunday I did shoulders and arms and today  I did back and chest. I've inserted a rest day and will give the 3 day a week alternating schedule a try.  So this week shoulders and arms will be hit twice and back and chest once.  Last week it was the opposite.

I do not do legs since my accident several years ago.  Of course this upsets me as I really enjoyed all forms of traditional leg training, especially so the barbell squat but I can no longer do any of that.  I am starting to look like Johnny Bravo.  ;D 

I was training 2 or 4 times a week but decided to give the 3 days per week  routine a shot for a month or so.  So far I like it even though I sometimes feel lazy not training a couple of days in a row but think  I need the rest to recover and hopefully build myself up some.

Back and chest today consisted of three sets each of close grip palms up pulldowns and then floor pully rows with the cable set at about 6 feet off the ground (different angle just to be different!).  Then I did three sets each of Smith Machine Bench presses and three sets of cable crossovers.  The weight got progressively heavier on everything so that by the time of the third set of each of the two exercises per bodypart,  I was getting 3 to 5 reps for the final working set.

I will rest tomorrow and maybe Thursday too.  Either way when next I train it will be shoulders and arms again and I will rest until either Sunday or Monday. 

IroNat

• Getbig V
« Reply #295 on: May 01, 2019, 03:49:56 AM »
Last week and now into this week I have been trying to do no more than a max of 6 sets per bodypart including warmups but will readily admit to sometimes doing a few extra warmup sets.  I need warmups.  ;D

So then, on Sunday I did shoulders and arms and today  I did back and chest. I've inserted a rest day and will give the 3 day a week alternating schedule a try.  So this week shoulders and arms will be hit twice and back and chest once.  Last week it was the opposite.

I do not do legs since my accident several years ago.  Of course this upsets me as I really enjoyed all forms of traditional leg training, especially so the barbell squat but I can no longer do any of that.  I am starting to look like Johnny Bravo.  ;D 

I was training 2 or 4 times a week but decided to give the 3 days per week  routine a shot for a month or so.  So far I like it even though I sometimes feel lazy not training a couple of days in a row but think  I need the rest to recover and hopefully build myself up some.

Back and chest today consisted of three sets each of close grip palms up pulldowns and then floor pully rows with the cable set at about 6 feet off the ground (different angle just to be different!).  Then I did three sets each of Smith Machine Bench presses and three sets of cable crossovers.  The weight got progressively heavier on everything so that by the time of the third set of each of the two exercises per bodypart,  I was getting 3 to 5 reps for the final working set.

I will rest tomorrow and maybe Thursday too.  Either way when next I train it will be shoulders and arms again and I will rest until either Sunday or Monday. 

I have always felt best on a 3-day per week routine, with a day's rest between workouts and 2 days rest after 3 workouts.

I look forward to the 2 days rest.

What was your leg injury?

IroNat

• Getbig V
« Reply #296 on: May 03, 2019, 10:57:03 AM »
4/3/19

Standing calf raises - 3 sets AMRAP
Leg curls - 3 sets AMRAP
Bench press - 6x1 and 1 AMRAP set (6 reps)
Cleans (Squat cleans) - 9x2 drills
Wide grip bench press - 3 sets AMRAP
Wide lat pulldowns  - 3 sets AMRAP
DB hammer curls - 3 sets AMRAP
Reverse wrist roller - 1 set

No music today

IroNat

• Getbig V
« Reply #297 on: May 05, 2019, 08:20:56 AM »
5/5/19

Seated calf raises - 3 sets AMRAP
Leg curls - 3 sets AMRAP
Squat cleans - 7x1
Barbell rows - 5x8

IroNat

• Getbig V
« Reply #298 on: May 07, 2019, 09:11:06 AM »
5/7/19

Standing calf raises - 3 sets AMRAP
Leg curls - Same
Standing dumbbell press - 6x1 and 1x6 same weight
Squat cleans - drills
High incline barbell press - 5x6-8
Close grip pulldowns - 5x8-15 reps
Standing dumbbell curls -  1 set AMRAP
Reverse wrist roller - 1 set

Music:

The Scott

• Getbig V
« Reply #299 on: May 07, 2019, 06:50:49 PM »
I have always felt best on a 3-day per week routine, with a day's rest between workouts and 2 days rest after 3 workouts.

I look forward to the 2 days rest.

What was your leg injury?

I sent you a PM.

Monday I did back and chest. 

Close grip palms up pulldowns and then a seated rowing machine for three more sets.  My rep range was 17 down to 7.  I miss doing DB shrugs but not only do they HURT, they also build my traps to a ridiculous degree making my shoulders look even more narrow. I have not done them for several weeks but perhaps I should give them a go again to finish out my back routine.

I tried the bench press on the Smith Machine and as recommended by Mentzer,  used a grip slightly wider than shoulder width (since my shoulders are not exactly wide, that is not that wide a grip, LOL!) and go for a first set of up to 20 reps.  I think the Smith Machine makes the weight a whole lot less than is on the bar, perhaps by as much as 50%.  Never was a strong bench presser but given what I use now I am a wimp. I'm betting it's in the neighborhood of 80 lbs if on a real bar (including the bar, dammit! ;D

I kept the weight the same and did two more sets followed by three sets of cable crossovers.  The range of reps was 22 on down to 7.  Done. 

I rested today and tomorrow morning I will do shoulders and arms.  No shoulder presses at all.  They hurt too much.  I will do standing DB laterals supersetted with a rear delt machine.  The Hammer Curls and JM Presses for arms, 6 sets each including my warmups.  I will have to settle for the illusion of strength, if

As I age I notice many of my fellow seasoned citizens are just flabbing out.  They are also targets for the disgusting youth of today because they look, and are, so frail.  I don't want that and refuse to give up on myself.  I think I'll start wearing 15 or so shirts to create the illusion of massivity!  ;D