Author Topic: IroNat  (Read 295393 times)

Primemuscle

• Getbig V
Re: IroNat
« Reply #425 on: September 27, 2019, 09:21:08 AM »
9/27/19

1 leg weighted calf raises - 3x12
Seated calf raises - 3x12
Squat cleans - 3x3
Leg curls - 3x10
Seated barbell press - 3x10
Db side raises - 3x10
Incline barbell press - 3x10
Cable pullovers - 3x10
Wide lat pulldowns - 3x10
Alternate db curls - 3x10
Concentration curls - Did a set of 8-10 reps between every set up to Incline BB press including warmup sets. 24 sets.
Knee-ups - 1xMax reps
Grip

55 sets
2 minute rests.

The # 1 minimalist workout you posted plus some added ab work went well yesterday. I was able to slightly increase the resistance on most of the movements. IMO, my quads are disproportionately thin at barely 22". I also have no butt to speak of. -Hip measurement at the widest point is 38". Do you have any suggestions as to what if any exercises to add to target these two areas. -Leg extensions and lunges are two that come to mind. My concern is that if I overwork these two muscle groups, it will be counter productive. I'm warming up for :10 minutes on the stationary bike before beginning the routine.

I can wear pants/jeans in any size from a 30" to a 32" waist with 32's being the most comfortable. The thigh measurement on pants this size run about 24 -25" on average. I feel like they look like clown pants on me. Presently, I am 5' 10" and weigh 169 - 170 which is actually an increase since a few weeks ago. My weight has always had the tendency to increase when I am working out. But then, I often add a protein drink or two per day to my regular diet.

IroNat

• Getbig V
  • The only constant in life is change. – Heraclitus
« Reply #426 on: September 27, 2019, 10:19:08 AM »
The # 1 minimalist workout you posted plus some added ab work went well yesterday. I was able to slightly increase the resistance on most of the movements. IMO, my quads are disproportionately thin at barely 22". I also have no butt to speak of. -Hip measurement at the widest point is 38". Do you have any suggestions as to what if any exercises to add to target these two areas. -Leg extensions and lunges are two that come to mind. My concern is that if I overwork these two muscle groups, it will be counter productive. I'm warming up for :10 minutes on the stationary bike before beginning the routine.

I can wear pants/jeans in any size from a 30" to a 32" waist with 32's being the most comfortable. The thigh measurement on pants this size run about 24 -25" on average. I feel like they look like clown pants on me. Presently, I am 5' 10" and weigh 169 - 170 which is actually an increase since a few weeks ago. My weight has always had the tendency to increase when I am working out. But then, I often add a protein drink or two per day to my regular diet.

First, I don't want to pretend I have all the answers.  I can only give you my two cents.

A lot of older men seem to lose mass in their legs.  Check out the over 60 men in the muscle beach contests.  No legs!

I've wondered why this is.  Is it due to sarcopenia?  Is it due to lack of exercise? ???

My theory is that it might be because the knees are often a problem when you get older.  You just can't train the legs well if you have bad knees or hips.

That's one possibility.  Another is that people don't like to train legs!

If you can't do squats or use a leg press then how can you keep leg mass in the quads and overall leg?  So that's a problem for sure.

The best exercises for leg and glute mass are some form of squat or the leg press.  

*Saw your post with the machine you use for doing front squats.  That looks good.  Just keep doing them and gradually get better/stronger.

Leg extensions are best for definition, not mass.  Skip them.  Leg curls are good.  You can do them if you feel up to it. 

Biking is for cardio, I don't think it is good for mass although intense sprinting could be good.

Check this out for more quad exercises: https://exrx.net/Lists/ExList/ThighWt#Quadriceps

Primemuscle

• Getbig V
« Reply #427 on: September 27, 2019, 01:40:27 PM »
Thanks for your input. Lucky for me neither my knees or my hips are compromised. Although, I had arthroscopy on my right knee several years ago to repair a torn meniscus. I have on occasion put my back out and my doctor diagnosed me with degenerative disk disease. This being said, I have never had trouble with it from lifting or exercise. I actually like working legs. Squats are such a complete exercise because they impact one's whole body. I keep my abs tight and focus on breathing and form when doing squats. Still, I used to walk a lot while at work and do this much less since I retired.

For some reason, I cannot use much weight when doing leg curls if I am to get a complete movement. Oddly, my hams look more developed than my quads. I am a big fan of leg presses and have been for decades. I remember doing them on equipment that required my legs be in a completely vertical position as opposed to the angled or more horizontal leg press machines. Gravity was used to best advantage on that machine.

It occurs to me that I will add some body weight when my quads grow. This is fine as long as the weight isn't in the form of fat on my lower back or abs.  :)

The only reason I am using the stationary bike is to warm up and not for the benefits of cardio. I'm not good about doing stretches or warm-up sets with very light weight.

IroNat

• Getbig V
« Reply #428 on: September 30, 2019, 06:30:41 AM »
9/30/19

1 leg calf raises - 3x12
Seated calf raises - 3x12
Squat cleans - 6x3 light
Side Db raises - 3x10
Cable pullovers - 3x10
Concentration curls - 3x10
Tricep pushdowns - 3x10
Knee-ups - 1x40reps
Grip stuff

Felt tired so cut back the volume.  The Weider Instinctive Training Principle.
28 sets
1 hour

IroNat

• Getbig V
« Reply #429 on: October 02, 2019, 06:26:19 AM »
10/2/19

Seated calf raise - 3x12
Squat cleans - 5 singles
Db side raises - 3x10
Cable pullovers - 3x10
Tricep pushdowns - 3x10
Knee-ups - 1 set of max reps
Grip stuff

*Went heavier on the cleans today and really felt them in my upper back and lats today.  Damn!

IroNat

• Getbig V
« Reply #430 on: October 04, 2019, 08:35:56 AM »
10/4/19

1 leg calf raises - 5 sets max reps bodyweight
Squat cleans - 5x1
Muscle clean & press - 3x5
Barbell rows - 3x5
Upright barbell row - 3x10
Barbell curls - 3x10
Pushups - 2x20
Knee ups - 1xmax reps

Worked out in the garage today.

Those 37+ set workouts are burning me out so will have to cut back.  
Something around 25 sets is probably right.

Primemuscle

• Getbig V
« Reply #431 on: October 04, 2019, 06:19:07 PM »
I'm still following the minimalist workout program. I've got it down to 1 1/4 hours total from arrival to departure. Today, I did side laterals for delts as opposed to the upright rows. I've continued to add ab work at the end and a 10 minute warm up on the stationary bike at the start. I feel pretty good. As per usual when I workout in earnest, I've gained a little weight. Today I weighed 173 lbs.

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #432 on: October 05, 2019, 01:41:53 PM »
Ironat, have you ever done a volume approach and what do you think about it?  The very few times I have tried it I'm embarrassed by the weight I have to use. Doing four or five sets of an exercise forces me to use really light weights. 5 x 10 with short rests is a poundage killer.  ;D

IroNat

• Getbig V
« Reply #433 on: October 05, 2019, 06:02:28 PM »
Ironat, have you ever done a volume approach and what do you think about it?  The very few times I have tried it I'm embarrassed by the weight I have to use. Doing four or five sets of an exercise forces me to use really light weights. 5 x 10 with short rests is a poundage killer.  ;D

I guess the first question is "what do you consider volume training"?  What do you think it is?  I guess you think it's 4-5 sets.  How many exercises total?  How many exercises per bodypart?

4-5 sets is not volume training if you only do one exercise per bodypart.  This could be done full-body.  Squat, bench, row, curl, calves.  20 sets total.  Bang!

Yes, I have done very high volume training.  Legs/back one day...chest/shoulders the next...Arms the next. Calves & abs everyday.  Repeat.  60 sets a day.  360 sets/wk.

This type of routine is good for cutting up but it's too exhausting to use otherwise, especially if you are natty.  High volume like this is not for getting stronger or bigger.

I got strong and big training 2-3 times a week on a full-body routine.  

Like this.  These are only the work sets.

Squats 3x6
Bench press 3x6
Pullups 3x10
Incline press 3x6
Barbell rows 3x6
Seated front press 3x6
Lying tricep extension 3x6
Barbell curls 3x6
Standing calf raises 3x10
Deadlifts 3x3
Sit-ups - 1 set of 50

I got really strong & big on this routine.  30 sets per day.  90 sets/week.

Now, I'm thinking more like 20-25 sets/day for the whole body, 3 times a week, 60-75 sets/week.  7-10 reps for the most part.  If I get 10 reps all sets add weight.

The amount of weight is determined by how many reps you do in a set, and the total reps you do.  The lower the reps the more weight you can do, right?

Anyway, it's all about progression.  

How do you measure it?

Are you getting stronger?  Either doing more reps with a given weight or doing more weight for given reps.

You have to have some way of measuring progress.  How do you do it?

If you do one set only what is your goal for that set?  When do you decide to add weight? 10 reps?  12 reps?

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #434 on: October 05, 2019, 07:12:04 PM »
I don't believe intensity is the magic bullet for bodybuilding. If getting stronger was the magic bullet we would all be doing singles to get stronger in demonstrating that strength in one rep. I firmly believe that a bodybuilder's muscle outside of steroid guys is from muscular endurance training. Yes, volume. I define volume as a split routine doing three to four exercises a body part for three to six sets an exercise. Having said that I train with intensity. At this stage of the game I want to maintain what strength I have and hopefully train athletically. The days of doing back and chest ending with sets of 405lbs in the deadlift for reps is over. I no longer do power cleans and jerks for sets with 230lbs on chest and back day. I do realize these weights are nothing. I do want to maintain what strength I have. Doing volume would increase muscular endurance and not strength as defined as a single rep max.

You talk of measuring progress. Yes on occasion I lower the weight and cycle up. After 40 plus years of lifting can I really get stronger?  I always try for an extra rep. Doing the routine is less time. I've come to the realization that maintaining a training diary was counter productive in terms of making the work out so competitive I would burn out. If you're in you 60's and have a 235lbs max in the power clean is a realistic goal to achieve a 250lbs power clean? Must young men after 5- 10 years of training have essentially maxed out. Sometimes a different goal of training for muscular endurance for increasing reps is a more realistic goal than trying to increase a single rep as a measurement of progress.

Sometimes I think the world of bodybuilding is filled with fools and insecure guys and I am part of that world I guess. I know I train hard. I venture few of the younger guys in my gym could keep up with me for a week of training. In the end it isn't rocket science. Some really stupid guys are very successful bodybuilders and some really smart guys in training knowledge look like crap.  

IroNat

• Getbig V
« Reply #435 on: October 06, 2019, 05:11:40 AM »
Yes, more reps with a given weight is certainly progress.  You could do thousands of pushups if you want.  There are all kinds of strength.  You have to decide what kind of strength you want to develop.  

It's hard to be good at everything.  Can you be a successful competitive powerlifter if you do 40 rep sets?   No.  Can you be a successful MMA fighter doing powerlifting only?  No.  Different types of strength required.

I posted a link to this article awhile back.  Muscular endurance is not one of the things discussed.  If that was your goal you could certainly train for it.

>

The Perfect Rep Ranges for Size, Strength and Power

https://www.stack.com/a/the-perfect-rep-ranges-for-size-strength-and-power

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #436 on: October 06, 2019, 09:12:22 AM »
Yes, more reps with a given weight is certainly progress.  You could do thousands of pushups if you want.  There are all kinds of strength.  You have to decide what kind of strength you want to develop.  

It's hard to be good at everything.  Can you be a successful competitive powerlifter if you do 40 rep sets?   No.  Can you be a successful MMA fighter doing powerlifting only?  No.  Different types of strength required.

I posted a link to this article awhile back.  Muscular endurance is not one of the things discussed.  If that was your goal you could certainly train for it.

>

The Perfect Rep Ranges for Size, Strength and Power

https://www.stack.com/a/the-perfect-rep-ranges-for-size-strength-and-power

I have a strong disdain for personal trainer certifying companies. One of the things mentioned is using 85% of a single rep for 8 to 12 reps for muscle growth for your sets.  I don't think there are any trainers who could use that for sets of 8 to 12 reps for 85% of their single. So if your bench is 300lbs you're directed to use 255lbs for sets of 8 to 12 reps?  Just bull shit.

The term I use for increasing strength for reps is muscular endurance. Increasing the weight you can use for say 4 sets of 10 is increasing muscular endurance and not to be confused with strength. Not to be confused with aerobic endurance.

On a side note have you ever seen pictures of the guys that write personal trainer or exercise physiology text books? It's an eye opener. More times than not they are chubby out of shape guys who must be delusional when they look in the mirror.

One thing for sure the most important thing in many sports is power and that's not to be confused with strength.  I doubt Joe Frazier or Ali could bench 300lbs but due to their explosiveness could sure punch like a mule. I see big bench press guys hit the heavy bag like with the power of little girls because they have no true power.

IroNat

• Getbig V
« Reply #437 on: October 07, 2019, 10:11:42 AM »
10/7/19

Squat clean - 4 singles
Db side raises - 3x10
Cable bent pullover - 3x10
1 leg calf raises - 3xmax reps with bodyweight
Knee-ups - 50 reps

20 sets.

IroNat

• Getbig V
« Reply #438 on: October 09, 2019, 07:44:32 AM »
10/9/19

Squat clean - 4 singles
Db side raises - 3x10
Cable bent pullover - 3x10
seated calf raises - 3xmax reps with bodyweight
Knee-ups - 50 reps

20 sets.

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #439 on: October 09, 2019, 10:37:02 AM »
Keep pumping!  I trained legs today at home. Good to use my leg press today. Haven't use the leg press in many weeks for legs because the commercial gym I train in has the worst leg press.  The angles are all wrong and instant knee pain for days after using it.

IroNat

• Getbig V
« Reply #440 on: October 09, 2019, 11:37:49 AM »
Keep pumping!  I trained legs today at home. Good to use my leg press today. Haven't use the leg press in many weeks for legs because the commercial gym I train in has the worst leg press.  The angles are all wrong and instant knee pain for days after using it.

Have cut my workout in half and feel better.  Getting stronger too.
I'd like to have a leg press like you.  Watching Craiglist but no good deals so far.

IroNat

• Getbig V
« Reply #441 on: October 11, 2019, 08:24:10 AM »
10/11/19

Squat clean - 4 singles
Incline barbell press - 3x7-10
Db side raises - 3x7-10
Cable bent pullover - 3x7-10
Concentration curls - 3x7-10
1 leg calf raises - 3x10-15 with db
Knee-ups - 60 reps
Grip stuff

20 sets.

IroNat

• Getbig V
« Reply #442 on: October 14, 2019, 06:54:27 AM »
10/14/19

Squat clean - 4 singles
Incline barbell press - 3x7-10
Db side raises - 3x7-10
Cable bent pullover - 3x7-10
Concentration curls - 3x7-10
Seated calf raises - 3x10-15
Knee-ups - 60 reps
Grip stuff

20 sets.

Although these workouts are not long (1 hour), they are pretty intense.
Been doing squat cleans every day of the week for the past 10 days.  Adding 5 lbs. every 4th workout.
Also doing isometrics on off days.
So far so good.

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #443 on: October 14, 2019, 07:30:15 PM »
I envy your ability to do squat cleans. I really think my ability to bend my arms fully especially my left is over. Arthritis runs in my family and I think it's doing a number on the ability of my left arm to bend fully. Looking in the mirror I can't fully extend it either. I believe it's way past not having flexibility and has gone to bone deformation through arthritis.  When I catch a weight in the power clean it looks like the press position. Not an optimal way to catch the weight.

I bet doing them every day is really training your athletic function for the lift. I know when I doing it just three times a week I made rapid progress in the power clean. Never achieved anything special but I could do a 230lbs power clean and jerk every training session after doing my typical 3 x 3 that prefatigued my attempt at a single. Now since my one arm doesn't fully bend I can't catch the weight properly. Getting sick of deadlifts. Looking forward to some quick lifts.

IroNat

• Getbig V
« Reply #444 on: October 15, 2019, 05:37:15 AM »
I envy your ability to do squat cleans. I really think my ability to bend my arms fully especially my left is over. Arthritis runs in my family and I think it's doing a number on the ability of my left arm to bend fully. Looking in the mirror I can't fully extend it either. I believe it's way past not having flexibility and has gone to bone deformation through arthritis.  When I catch a weight in the power clean it looks like the press position. Not an optimal way to catch the weight.

I bet doing them every day is really training your athletic function for the lift. I know when I doing it just three times a week I made rapid progress in the power clean. Never achieved anything special but I could do a 230lbs power clean and jerk every training session after doing my typical 3 x 3 that prefatigued my attempt at a single. Now since my one arm doesn't fully bend I can't catch the weight properly. Getting sick of deadlifts. Looking forward to some quick lifts.

Try a wider hand spacing on the cleans.

Primemuscle

• Getbig V
« Reply #445 on: October 15, 2019, 09:46:16 AM »
Worked out at home yesterday because I needed to be here all day with this landscape project. Or, maybe I want to be here when the crews are working just to make sure they are doing everything right.

Only worked legs.

4X15 deep, wide stance squats
4X15 calf raises
4X15 leg extensions
3X15 stiff legged toe touches - hands flat to floor
3X15 lunges - each side

IroNat

• Getbig V
« Reply #446 on: October 16, 2019, 07:56:34 AM »
10/16/19