Author Topic: Why I try to live by the Serenity Prayer  (Read 4825 times)

Howard

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
Why I try to live by the Serenity Prayer
« on: May 08, 2019, 11:23:10 AM »
If you don't know here  is my "plain talk" version :

"God, give me the strength to change to things I can, accept  things I can't change and the wisdom to know the difference "

A know plenty of times things didn't work in my favor or I wanted to change something.
It's humbling to accept an unfavorable result, but it can be a real blessing if you have faith.

Agnostic007

• Getbig V
Re: Why I try to live by the Serenity Prayer
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2019, 08:01:49 PM »

"God, give me the strength to change to things I can, accept  things I can't change and the wisdom to know the difference "

A know plenty of times things didn't work in my favor or I wanted to change something.
It's humbling to accept an unfavorable result, but it can be a real blessing if you have faith.

I tend to live by it and it reduces my stress significantly. My wife on the other hand tends to stress about everything, and in turn, causes me stress. So I don't know really if I should just give in and get stressed about things I normally wouldn't get stressed about so we can share our stress, or continue to deal with placating her stress over things she can't change

Agnostic007

• Getbig V
Re: Why I try to live by the Serenity Prayer
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2019, 08:05:29 PM »

On the "it can be a blessing if you have faith" that may be true, but it can be a blessing even if you don't. I think it's a mindset. Can I change the fact my flight got canceled? No. Ok.. what's the solution? My career has conditioned me to evaluate my circumstances and not fret over it, but figure out how to solve it. I do it automatically. First I assess the situation. Can I fix it? If I can I work to fix it. If I can't I go to the "what are my options" phase. I tell you, the only stress in my life is generated from my wife who hasn't mastered the art of not focusing on the problem, but the solution.