Author Topic: Prayer and Religion in Public Life  (Read 637849 times)

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
  • I am. The most interesting man in the world. (Not)
Re: Prayer and Religion in Public Life
« Reply #950 on: November 21, 2023, 12:27:33 PM »
I do not believe in absolute truth and don't think that's a bad thing.

I do.  I think some things are universally right and wrong.  Like abusing children and the elderly.  That is evil.  No ifs, ands, or buts.  On the flip side, caring for children and the elderly is universally good.  There are other issues like this.

I do agree that there is also a lot of gray in many areas. 

Humble Narcissist

• Getbig V
« Reply #951 on: November 22, 2023, 12:16:50 AM »
I do.  I think some things are universally right and wrong.  Like abusing children and the elderly.  That is evil.  No ifs, ands, or buts.  On the flip side, caring for children and the elderly is universally good.  There are other issues like this.

I do agree that there is also a lot of gray in many areas.
That's not what he meant.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #952 on: November 22, 2023, 11:34:52 AM »
That's not what he meant.

Doesn't absolute truth include universal rights/wrongs?

Agnostic007

• Getbig V
« Reply #953 on: November 22, 2023, 07:06:17 PM »
I do not believe in absolute truth and don't think that's a bad thing.

I'm assuming his absolute truth reference is about God.. and I agree with you.

Humble Narcissist

• Getbig V
« Reply #954 on: November 23, 2023, 01:39:48 AM »
I'm assuming his absolute truth reference is about God.. and I agree with you.
God and biblical truths, yep.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #955 on: November 23, 2023, 07:55:10 PM »
Thanksgiving Proclamation, 3 October 1789
Thanksgiving Proclamation
[New York, 3 October 1789]
By the President of the United States of America. a Proclamation.

Whereas it is the duty of all Nations to acknowledge the providence of Almighty God, to obey his will, to be grateful for his benefits, and humbly to implore his protection and favor—and whereas both Houses of Congress have by their joint Committee requested me “to recommend to the People of the United States a day of public thanksgiving and prayer to be observed by acknowledging with grateful hearts the many signal favors of Almighty God especially by affording them an opportunity peaceably to establish a form of government for their safety and happiness.”

Now therefore I do recommend and assign Thursday the 26th day of November next to be devoted by the People of these States to the service of that great and glorious Being, who is the beneficent Author of all the good that was, that is, or that will be—That we may then all unite in rendering unto him our sincere and humble thanks—for his kind care and protection of the People of this Country previous to their becoming a Nation—for the signal and manifold mercies, and the favorable interpositions of his Providence which we experienced in the course and conclusion of the late war—for the great degree of tranquillity, union, and plenty, which we have since enjoyed—for the peaceable and rational manner, in which we have been enabled to establish constitutions of government for our safety and happiness, and particularly the national One now lately instituted—for the civil and religious liberty with which we are blessed; and the means we have of acquiring and diffusing useful knowledge; and in general for all the great and various favors which he hath been pleased to confer upon us.

and also that we may then unite in most humbly offering our prayers and supplications to the great Lord and Ruler of Nations and beseech him to pardon our national and other transgressions—to enable us all, whether in public or private stations, to perform our several and relative duties properly and punctually—to render our national government a blessing to all the people, by constantly being a Government of wise, just, and constitutional laws, discreetly and faithfully executed and obeyed—to protect and guide all Sovereigns and Nations (especially such as have shewn kindness unto us) and to bless them with good government, peace, and concord—To promote the knowledge and practice of true religion and virtue, and the encrease of science among them and us—and generally to grant unto all Mankind such a degree of temporal prosperity as he alone knows to be best.

Given under my hand at the City of New-York the third day of October in the year of our Lord 1789.

Go: Washington

https://founders.archives.gov/documents/Washington/05-04-02-0091

Agnostic007

• Getbig V
« Reply #956 on: November 23, 2023, 07:57:57 PM »
You'd think we would have evolved in over 200 years and it looks like we have. The belief in "the almighty" is at an all time low

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #957 on: November 27, 2023, 10:26:28 AM »
Thanksgiving Proclamation, 3 October 1789
Thanksgiving Proclamation
[New York, 3 October 1789]
By the President of the United States of America. a Proclamation.

Whereas it is the duty of all Nations to acknowledge the providence of Almighty God, to obey his will, to be grateful for his benefits, and humbly to implore his protection and favor—and whereas both Houses of Congress have by their joint Committee requested me “to recommend to the People of the United States a day of public thanksgiving and prayer to be observed by acknowledging with grateful hearts the many signal favors of Almighty God especially by affording them an opportunity peaceably to establish a form of government for their safety and happiness.”

Now therefore I do recommend and assign Thursday the 26th day of November next to be devoted by the People of these States to the service of that great and glorious Being, who is the beneficent Author of all the good that was, that is, or that will be—That we may then all unite in rendering unto him our sincere and humble thanks—for his kind care and protection of the People of this Country previous to their becoming a Nation—for the signal and manifold mercies, and the favorable interpositions of his Providence which we experienced in the course and conclusion of the late war—for the great degree of tranquillity, union, and plenty, which we have since enjoyed—for the peaceable and rational manner, in which we have been enabled to establish constitutions of government for our safety and happiness, and particularly the national One now lately instituted—for the civil and religious liberty with which we are blessed; and the means we have of acquiring and diffusing useful knowledge; and in general for all the great and various favors which he hath been pleased to confer upon us.

and also that we may then unite in most humbly offering our prayers and supplications to the great Lord and Ruler of Nations and beseech him to pardon our national and other transgressions—to enable us all, whether in public or private stations, to perform our several and relative duties properly and punctually—to render our national government a blessing to all the people, by constantly being a Government of wise, just, and constitutional laws, discreetly and faithfully executed and obeyed—to protect and guide all Sovereigns and Nations (especially such as have shewn kindness unto us) and to bless them with good government, peace, and concord—To promote the knowledge and practice of true religion and virtue, and the encrease of science among them and us—and generally to grant unto all Mankind such a degree of temporal prosperity as he alone knows to be best.

Given under my hand at the City of New-York the third day of October in the year of our Lord 1789.

Go: Washington

https://founders.archives.gov/documents/Washington/05-04-02-0091

There is George Washington.  Then there is Joe Biden.

Biden Officially Tries to Remove God from Thanksgiving with 2023 Proclamation
Rachel M. Emmanuel, The Western Journal   By Rachel M. Emmanuel, The Western Journal
Published November 22, 2023

When we say the word “Thanks-giving,” it presumes the giving of thanks.

But to whom is that thanks given?

Since the first Thanksgiving on Plymouth Rock and its subsequent establishment as a day of thanks on Oct. 3, 1789, the recipient of that thanks on behalf of the United States of America has always been God.

But in keeping with the destruction of everything good and virtuous in this nation, this year, God has been removed as the recipient of thanks on Thanksgiving.

On Wednesday, President Biden released his Thanksgiving proclamation for 2023.

For the first time in American history, the proclamation completely omitted any reference to God or faith.

As a nation founded on Judeo-Christian values, this disturbing omission shows how far we have strayed from the original spirit behind America’s national day of Thanksgiving.

The pilgrims who celebrated the first Thanksgiving in 1621 were devout Christians fleeing religious persecution. Their celebration followed a brutal first year in the New World, where nearly half their population perished. Despite unimaginable hardship, their faith remained unshaken. They credited God for sustaining them and bringing them their first successful harvest.

This theme carried through the centuries, with presidents honoring God in their Thanksgiving proclamations. George Washington implored all Americans to acknowledge God’s “providence,” and to “unite in most humbly offering our prayers and supplications to the great Lord and Ruler of Nations.”

On Nov. 28, 1861, Lincoln declared that all government offices would be closed on Thanksgiving Day, writing in his proclamation, “No human counsel hath devised nor hath any mortal hand worked out these great things…I do, therefore, invite my fellow citizens in every part of the United States, and also those who are at sea and those who are sojourning in foreign lands, to set apart and observe the last Thursday of November as a day of Thanksgiving and Praise to our beneficent Father who dwelleth in the Heavens.”

Former President Donald Trump proclaimed in his 2020 Thanksgiving address, “On Thanksgiving Day, we thank God for the abundant blessings in our lives…I encourage all Americans to gather, in homes and places of worship, to offer a prayer of thanks to God for our many blessings.”

While some president’s speeches may have been more devout than others over the years, Biden is the first president to delete God from his Thanksgiving proclamation altogether.

In his proclamation, Biden declared, “This Thanksgiving, we are grateful for our Nation and the incredible soul of America.”

Grateful to whom?

Gratitude without a recipient is like a fake Christmas gift under a department store tree. The wrapping is pretty, but it’s ultimately worthless and empty.

Sadly, Thanksgiving has been becoming a more secular holiday with every passing year, and it seems like Biden decided to put the final nail in the coffin.

If we cannot even name the ultimate Source in which all Americans, regardless of creed, are rooted historically, we are adrift from the moorings with no destination and no anchor to hold us firm.

https://thefederalistpapers.org/opinion/biden-officially-tries-remove-god-thanksgiving-2023-proclamation#google_vignette

Agnostic007

• Getbig V
« Reply #958 on: November 27, 2023, 09:02:08 PM »
https://www.whitehouse.gov/briefing-room/presidential-actions/2023/11/22/a-proclamation-on-thanksgiving-day-2023/

Here is the actual proclamation. That someone can get offended by it is telling.

I suppose I should be up in arms because Biden did mention Jesus/god in it...

"IN WITNESS WHEREOF, I have hereunto set my hand this twenty-second day of November, in the year of our Lord two thousand twenty-three, and of the Independence of the United States of America the two hundred and forty-eighth."

JOSEPH R. BIDEN JR.

People are just looking for nonsense to whine about.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #959 on: January 29, 2024, 01:39:21 PM »
Niners QB Brock Purdy after last night's incredible comeback:

“It’s a testament to God and where he’s taken me in life. I put my faith and trust in him and he’s gotten me where I’m at.

When I’m down 17 at the half… ‘Alright God you’ve taken me here. Win or lose I’m gonna glorify you.’ That’s my peace.

https://twitter.com/limajuliettango/status/1751838726597009822

Agnostic007

• Getbig V
« Reply #960 on: January 29, 2024, 10:05:28 PM »
Niners QB Brock Purdy after last night's incredible comeback:

“It’s a testament to God and where he’s taken me in life. I put my faith and trust in him and he’s gotten me where I’m at.

When I’m down 17 at the half… ‘Alright God you’ve taken me here. Win or lose I’m gonna glorify you.’ That’s my peace.

https://twitter.com/limajuliettango/status/1751838726597009822

Not unlike the person who lost two legs in a land mine explosion giving praise to god that he is alive. There really is no bottom or top to the ridiculousness of giving praise to a supernatural being.

Humble Narcissist

• Getbig V
« Reply #961 on: January 30, 2024, 01:47:48 AM »
Not unlike the person who lost two legs in a land mine explosion giving praise to god that he is alive. There really is no bottom or top to the ridiculousness of giving praise to a supernatural being.
I would love an athlete to blame God for the loss of a game.  ;D

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #962 on: February 01, 2024, 11:58:42 AM »
Speaker Mike Johnson
@SpeakerJohnson

This morning, I joined Congressional colleagues in welcoming President Biden to the U.S. Capitol for the National Prayer Breakfast.

“Commit everything you do to the Lord. Trust him, and he will help you.” Psalm 37:5

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #963 on: February 06, 2024, 05:51:57 PM »
https://icjs.org/the-violent-take-it-by-force/

Neve heard of them.  Sounds like the "Christian Nationalist" boogeyman. 

B_B_C

• Getbig IV
  • change is the lot of all
« Reply #964 on: April 01, 2024, 12:54:35 PM »
.Blessed are those who are meek - for they shall inherit the earth
c

Agnostic007

• Getbig V
« Reply #965 on: April 01, 2024, 07:49:42 PM »
.Blessed are those who are meek - for they shall inherit the earth

certainly appears so...

Humble Narcissist

• Getbig V
« Reply #966 on: April 02, 2024, 12:13:13 AM »

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #967 on: April 05, 2024, 02:39:56 PM »
Atheist Richard Dawkins now labels himself a 'cultural Christian': Here's why
BLAZETV STAFF
APRIL 05, 2024

Famous atheist Richard Dawkins has spent years criticizing religion, but in a recent interview, Dawkins told Rachel Johnson of LBC, “I count myself a cultural Christian.”

“I love hymns and Christmas carols, and I sort of feel at home in the Christian ethos. If I had to choose between Christianity and Islam, I choose Christianity every single time,” Dawkins continued.

He explained his reason being that Christianity is a “fundamentally decent religion” while “Islam is not.”

When questioned on this belief, he responded that the Quran is fundamentally hostile to women and gays, and he likes “to live in a culturally Christian country,” although he doesn’t “believe a single word of the Christian faith.”

By signing up, you agree to our Privacy Policy and Terms of Use, and agree to receive content that may sometimes include advertisements. You may opt out at any time.

Pat Gray is shocked.

“That seems like a shift in his ethos, if you will,” he says.

“I will say, cultural Christianity from Richard Dawkins [is] pretty interesting. You know why? Because he has seen the decay of society and civilization, that’s why. He sees our very civilization crumbling around us and what keeps it together,” Gray adds.

America was founded on Christian values, and Dawkins is recognizing what happens when the masses reject those values.

“Once you’ve built your foundation on those principles and then people start taking a jackhammer to it, something bad is going to happen. And he understands that now,” Gray says.

https://www.theblaze.com/shows/pat-gray-unleashed/atheist-richard-dawkins-now-labels-himself-a-cultural-christian-here-s-why

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #968 on: April 08, 2024, 11:35:09 AM »
I wonder what the devout Catholic President Biden thinks about this?

Vatican condemns surrogacy, gender-affirming surgery, gender theory in new doctrinal note
Vatican doctrinal chief calls it 'painful' that some Catholics support gay criminalization
VATICANVATICAN NEWS
BY CHRISTOPHER WHITE
Vatican Correspondent
April 8, 2024
https://www.ncronline.org/vatican/vatican-news/vatican-human-dignity-document-condemns-sex-change-gender-theory-and-surrogacy

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #969 on: April 09, 2024, 01:14:07 PM »
Dom Lucre | Breaker of Narratives
@dom_lucre

Denzel Washington went live on Instagram with pastor Bernard to express his devotion to Christ and ‘God’s plan.’

Washington also spoke on the state of Hollywood and said we are being forced to deal with ‘powers higher than ourselves’

https://twitter.com/dom_lucre/status/1777076359245750541

Agnostic007

• Getbig V
« Reply #970 on: April 09, 2024, 08:37:15 PM »
Dom Lucre | Breaker of Narratives
@dom_lucre

Denzel Washington went live on Instagram with pastor Bernard to express his devotion to Christ and ‘God’s plan.’

Washington also spoke on the state of Hollywood and said we are being forced to deal with ‘powers higher than ourselves’

https://twitter.com/dom_lucre/status/1777076359245750541

Love most of his movies but Equalizer 3 was an embarrassment

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #971 on: April 16, 2024, 01:36:23 PM »
Love most of his movies but Equalizer 3 was an embarrassment

The sequels are rarely as good as the first installment, but all three movies were pretty much the same.  And his performance was good in all three.