Author Topic: FRANK ZANE boycotted the Mr Olympia contest after the controversial 1980 contest  (Read 57956 times)

tommywishbone

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • Biscuit
ok when we were backstage, Arnold starting giving Mentzer a hard time about his training theory and his gut...

Mike got pissed, Arnold got into his head and he wanted a piece of Arnolds ass...thank god Ken was there to help Arnold.  Its not that Arnold wouldnt fight, but he just wanted Mike to go over the edge, and he did.

I was in great shape, I would have given it to Roger Walker, I always thought he had a great build.

The reason Arnold won, is that when we look at him, we dont see his condition, we see what he used to look like.  Thats why he won, he is the greatest
in everyones head.

That's heavy. So you are. . .

and yes, zane broke his trophy...mike would never be the same...and I retired as well.
a

tommywishbone

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • Biscuit
So oldman you are. . .

1980 Mr Olympia

Place    Prize    Name    Points     Posedown     Total
1     $25,000    Arnold Schwarzenegger  295 5 300
2                     Chris Dickerson              290 2 292
3                     Frank Zane                     291 0 291
4                     Boyer Coe                      280 0 280
5                     Mike Mentzer                  280 0 280
6                     Roger Walker                 277 0 277
7                     Roy Callender                  277  277
8                     Dennis Tinerino               276  276
9                     Tom Platz                       271  271
10                    Danny Padilla                 260  260
11                    Ed Corney                      256  256
12                    Tony Emmott                 254  254
13                    Roy Duval                      252  252
14                   Casey Viator                    252  252
15                   Samir Bannout                 251  251
16                    Ken Waller                     249  249
a

Vince B

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • What you!
He didn't say he was in the contest but was back stage in 1980. I don't remember seeing Chet there but just about everyone who was anyone in bodybuilding was at the Olympia in Sydney that year.

He said he was in the movie Don't Make Waves. Draper, Lewis and Yorton were the 3 top bodybuilders in that movie.

Figo

• Getbig V
I dont recall saying that I retired after the show...I thought I said that I was there as in backstage.

That's what I thought

Vince B

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • What you!
Chet is 73 I think. He beat Arnold in the Mr Universe in 66.

tommywishbone

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • Biscuit
"ok when we were backstage, Arnold starting giving Mentzer a hard time about his training theory and his gut...

Mike got pissed, Arnold got into his head and he wanted a piece of Arnolds ass...thank god Ken was there to help Arnold.  Its not that Arnold wouldn't fight, but he just wanted Mike to go over the edge, and he did.

I was in great shape, I would have given it to Roger Walker, I always thought he had a great build.

The reason Arnold won, is that when we look at him, we dont see his condition, we see what he used to look like.  Thats why he won, he is the greatest
in everyones head.

and yes, zane broke his trophy...mike would never be the same...and I retired as well."
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Guys, the way this is phrased, Oldman is implying that #1 HE WAS A COMPETITOR and #2 HE RETIRED AFTER THE 1980 MR. OLYMPIA.

Perhaps that's not what he intended to convey to us but that's clearly what is implied.

a

Kwon_2

• Getbig V
  • Pretty sure he isn't in Ibiza getting the girls
Good Detective-Work Basile!

jwb

• Getbig V
Oldman was only 24 in 1980.

He stated his age as 56 in a post from August, 2012.

tommywishbone

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • Biscuit
Oldman was only 24 in 1980.

He stated his age as 56 in a post from August, 2012.

If he was being truthful here, oldman is either. . .   hang tight. . .

Wow. It makes no sense.   None of the 1980 Mr Olympia competitors was 24 years old on stage. Both Samir and Tom Platz were only 25, but neither retired after the 1980 Olympia.
a

jwb

• Getbig V
His birthdate is June 19, 1956.

MikMaq

There's no denying his legacy in bodybuilding and the attention he brought to it, but the 1980 Olympia fiasco was just one in a series of events--the latest being his marital infidelities--that prove that Arnold is a self-serving egomaniac.

I don't agree with him on much, but what Valentino said in Bigger, Stronger, Faster about celebrities and how they act when the cameras aren't rolling was spot-on.
The problem isn't his ego it's his competency.

He didn't wanna hurt his name, so he wouldn't acknowledge that he was competing until the judges already told him he had it in the bag.

THe late entry etc, was nonsense.

The fact of that matter is arnold acted like a spoil brat. He'd be like gretzky coming out of retirement in the 3rd period in a game that was already won.

The fact of the matter is, arnold is was and always will be a hack. He had a great body, but otherwise couldn't act, couldn't lead, afraid to compete, and a horrible parent.

hazbin

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
His birthdate is June 19, 1956.

so he was about ten years old when he was a movie star.

crownshep

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
According to oldmans profile he lives in Chandler Arizona,is at least 6 foot tall,which narrows the list of competitors down in the 80 Olympia.Most of them are 5" 6`,some under that,some dead which only leaves Arnie,waller or Walker.

Vince B

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • What you!
Ken Waller is 6 feet and was at the Olympia in 1980. He looks like an old man now but is 70.

Roger Walker is about 5' 8". Ken beat Roger in 1975 for the IFBB Mr Universe title.

Donny

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • getbig Zen Master
I read that ken waller was a bit of a hard guy..could look after himself.

wild willie

• Getbig V
Chet is 73 I think. He beat Arnold in the Mr Universe in 66.
CHET YORTON LOOKS UNREAL HERE! VERY GOOD BUILD!

Donny

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • getbig Zen Master
CHET YORTON LOOKS UNREAL HERE! VERY GOOD BUILD!
x2

jwb

• Getbig V
According to oldmans profile he lives in Chandler Arizona,is at least 6 foot tall,which narrows the list of competitors down in the 80 Olympia.Most of them are 5" 6`,some under that,some dead which only leaves Arnie,waller or Walker.
Jesus Christ the guy is pulling your legs. His old posts show he was a kid of 24 in 1980 who had only ever been to world gym once in 1979 after moving from Florida to California. He was never in sydney in 1980 let alone backstage or onstage.

He spent 20 years in the Air Force and now spends his time chasing women around Arizona. He competed in the 2008 sr masters at the npc "natural" western USA on march15.

He did predict jay cutler would comeback and beat Dexter in 2009.

Rome

• Getbig IV
  • Pics or GTFO!
No, 1980 doesn't count. Null and void. 6x Mr. O. Dorian is the better 6x Mr. O. Arnold is a prick.
Agreed, that win was a fucking gift. Arnold looked flat and lanky and should have maybe placed fourth.

Love the famous -Mentzer pointing his finger at Arnold - picture. Arnie lookeded scurred.    ;D

Palpatine Q

• Getbig V
  • Disdain/repugnance....Version 3: glare variation B
Agreed, that win was a fucking gift. Arnold looked flat and lanky and should have maybe placed fourth.

Love the famous -Mentzer pointing his finger at Arnold - picture. Arnie lookeded scurred.    ;D

Arnold looked like a world famous 6 time Mr Olympia who was toying with some nobodies fragile mind.

njflex

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • HEY PAISAN
Arnold looked like a world famous 6 time Mr Olympia who was toying with some nobodies fragile mind.
YEAH,,,AND YES IT WAS A DIFFERENT ARNOLD ,,AND WOULD HAVE LOOKED AWESOME GIVEN LONGER TIME TO GET READY,,EVEN THAT SAID IN 8 WKS LOOK WHAT HE DID,,AND CAME INTO CONDITION THE TIMES CALLED FOR 'ZANE'CONDITION ,,HE HAD AB CUTS HE NEVER SHOWED AT HIS BIGGEST ,STRIATIONS IN PECS,HE LOOKED SMALLER,SMOOTHER IN SOME SHOTS AND LEGS SUCKED BUT HE HAD THE ARNOLD STANDOUT PARTS NEEDED TO WIN,,,THE OTHER GUYS TOP 5 WERE GREAT TOO NO QUESTION...

OTHstrong

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • Jasher

Didn't look scared to me, calm, legs crossed not given a fuck, really.

@ WIGGS -there was no late entry, he enetered a month before, he just let everyone know the day before.

@ Tommy, so are you suggesting "oldman" is fucking with us?, if so NOT COOL

oldman

• Getbig III
so guys remember, I have to protect my identity, this is the internet.  that said, if you remember the magazine advertisements for the olympia, in 1980, as I recall Arnold was not on the poster.  I told a friend, he is going to surprise everyone and compete...and he did.

Zane had a theory that Arnold was the king and you would have to beat him, not just come in your best.  the judges see arnold as unbeatable, so someone would hae to destroy him.  we know that is not possible.  so arnold won, who else could.

its not anymore surprising than when franco won his height class with no legs, nobody quit over that.

nothen, if you are curious who I am...if you remember Lance Dreher, I live in the same state he lives in now.  If you dont know who he is, dont google him.  you are not a bodybuilding fan, just a poser.

jwb

• Getbig V
so guys remember, I have to protect my identity, this is the internet.  that said, if you remember the magazine advertisements for the olympia, in 1980, as I recall Arnold was not on the poster.  I told a friend, he is going to surprise everyone and compete...and he did.

Zane had a theory that Arnold was the king and you would have to beat him, not just come in your best.  the judges see arnold as unbeatable, so someone would hae to destroy him.  we know that is not possible.  so arnold won, who else could.

its not anymore surprising than when franco won his height class with no legs, nobody quit over that.

nothen, if you are curious who I am...if you remember Lance Dreher, I live in the same state he lives in now.  If you dont know who he is, dont google him.  you are not a bodybuilding fan, just a poser.
there are plenty of galleries of the 2008 natural western usa on the Internet too dude.

tommywishbone

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • Biscuit
The dates and numbers of oldmans post (this thread's post and others) don't make sense.  He cant easily prove me wrong by posting a single picture.
a