Author Topic: What did you eat yesterday?  (Read 779416 times)

DroppingPlates

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • Team Pocahontas
Re: What did you eat yesterday?
« Reply #3075 on: August 05, 2018, 09:42:53 AM »
3-4 days for someone with normal glycogen storage. For someone who ate a high-carb diet, it can take up to a week. The peak ketone production point is usually 3-4 weeks after starting. I recommend ketostix to gauge ketone density...when you're at purple, you're ketogenic.

But like any diet, if there's no caloric deficit you won't lose weight. Hell, you might even gain some. The only reason advantage of a 2000-calorie (for example) keto diet vs a 2000 calorie one that uses simple and complex sugars is that your fat storage is the main fuel source for your body, although it still uses lean muscle tissue as well even with adequate protein intake. Problem is you don't consume the same amount of fat per week as the diet goes on; you'll need to add cardio or more intense weight lifting, which you won't last long doing...unless you refill with carbs. So I don't really see it as a great diet for fat loss over a long period of time, but your initial drop (including) water will be huge; you'll also have insane energy for a while.

Solid post. The main issue with most individuals, is that they don't track their weight and caloric intake, even after I suggest them to use a tracker app like Myfitnesspal to make things easier.

cephissus

• Getbig V
« Reply #3076 on: August 05, 2018, 09:48:16 AM »
What causes the "insane energy"?

I don't need any weight loss, I just think my current lifestyle is unhealhy, and want to see if I feel any better at the other end of the spectrum.

I never stuck with a low-carb diet for more than a couple days, so I'm always wondering, "what if I'll have better focus, less pain, more energy like so many report?"

I finally think I've recovered enough from my previous debacles to  perform a month long trial and, hopefully, put these questions to rest.

Go 4 It

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • "The World Meets Nobody Half Way"
« Reply #3077 on: August 05, 2018, 10:24:11 AM »
3-4 days for someone with normal glycogen storage. For someone who ate a high-carb diet, it can take up to a week. The peak ketone production point is usually 3-4 weeks after starting. I recommend ketostix to gauge ketone density...when you're at purple, you're ketogenic.

But like any diet, if there's no caloric deficit you won't lose weight. Hell, you might even gain some. The only reason advantage of a 2000-calorie (for example) keto diet vs a 2000 calorie one that uses simple and complex sugars is that your fat storage is the main fuel source for your body, although it still uses lean muscle tissue as well even with adequate protein intake. Problem is you don't consume the same amount of fat per week as the diet goes on; you'll need to add cardio or more intense weight lifting, which you won't last long doing...unless you refill with carbs. So I don't really see it as a great diet for fat loss over a long period of time, but your initial drop (including) water will be huge; you'll also have insane energy for a while.
Glucometer is the only way to truly know if you are in ketosis, those piss strips are a waste of money.

What causes the "insane energy"?

I don't need any weight loss, I just think my current lifestyle is unhealhy, and want to see if I feel any better at the other end of the spectrum.

I never stuck with a low-carb diet for more than a couple days, so I'm always wondering, "what if I'll have better focus, less pain, more energy like so many report?"

I finally think I've recovered enough from my previous debacles to  perform a month long trial and, hopefully, put these questions to rest.
The energy is because your blood sugars are stable, they aren't up and down all day. Not to mention everyone of us has fat reserves which will supply tons of energy. I recommend you limit your coffee or take it away completely, it will just deplete your electolytes, up your sodium immensely salt all of your meals, keep your lifting to low volume, and limit cardio. For the first few weeks.

The Scott

• Getbig V
  • I'm a victim of soicumcision!!
« Reply #3078 on: August 05, 2018, 10:31:15 AM »
Food.

Royalty

• Getbig V
  • Mentzer is Alive
« Reply #3079 on: August 05, 2018, 01:35:01 PM »
Food.

DroppingPlates

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • Team Pocahontas
« Reply #3080 on: August 05, 2018, 01:54:50 PM »

Primemuscle

• Getbig V
« Reply #3081 on: August 05, 2018, 02:02:29 PM »
Apparently less than I should have, since I was 5 lbs. lighter this morning. -Probably just a water issue. I oftentimes forget to maintain proper hydration. Yesterday, I did a physically taxing project, working in the sun and the heat. By the time I wound it up, I was drenched in sweat, which is rare for me. Never the less, when I climbed onto the scale this morning, I was shocked to see that I only weighed 167.5 lbs. My ideal is 175.

cephissus

• Getbig V
« Reply #3082 on: August 05, 2018, 03:10:44 PM »
I just ran 10 miles, thought it was gonna be tough but not moreso than usual. Still no appetite.

FitnessFrenzy

• Getbig V
  • evolving
« Reply #3083 on: August 05, 2018, 03:11:59 PM »
I just ran 10 miles, thought it was gonna be tough but not moreso than usual. Still no appetite.

I hope you feel like posting some of your food pictures again some time  :)

FitnessFrenzy

• Getbig V
  • evolving
« Reply #3084 on: August 05, 2018, 03:13:10 PM »
protein bar

ciabatta with ham and cheese

ciabatta with beef

cappuccino and a cookie

protein bar

almonds

banana

The Scott

• Getbig V
  • I'm a victim of soicumcision!!
« Reply #3085 on: August 05, 2018, 03:47:51 PM »
Both of you should think more outside the lunch box

;D

cephissus

• Getbig V
« Reply #3086 on: August 05, 2018, 04:09:02 PM »
I hope you feel like posting some of your food pictures again some time  :)

It's all just boring repetitive stuff these days, I don't cook for other people anymore.

Plus you're clearly a man of refined taste; my crude experiments would probably make you retch ;D

robcguns

• Getbig V
  • Founder of the proud straight white male movement
« Reply #3087 on: August 05, 2018, 04:10:53 PM »
4 hot dogs
2 sausage and egg McMuffins
2 protein shakes
1 cup of oats
1 rotisserie chicken

cephissus

• Getbig V
« Reply #3088 on: August 05, 2018, 04:24:01 PM »
Keep your lifting to low volume, and limit cardio. For the first few weeks.

For this experiment, I was planning to stick to my normal habits as closely as possible, unless they made following the diet impossible -- then I would change them.

I do 3 long distance runs (5-15 miles) a week and three whole body weight sessions (about 100 reps weekly of squats, deads, pullups, press, and dips plus some accessory work). Sometimes just 2 weight sessions and one bodyweight or isometric.

Apart from that, I do a lot of walking, so I get about 10 miles of day total activity.

I figure I might have to cut my activity significantly -- what do you think? Also kind of worried about my job, which is fast-paced mental work, but I can probably cruise for a month.

IRON CROSS

• Getbig V
« Reply #3089 on: August 05, 2018, 06:51:45 PM »
Durian
5 variety's of mango
star fruit
green salad
Thai veggies with rice & nuts
3 large coconuts juices
2 l of H20
5 black coffees
+ "supplaments"  ;)

8)

FitnessFrenzy

• Getbig V
  • evolving
« Reply #3090 on: August 06, 2018, 07:12:54 AM »
It's all just boring repetitive stuff these days, I don't cook for other people anymore.

Plus you're clearly a man of refined taste; my crude experiments would probably make you retch ;D

I have many lazy cooking days with oatmeal etc. We are all too busy to cook sometimes!

cephissus

• Getbig V
« Reply #3091 on: August 06, 2018, 08:44:04 AM »
Had some salmon patties with 4 eggs and lots of coconut oil and a little spinach last night. For some reason steak was just too unappetizing, but I figured this shouldn't be breaking too much with the rules.

I felt pretty good this morning. It was easier than usual to wake up, for sure.

Zillotch

• Getbig V
  • the smoke of their torment ascendeth up for ever
« Reply #3092 on: August 06, 2018, 09:13:26 AM »
Apparently less than I should have, since I was 5 lbs. lighter this morning. -Probably just a water issue.

or the beginning of a death spiral.

IRON CROSS

• Getbig V
« Reply #3093 on: August 06, 2018, 04:23:01 PM »
Last night 1 of my Thai training partners : chicken in Australia is much bigger (doped Aussie bird) he was living in Sydney for 2 years & eating 1/2 roasted supermarket chicken every single day .............. :)

Primemuscle

• Getbig V
« Reply #3094 on: August 06, 2018, 08:29:46 PM »
or the beginning of a death spiral.

Possibly, but I doubt it since I was back up to 170 this morning.  ;)

TheOne

• Getbig III
« Reply #3095 on: August 06, 2018, 11:03:21 PM »
Durian
5 variety's of mango
star fruit
green salad
Thai veggies with rice & nuts
3 large coconuts juices
2 l of H20
5 black coffees
+ "supplaments"  ;)

8)

You had Durian fruit?  You are one adventurous mofo!!!

cephissus

• Getbig V
« Reply #3096 on: August 06, 2018, 11:52:01 PM »
day 3:

lunch: about a pound of bacon (whole foods was out of all other non-breaded meats) and 4 eggs, with a little kale and broccoli
dinner: salmon patty, lots of butter, mushrooms, spinach, and broccoli. 3 eggs and more butter.

tested my ketones and im already at 0.8... i guess anything above 0.5 is "ketosis"?

today was my first workout... surprisingly it wasn't bad at all -- maybe even better than last monday.

i definitely noticed:

1. more standard energy level throughout the day. still had a "dip" in the afternoon, but not as bad as usual.
2. didn't worry about food almost at all. i felt just fine waiting for hunger pangs, which i usually don't experience because i feel the need to eat in order to maintain an energy level.
3. operated slow and steady, mentally. i had really good focus that only seemed to waver toward the end of work. usually it's up and down all day.
4. looked drier in mirror. more veins on abs than usual.

cephissus

• Getbig V
« Reply #3097 on: August 07, 2018, 02:11:25 PM »
Day 4: 5 mile run was not bad. Same as my last run, didn't get as much of a "high" during but also not as much of a "low" afterward.

Felt hungrier than yesterday (not tracking cals), but, again, I didn't feel the need to eat. I feel less rushed and worried about time. I noticed this both while working and stretching.

Marty Champions

• Getbig V
« Reply #3098 on: August 09, 2018, 06:02:23 AM »
i have done a high fruit juice low fat diet

but its not as good as a high fruit juice moderate fat

fat consumption helps

coffe consumption really helps but gave me bad gingervitus
A

Powerlift66

• Getbig V