Author Topic: Celtics vs Lakers  (Read 16089 times)

body88

Re: Celtics vs Lakers
« Reply #50 on: June 06, 2010, 07:56:32 PM »

This brouhaha is silly.  I heard a reporter say the Celtics have watched Pau's comments twice and will watch it again before game 2.   ::)

Gasol's assessment of KG on mark
Celtics had better hope Garnett shows more going forward
By Peter May
Special to ESPNBoston.com

LOS ANGELES -- They were utterly benign remarks. They were honest, thoughtful, articulate, measured and, most of all, accurate. Pau Gasol said Kevin Garnett has lost some of his explosiveness. Gasol also said that everyone slows down over time. Gasol also praised Garnett, calling him "a terrific player, a terrific competitor."

That constitutes trash talk/bulletin board material now?

Apparently it does, at least in the small but active brains of some media members who tried to get Garnett to respond to Gasol's supposed "inflammatory" comments on Friday. Garnett said he was "not going to get caught up with Pau talking about whatever. I'm not going to play those games. I'm going to stick to my guns and not take any of this [expletive] that's going on. You know what I mean?"

Here's what got everyone's blood boiling, figuratively. Gasol was asked how much Garnett's game has changed over the years.

"On Kevin's part, he's lost a little of his explosiveness," Gasol said. "He's more of a jump shooter now, you could say, comes off the lane. Before, he had a really, really quick first step and was getting to the lane and was more aggressive then. Time passes and we all suffer it one way or another, but he is still a terrific player, a terrific competitor and he's going to bring everything he's got. You can count on that."

Not quite the same thing as Cedric Maxwell mocking Bernard King in 1984, adding that in no way was "the b---- going to score 40 on me." But in the politically correct era in which we live, an honest assessment of an opponent, warts and all, amounts to calumny or slander.

What made Gasol/Garnett a storyline after Game 1 was the former's total dominance of the latter. Gasol was fluid, active and aggressive, the unquestioned star of the game, with 23 points, 14 rebounds and three blocked shots in the Lakers' 102-89 whuppin' of the Celtics on Thursday night.

Garnett? He was Mikki Moore. Through three quarters, the 6-foot-11 Garnett had one rebound. One. He finished with four, but two of those were off his own misses, one of which was an uncontested dunk/layup that he bungled. He looked like the Kevin Garnett we saw a lot of in the regular season, the one who got faked out by Ersan Ilyasova or beaten off the dribble by Andray Blatche. He looked nothing like the Kevin Garnett who averaged 19 points and 8 rebounds against the Cavaliers in the Eastern Conference semifinals.

The big unknown -- and for the Celtics, it is a big unknown -- is whether the Game 1 Garnett is, for whatever reason, the real Garnett. If it is, the Celtics are doomed. He really didn't have a great series in the conference finals against Orlando -- 14 points and 12 rebounds in the Game 4 loss was his high point -- and he was, like many of his teammates, awful in Game 1 against L.A.

More on Celtics-Lakers

But to hear the talk Friday, both sides expect the terrifying, menacing, lane-clogging, constantly talking and more effective Garnett to make his NBA Finals debut in Game 2.

He had better.

There's no question as to the will. The question is what he has left to give.

"I expect him and the whole team to be more aggressive," Gasol said. "And with a sense of urgency, understanding the importance of Game 2. But I expect us to be more aggressive and be ready for the type of intensity they might bring."

Said Garnett, "I've got to be in control, be more aggressive. What I do well is make plays for other guys, bring a sense of making sure guys are communicating defensively, bringing a solid presence to that end, and I did none of those things [in Game 1]."

In the aftermath of the opener, Garnett said he played "like horse-[bleep]." He was not a happy man. When asked if Garnett would even talk to the media after Game 1, a Celtics public relations official said, "I don't know. When he's like that, I don't go near him."

Doc Rivers, the Celtics' head coach, said he thought Garnett was too "hyped up" for the series opener and wasn't able to slow himself down and get any kind of rhythm or tempo. But Rivers also acknowledged the obvious. His most important player stunk.

"He didn't have a great game," Rivers said of Garnett. "But he's fine healthwise and all that. With our team, whenever we don't play well, it always comes down to either health or age. It's usually we just don't play well. I thought it was more of that.

"He had one of those nights," Rivers added. "We all have them. We're just not used to seeing him have them unless there's something wrong. But he's fine. I can guarantee you that."

He just can't do the things he used to do when he was younger, quicker and more agile. That's nature. The Celtics can only hope he is able to do what he did two weeks ago against the Cavaliers. They can live with Kobe Bryant getting 30. They cannot live with Gasol overpowering their best defensive player and turning him into a cipher.

Longtime Celtics reporter Peter May is a contributor to ESPNBoston.com.

http://sports.espn.go.com/boston/columns/story?columnist=may_peter&id=5253411
Of course they used it as motivation.  I heard what Gasol said, and while there is some truth to it, why air it our in the public?

I'm really happy he did it  :)

body88

« Reply #51 on: June 06, 2010, 08:00:33 PM »
1-1

Thats more like the Celtics we've been seeing all playoffs  : - )

Allen went off to score an NBA record 8 3's, and Rondo played great with a triple double. I think the Lakers will continue to have trouble containing Boston as this series goes on. Allen was not playing like he is now the first time these teams met, and it's only a matter of time until Peirce has a big game.  I also think the Celtics bench will become more valuable each game.

As mentioned, 1-1 going to Boston...I think Boston takes 2-3 there and wins it in LA.

Great Game.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
  • I am. The most interesting man in the world. (Not)
« Reply #52 on: June 06, 2010, 08:08:35 PM »
Of course they used it as motivation.  I heard what Gasol said, and while there is some truth to it, why air it our in the public?

I'm really happy he did it  :)

If they need that kind of nonsense to get motivated they're in a lot of trouble.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #53 on: June 06, 2010, 08:13:17 PM »
Definitely a great game.  Boston needed an NBA record 8 threes to win.  They got nothing from anyone else other than Rondo, who played a terrific game. 

Pau has been kicking KG's butt.  Turned him into the invisible man.  So much for the "bulletin board" material firing KG up.

Bynum dominated Perkins.  Kobe was hounded by foul trouble. 

The refs were horrible, on both sides.  Terrible calls.

Artest did another great job containing Pierce. 

I think LA wins two out of three in Boston. 

body88

« Reply #54 on: June 06, 2010, 08:20:20 PM »
If they need that kind of nonsense to get motivated they're in a lot of trouble.

Who says they need "nonsense" to get motivated? They have plenty of motivation, as evidenced in their impressive playoff run and their 10 point road win tonight.

My point: Why say something like that in public and give a team more motivation? If roles were reversed, the LA media would be running with it. Imagine if Kobe was a little slower and Rondo came out and dissed him (between the lines) in the media?

We all know KG is on the back nine, and we also know that pro athletes don't say things like the Lama did in the media.

I think it's comical, because KG is a hall of famer...he ate Lama's lunch two years ago, and now that KG is not the player he used to be, Lama is talking... In his prime, KG would eat Gasol alive and everyone knows it.

body88

« Reply #55 on: June 06, 2010, 08:24:43 PM »

Definitely a great game.  Boston needed an NBA record 8 threes to win.  They got nothing from anyone else other than Rondo, who played a terrific game. 

Pau has been kicking KG's butt.  Turned him into the invisible man.  So much for the "bulletin board" material firing KG up.

Bynum dominated Perkins.  Kobe was hounded by foul trouble. 

The refs were horrible, on both sides.  Terrible calls.

Artest did another great job containing Pierce. 

I think LA wins two out of three in Boston. 

Sheesh, it's amazing the Laker's lost by 10 points considering how all their players dominated Boston's, the refs stink, and the Celtic's needed record setting performances to win.

All year the Celtics have had different players step up each game. Tonight it was Ray, next game it will be someone else. What you fail to realize, is what Ray did tonight (that propelled the Celtics to a win) is what different guys have been doing in their own way over the whole playoffs. Rondo had a triple double tonight, also.

Artest is not going to be able to contain Paul for this whole series and KG will have at least a good game. The Celtics have a lot of ways they can hurt the Lakers. It's not even close to as cut and dry as you're making it seem.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #56 on: June 06, 2010, 08:26:35 PM »
Who says they need "nonsense" to get motivated? They have plenty of motivation, as evidenced in their impressive playoff run and their 10 point road win tonight.

My point: Why say something like that in public and give a team more motivation? If roles were reversed, the LA media would be running with it. Imagine if Kobe was a little slower and Rondo came out and dissed him (between the lines) in the media?

We all know KG is on the back nine, and we also know that pro athletes don't say things like the Lama did in the media.

I think it's comical, because KG is a hall of famer...he ate Lama's lunch two years ago, and now that KG is not the player he used to be, Lama is talking... In his prime, KG would eat Gasol alive and everyone knows it.

Here is what he said:

On Kevin's part, he's lost a little of his explosiveness," Gasol said. "He's more of a jump shooter now, you could say, comes off the lane. Before, he had a really, really quick first step and was getting to the lane and was more aggressive then. Time passes and we all suffer it one way or another, but he is still a terrific player, a terrific competitor and he's going to bring everything he's got. You can count on that."

You call that a dis?  Absurd.  And he was absolutely correct.  How did KG respond?  Six points, 4 rebounds, 6 assists, 0 steals, 0 blocks.  Pau had 25 points, 8 rebounds, 3 assists, 1 steal, and 6 blocks.  Kicked his butt.  

KG is past his prime, but still a great player.  That's all Pau said.  And it's true.  

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #57 on: June 06, 2010, 08:30:01 PM »

Sheesh, it's amazing the Laker's lost by 10 points considering how all their players dominated Boston's, the refs stink, and the Celtic's needed record setting performances to win.

Tell me about.  A fluke if you ask me, because they're not going to win the series by getting once in a lifetime shooting performances.  

A ten point loss?  lol.  Oh c'mon.  Anyone who watched the game knows it went down to the wire.  No realistic fan on either side was comfortable till less than 2 minutes to play.  And I watched the game with a Laker hater who got very quiet till then.    :)

And I said the refs stunk on both sides.  If you didn't see horrible calls on both sides then we must have watched a different game.  

body88

« Reply #58 on: June 06, 2010, 08:33:19 PM »
Tell me about.  A fluke if you ask me, because they're not going to win the series by getting once in a lifetime shooting performances. 

A ten point loss?  lol.  Oh c'mon.  Anyone who watched the game knows it went down to the wire.  No realistic fan on either side was comfortable till less than 2 minutes to play.  And I the game with a Laker hater who got very quiet till then.    :)

And I said the refs stunk on both sides.  If you didn't see horrible calls on both sides then we must have watched a different game. 

Which at worst makes it a close game...not this lakers domination you are claiming.

You didn't even mention Rondo having a triple double or comment on his play. Nor did you mention Lakers such are Farmar being exposed.

Kobe was in foul trouble, because he was fouling people.

Did you mention the poor officiating in the Lakers win? You might have..I can't remember.

body88

« Reply #59 on: June 06, 2010, 08:37:08 PM »
Here is what he said:

On Kevin's part, he's lost a little of his explosiveness," Gasol said. "He's more of a jump shooter now, you could say, comes off the lane. Before, he had a really, really quick first step and was getting to the lane and was more aggressive then. Time passes and we all suffer it one way or another, but he is still a terrific player, a terrific competitor and he's going to bring everything he's got. You can count on that."

You call that a dis?  Absurd.  And he was absolutely correct.  How did KG respond?  Six points, 4 rebounds, 6 assists, 0 steals, 0 blocks.  Pau had 25 points, 8 rebounds, 3 assists, 1 steal, and 6 blocks.  Kicked his butt. 

KG is past his prime, but still a great player.  That's all Pau said.  And it's true. 

I listened to it live (it's worse live) and Gasol confirms that KG has lost explosiveness and also confirms that he is not the player that he used to be. Athletes just don't say things like that, true or not. As mentioned, if this was Kobe, and Rondo said something like that, you'd think differently and we all know it.

It's the classic BUT statement. Ex: I'm not calling (insert girls name a slut), BUT she sees a lot of guys and really gets around (you just called her a slut), BUT she is a really good person and I love her to death and she had a great heart (you just tried to smooth over the fact that you called this girl a slut indirectly). Typical of a flopping euro  ;)

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #60 on: June 06, 2010, 08:38:03 PM »

Which at worst makes it a close game...not this lakers domination you are claiming.

You didn't even mention Rondo having a triple double or comment on his play. Nor did you mention Lakers such are Farmar being exposed.

Kobe was in foul trouble, because he was fouling people.

Did you mention the poor officiating in the Lakers win? You might have..I can't remember.

Geeze Louise body.  Stop being such a homer.  I did not say the Lakers dominated the Celtics.  I pointed out some match up facts.  Go look at the box score.  

Here is what I said about Rondo:

They got nothing from anyone else other than Rondo, who played a terrific game.  

Kobe fouling people?  lol.  Or not.  I saw phantom calls on both teams.  Even the Laker hater watching the game with me agreed.  

I complain about horrible refs when I see horrible refs.  

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #61 on: June 06, 2010, 08:39:59 PM »
I listened to it live and Gasol confirms that KG has lost explosiveness and also confirms he is not the player he used to be. Athletes just don't say things like that, true or not. As mentioned, if this was Kobe, and Rondo said something like that, you'd think differently and we all know it.

It's the classic BUT statement. Ex: I'm not calling (inset girls name a slut), BUT she sees a lot of guys and really gets around, BUT she is a really good person and I love her to death and she had a great heart. Typical of a flopping euro.

KG's performance is a moot point, because the Celtics one and they are going back to Boston with a lot of confidence.

I disagree.  I watched his comments too.  Totally innocuous.  Classic case of protesting too much.

I only pointed out KG's performance to show that what Pau said is the truth.  Even the Celtics beat writer whose article I posted agrees.   

body88

« Reply #62 on: June 06, 2010, 08:42:50 PM »
I disagree.  I watched his comments too.  Totally innocuous.  Classic case of protesting too much.

I only pointed out KG's performance to show that what Pau said is the truth.  Even the Celtics beat writer whose article I posted agrees.   

That's ok. I respect your opinion.

Did you listen to it live? To me it sounded a little worse live.

Great game...heading to bed, I'll debate this more with you tommorow!

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #63 on: June 06, 2010, 08:45:35 PM »
That's ok. I respect your opinion.

Did you listen to it live? To me it sounded a little worse live.

Great game...heading to bed, I'll debate this more with you tommorow!

I respect your opinion too. 

Yes I listened to it live.  All he did was respond to a question.  Pau doesn't talk trash.  He's a classy player.  The media took his comments and asked KG to respond to Pau's "inflammatory" comments.   ::) 

Definitely a great game.  Gotta take my son to the gym to work out his disappointment.  He takes this stuff way too seriously.   :)

regmac

• Getbig V
« Reply #64 on: June 07, 2010, 11:51:28 AM »
Refs    >:(   the only guys who can stop Kobe!
((-::

ATHEIST

• Getbig IV
« Reply #65 on: June 07, 2010, 12:17:07 PM »
I was surprised really that Boston won game 2, by the way they were dominated in game 1. That being said, they cant rely on winning games in a similar fashion as they did. Ray isnt going to hit 8 three pointers a game, and you cant count on Rondo averaging a triple double, even if he does if Pierce, KG and the bench dont show up they wont win the seires. Boston needs to win this game on the inside, I hate to say it but I think KG is done. Pierce hasnt shown up in this series yet, he is getting his shots off but their just off the mark, perhaps Artest is in his head?
Baby Davis for all his hustle needs to frickin learn to pump fake and draw the foul! and for crying out loud can Boston rebound with both hands instead of just batting the ball out and praying one of their guys picks it up? the anxiety I get from this series is killing me. I thought Boston would dominate inside but they are not, I knew Pau was good but they are making him look like the best center in the league, perhaps he is. Ray was the man though, I hope they keep him and they better keep Pierce. Would be beautiful to see them win another ring..and get Bosh or that guy from the Knicks. Boston please win. Kobe always scares me.

Mr Nobody

• Getbig V
  • Falcon gives us new knowledge every single day.
« Reply #66 on: June 07, 2010, 12:32:52 PM »
Refs    >:(   the only guys who can stop Kobe!
Its curtains reg rondo crushed the lakers last night at home

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #67 on: June 07, 2010, 12:41:29 PM »
I was surprised really that Boston won game 2, by the way they were dominated in game 1. That being said, they cant rely on winning games in a similar fashion as they did. Ray isnt going to hit 8 three pointers a game, and you cant count on Rondo averaging a triple double, even if he does if Pierce, KG and the bench dont show up they wont win the seires. Boston needs to win this game on the inside, I hate to say it but I think KG is done. Pierce hasnt shown up in this series yet, he is getting his shots off but their just off the mark, perhaps Artest is in his head?
Baby Davis for all his hustle needs to frickin learn to pump fake and draw the foul! and for crying out loud can Boston rebound with both hands instead of just batting the ball out and praying one of their guys picks it up? the anxiety I get from this series is killing me. I thought Boston would dominate inside but they are not, I knew Pau was good but they are making him look like the best center in the league, perhaps he is. Ray was the man though, I hope they keep him and they better keep Pierce. Would be beautiful to see them win another ring..and get Bosh or that guy from the Knicks. Boston please win. Kobe always scares me.

For the most part, this is how I saw the game too. 

Just to clarify, Pau is a 4.  He plays the 5 when Odom comes in for Bynum, but Bynum played 39 minutes on Sunday.   :o

ATHEIST

• Getbig IV
« Reply #68 on: June 07, 2010, 01:00:16 PM »

ah yes i keep forgetting that Pau is a 4. another note to worry me about is after all Ray Allen's 3 pointers in the 1st half, the Celts were only up by 6. Celts cant expect Kobe to be in foul trouble like he was this past game. KG had 4 points? I can see if he was blocking shots and getting boards but he isnt! Celts HAVE to win 2 out of 3 in Boston. Game 3 is on Tues, Celts get back to Boston today, the short rest time favors the younger team..

Beach I get the feeling you like how this series is being played.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #69 on: June 07, 2010, 01:40:27 PM »

ah yes i keep forgetting that Pau is a 4. another note to worry me about is after all Ray Allen's 3 pointers in the 1st half, the Celts were only up by 6. Celts cant expect Kobe to be in foul trouble like he was this past game. KG had 4 points? I can see if he was blocking shots and getting boards but he isnt! Celts HAVE to win 2 out of 3 in Boston. Game 3 is on Tues, Celts get back to Boston today, the short rest time favors the younger team..

Beach I get the feeling you like how this series is being played.

Good observation about the game.  I said the same thing at the half.  Ray Allen hit seven threes in the first half.  He hit eight for the game and LA still took a three point lead late in the game. 

Yes, I do like how the series is being played.  :)  I like the Lakers to win the series, but they are pretty evenly matched IMO.  Boston has a very good team.  They can definitely win the series.  But if the rest of the series plays out the way we've seen the first two games, I think LA will win 2 out of 3 in Boston and close out Boston in LA. 

body88

« Reply #70 on: June 07, 2010, 01:57:08 PM »
The reason Ray was able top hit so many shots was because the of the lakers inability to contain Rondo. Kobe can contain Rondo, but then that allows Allen to do damage, because the Lakers don't have anyone who can shut him down if Kobe is on Rondo. Not to mention the Lakers didn't have to deal with a hot Ray Allen last time these two teams met in the finals. Now they do.

You are both expecting Peirce do continue to have little impact. As good as Artest is on Peirce, it might all be negated by the horrible and stupid shots that he takes. How about that 24 second three pointer he missed last night with about a min left and his team down by 7 points. So yes, Artest can contain Peirce, but he also is a liability when he had the ball and I fully expect Peirce to put together at least a few good games against him.

The Celtics will not have to rely on Ray Allen to win games, because if you watched them play this year, there has never been a guy who lead the team in scoring over two consecutive games. Guys seem to step up, and it's only a matter of time before three of them are on during the same time.

You can argue that a Celtics implosion allowed the Lakers back in that game. You act as if the Celtics were playing incredable and the Lakers bounded back in dramatic fashion. I can name 5 stupid turnovers by bench idiots off the top of my head. There will be games when the Celtics avoid stupid turnovers and have focus start to finish. You could also argue that the Lakers gave the Celtics all t hey had, but still came up short.

If the Lakers cant find an answer for Rondo, they are in big trouble.

Mr Nobody

• Getbig V
« Reply #71 on: June 07, 2010, 02:12:05 PM »
The reason Ray was able top hit so many shots was because the of the lakers inability to contain Rondo. Kobe can contain Rondo, but then that allows Allen to do damage, because the Lakers don't have anyone who can shut him down if Kobe is on Rondo. Not to mention the Lakers didn't have to deal with a hot Ray Allen last time these two teams met in the finals. Now they do.

You are both expecting Peirce do continue to have little impact. As good as Artest is on Peirce, it might all be negated by the horrible and stupid shots that he takes. How about that 24 second three pointer he missed last night with about a min left and his team down by 7 points. So yes, Artest can contain Peirce, but he also is a liability when he had the ball and I fully expect Peirce to put together at least a few good games against him.

The Celtics will not have to really on Ray Allen to win games, because if you watched them play this year, there has never been a guy who lead the team in scoring over two consecutive games. Guys seem to step up, and it's only a matter of time before three of them are on during the same time.

You can argue that a Celtics implosion allowed the Lakers back in that game. You act as if the Celtics were playing incredable and the Lakers bounded back in dramatic fashion. I can name 5 stupid turnovers by bench idiots off the top of my head. There will be games when the Celtics avoid stupid turnovers and have focus start to finish. You could also argue that the Lakers gave the Celtics all t hey had, but still came up short.

If the Lakers cant find an answer for Rondo, they are in big trouble.

That last statement is very true.

body88

« Reply #72 on: June 07, 2010, 02:21:27 PM »
That last statement is very true.

Frankly, they have the answer for Rondo. His name is Kobe Bryant. Problem is, that leaves bench scrubs on Allen, and as showcased last night, Allen starts torching them when he had anyone other than Kobe on him.

Allen had a historic night, and he won't blow up like that again. That said, the shots Allen had were WIDE OPEN EASY looks and he is going to hit a large percentage of those whether he is on fire or not.

Mr Nobody

• Getbig V
« Reply #73 on: June 07, 2010, 02:23:19 PM »
Frankly, they have the answer for Rondo. His name is Kobe Bryant. Problem is, that leaves bench scrubs on Allen, and as showcased last night, Allen starts torching them when he had anyone other than Kobe on him.

Allen had a historic night, and he won't blow up like that again. That said, the shots Allen had were WIDE OPEN EASY looks and he is going to hit a large percentage of those whether he is on fire or not.
You cant leave Allen open so it seems there are not enough good Lakers to cover on D.

body88

« Reply #74 on: June 07, 2010, 02:27:57 PM »
You cant leave Allen open so it seems there are not enough good Lakers to cover on D.

Which is the point I was trying to make at the start of the series.

Odem is not a bench player. He's a bench player who plays starter minutes and is very up and down. He can kill you or do nothing. He did nothing last night, and outside Odem, the Lakers bench does not match up well with the Celtics. Outside Odem, the Lakers bench is a liability. Davis is better than any Lakers bench player, and if bench players are forced to play extended minutes because Kobe has to focus on Rondo....ruh ro.

Rondo is the key. If he plays well the Lakers are in trouble. Especially with this thing going back to Boston 1-1.