Author Topic: broken wrist. routine for the next 6 weeks. help  (Read 8214 times)

herecticx

• Getbig I
broken wrist. routine for the next 6 weeks. help
« on: February 12, 2013, 12:27:32 AM »

Hey guys broke my right wrist over the weekend doing something stupid.

my right wrist will be in a cast for 6 weeks.. broke my ulna. How can i prevent atrophy on that side of my body?

Should i train the other side? (ie. single arm rows, single arm chest press, etc.)
Will this lead to a muscular imbalance?

I will be hitting legs and abs twice a week.

Calories will be at maintanance. I want to prevent as much muscle loss as possible.

Montague

• Getbig V
  • The black degelation does not know this nig - V.G.
Re: broken wrist. routine for the next 6 weeks. help
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2013, 01:41:50 AM »
My best friend had a bone shattered in his hand/wrist about ten years ago. Unfortunately, he had to suck it up and take time off, as there simply aren't too many ways to safely train around an injury like that until it has properly healed.

My friend was natural, carried a good bit of muscle, and was about 23 at the time. He kept his diet good, and hit legs and cardio harder. Honestly, he lost barely (if any) upper body size during that time.

The setback probably seems devastating to you now, but healing completely should be your primary concern. Don't rush your recovery by doing something that will hinder it. You obviously won't gain new upper body size over the next month and a half, but anything you lose will probably be negligible at worst. And, you may be surprised at how quickly you rebound!

In the meantime, this will be a good chance to give those muscles a rest, and you may find they have a more sensitive response when you start up again.

Good luck with your recovery and future progress!

herecticx

• Getbig I
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2013, 02:36:21 AM »
thank you for your reply.

Is it worth training my uninjured side?

It just seems like a waste to let it waste away,

WOOO

• Getbig V
  • Fuck the mods
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2013, 03:18:40 AM »
thank you for your reply.

Is it worth training my uninjured side?

It just seems like a waste to let it waste away,

not in my opinion... that would increase the impact of the muscle loss on the side you are not working...

eat well, sleep well and do cardio... by the time you heal your body will be in great condition to hit the gym again

herecticx

• Getbig I
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2013, 05:02:51 AM »

not in my opinion... that would increase the impact of the muscle loss on the side you are not working...

How so?

Donny

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • getbig Zen Master
« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2013, 05:19:05 AM »
My best friend had a bone shattered in his hand/wrist about ten years ago. Unfortunately, he had to suck it up and take time off, as there simply aren't too many ways to safely train around an injury like that until it has properly healed.

My friend was natural, carried a good bit of muscle, and was about 23 at the time. He kept his diet good, and hit legs and cardio harder. Honestly, he lost barely (if any) upper body size during that time.

The setback probably seems devastating to you now, but healing completely should be your primary concern. Don't rush your recovery by doing something that will hinder it. You obviously won't gain new upper body size over the next month and a half, but anything you lose will probably be negligible at worst. And, you may be surprised at how quickly you rebound!

In the meantime, this will be a good chance to give those muscles a rest, and you may find they have a more sensitive response when you start up again.

Good luck with your recovery and future progress!
yes i agree with Monty and Wooo...itīs a small set back that in some weeks will be over. What you do now will affect your FUTURE training...REST it and do cardio like Monty said.

herecticx

• Getbig I
« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2013, 05:24:44 AM »
I need to know if i should train my uninjured side.

Im trying to prevent as much muscle loss as possible

scottt

• Getbig III
« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2013, 07:16:29 AM »
You could try the isolator that Dana linn Baily uses and do pullovers If your gym has the correct type of machine.

jpm101

• Getbig IV
« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2013, 09:33:53 AM »
If there is a Nautilus type gym around you, or if your gym has a pullover type machine where the elbows are placed on pads, might try that. Also Pec decks or shoulder type machines (lateral motion), where the elbows are the main focus of moving the resistance.  Place a BB (off a rack, usually) in the bend of the arm, little higher than 90 degrees, and do front raises for the anterior delts.

If you have a good training partner, than he can apply resistance for some of the above mentioned exercises. Even arm movements. Just have to plan out a reasonable workout plan for you. Let your imagination find inventive ways to train. The wrist is undergoing a setting process, so no pulls or pushes, of course.

You should not lose much in muscle mass in 6 weeks, but some. Taking time away from  normal training, the body begins to lose it's former higher state of fitness usually within 2-3 weeks, depending on the individual. I noticed that BB'ers who only train for the extreme pump, tend to lose muscle size faster.....just my personal view. While BB'ers who train heavier seems to retain most of their size.  Also never want to work one side of the body while the other side heals....not the best of ideas. Good Luck.
F

Donny

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • getbig Zen Master
« Reply #9 on: February 12, 2013, 09:47:04 AM »
You could try the isolator that Dana linn Baily uses and do pullovers If your gym has the correct type of machine.
good advice scottt.

herecticx

• Getbig I
« Reply #10 on: February 13, 2013, 02:05:36 AM »
thank you for the advice guys. i have ordered a set of isolators