Author Topic: Traps and upper back thickness  (Read 1624 times)

Cap

• Getbig V
  • Trueprotein.com 5% discount code= CSP111
Traps and upper back thickness
« on: December 12, 2006, 03:36:34 PM »
I am trying to bulk up my traps and upper back.  I am currently working on them twice a week doing slow rep Hammer strength shrugs for 5 sets.  Any advice you guys can give.  I do them Dorian style with the head down slightly bent forward.
Squishy face retard

Jr. Yates

• Getbig V
Re: Traps and upper back thickness
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2006, 05:02:38 PM »
I found Overhand barbell rows or over hand cable rows helped....My traps started to grow when i lightened the weight and slowed the reps down, and make sure to keep your chin tucked into your chest. Also good form on front pulldowns. Patience and dedication and you'll see improments fast.
bodybuildersreality.com

Saskbb

• Competitors II
  • Getbig II
  • Getbig!
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2006, 05:06:15 PM »
I am trying to bulk up my traps and upper back.  I am currently working on them twice a week doing slow rep Hammer strength shrugs for 5 sets.  Any advice you guys can give.  I do them Dorian style with the head down slightly bent forward.

I like heavy one arm rows for that part of my back and traps!

Cap

• Getbig V
  • Trueprotein.com 5% discount code= CSP111
« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2006, 05:06:40 PM »
I found Overhand barbell rows or over hand cable rows helped....My traps started to grow when i lightened the weight and slowed the reps down, and make sure to keep your chin tucked into your chest. Also good form on front pulldowns. Patience and dedication and you'll see improments fast.
Yea.  I can throw up 365 on shrugs but I did 3 plates a side on the hammer shrugs and did slow reps and I am feeling it now.
Squishy face retard

Jr. Yates

• Getbig V
« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2006, 05:10:06 PM »
Yea.  I can throw up 365 on shrugs but I did 3 plates a side on the hammer shrugs and did slow reps and I am feeling it now.
yeah, I think the trick is get your reps especially with back. Only on deads will i go with reps lower than 6.
bodybuildersreality.com

Jeff Miller

• Getbig V
« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2006, 05:06:23 AM »
I find heavy, HEAVY shrugs work the best.  But you have to be able to hold it for a second or 2.  Power shrugs work the best for me, because I can get that boost up to the contracted position, hold it, then slowly return it.  Also seems to be easier on my back.
ChuckNorrisFearsMe

greg2112

• Getbig II
  • Getbig!
« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2006, 06:09:26 AM »
For me personally, when I put less emphasis on shrugs and started focusing on clean and presses, push-press, cleans, snatches, high pulls, deadlifts and rack pull's when my traps, mid back and shoulder girdle grew!

thewickedtruth

• Getbig V
« Reply #7 on: December 13, 2006, 06:24:00 AM »
Rack deads and upright cable rows with a rope handle have worked out very well for my traps and shoulders in general.

dontknowit

• Getbig III
  • Masino's clit is kidnapped
« Reply #8 on: December 14, 2006, 04:28:45 AM »
(s)traps.

Buy them,
best investment you can make. Your back/traps can easily handle two/three times your weight. Your hands just can't handle the weight.

natural al

• Getbig V
  • like it or don't, learn to live with it..whooooooo
« Reply #9 on: December 14, 2006, 04:40:13 AM »
rack deads.  Set the pins in a power rack at or just below knee level, keep your back arched and at the top shrug the BB up and back, control the negative.  You can work up to some pretty massive poundages but once your lower back starts to round you're done.

regular deads are great too.
nasser=piece of shit

JasonH

• Getbig V
« Reply #10 on: December 14, 2006, 04:48:14 AM »
Best exercise I've found for the traps is definitely barbell shrugs from the power-rack.

However, I used to do them incorrectly using a grip which was only about 18 inches apart on the bar.

You need to use a grip (overhand) which is slightly wider than shoulder width and you'll see a massive difference in results - you can still use the same amount of weight. Keep a rep-range of 12-15.

For upper back, heavy T-Bar rows are ideal and also heavy cable rows using a narrow grip (slightly less than shoulder width) are very good. Also incorporate some chins and very-close-grip pulldowns and this will blow out your lats.

Good luck.