Author Topic: So i'm sitting here with a dying kitten...  (Read 3416 times)

TrapsMcLats

• Getbig IV
  • Lift Heavy. Lift Hard.
So i'm sitting here with a dying kitten...
« on: August 07, 2007, 04:59:05 PM »
...trying to keep it awake and warm, but not warm to the point where it falls asleep, cuz once they sleep, they... SLEEP ya know.  All but this one and another one from this litter have died.  they say its a "bad litter" and not to feel bad if it dies, but that really does't make me feel any better.  This litter was dumped in the SPCA parking lot last week.  We took them home and then back the next day we took a couple, some other people took a couple, another couple employees took some, just to foster them all.  well, weve got the only two live ones, one is great, fat, happy and cute as all hell like a 2 1/2 week old kitten should be, while this one looks awful, is pretty much incapacitated and lying on its side, breathing heavily and probably entering the final hour of its life.  Yeah, that spay and neuter bill is the way to go, do NOT listen to people like Flower, however passionate and right on many points she is, she doesn't see this side of things as often as i do.

Max_Rep

• Max Rep
  • Getbig IV
  • It’s about how hard you can GET hit...
Re: So i'm sitting here with a dying kitten...
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2007, 05:50:57 PM »
...trying to keep it awake and warm, but not warm to the point where it falls asleep, cuz once they sleep, they... SLEEP ya know.  All but this one and another one from this litter have died.  they say its a "bad litter" and not to feel bad if it dies, but that really does't make me feel any better.  This litter was dumped in the SPCA parking lot last week.  We took them home and then back the next day we took a couple, some other people took a couple, another couple employees took some, just to foster them all.  well, weve got the only two live ones, one is great, fat, happy and cute as all hell like a 2 1/2 week old kitten should be, while this one looks awful, is pretty much incapacitated and lying on its side, breathing heavily and probably entering the final hour of its life.  Yeah, that spay and neuter bill is the way to go, do NOT listen to people like Flower, however passionate and right on many points she is, she doesn't see this side of things as often as i do.

Traps... I also see some heartbreaking things. I've rescued many kitten litters but never had any die. That must be impossible to watch. Thanks for giving them a chance.

Flower contributes alot.
and keep moving!

TrapsMcLats

• Getbig IV
  • Lift Heavy. Lift Hard.
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2007, 06:04:14 PM »
Oh i know she contributes a lot, and i agree with most everything she says, she just doesn't get to see this perspective as often as i do.  I cant fault her for wanting more responsibility and accountability amongst breeders and the pet indunstry, shes 100% correct in that regard.  Its just this side of things that really makes it evident how much a crisis we have on our hands and that something will eventually need to be done.

TrapsMcLats

• Getbig IV
  • Lift Heavy. Lift Hard.
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2007, 07:14:14 PM »
It died.  Oh well, at least one of them is thriving, hopefuly we'll find it a good home...

Princess L

• Getbig V
  • I stop for turtles
:

Vet

• Getbig IV
  • Immortal
« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2007, 10:53:21 PM »
It died.  Oh well, at least one of them is thriving, hopefuly we'll find it a good home...

Test it for feline leukemia first.   In the midwest, where I did most of my humanesociety work, a kitten like what you described is almost always FeLV positive. 

Max_Rep

• Max Rep
  • Getbig IV
  • It’s about how hard you can GET hit...
« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2007, 01:51:23 AM »

she just doesn't get to see this perspective as often as i do. 

Sorry about the kitten dying. Speak more on your experiences and perspective. I see quite a bit myself. Are you in rescue? Do you practice TNR?
and keep moving!

~flower~

• Getbig IV
  • D/s
« Reply #7 on: August 08, 2007, 04:21:05 AM »
Yeah, that spay and neuter bill is the way to go, do NOT listen to people like Flower, however passionate and right on many points she is, she doesn't see this side of things as often as i do.

No, I don't see that side like you do, but I did research and saw the WHOLE PICTURE of that bill.  I saw what happened in places that tried that and the lives that WERE NOT SAVED and the COSTS that went up.  Then I saw where education and affordable altering options were pushed, and saw that was WORKING.  I read about the affects of early altering on dogs, especially the giant breeds, and the health and temperament problems that could result. I read how PUPPYMILLS would be exempt and RESPONSIBLE breeders would find it difficult to breed and PUPPYMILLS could keep churning out dogs not caring for health, temperament, or where they ended up.   I read how the statistics were inflated and in some cases LIES.  Mandatory altering does nothing to help stop shelter dumps of older animals (meaning anything older than a puppy and that had a home, the majority of shelter animals).  It did NOTHING for the feral cats or the people that try and help them and control their population. 

Discourage RESPONSIBLE BREEDERS and opening the door wide open for PUPPYMILLS is going to encourage impulse buys and then the dumping of the dog later on, and still  BYB's will be out there on the sly breeding dogs, neither of whom cares about the health and temperament of the dogs, nor where they end up as long as they make money. Which they will make ALOT more of if this goes in affect. 

People see "Mandatory Altering, save lives" and they go no further and jump on it.   They don't find out the WHOLE AFFECT it will have on both the animals and the people that want to raise them.

DO NOT listen to TrapsMcLats.  He is speaking only from his heart, and not with his head.   Do some research and look at the WHOLE PICTURE, go to the AB1634 thread and read the actual stastics and affects that bill would of had on pets and working dogs.  Read the whole thread:

http://www.getbig.com/boards/index.php?topic=142704.0

Spay and Neuter your pets when it is a good health decision for THEM. 

Geo

• Getbig IV
« Reply #8 on: August 08, 2007, 04:30:59 PM »
Thanks for giving them a chance.

I definetly second that traps,takes a good man to do that while alot of people probably would'nt wanna be bothered by it all.

knny187

• Getbig V
« Reply #9 on: August 09, 2007, 09:02:21 AM »
Must of been tough

very tough

coltrane

• Getbig IV
« Reply #10 on: August 10, 2007, 06:57:13 AM »
I'm definitely for a spay/neuter law, but the problem is how do you enforce it?   I think it should be mandatory to spay/neuter your pet unless granted a breeder's permit. 

Its ridiculous how people are so irresponsible as to let their pets breed numerous times, perpetuating this problem, just bc they are too lazy or stupid to spay/neuter.

temper35

• Getbig III
« Reply #11 on: August 10, 2007, 12:18:04 PM »
I'm not trying to get into a dog ethics debate here at all and I am not going to. 

edit:  had a comment about someone(cough flower cough) but retracted it.  Arguing on the internet is like the special olympics...even though I WIN I'm still retarded =P