Author Topic: This grandma wanted to see the ocean 1 last time before checking in to a hospice  (Read 4339 times)

Lustral

• Getbig V
  • FREE NOODLES
Best get grandma back to her room and empty out that piss bag before it blows.

Heartwarming, nonetheless.

Her catheter suggests otherwise

How the fuck do you guys notice this shit?

Bet you would know colour of the handkerchief!

Princess L

• Getbig V
  • I stop for turtles
I think you should be allowed die in your own home and euthanasia should be accessible when you start shitting yourself or forget your own family. I did volunteer work in nursing homes here it is fucking depressing. Some old guy must have spent ten minutes trying to stand up in the rec room with fifty other vegetables surrounding him. When he was finally stood up a filipino nurse sat him down then walked over to stop some old lady with dementia trying to wander out the exit.

Newlywed With Cancer Picks the Day She Will Die

http://abcnews.go.com/Health/wireStory/woman-cancer-plans-life-oregon-26056373

...The 29-year-old woman expects to die next month. If the brain cancer from which she suffers does not kill her in October, she plans to take advantage of Oregon's Death with Dignity Act and end her own life on the first of November.

Maynard and her husband, Dan Diaz, uprooted from Northern California and moved north because Oregon allows terminally ill patients to end their lives with lethal medications prescribed by a doctor....

:

Lustral

• Getbig V
  • FREE NOODLES

Newlywed With Cancer Picks the Day She Will Die

http://abcnews.go.com/Health/wireStory/woman-cancer-plans-life-oregon-26056373

...The 29-year-old woman expects to die next month. If the brain cancer from which she suffers does not kill her in October, she plans to take advantage of Oregon's Death with Dignity Act and end her own life on the first of November.

Maynard and her husband, Dan Diaz, uprooted from Northern California and moved north because Oregon allows terminally ill patients to end their lives with lethal medications prescribed by a doctor....

Didn't read attached article but didn't know any US State had euthansia  ??? ??? Much less Oregon.

Still. it's a shame to have to travel for what is/should be a personal decision - abortion is illegal here except in the most restrictive circumstances (rape, fatal foetal abnormalities etc don't warrant termination here) - it is unwanted stress and cost added to an already difficult experience.

The Abdominal Snoman

• Getbig V
  • DON'T BE A TRAITOR TO YOUR TRIBE
humans should be allowed that option of being put to sleep(lethal injection),they do it to dogs and cats and i love animals and im glad they do it for the suffering animals to take them out of their misery.i told my wife if i get cancer and once i hit the point where im moaning in ppain and the drugs aint helping no more i am gonna take a boat load of herion or some other opiate and check out that way,no pain at all.

For 99% of the people on earth lethal injection makes sense. The problem comes with the 1%ers who are worth mega millions/billions with family members wanting to kill them off.

FitnessFrenzy

• Getbig V
  • evolving
Everyone already knows that.  I am sure it wasn`t grandmas idea to post this picture all around like that.  (I mean she may not care, but again, I find it incredibly tacky, the attention whoring by whoever posted it)

::)

Princess L

• Getbig V
  • I stop for turtles
I think you should be allowed die in your own home

Hospice doesn't necessarily mean "going" somewhere.  Depends on a lot of factors along with personal and family wishes.

Hospice care is end-of-life care. A team of health care professionals and volunteers provides it. They give medical, psychological, and spiritual support. The goal of the care is to help people who are dying have peace, comfort, and dignity. The caregivers try to control pain and other symptoms so a person can remain as alert and comfortable as possible. Hospice programs also provide services to support a patient's family.

Usually, a hospice patient is expected to live 6 months or less. Hospice care can take place

At home
    At a hospice center
    In a hospital
    In a skilled nursing facility

NIH: National Cancer Institute
:

gracie bjj

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
id have a hard time working in hospice for the simple fact that i feel sorry for people that r sick and id prolly make friends with them and have to see them pass away,it would mess with me to much
R

Natural Man

• Getbig V
For 99% of the people on earth lethal injection makes sense. The problem comes with the 1%ers who are worth mega millions/billions with family members wanting to kill them off.
also medicating people beyond need = lots of money to be made.

Everthing live, then die, even civilizations, and even our own specie, mankind, will die.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Decline_of_the_West

BIG AL MCKECHNIE

• Getbig IV
id have a hard time working in hospice for the simple fact that i feel sorry for people that r sick and id prolly make friends with them and have to see them pass away,it would mess with me to much

One thing I've noticed as I get older and visit people who are in hospital or hospice or whatever and they are terminally ill is that they all seem to have a tranquillity and acceptance of their near death situation. It was the same with my grandparents and father and older family friends and relatives. Nature obviously prepares you for this.

When I was 13 I visited my grandpa in hospital. He had lung cancer which was terminal and he had only days left but my parents didn't tell me and I thought he was getting better. That last evening in the hospital he wanted to shake my hand before I left.
He gripped my hand, looked me in the eye and told me we would have a big party when he saw me again. I thought he meant a party the next week. In reality he meant when we saw each other again in the afterlife. He died the next morning but I realise now that he was a peace and was just wanting to make me feel better before letting go of my hand for the last time.  

Croatch

• Getbig V
  • Man up, train natural.
The important thing to note here is...how many "likes" did grandma get on her photo, before she passed on.
This is the shit in life that matters, not so much sharing that moment.  "Likes" are forever remembered. :P
N

Primemuscle

• Getbig V
I think you should be allowed die in your own home and euthanasia should be accessible when you start shitting yourself or forget your own family. I did volunteer work in nursing homes here it is fucking depressing. Some old guy must have spent ten minutes trying to stand up in the rec room with fifty other vegetables surrounding him. When he was finally stood up a filipino nurse sat him down then walked over to stop some old lady with dementia trying to wander out the exit.

Hospice does allow you to die at home if that's what you want. You'd need someone to care for you though or be able to afford private nurses. Hospice does a lot for dying patients, but there are some limits as to the services they provide. When my sister was dying and in hospice, hospice nurses visited her several times a week. Her husband took care of her the last few weeks of her life.

Primemuscle

• Getbig V
Does every little thing need to be broadcast?

This is probably not such a little thing to the grandmother. Perhaps not even for the other woman who appears to be her daughter.

Lot's of folks post family photos on FaceBook with the intention of sharing them with other family and friends. Of course there are those who copy these photos and post them on sites where they have little relevance, such as Getbig.

Primemuscle

• Getbig V
Didn't read attached article but didn't know any US State had euthansia  ??? ??? Much less Oregon.

Still. it's a shame to have to travel for what is/should be a personal decision - abortion is illegal here except in the most restrictive circumstances (rape, fatal foetal abnormalities etc don't warrant termination here) - it is unwanted stress and cost added to an already difficult experience.

Why do you post, "much less Oregon"? We are a very progressive and liberal state.

Lustral

• Getbig V
  • FREE NOODLES

Hospice doesn't necessarily mean "going" somewhere.  Depends on a lot of factors along with personal and family wishes.

Hospice care is end-of-life care. A team of health care professionals and volunteers provides it. They give medical, psychological, and spiritual support. The goal of the care is to help people who are dying have peace, comfort, and dignity. The caregivers try to control pain and other symptoms so a person can remain as alert and comfortable as possible. Hospice programs also provide services to support a patient's family.

Usually, a hospice patient is expected to live 6 months or less. Hospice care can take place

At home
    At a hospice center
    In a hospital
    In a skilled nursing facility

NIH: National Cancer Institute

Hospice does allow you to die at home if that's what you want. You'd need someone to care for you though or be able to afford private nurses. Hospice does a lot for dying patients, but there are some limits as to the services they provide. When my sister was dying and in hospice, hospice nurses visited her several times a week. Her husband took care of her the last few weeks of her life.

OK I was using it in the sense that many hospice charities here are basically places for deserted old people to die - granted in the company of loving people. My point was moreso you should be able to die in dignity and how you want (morphine od etc) when it becomes hopeless and all that lies ahead is pain and sustenance on machines.

I would get attached to old people like Gracie but vets love animals too, they just have the option to euthanise and, hard as it is, it accords with their conscience. A cat I befriended at my parents' house in the past year (he was obviously old and sickly, loved attention) wasn't around last few weeks. Turns out he had kidney problems and after dialysis it was decided he would have too much pain so was put down. It upset me cos I liked him as did my niece, but that was the most considerate option.If I could be around people dying and be the one who comforts them knowing they will have a certain and peaceful ending I would sleep at night. My mom's mom died long before I was born but couldn't even swallow painkillers due to the pain before she died - you think doctors like seeing that?

Lustral

• Getbig V
  • FREE NOODLES
Why do you post, "much less Oregon"? We are a very progressive and liberal state.

Probably had oklahoma in mind when I posted that, nothing against the beaver state!

Primemuscle

• Getbig V
OK I was using it in the sense that many hospice charities here are basically places for deserted old people to die - granted in the company of loving people. My point was moreso you should be able to die in dignity and how you want (morphine od etc) when it becomes hopeless and all that lies ahead is pain and sustenance on machines.

I would get attached to old people like Gracie but vets love animals too, they just have the option to euthanise and, hard as it is, it accords with their conscience. A cat I befriended at my parents' house in the past year (he was obviously old and sickly, loved attention) wasn't around last few weeks. Turns out he had kidney problems and after dialysis it was decided he would have too much pain so was put down. It upset me cos I liked him as did my niece, but that was the most considerate option.If I could be around people dying and be the one who comforts them knowing they will have a certain and peaceful ending I would sleep at night. My mom's mom died long before I was born but couldn't even swallow painkillers due to the pain before she died - you think doctors like seeing that?

My mom died from complications cause by longtime emphysema about 30 years ago. If there was hospice care back then, I was not aware of it. She lived with my wife and I the last three years of her life. During that time, she was hospitalized a few times in ICU. One of those times, her doctor suggested she go to a skilled nursing home. That lasted all of three days before I packed up her stuff and brought her back home. She ended up dying in the hospital the last time she was admitted.