Author Topic: forearms advice  (Read 6899 times)

bmacsys

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
Re: forearms advice
« Reply #25 on: December 08, 2005, 07:41:54 AM »
Actually in most cases it is called a spiral fracture.  The bone twists and breaks.  I put on a show here at Pearl Harbor and a brother and sister broke their arms.  I was the ref both times.  I swear to god I cannot watch armwrestling anymore.  The sound of the bone snapping is just horrible.  You can ask anyone how I just always now turn away and cover my ears.

Keith, man your crazy! You broke your arm and went back to arm wrestling when it healed? I gotta give you credit for balls. I would have quit right on the spot.
The House that Ruth built

Bear03

• Getbig IV
  • back in the swing of things
« Reply #26 on: December 08, 2005, 12:30:08 PM »
Yes when a arms breaks it is awesome.  I have broke two.  One guy is Texas I broke and then Bruce Wey at the Nationals.  He got back in time to see me win the Nationals that year andhad me sign his cast. Bruce appeared in Over The Top.  He was the guy who drank the motor oil.

That makes me feel all crawly and squeamish and stuff.  You're my hero for being such a badass.
:-)

onlyme

• Getbig V
  • Don't Fuck With Bears
« Reply #27 on: December 09, 2005, 09:36:47 AM »
Yes it makes me squemish too now.  I can't even watch a match.  At the 86 Nationals I won there was a kid who never armwrestled before.  He broke two guys arms.  Was going to quit.  The promter talked him into staying. He did the next match he broke the guys arm.  He yelled out fuck realy loud.  Jumped off the stage and was crying and literally walked away to his car and left without saying a thing.  Never saw or heard from that guy again.

brianX

• Getbig IV
  • Kiwiol has 13" arms!
« Reply #28 on: December 09, 2005, 08:46:06 PM »
How? Your forearm is designed to grip and pull. In the benchpress it does literally nothing. I can see if you say back  work but not chest?

The forearm muscles are heavily involved when bench pressing. They stabilize and support the bar. Almost all of the really strong benchers have big forearms.
hahahahahahahahahahahaha

bmacsys

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #29 on: December 10, 2005, 09:06:51 AM »
The forearm muscles are heavily involved when bench pressing. They stabilize and support the bar. Almost all of the really strong benchers have big forearms.

The forearm muscles are not under any flexion when doing a bench press. Really strong benchpressers may have big forearms but they didn't get it from benching. I don't think anybody ever got a forearm pump from benching. From back work yes. Chest work no. Fore arms grip and hold. Most people don't even use their thumb when benching. There is no gripping or holding. The bar literally rests in the palm of your hand while your chest, shoulders and triceps do all the work.

onlyme

• Getbig V
  • Don't Fuck With Bears
« Reply #30 on: December 10, 2005, 09:29:22 AM »
I have used a thumbless grip ever since I started lifting.  NO forearms are used at all.  The bar rests atop your palm.  I am pretty sure your forearms are not being used to stabilize the bar.  You are using your shoulders, chest and entire arms to move under the bar to stabilize not your wrists or hands.  I think the larger forearms would come from all the other lifting exercises you do.  I have never felt any type of pump or stress on my forearms before from benching. 

Bear03

• Getbig IV
« Reply #31 on: December 10, 2005, 09:54:28 AM »
Yes it makes me squemish too now.  I can't even watch a match.  At the 86 Nationals I won there was a kid who never armwrestled before.  He broke two guys arms.  Was going to quit.  The promter talked him into staying. He did the next match he broke the guys arm.  He yelled out f**k realy loud.  Jumped off the stage and was crying and literally walked away to his car and left without saying a thing.  Never saw or heard from that guy again.

Yeah, that sounds pretty damaging to one's psyche.

brianX

• Getbig IV
  • Kiwiol has 13" arms!
« Reply #32 on: December 10, 2005, 01:38:59 PM »
Of course the forearms are involved when bench pressing. Just because you don't feel a pump or soreness doesn't mean the muscles/tendons aren't being worked. Ryan Kennelly didn't get his 19" forearms from wrist curls.
hahahahahahahahahahahaha

bmacsys

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #33 on: December 10, 2005, 05:47:08 PM »
Of course the forearms are involved when bench pressing. Just because you don't feel a pump or soreness doesn't mean the muscles/tendons aren't being worked. Ryan Kennelly didn't get his 19" forearms from wrist curls.

Dude, give it up. Your forearms aren't worked during pressing movements. Your the only guy I ever heard state that since I have been lifting since 1978.

onlyme

• Getbig V
  • Don't Fuck With Bears
« Reply #34 on: December 11, 2005, 02:01:07 AM »

Didn't get them from Benching either.  Please tell us this isn't your reason why you think benching builds your forearms.  Son, please graduate first then go to at least a junior college and take kinesiology.  You'll learn more than just looking at pictures.  But, if you learn anything from coming on here it is this benching does not build your forearms.

loco

• Getbig V
  • loco like a fox
« Reply #35 on: December 14, 2005, 09:20:24 AM »
hey guys
 i was wondering, what are the best mass builder for forearms??

thx

Heavy deadlifts, heavy bent-over rows and chin-ups, all without wrist straps.

Onlyme,
I do remember the guy drinking the motor oil in Over The Top.  That was pretty funny.   So you broke his arm, uh?  Cool.

onlyme

• Getbig V
  • Don't Fuck With Bears
« Reply #36 on: December 14, 2005, 08:00:36 PM »
Yes his name is Bruce Wey.  In real competition he usually ate a lit cigar.  He did drink motor oil once but had to have his stomach pumped.  In the movie he drank honey.  He has eaten a live bird too on stage.

Sculpter

• Getbig III
  • Getbig!
« Reply #37 on: December 22, 2005, 05:47:43 AM »
Well brianx, hate to bust your bubble but I agree w/onlyme in that you don't get big forearms by benching.Ever since the mid to late 70's when I first got interested in this thing called bb'ing I have yet to see guys that have gotten big forearms from benching.Believe me, i've seen some gym rats who I think only think there is chest exercises to do & they have never had big forearms.

JPM

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #38 on: December 22, 2005, 09:02:36 AM »
If you have a genetic potentional for large forearms then your going to get them much larger whatever you do, benching or not. True the forearms help to stabilize the upper arms and shoulder girdle throught out the benching movement but as far  as being responsible for any noticeable growth, I would doubt that very much. If PL'ers or the one lift wonders who only do benches, have huge forearm it's not from benching.  I've seen some very strong lightweight's push up some massive amount of weight in the BP who's forearms looked like sticks (no insult intended for these guy's). I've also seem some of these same guy's DL outstanding weight with those stick forearms. Not always how you look but what you can do.

As Onlyme mention about the thumbless grip and bar mostly resting on the heel of the hand, most of all the heavy bencher's I've seen all use that style rather than thumb over and crading the bar in the palms of the hand. Get a more direct line of force (power) with the heel in a straight line with the wrist, more or less. With the thumb over, your over flexing and putting too much pressure/stress on the wrist it's self and  lossing strength in the push. The only way the forearm comes into play is with the stablization of the bar during the lift.

Working on the grip alone will not always build size in the forearms but will increase strength. If you want better size than try BB wrist curls with the bar resting on the knee's while sitting. Curl the bar from the tips of the fingers all the way up to a tight ball with your fingers only. You can do this reverse style (thumbs facing down) but this affects the grip more. Stand with two DB'd at your sides and just curl up the weights with your fingers. Take a full sheet of newspaper (I suggest the LA Times, not much good for anything else)  and grab it at one end and just keep wadding it up into a tight ball. Doesn't sound like much but it should kill the forearm muscles. Hang from a chinning bar at the tips of you fingers and try curling just your hand into a tight ball, another killer. Try BB reverse curls or Zotterman DB curls, very effctive for better forearms. A wrist rollar (12" dowl with a light rope attached and a BB plate on the end of it) is also a good movement. Dozens of other forearm exercise out there. Good Luck.

onlyme

• Getbig V
  • Don't Fuck With Bears
« Reply #39 on: December 22, 2005, 10:04:36 AM »
I used to live on the 4th floor of an apartment building facing the street.  I had a dowel with a rope long enough to reach the ground with a 10lb weight on the end.  Doesn't sound like much but man I would wind that thing up and then down i time a day.  And my forearms would blow up.  You have to wind it down to not just up.  I've been doing these since high school when our coach showed them to us.  I had one in my bedroom.  Also, another easy one is on the cable machine (upper one)  grab a single handle.  Pull the weight until you have tension. And by just curling your wrists, curl the handle all they way in then let it out to the tips of your fingers and repeat.  Do this 10 to 15 reps.  You will be burning after the 2nd set. 

Carmello

• Getbig III
  • Believe it or not. Your choice.
« Reply #40 on: December 22, 2005, 10:09:16 PM »
I used to believe this as well.  However, as my upper arms continued to grow, they made my forearms look more and more pathetic.  I started doing super-sets of behind-the-back barbell wrist curls (fully extending my fingers at the bottom) and E-Z Bar Reverse curls - at the end of my arm routine and my forearms have responded tremendously!
That's funny. This is EXACTLY what I do for forearms. Also, sometimes i do the gripper machine in my gym. I think it's counter productive though since my forearms still SUCK!!! Don't mix burn with mass, but feel the burn when training for mass.
CEA999

Bear03

• Getbig IV
« Reply #41 on: December 23, 2005, 08:32:13 AM »
I used to live on the 4th floor of an apartment building facing the street.  I had a dowel with a rope long enough to reach the ground with a 10lb weight on the end.  Doesn't sound like much but man I would wind that thing up and then down i time a day.  And my forearms would blow up.  You have to wind it down to not just up.  I've been doing these since high school when our coach showed them to us.  I had one in my bedroom.  Also, another easy one is on the cable machine (upper one)  grab a single handle.  Pull the weight until you have tension. And by just curling your wrists, curl the handle all they way in then let it out to the tips of your fingers and repeat.  Do this 10 to 15 reps.  You will be burning after the 2nd set. 

i can't believe that's legal.......