Author Topic: Globe/Ledger/Weei reports pats and Asante "close" to long term deal  (Read 1538 times)

body88

that could be done as soon as Monday.  The rumor is they are in talks to get something hammered out by the deadline. Stay tuned.

QUINCY - The final piece of the puzzle (or so they hope) could fall into place for the Patriots this weekend. One of Asante Samuel’s agents on Friday expressed optimism that the cornerback and the team could agree on a long-term contract before Monday’s deadline for franchise-tagged players.

‘‘We’re a lot closer than we were before,’’ said Glenn Toby. ‘‘We’re not adversaries; we’re not fighting (the Patriots). We’re fighting to get it done collectively.

‘‘We’re not looking to grab money and leave. We’re looking to build a future here. It’s worked (for Samuel and the Patriots so far). It’s been great. It’s been magic.’’

If Samuel, 26, returns to the fold, it would be the cherry on top of an offseason sundae that has seen the Patriots load up at linebacker (Adalius Thomas, Junior Seau) and receiver (Randy Moss, Donte’ Stallworth, Wes Welker and Kelley Washington) and become the trendy pick to win Super Bowl XLII.

The two sides must strike a deal by 4 p.m. Monday, or Samuel can only play for the Patriots under his one-year franchise tender, which he has yet to sign. The tender would pay him $7.79 million for the 2007 season - hardly chump change - but it would not give him the financial security of a long-term deal, which presumably would include a hefty signing bonus and a fat pay-out for the first few years.

Before Friday there had been little indication of a thaw in contract talks, with many predicting that Samuel would not report to the team until after the 10th week of the regular season - an option available to him through the terms of the Collective Bargaining Agreement.

Clearly, though, Samuel’s side has seen good signs lately.

‘‘There’s been a great deal of progress,’’ said Toby, who partners with Alonzo Shavers in Columbus, Ohio-based Infinite Sports Management. ‘‘We respect Coach (Bill) Belichick - he’s a visionary; he’s got a great system. We don’t want to disrespect the system by any means. We want to do something that works.

‘‘This man (Samuel) is a Patriot. His number is still No. 22. He’s working on getting back on the field and playing with the Patriots. He’s working on getting back to business.

‘‘He’s in the business of playing. He’s not in the business of negotiating or posturing, so we’re not posturing. We want to posture by holding up a world championship trophy.’’

Samuel is coming off a career season in which he tied Denver’s Champ Bailey for the league lead in interceptions (10) and then added two more in the playoffs, both of which he returned for touchdowns.

Had he not been tagged, he might have broken the bank a la Nate Clements, the former Bills corner who inked an eight-year, $80 million free-agent deal with the 49ers. Samuel at first said he understood why the Patriots were limiting his options, but as time dragged on without a new deal in place, his patience waned.

In April he told the NFL Network he was prepared to seek a trade, saying, ‘‘I’m not happy anymore and things are not going well.’’ Samuel said the two sides had a ‘‘difference of opinion in my value.’’

Toby said Friday that was water under the proverbial bridge.

‘‘If you take a look at the quotes that Asante made, he just (basically) said, ‘Hey, I want to take care of my family. I performed really well.’

‘‘We’re past that stage.’’

The Patriots’ other top corners are Ellis Hobbs, Chad Scott, Randall Gay and free agent Tory James. Retaining Samuel, a fourth-round draft pick in 2003, would dramatically upgrade the secondary, which also features first-round draft pick Brandon Meriweather, a safety from Miami.

‘‘He’s in the best shape of his life,’’ Toby said of Samuel. ‘‘He’s focused. I think we’re going to get something done because I think this could be an amazing year.

‘‘We just have to work out the business part of it. Hopefully we can get that done. I’m sure the Patriots want to have the best personnel. It’s obvious (how good Samuel is). You saw the way he performed, you see the respect and the pride that he plays with in that city.’’

Copyright 2007 The Patriot Ledger
Transmitted Saturday, July 14, 2007

body88

Re: Globe/Ledger/Weei reports pats and Asante "close" to long term deal
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2007, 05:04:13 PM »
Looks like both sides where about 16 million apart. Asante wants something comparable to what dwight freeney got, lol.

I am all for giving Asante doe, but this dude is delusional. Asante had a awesome year last year, after years of average at best play. Now he wants to make money comparable to the highest payed defensive player ever? I think one might have to back up a contract year with another awesome season before he can get over 30 million guaranteed (in three years). If Asante had posted numbers comparable to last year over his first two season, this would be a totally different animal. Fact is the numbers were not even close. No idea why he thinks the pats would pay him more then Tom Brady / Seymour after one good season ::) Asante is a good player, but the money he is asking is insane.

Sign the tender Asante and play under the tag for a year, then move on next year when the pats agree to let you walk. Or lose 7 mill and get franchised again ; )

body88

« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2007, 04:39:27 AM »

NFL Network's Adam Schefter reports "common sense" indicates franchise player Asante Samuel will end up reporting to the Patriots just before Week 1.
Schefter says Lance Briggs is "more than likely" in the same boat. Both players will probably sit out nearly all of training camp and the preseason.

Grape Ape

• Getbig V
  • SC è un asino
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2007, 06:49:57 AM »
They had his agent on EEI this morning.  Did you get to hear it?  He admitted they never got close, but I was on the phone for most of it, so I didn't get much.
Y

body88

« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2007, 07:27:19 AM »
They had his agent on EEI this morning.  Did you get to hear it?  He admitted they never got close, but I was on the phone for most of it, so I didn't get much.

I missed it  :( I used to listen to eei at work on my pc . When I switched company's I discovered the company I work for now has a block on pretty much every website known to man. They forgot about this one tho  :)

I hope Asante signs the tender. That is his best bet.The pats agree not to franchise him next year, Asante makes his 8 million guaranteed, hopefully he has a great year, then the pats trade him off somewhere were he can make some huge coin. The pats are not going to mortgage the future on a one year performance. They are the ones who drafted and coached the guy up. Asante was average at best his first two seasons. The pats have a excellent track record when it comes to rating a players value.

That is the best way. He knows the pats are not going to give him 30 million guaranteed over three years. The pats know Asante is not going to accept anything less then Freeney / Clement type money. The Vasher deal is comparable to something Asante should get. Let him hold out to until week 10. If that is the case I would franchise his ass again next year. Not only would he lose 8 million bones, he would lose some of his value on the market. Thank the players union / NFL for this hold out / drama.

If Asante was willing to make about 22 million guaranteed he could play for a year under the tag then take the pats original deal. Wont happen tho. I hope Asante plays this year. He is a good player who might just develop into a legit shut down corner. A champ Bailey type player. But if you watched him play last year you would conclude that Asante still misses way to many tackles for a  franchise to base there entire future on. No idea were Asante  got the idea he deserves to make right around what the highest payed defensive player ever is making, I dont know.

UPINTHEMGUTS

• Getbig V
  • I can spot crazy pussy....
« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2007, 08:54:10 AM »
Body88...ultimately, the Pats will not be as good defensively without him back there. I totally agree that this guy is delusional with the money he's expecting. Good analysis about the Pats not wanting to mortgage the future on a one year performance. If he only plays half the season, he's only shooting himself in the foot.

Granted, he had a terrific year, but let's see him piece a couple of seasons like this back to back. Missing training camp and the pre season will not benefit him in anyway for the upcoming season. He should just sign the tender offer and get his ass into camp.

Chris Mcallister of the Ravens went through this in back to back years in '03 and '04 with the Ravens slapping him with the franchise tag two years in a row. Basically, the team held off on signing him to long term contract because of past character issues. Chris signed the tender offer both years and kept his mouth shut and let his play do the talking on the field. Midway through the '04 season, Ravens owner Steve Biscotti rewared Chris with a long term contract and signing bonus that put Mcallister among the top 5 highest paid cornerbacks in the game.

Patience pays off. Asante could learn from this situation if he pulled his head out of his ass.

body88

« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2007, 10:20:10 AM »
Body88...ultimately, the Pats will not be as good defensively without him back there. I totally agree that this guy is delusional with the money he's expecting. Good analysis about the Pats not wanting to mortgage the future on a one year performance. If he only plays half the season, he's only shooting himself in the foot.

Granted, he had a terrific year, but let's see him piece a couple of seasons like this back to back. Missing training camp and the pre season will not benefit him in anyway for the upcoming season. He should just sign the tender offer and get his ass into camp.

Chris Mcallister of the Ravens went through this in back to back years in '03 and '04 with the Ravens slapping him with the franchise tag two years in a row. Basically, the team held off on signing him to long term contract because of past character issues. Chris signed the tender offer both years and kept his mouth shut and let his play do the talking on the field. Midway through the '04 season, Ravens owner Steve Biscotti rewared Chris with a long term contract and signing bonus that put Mcallister among the top 5 highest paid cornerbacks in the game.

Patience pays off. Asante could learn from this situation if he pulled his head out of his ass.

I agree 100 percent.The pats allowed the fewest passing td in the entire NFL last year. The secondary was decimated with injury to boot. I feel the pats will have a good secondary without Samuel.With a healthy Hobbs, Wilson, Gay, Harrison, the first rounder Meriweather and the addition of Tory James I think it will be a good unit. With Asante it would ob be a great unit. The goal is to put the absolute best product on the field. With Asante the secondary could be very very good. I am just looking beyond Asante in a worst case scenario type of deal. Last year injuries really hurt that secondary. They still managed to play well. Granted the talent on the line had something to do with that. This Meriweather kid is going to be a star.

If Asante had played even close to the level he had last year over his first two season I would feel fine if they gave him a huge contract. I don't think Asante understands the pats may need a little more then one good season to invest in him like a Tom Brady or Richard Seymour. They need to be 100 percent sure.

Honestly who knows Asante best, his agent? Or the team that invested countless scouting hours on him and drafted him in the 3rd round. That is without even mentioning how they have been coaching the dude since he stepped foot in the NFL.

The best bet is to sign the tender under the agreement the pats will not franchise him again next year.