Author Topic: Oldtimer1  (Read 421815 times)

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
Re: Oldtimer1
« Reply #725 on: October 02, 2019, 01:19:14 PM »
Leg day:

Dumbbell squats 2 x 12 85lbs (Straight back and butt to the ground. Used straps to hold the dumbbells at my side)
Hack squat 2 x 12 (I do these almost like a sissy squat. Deep all the way down)
Stiff dead 2 x 6 205lbs
Kick back machine 2 x 12 ( Hardest machine in the gym)
Leg extension 2 x 12 150lbs.
Leg curl 2 x 12

Standing calf 2 x 12 180lbs
Seated calf 2 x 15 90lbs

Hanging leg raise 2 x 22
Seated knee ins 2 x 25

Nautilus four way neck machine (A really good neck machine.)

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #726 on: October 03, 2019, 10:32:39 AM »
Cardio Day:

Walked for nearly an hour at 3.8 MPH on a treadmill. See Tuesday's post for the methodology. Hit the heavy bag after.

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #727 on: October 04, 2019, 01:37:30 PM »
Delt and arm day today: 

Instead of doing my boring list of things I did I will mentions a couple of things. I rarely do one arm single dumbbell tricep extensions. It hurts my elbow. Today I really lightened the weight and did the movement slow and full range with 12 reps. No problems. I think sometimes in the attempt to use more weight the movement gets jerky and out of the groove. Makes me think sometimes putting the ego on the shelf and making a moderate weight heavy is a sane approach.

My wife is having problems with compressed nerves in her neck and excruciating pain. We saw a neuro surgeon who took a long time to say what was going on with her. He showed us the MRI's and she has three vertebrate pushing on nerves in her neck. Making one arm very weak and in pain. He said for temporary relief prior to spinal surgery he was going to use a pulley with weights and a head harness to pull her head up to create space for the nerve. Made me think. When I do military presses sometimes I have a shooting pain in my neck. I can alleviate the pain almost instantly by pushing up on my head. So I'm creating space for the the nerves between my vertebrate.

For decades I have used low sets and the high intensity model of working out. I'm happy with the results being a natural but wondering if I have been limiting myself by not doing more sets and cutting back on the weight.

IroNat

• Getbig V
  • Time you enjoy wasting, was not wasted.
« Reply #728 on: October 04, 2019, 03:54:29 PM »
Delt and arm day today: 

Instead of doing my boring list of things I did I will mentions a couple of things. I rarely do one arm single dumbbell tricep extensions. It hurts my elbow. Today I really lightened the weight and did the movement slow and full range with 12 reps. No problems. I think sometimes in the attempt to use more weight the movement gets jerky and out of the groove. Makes me think sometimes putting the ego on the shelf and making a moderate weight heavy is a sane approach.

My wife is having problems with compressed nerves in her neck and excruciating pain. We saw a neuro surgeon who took a long time to say what was going on with her. He showed us the MRI's and she has three vertebrate pushing on nerves in her neck. Making one arm very weak and in pain. He said for temporary relief prior to spinal surgery he was going to use a pulley with weights and a head harness to pull her head up to create space for the nerve. Made me think. When I do military presses sometimes I have a shooting pain in my neck. I can alleviate the pain almost instantly by pushing up on my head. So I'm creating space for the the nerves between my vertebrate.

For decades I have used low sets and the high intensity model of working out. I'm happy with the results being a natural but wondering if I have been limiting myself by not doing more sets and cutting back on the weight.

Sorry to hear about your wife.

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #729 on: October 04, 2019, 04:11:40 PM »
Sorry to hear about your wife.

Thanks

Primemuscle

• Getbig V
« Reply #730 on: October 04, 2019, 06:13:21 PM »
Delt and arm day today: 

Give your wife my best. Spinal issues especially in the neck area are horrendous. Do the pinched nerves cause her to get migraines? My son-in-law has this issue as a result of an IED going off near him, when he was in Irag. One of the treatments that helps him get some relief is botox. TCP was also helping, but he started having a side effect that was worse than the migraine, cyclic vomiting syndrome.

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #731 on: October 05, 2019, 01:39:00 PM »
Give your wife my best. Spinal issues especially in the neck area are horrendous. Do the pinched nerves cause her to get migraines? My son-in-law has this issue as a result of an IED going off near him, when he was in Irag. One of the treatments that helps him get some relief is botox. TCP was also helping, but he started having a side effect that was worse than the migraine, cyclic vomiting syndrome.

No but she has balance issues, one arm weakness, incredible pain and the hand is hard to use. Nerves are being pressed on in her neck. He said there is no pain in her arm. It's in the brain that control the nerves going to her arm. She has had a couple of good weeks. I would hate to see her arm atrophy because she is afraid of the operation but it's major surgery. Through the front of the neck moving the esophagus and trachea. A lot of sensitive stuff there. He said he would remove the cushions between the vertebra and replace it with plastic. He would free up the channels for the nerves.

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #732 on: October 06, 2019, 12:44:46 PM »
I was on the treadmill today walking fast using the incline for about 40 minutes. Finished with a quarter mile lap at a 7 minute mile pace to remind my body I'm not a walker but a runner.

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #733 on: October 07, 2019, 10:53:31 AM »
Back and chest then 35 minutes on the treadmill.

IroNat

• Getbig V
  • Time you enjoy wasting, was not wasted.
« Reply #734 on: October 07, 2019, 01:57:02 PM »
Back and chest then 35 minutes on the treadmill.

That's what I call an abbreviated workout................. ........................ .......................r eport.  ;)

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #735 on: October 08, 2019, 11:02:29 AM »
Cardio day:

I did about 55 minutes on the treadmill. Just spent.  Hit the heavy bag after as usual.

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #736 on: October 09, 2019, 11:48:14 AM »
Leg day at home. My leg press machine is fantastic. The one at the gym stinks. I had a lot of knee pain till until I realized it's the commercial gym's leg press. The angles are all wrong.

I did a couple of things different. I used the leg press for calves instead of my stand up unit. Also realize my seated calf machine is way better than the commercial gym I go to. Somethings are better at the commercial gym like their pulleys. My dumbbells are better. I have two treadmills in my home gym. The good one needs repairs so the commercial Landice in the commercial gym is a dream surface to run on. I balked when a repair man said $550 to fix it my good treadmill.  Needs a belt and a reverse the running surface. I guess this stuff is boring. Just pointing out that the commercial gym has some better stuff and some worse stuff than I have.

My knees are better and just about mint now. Maybe next week I will finish legs with no weight body weight free hand squats like I was doing for awhile. Fantastic exercise especially if you go deep and control the cadence to avoid flopping down like cross fitters.

I got about a two hour break and now I'm going to hit cardio.  Nothing really hard on this leg day. Went from 192 to 186lbs in around two weeks. I want to continue the down ward trend. I don't know if I can but I would like to get to 171 lbs. When I was a sprinter in college I was around 160 and ended competitive running around 171lbs. My times were going down as working part time, full time school, girls and partying like crazy led to my times going down. Women makes the knees weak.  

njflex

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • HEY PAISAN
« Reply #737 on: October 09, 2019, 02:41:10 PM »
Leg day at home. My leg press machine is fantastic. The one at the gym stinks. I had a lot of knee pain till until I realized it's the commercial gym's leg press. The angles are all wrong.

I did a couple of things different. I used the leg press for calves instead of my stand up unit. Also realize my seated calf machine is way better than the commercial gym I go to. Somethings are better at the commercial gym like their pulleys. My dumbbells are better. I have two treadmills in my home gym. The good one needs repairs so the commercial Landice in the commercial gym is a dream surface to run on. I balked when a repair man said $550 to fix it my good treadmill.  Needs a belt and a reverse the running surface. I guess this stuff is boring. Just pointing out that the commercial gym has some better stuff and some worse stuff than I have.

My knees are better and just about mint now. Maybe next week I will finish legs with no weight body weight free hand squats like I was doing for awhile. Fantastic exercise especially if you go deep and control the cadence to avoid flopping down like cross fitters.

I got about a two hour break and now I'm going to hit cardio.  Nothing really hard on this leg day. Went from 192 to 186lbs in around two weeks. I want to continue the down ward trend. I don't know if I can but I would like to get to 171 lbs. When I was a sprinter in college I was around 160 and ended competitive running around 171lbs. My times were going down as working part time, full time school, girls and partying like crazy led to my times going down. Women makes the knees weak.  

GO TO 180 1ST SEE WHERE YOUR ABS ARE THEN HOLD 171 IS LIGHT YOUR 5'8/5'9 NO?180 LEAN LBS IS GOOD  WITH DECENT ABS..

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #738 on: October 09, 2019, 06:36:32 PM »
GO TO 180 1ST SEE WHERE YOUR ABS ARE THEN HOLD 171 IS LIGHT YOUR 5'8/5'9 NO?180 LEAN LBS IS GOOD  WITH DECENT ABS..

I got pretty small bones.  I'm not a bodybuilder. Yes, 180lbs is good for my height but athletically 170lbs is even better.

njflex

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • HEY PAISAN
« Reply #739 on: October 10, 2019, 06:04:04 AM »
I got pretty small bones.  I'm not a bodybuilder. Yes, 180lbs is good for my height but athletically 170lbs is even better.
I here you i'm the same small joints,i was light 140 lbs when i started lifting ,i gained 30 lbs 1st yr or so training ,i'm 5'7 ish lol and settled in 180 185 ..

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #740 on: October 10, 2019, 10:04:02 AM »
I here you i'm the same small joints,i was light 140 lbs when i started lifting ,i gained 30 lbs 1st yr or so training ,i'm 5'7 ish lol and settled in 180 185 ..
My wrists are under 7". Real bird bones. I started high school at 118. I graduated around 145lbs. A girl where I work wanted to measure my wrist for a bracelet she was buying her boy friend. I'm way more muscular at around the same height. Told her to add an inch to the measurement and she told me when she gave it to him it was too tight. LOL. My father and his brother weighted about 150lbs max.

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #741 on: October 10, 2019, 10:18:31 AM »
Cardio day:

8 x quarter miles (440 yards)  I did it well within my capability. The fastest was 6:59 mile pace. Nothing crazy.  Coaxing cardio gains instead of sledge hammering them. Did my usual boxing drills after.  When I know it goes against the current science but when I lose fat it first comes off my face. I hate it. Wish it came off my chest and stomach first.

Primemuscle

• Getbig V
« Reply #742 on: October 10, 2019, 01:25:47 PM »

I'm a giant compared to you and NJFlex. My wrists measure 8.5" Used to be 5' 11 1/2", but I've shrunk two inches over the last 6 decades.

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #743 on: October 11, 2019, 01:01:37 PM »
Trained delts and arms. I think the added cardio is doing me good. At 186 lbs now. After delt and arms I did about 35 minutes on the treadmill of fast incline walking.

Changed up a few things. Used a rope for triceps instead of the straight bar. Finished triceps with one set of body weight dips. After doing triceps doing dips was tough. On biceps I really went all out on a biceps machine so when I got to concentration curls my biceps were burning. I already had a complete bicep rupture in the past so I'm a little sensitive to it happening again. Struggling to get the final reps in concentration curls I banged the dumbbell against my head. I guess that's why we are iron warriors.  ::)

Feeling a little weak from 6 days of cardio. I feel I'm going it a good direction. I will see if I can keep this up. My face is looking a little lean. Egotistically I feel I'm looking pretty good. Of course a steroid user would disagree.  ;D

AbrahamG

• Getbig V
  • Team Pfizer
« Reply #744 on: October 11, 2019, 05:14:12 PM »
I'm a giant compared to you and NJFlex. My COCK measures 8.5" Used to be 9.75", but it's shrunk since I've stopped banging dudes.

You always keep it real.  Respect.

Primemuscle

• Getbig V
« Reply #745 on: October 12, 2019, 10:48:18 AM »
You always keep it real.  Respect.

I wish.

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #746 on: October 14, 2019, 07:15:03 PM »
Did Chest and biceps Yate's style of one set to failure. A couple hours later I did 8 x quarter miles on the treadmill. Nothing crazy. Fastest quarter was a little under 7 minute mile pace.

I spent some time with a pen and pad. Next week I will begin whole body routines. It will go something like this. No warm ups listed.

Cleans 3x3 then 1 x 1

squats 2 x 8

barbell bench 2 x 6

pull ups 2 x
Low pulley cable row with a V handle 2 x 12

military press 2 x 8
Dumbbell laterals 2 x 10

Tricep extensions with an EZ bar leaning back against a scott bench reverse 2 x 8
barbell curls 2 x 8

Situps on an incline 1 x

standing calf raise 2 x 15

Weighted back extensions 2 x 15
Neck four sides

Method used will be lifting twice a week. I would do three but I am running on off days. I won't go to failure till the last day of a 6 workout increase. To clarify again lifting twice a week. I will pick a goal weight for the max day. It won't be crazy. So for example Monday might be 175lbs. Friday will be 185lbs. Next week Monday will be 195lbs. Next week Friday will be 205lbs. The progression is for 6 workouts. So nothing near failure till the sixth workout. It will be good not the fry the nervous system with failure based training. No extra reps will happen with the lighter weight. The cadence might be slower with perfect form. I know many will say why not hit max weight from the get go. Trying to use what power lifters and Olympic lifters have been using for ages. They always cycle up to failure. Every training session is not a lift till your blue in the face session. Maybe a month or two before a competition. I did this years ago after an operation and found it kept me fresh to hit the cardio hard. When I recovered from the operation and started to lift every session to exhaustion Jones/Mentzer style I found I had nothing left to effectively do cardio.  I really believe in the benefits of cardio and the results when added to a lifting program. After six increases in weight I will switch exercises.

We will see. Often the best laid plans...... This really applies to lifting plans for me. Let me get this training week out of the way and hopefully the whole body routine will work. The bench press with a  bar will be the most challenging with my damaged shoulder. It will be light and a slow cadence. I will do what I can do and forget the rest.

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #747 on: October 15, 2019, 07:18:33 PM »
Legs: Trained them with one set to failure after warm up. That one set to failure is a brutal way to train. Had to hold onto something because I was breathing so hard. At the end of thighs I use free hand squats again. Just a 1 x 50 with a moderate cadence so I wasn't floppy down like a cross fitter. After legs I walked on an incline for around 40 minutes at a fast pace. Trained at home.

Leg press 1 x 15 4 plates a side with a low back board so I could fully bend my legs. The leg press has to be the biggest monkey spanker ego stroker equipment in the gym. Seen guy put every 45lbs plate they can find only to do a range of motion that is a next to nothing. One trick is to put the back board up high so the thigh touch the chest with no leg bend.

Dumbbell squats 1 x 14 85lbs (You know the drill. Upright back and not bending  over to deadlift the weight. Sink the butt until it won't go any deeper.

Stiff leg deadlift off a platform 1 x 8 205lbs. Fists touch the top of my feet.

leg extension 1 x 25
Seated leg curl 1 x 20

Free hand no weight body weight squats 1 x 50 ( no dropping like a shot penquin. Controlled negative. If you look like a Youtube of a cross fitter trying to beat the clock to get reps, you are doing them wrong.)

Dumbbell side bend with one dumbbell 1 x 18 90lbs
Hanging straight leg raise 1 x 25
Hips ups off the floor 1 x 25 (do a partial leg raise off the floor then shoot the hips toward the ceiling)

Standing calf 1 x 18
Seated calf 1 x 20
Tibalis work 1 x 20

Neck four ways with a neck helmet.  

After lifting I took a half hour break then got on the treadmill. Walked at 3.8 MPH. First quarter mile on level grade. Second at 1% incline for a quarter mile lap. Third lap it was at 2% grade incline. I did this till I hit 7%.  Then finished a final quarter mile at 0% grade, level surface. I find this was a non taxing way to get some cardio in. Took around 35-40 minutes if memory serves me.

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #748 on: October 16, 2019, 01:10:26 PM »
Cardio day: Did 8 x quarter miles (440 Yards or roughly 400 meters). Fastest in 6:44 pace or 8.9 MPH for the quarter mile. Hit the bag after with bad intent. My body is hurting now. Limping a little. Getting old stinks.  ;D

njflex

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • HEY PAISAN
« Reply #749 on: October 16, 2019, 02:15:50 PM »
Legs: Trained them with one set to failure after warm up. That one set to failure is a brutal way to train. Had to hold onto something because I was breathing so hard. At the end of thighs I use free hand squats again. Just a 1 x 50 with a moderate cadence so I wasn't floppy down like a cross fitter. After legs I walked on an incline for around 40 minutes at a fast pace. Trained at home.

Leg press 1 x 15 4 plates a side with a low back board so I could fully bend my legs. The leg press has to be the biggest monkey spanker ego stroker equipment in the gym. Seen guy put every 45lbs plate they can find only to do a range of motion that is a next to nothing. One trick is to put the back board up high so the thigh touch the chest with no leg bend.

Dumbbell squats 1 x 14 85lbs (You know the drill. Upright back and not bending  over to deadlift the weight. Sink the butt until it won't go any deeper.

Stiff leg deadlift off a platform 1 x 8 205lbs. Fists touch the top of my feet.

leg extension 1 x 25
Seated leg curl 1 x 20

Free hand no weight body weight squats 1 x 50 ( no dropping like a shot penquin. Controlled negative. If you look like a Youtube of a cross fitter trying to beat the clock to get reps, you are doing them wrong.)

Dumbbell side bend with one dumbbell 1 x 18 90lbs
Hanging straight leg raise 1 x 25
Hips ups off the floor 1 x 25 (do a partial leg raise off the floor then shoot the hips toward the ceiling)

Standing calf 1 x 18
Seated calf 1 x 20
Tibalis work 1 x 20

Neck four ways with a neck helmet.  

After lifting I took a half hour break then got on the treadmill. Walked at 3.8 MPH. First quarter mile on level grade. Second at 1% incline for a quarter mile lap. Third lap it was at 2% grade incline. I did this till I hit 7%.  Then finished a final quarter mile at 0% grade, level surface. I find this was a non taxing way to get some cardio in. Took around 35-40 minutes if memory serves me.
LEG PRESS YES MULTIPLE WAYS TO LOOK BETTER THAN MOST,PILING PLATES AND DO 1/2 REPS WOW...TELL YOU LATLEY I HAVE BEEN INTO HEAVIER REPS ON LEG PRESS I PUT BACKREST TO BOTTOM IT GOES ,LAST MONT I HAVE BEEN REPPING ALL PRESSES 15 REPS IT HURTS AND STILL 6 PLATES PER SIDE,,MY LEGS VAE THICKENED UP A BIT AS WELL'SEPERATED TOO..I DO A LOT OF LEG WORK..SORRY FOR CAPS...