Author Topic: 16 for '16: The Most Talked-About Potential GOP Presidential Candidates  (Read 182014 times)

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
  • I am. The most interesting man in the world. (Not)
Re: 16 for '16: The Most Talked-About Potential GOP Presidential Candidates
« Reply #925 on: December 30, 2015, 07:29:29 PM »
LOL @ you seriously not believing a candidate's voting record matters.

Says it all, doesn't it?

Ah shaddap.  Nobody cares what you think.

240 is Back

• Getbig V
  • Complete website for only $300- www.300website.com
« Reply #926 on: December 30, 2015, 08:11:33 PM »
Ah shaddap.  Nobody cares what you think.

you're not acting like a moderator here. 

whork

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #927 on: December 31, 2015, 04:03:07 AM »
I think it's about as relevant as his "luxury" speedboat and his traffic tickets. 

So you dont think the next president should be someone who can actually manage to get to work in the morning?

Half of succes is being there.

Come on.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #928 on: December 31, 2015, 09:38:53 AM »
you're not acting like a moderator here. 

::)  You are the biggest crybaby on this board. 

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #929 on: December 31, 2015, 09:43:13 AM »

So you dont think the next president should be someone who can actually manage to get to work in the morning?

Half of succes is being there.

Come on.

I think this is purely an attempt to try and smear him to damage his presidential candidacy.  I've seen this done locally.  It's never really a legitimate issue, although it did partly result in a local candidate losing when his opponent tallied missed votes, took them out of context, and made it look pretty bad.  It shows how desperate people can be to attack a candidate when they have difficulty addressing the candidate's substantive issues/positions. 

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #930 on: December 31, 2015, 09:48:47 AM »
I've been in different parts of the country over the past couple months and have seen numerous Bush campaign ads everywhere.  He is spending a ton of money.  Interested to see how this translates when the voting starts. 

Bush campaign shifts resources to early states in strategy shake-up
The redeployment of staff and retooling of TV advertising marks the campaign's third major overhaul.
By ALEX ISENSTADT
12/30/15

Jeb Bush holds a meet and greet at Chico's Restaurant in Hialeah, Fla., on Dec. 28.
The redeployment of staff and retooling of TV advertising marks the campaign's third major overhaul. | Getty

Jeb Bush's campaign, searching for momentum in a race that hasn’t gone its way, is deploying nearly all of its staff in its Miami headquarters to early states and shifting millions of dollars in TV ad reservations.

On a Wednesday afternoon staff-wide conference call, top campaign officials, including campaign manager Danny Diaz, informed employees that the deployment would be staggered throughout the month of January. The campaign is expected to dispatch between 50 and 60 staffers in Miami and elsewhere, with 20 going to New Hampshire and 10 or more going to Iowa, South Carolina and Nevada.

One participant on the call quoted Diaz as saying that “damn near everybody” would be departing Miami for early primary states. Diaz, too, would be getting deployed, he told the staff.

The campaign also said it was making major adjustments in its TV spending, canceling $3 million in reservations and directing it to field efforts and voter contact. It will scrap over $1 million of TV spending in Iowa, a state that he’s been trailing in, and around $2 million in South Carolina.

“We’re making a strategic resource reallocation,” said Tim Miller, a Bush spokesman.

Late Wednesday afternoon, Bush, along with Diaz and top campaign fundraiser Heather Larrison, held a conference call with top donors and bundlers to explain the staff redeployment and to provide a general update on the campaign.

Bush fielded several questions and gave an upbeat assessment of the campaign's fundraising performance in the fourth quarter of 2015, which will end on Thursday —though he did not provide an exact figure of how much he had raised.
Political observers will be looking closely at Bush's cash on hand when the campaign files its required reports toward the end of January.

The strategic shakeup comes as Bush is mounting a major push in New Hampshire, which his advisers consider a must-win state. The former Florida governor, once the frontrunner of the unwieldy GOP field, is making a last-ditch effort to right a campaign that has faltered despite a hefty cash pile and an establishment pedigree.

Wednesday’s announcement marked the Bush campaign’s third major overhaul. In June, the organization surprised the political world when it said that Diaz, a hard-charging veteran operative, would serve as its manager instead of David Kochel, an Iowa-based strategist who had long been seen as the likely occupant of the post. Then, in October, beset by lagging poll numbers and mediocre fundraising, the campaign announced that it was slashing staff salaries and firing a number of consultants.

The latest decisions reflect a calculation on Bush’s part that, in a presidential campaign defined by loud voices and wall-to-wall media coverage, TV commercials are having less of an effect than they traditionally do. While Bush has benefited from more TV spending than any other candidate, his poll numbers nationally and in early primary states have disappointed.

Advisers said that money would be redirected to a variety of activities in key primary states. Much of it will go towards increasing its staff presence in Iowa, where the campaign currently counts 11 paid staffers, in New Hampshire, where it has 20, South Carolina, where it has seven, and Nevada, where it has nine.

Aside from increasing its spending on field efforts, the campaign said it would boost its spending on radio advertising in New Hampshire and South Carolina — including on conservative talk shows.

For its TV presence, the campaign will find itself increasingly reliant on Right to Rise, the super PAC that has been airing tens of millions of dollars in advertisements on Bush’s behalf. The group, which operates independently of the campaign, has reserved advertising time in all four early states.

A Right to Rise spokesman, Paul Lindsay, said Wednesday afternoon that the super PAC would be “evaluating progress on the ground and augmenting our TV buys in early states where we see a need.”

The Bush campaign is also seeking out volunteers — including alumni of the George W. Bush administration. On Tuesday, Brian McCormack, a former staffer in the George W. Bush White House who now works at the Washington, DC-based Edison Electric Institute, sent out an email to Bush administration alum asking them to help out Jeb Bush’s early state efforts.

“The political season is about to shift into high gear which means it’s time to make your plans to visit Iowa, New Hampshire, South Carolina and/or Nevada!” McCormack wrote. “What could be a better resolution for 2016 than working to put a Republican in the White House?”

http://www.politico.com/story/2015/12/bush-campaign-deploying-nearly-all-miami-staff-to-early-states-217235#ixzz3vvCb2Mt7

whork

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #931 on: December 31, 2015, 10:38:51 AM »
I think this is purely an attempt to try and smear him to damage his presidential candidacy.  I've seen this done locally.  It's never really a legitimate issue, although it did partly result in a local candidate losing when his opponent tallied missed votes, took them out of context, and made it look pretty bad.  It shows how desperate people can be to attack a candidate when they have difficulty addressing the candidate's substantive issues/positions. 

Of course it is.

But that doesnt make it false.

Rubio's voting record is terrible.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #932 on: December 31, 2015, 10:47:30 AM »
Of course it is.

But that doesnt make it false.

Rubio's voting record is terrible.

Really?  How many votes did he make, how many did he miss, what is the significance of the missed votes, and how do those missed votes compare to his peers?

James

« Reply #933 on: December 31, 2015, 10:48:30 AM »
Ah shaddap.  Nobody cares what you think.

Beach,
Which Rubio do you perfer?

"I am strongly against amnesty." - Rubio 2010 (running for Senate)

or this one?

"I am for amnesty" - Rubio 2015

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #934 on: December 31, 2015, 10:50:11 AM »
Beach,
Which Rubio do you perfer?

"I am strongly against amnesty." - Rubio 2010 (running for Senate)

or this one?

"I am for amnesty" - Rubio 2015

I like the anti-amnesty Rubio.   :)

James

« Reply #935 on: December 31, 2015, 10:51:07 AM »
I like the anti-amnesty Rubio.   :)

I prefer neither as the man is a liar and a fraud who cant even show up to work most of the time, plus he called for a regime change in Libya that destabilized that area and helped strengthen ISIS.

http://firstread.nbcnews.com/_news/2011/03/31/6382558-rubio-urges-regime-change-in-libya

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #936 on: December 31, 2015, 11:01:59 AM »
I prefer neither as the man is a liar and a fraud who cant even show up to work most of the time, plus he called for a regime change in Libya that destabilized that area and helped strengthen ISIS.

http://firstread.nbcnews.com/_news/2011/03/31/6382558-rubio-urges-regime-change-in-libya

Actually he showed up for work the overwhelming majority of the time.  His missed 13.3 percent of roll call votes, so he made 86.7 percent.  Also, missing roll call votes doesn't necessarily mean a legislator isn't working. 

They are all supporting some form of amnesty. 

James

« Reply #937 on: December 31, 2015, 11:05:03 AM »
Actually he showed up for work the overwhelming majority of the time.  His missed 13.3 percent of roll call votes, so he made 86.7 percent.  Also, missing roll call votes doesn't necessarily mean a legislator isn't working.  

"Since the beginning of the year, Marco Rubio has cast votes about two-thirds of the time he could have -- the worst attendance of any senator seeking a presidential nomination."
https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/the-fix/wp/2015/10/30/marco-rubio-is-right-that-others-have-missed-more-votes-but-theyve-also-come-under-fire/

They are all supporting some form of amnesty.  

Ted Cruz has never supported Amnesty and fought hard to defeat the gang of 8 amnesty Bill that Rubio and Schumer were trying to ram through.

"Cruz was the only one among the GOP presidential field who never plainly supported something like a path to citizenship or another form of legal status. In September 2015, PolitiFact rated Mostly True Cruz’s claim that he alone among 10 candidates -- including Rubio -- never backed "amnesty" for immigrants."
http://www.politifact.com/florida/statements/2015/dec/16/marco-rubio/marco-rubio-says-ted-cruz-supports-legalizing-peop/

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #938 on: December 31, 2015, 11:52:54 AM »
"Since the beginning of the year, Marco Rubio has cast votes about two-thirds of the time he could have -- the worst attendance of any senator seeking a presidential nomination."
https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/the-fix/wp/2015/10/30/marco-rubio-is-right-that-others-have-missed-more-votes-but-theyve-also-come-under-fire/

Ted Cruz has never supported Amnesty and fought hard to defeat the gang of 8 amnesty Bill that Rubio and Schumer were trying to ram through.

"Cruz was the only one among the GOP presidential field who never plainly supported something like a path to citizenship or another form of legal status. In September 2015, PolitiFact rated Mostly True Cruz’s claim that he alone among 10 candidates -- including Rubio -- never backed "amnesty" for immigrants."
http://www.politifact.com/florida/statements/2015/dec/16/marco-rubio/marco-rubio-says-ted-cruz-supports-legalizing-peop/

Yes, he missed 13 percent of roll call votes. 

Cruz has made statements in the past supporting amnesty.  None of the candidates have clean hands on this issue. 

This is the first time I've ever seen Cruz ruffled.  Didn't look so good here.  

Fox News anchor confronts Cruz with 2013 remarks on immigration reform
By Elliot Smilowitz
December 16, 2015

Sen. Ted Cruz (R-Texas) on Wednesday squared off with Fox News anchor Bret Baier over comments Cruz made in 2013 as the Senate considered an immigration reform bill.

Baier began the interview by repeating what Cruz said on the subject during Tuesday’s GOP presidential debate: “I’ve never supported legalization, I do not intend to support it.”

The anchor then played a speech Cruz made in 2013 promoting his amendment to an immigration reform measure in which he called on “people of good faith on both sides of the aisle” to pass a bill “that allows those that are here illegally to come in out of the shadows.”

Asked to respond to the clip, Cruz said his amendment would “remove citizenship.”

“The fact that I introduced an amendment to remove part of the Gang of Eight bill doesn’t mean I support the rest of the Gang of Eight bill,” he added.

But Baier replied with a series of statements Cruz made in 2013 that indicated he wanted the rest of the bill to pass. He quoted the Texas Republican calling the legislation “the compromise that can pass” and saying “if my amendment were adopted, this bill would pass.”

Cruz stammered in his response, saying that “of course I wanted my amendment to pass. ... It doesn’t mean I supported other aspects of the bill.”

In an attempt to prove his amendment wasn’t a tacit endorsement of the rest of the bill, Cruz cited the fact that Sen. Jeff Sessions (R-Ala.) voted with him.

“The problem, though, is that at the time you were telling people ... this was not a poison pill,” Baier said in response. “You said you wanted it to pass at the time. Looking back at what you said then, and what you said now, which one should people believe?”

Cruz told Baier his amendment “illustrated hypocrisy of the Democrats” and “succeeded in defeating” the bill, as the interview wrapped up.

http://thehill.com/blogs/blog-briefing-room/news/263544-fox-news-anchor-confronts-cruz-with-2013-remarks-on-immigration

James

« Reply #939 on: December 31, 2015, 12:16:28 PM »
Yes, he missed 13 percent of roll call votes.  

Cruz has made statements in the past supporting amnesty.  None of the candidates have clean hands on this issue.

Wrong again, and I am really disappointed in you Beach for falling for this farce that Cruz is in someway for amnesty in any form, as the truth is what Cruz did was put forth a Poison Pill (BTW if you say it is a poison pill no one takes it) by putting in amendments to the gang of 8 bill that made it so no illegal could ever become a citizen, as Rubio and other Rino's were trying to say the Bill was not about amnesty but about security, when in fact it was just the opposite, and Rubio is now trying to deflect by trying to say well since Cruz did not put forth amendments for the removal of the legalization part he must then be for it, which is a lie and the pro-establishment folks at Fox news are pushing this farce, and you for one have fallen for it.

Video:

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #940 on: December 31, 2015, 12:24:32 PM »
Wrong again, and I am really disappointed in you Beach for falling for this farce that Cruz is in someway for amnesty in any form, as the truth is what Cruz did was put forth a Poison Pill (BTW if you say it is a poison pill no one takes it) by putting in amendments to the gang of 8 bill that made it so no illegal could ever become a citizen, as Rubio and other Rino's were trying to say the Bill was not about amnesty but about security, when in fact it was just the opposite, and Rubio is now trying to deflect by trying to say well since Cruz did not put forth amendments for the removal of the legalization part he must then be for it, which is a lie and the pro-establishment folks at Fox news are pushing this farce, and you for one have fallen for it.

Video:

I like Cruz, but he is trying to spin his comments.  Here is what he said: 

The anchor then played a speech Cruz made in 2013 promoting his amendment to an immigration reform measure in which he called on “people of good faith on both sides of the aisle” to pass a bill “that allows those that are here illegally to come in out of the shadows.”

That is specifically talking about giving some kind of legal status to illegal aliens.  If you watch the clip, he was disheveled when trying to answer the questions on this issue.  That's the only time I've ever seen him ruffled. 

James

« Reply #941 on: December 31, 2015, 12:35:10 PM »
I like Cruz, but he is trying to spin his comments.  Here is what he said:  

That is specifically talking about giving some kind of legal status to illegal aliens.  If you watch the clip, he was disheveled when trying to answer the questions on this issue.  That's the only time I've ever seen him ruffled.  

The truth is all Cruz was doing with the above statement was promoting his poison pill as a way to prove that the gang of 8 was nothing more than granting amnesty to illegals (as he knew the gang of 8 would not vote for his amendment)

Cruz was calling their bluff, and if you dont see that then you are beyond help and deserve another liar Rino.

also Cruz was not "disheveled" but in utter disbeilef in

Once again listen to Jeff Session's own words on the matter:

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #942 on: December 31, 2015, 12:45:10 PM »
The truth is all Cruz was doing with the above statement was promoting his poison pill as a way to prove that the gang of 8 was nothing more than granting amnesty to illegals (as he knew the gang of 8 would not vote for his amendment)

Cruz was calling their bluff, and if you dont see that then you are beyond help and deserve another liar Rino.

Once again listen to Jeff Session's own words on the matter:

I listened the clip.  Sessions doesn't say it was a poison pill.  I recall Cruz saying it wasn't a poison pill. 

What do you think Cruz meant when he said it 2013 when talking about the bill that his amendment would "allow those who are here illegally to come out  of the shadows"?

James

« Reply #943 on: December 31, 2015, 12:51:41 PM »
I listened the clip.  Sessions doesn't say it was a poison pill.  I recall Cruz saying it wasn't a poison pill.  

What do you think Cruz meant when he said it 2013 when talking about the bill that his amendment would "allow those who are here illegally to come out  of the shadows"?

Cruz couldn't call it a poison pill at that time as that would have defeated the purpose of it, and nobody would have taken it.

Listen to what Sessions describes, that is exactly a poison pill, Sessions describes it as such with out having to call it that

BTW I feel like I am arguing with 240... (twilight zone)

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #944 on: December 31, 2015, 12:57:00 PM »
Cruz couldn't call it a poison pill as that would have defeated the purpose of it, and nobody would have taken it.

Listen to what Sessions describes, that is exactly a poison pill, Sessions describes it as such with out having to call it that.

BTW I feel like I am arguing with 240... (twilight zone)

What do you think Cruz meant when he said in 2013 when talking about the bill that his amendment would "allow those who are here illegally to come out  of the shadows"?

James

« Reply #945 on: December 31, 2015, 01:00:48 PM »
What do you think Cruz meant when he said in 2013 when talking about the bill that his amendment would "allow those who are here illegally to come out  of the shadows"?

it was only to promote his poison pill and nothing more, as rubio was out there saying it was not about amnesty, so Cruz said well OK then let remove the amnesty part from your Bill knowing they would say 'no" as he knew that the only one and true purpose of the gang of 8 Bill was amnesty the (right to vote)... in essence a a way of calling their bluff Beachbum, a way of showing that Rubio and others were telling lies, and that it was only about Amnesty.

Ted Cruz said Friday that he proposed five amendments that would bar citizenship and other benefits for illegal immigrants as a "poison pill" to kill rival Marco Rubio's "Gang of Eight" legislation in 2013.

http://www.newsmax.com/Newsfront/ted-cruz-poison-bill-amendments-killed/2015/12/18/id/706450/

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #946 on: December 31, 2015, 01:04:57 PM »
it was only to promote his poison pill and nothing more. as he knew that the only one and true purpose of the gang of 8 Bill was amnesty the (right to vote)... in essence a a way of calling their bluff Beachbum, a way of showing that  Rubio and other were telling lies, and that  it was only about Amnesty.

Ted Cruz said Friday that he proposed five amendments that would bar citizenship and other benefits for illegal immigrants as a "poison pill" to kill rival Marco Rubio's "Gang of Eight" legislation in 2013.

http://www.newsmax.com/Newsfront/ted-cruz-poison-bill-amendments-killed/2015/12/18/id/706450/

So you think Cruz promoted amnesty, but was being dishonest about it for political purposes? 

James

« Reply #947 on: December 31, 2015, 01:05:29 PM »
So you think Cruz promoted amnesty, but was being dishonest about it for political purposes?  

are your serious?

Now I know your account was hijacked.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #948 on: December 31, 2015, 01:10:53 PM »
are your serious?

You didn't directly answer the question about what his statement means:  "allow those who are here illegally to come out of the shadows."

I'm assuming you agree that statement clearly talks about amnesty.  You said the preceding statement "was only to promote his poison pill and nothing more."  In other words, aren't you acknowledging that he made a false statement supporting amnesty to try and kill the bill? 

James

« Reply #949 on: December 31, 2015, 01:13:39 PM »
You didn't directly answer the question about what his statement means:  "allow those who are here illegally to come out of the shadows."

Rubio and the other gang of 8 were out there saying the Bill's main purpose was about security and about making illegal immigrants into legal immigrants, and not truly for the purpose of granting amnesty and all Cruz did was show them to be full of shit by putting forth an amendment (poison pill) to remove the amnesty part of the gang of 8 Bill knowing they would not be for it, in essence calling their bluff, saying "well if its only about getting them to come out of the shadows then lets remove the citizenship part of your bill so they can still become legal but never have a right to vote", knowing they (rinos and libs) would vote it down and in the end could show that the Bill was only about the end result of granting amnesty (citizenship to illegals) and nothing more and all Cruz did was put forth an amendment as a way of defeating the entire gang of 8 bill, and as Sessions said everyone knows that, including Rubio, and also including Fox news.