Author Topic: Marriage Minded Gays 1. Fundie Christian Court Clerks 0.  (Read 34970 times)

TuHolmes

• Getbig V
  • Darkness is fated to eventually be destroyed...
Re: Marriage Minded Gays 1. Fundie Christian Court Clerks 0.
« Reply #50 on: September 03, 2015, 01:18:39 PM »
her son was working for her, in a govt job.   He's making a stink, not about the nepotism and possible rules violation of being your son's supervisor, but because he is now doing the same refusal.

shes gonna get paid tho, fox will love her.

He will end up in jail too.

It's going to be one big jailbird family.

Interesting how if some people go against a court order they are animals or criminals. These people do it and they are following their conscience.

240 is Back

• Getbig V
  • Complete website for only $300- www.300website.com
« Reply #51 on: September 03, 2015, 01:27:01 PM »
He will end up in jail too.

It's going to be one big jailbird family.

Interesting how if some people go against a court order they are animals or criminals. These people do it and they are following their conscience.

just like the 'tea partiers' are rationalizing Trump's liberalism because they need heroes...

the repubs also need their palins.  Cause there are literally tens of millions of low-education, low-income, low-dental republican voters that completely relate to this unkempt woman, her bastard child, and her proud disuse of hygienic products, along with her marriage beliefs.

Especially virulent are those in their own 4th marriage (just like her), screaming about how others don't respect it.  *shudder*

chadstallion

• Getbig IV
« Reply #52 on: September 03, 2015, 01:55:32 PM »
Usually, people in jail 'find' religion.

Wonder what she'll discover? ;)
w

240 is Back

• Getbig V
  • Complete website for only $300- www.300website.com

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
  • I am. The most interesting man in the world. (Not)
« Reply #54 on: September 03, 2015, 02:48:47 PM »
My question is:  who is signing the licenses now that she is in jail, and why couldn't they just have that same person sign them as an accommodation of her religious beliefs?  Sad day in America when someone gets sent to jail over something like this.   :-\

EXCLUSIVE: Kentucky Clerk: 'This is a fight worth fighting'
By Todd Starnes 
Published September 03, 2015 
FoxNews.com

Sept. 1, 2015: Rowan County Clerk Kim Davis listens to a customer following her office's refusal to issue marriage licenses at the Rowan County Courthouse in Morehead, Ky. Although her appeal to the U.S. Supreme Court was denied, Davis still refuses to issue marriage licenses.

UPDATE: A federal judge has ordered a defiant Kentucky clerk to jail after she refused to issue marriage licenses to gay couples.

U.S. District Judge David Bunning told Rowan County Clerk Kim Davis she would be jailed until she complied with his order to issue the licenses. Davis said "thank you" before she was led out of the courtroom by a U.S. marshal. She was not in handcuffs.

Bunning also warned deputy clerks around the state that they could suffer the same fate should they refuse to issue marriage licenses to gay couples.

Davis has refused to issue marriages licenses for two months since the Supreme Court legalized gay marriage. She argues that her Christian faith should exempt her from signing the licenses.

I’m very steadfast in what I believe. I don’t leave my conscience and my Christian soul out in my vehicle and come in here and pretend to be something I’m not. It’s easy to talk the talk, but can you walk the walk?

- Kim Davis, clerk of Rowan County, Kentucky
Liberty Counsel attorney Mat Staver, who is representing Davis,  called the ruling “outrageous.”

“If this country has come to this point where a judge jails someone like Kim Davis for their religious convictions – then we have lost our religious liberty,” Staver told me.

He said Davis will be fingerprinted and photographed “just like a criminal.”

“This cannot be tolerated,” he said. “This is ultimately going to spark a huge debate around the country. This is not the kind of country – this is not the America that our founders envisioned.”

The Associated Press contributed to this report.

Kim Davis could become the first Christian in America jailed as a result of the Supreme Court decision legalizing gay marriage.

“I’ve weighed the cost and I’m prepared to go to jail, I sure am,” Mrs. Davis told me in an exclusive interview. “This has never been a gay or lesbian issue for me. This is about upholding the word of God.”

“This is a heaven or hell issue for me and for every other Christian that believes,” she said. “This is a fight worth fighting.”

Davis is the clerk of Rowan County, Ky. – a small patch of earth in the northeastern part of the state. She was elected last November – taking the place of her mother, who held the position for nearly 40 years.

It’s fair to say that issuing marriage licenses was something of a family business – until the day the Supreme Court legalized gay marriage.

Davis is a devout Apostolic Christian, and she knew that should gay marriage become legal, she could not and would not sign her name on a same-sex marriage certificate.

“I would have to either make a decision to stand or I would have to buckle down and leave,” she said, pondering her choices. “And if I left, resigned or chose to retire, I would have no voice for God’s word.

So when that day came, she issued an edict: No more marriage licenses would be issued in Rowan County. It was a decision that would bring down the wrath of militant LGBT activists and their supporters.

“They told my husband they were going to burn us down while we slept in our home,” she said. “He’s been told that he would be beaten up and tied up and made to watch them rape me. I have been told that gays should kill me.”

Liberty Counsel, the public interest law firm that represents Davis, says forcing her to issue same-sex marriage licenses violates her religious beliefs. But the courts don’t seem interested in that argument.

A federal judge ordered her to issue the licenses, an appeals court upheld that decision and the U.S. Supreme Court declined to intervene. Should Davis continue to defy the law, she could be fined or sent to jail.

No matter what the court decides, Davis says she will not violate her religious beliefs – and she will not resign her post.

“I’m very steadfast in what I believe,” she told me. “I don’t leave my conscience and my Christian soul out in my vehicle and come in here and pretend to be something I’m not. It’s easy to talk the talk, but can you walk the walk?”

The mainstream media and the activists have been ruthless. They’ve portrayed her as a monster – a right-wing, homophobic hypocrite. She’s been smeared by tabloid-style reports on her checkered past. They’ve written extensively about her failed marriages.

It’s true, she’s been married four times. But what’s missing in the mainstream media coverage is the context. Her life was radically changed by Jesus Christ in 2011, and since then she has become a different person.

“My God in heaven knows every crack, every crevice, every deep place in my heart,” she said. “And he knows the thoughts that are in my mind before I even think them. And he has given me such a beautiful and wonderful grace through all of this.”

She once lived for the devil, but now she lives for God. She’s a sinner saved by grace.

“I had created such a pit of sin for myself with my very own hands,” she told me.

So how does she handle the reporters and talking heads who call her a hypocrite?

“All I can say to them is if they have a sordid past like what I had, they too can receive the cleansing and renewing, and they can start a fresh life and they can be different,” she said. “They don’t have to remain in their sin, there’s hope for tomorrow.”

Davis did not seek the national spotlight. She had no intention of becoming a spokeswoman for religious liberty, and she bristles at the idea that she is a hero of the faith.

“I’m just a vessel God has chosen for this time and this place,” she said. “I’m no different than any other Christian. It was my appointed time to stand, and their time will come.”

http://www.foxnews.com/opinion/2015/09/03/kentucky-clerk-am-prepared-to-go-to-jail.html?intcmp=hpbt3

LurkerNoMore

• Getbig V
  • Dumb people think Trump is smart.
« Reply #56 on: September 03, 2015, 02:54:19 PM »
My question is:  who is signing the licenses now that she is in jail, and why couldn't they just have that same person sign them as an accommodation of her religious beliefs?  Sad day in America when someone gets sent to jail over something like this.   :-\

Yeah, it's really a sad day when you defy the legal system and ignore a judge's orders and then get - surprise!! - jailed for contempt of court.  

Sad day indeed, since that never really happens to anyone else.

LurkerNoMore

• Getbig V
« Reply #57 on: September 03, 2015, 02:56:49 PM »
Usually, people in jail 'find' religion.

Wonder what she'll discover? ;)

She's probably sitting there wringing her hands wondering why God is allowing her to sit in jail when she could be enforcing his authority over other people. 

Obviously, God is "testing" her and as soon as her faith is proven he will swoop in and save her.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #58 on: September 03, 2015, 02:57:05 PM »
My question is:  who is signing the licenses now that she is in jail, and why couldn't they just have that same person sign them as an accommodation of her religious beliefs?  Sad day in America when someone gets sent to jail over something like this.   :-\

if this woman was Islamic and defending an Islamic conviction would you be of the same opinion?

If she was Islamic and asking for a reasonable accommodation, I'd be asking the same question.  

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #59 on: September 03, 2015, 02:57:47 PM »
Yeah, it's really a sad day when you defy the legal system and ignore a judge's orders and then get - surprise!! - jailed for contempt of court.  

Sad day indeed, since that never really happens to anyone else.

You're right that this has never happened to anyone else.  At least that's what the story says.  Sad day indeed. 

LurkerNoMore

• Getbig V
« Reply #60 on: September 03, 2015, 02:59:57 PM »
You're right that this has never happened to anyone else.  At least that's what the story says.  Sad day indeed. 

Really?  I am sure people go to jail for contempt of court every day. 

She doesn't need a reasonable accommodation.  She needs to do her job.  She was elected to perform civil duties, not religious ones.  I don't see anywhere in her history when her "faith" was interfering with her issuing licenses to atheists and non Christians. 

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #61 on: September 03, 2015, 03:01:20 PM »
Really?  I am sure people go to jail for contempt of court every day. 

She doesn't need a reasonable accommodation.  She needs to do her job.  She was elected to perform civil duties, not religious ones.  I don't see anywhere in her history when her "faith" was interfering with her issuing licenses to atheists and non Christians. 

Yes, really.  First person to be jailed over this same sex marriage issue. 

Yes, they should try and reasonably accommodate her.  We'll see how this plays out. 

TuHolmes

• Getbig V
« Reply #62 on: September 03, 2015, 03:03:29 PM »
Yes, really.  First person to be jailed over this same sex marriage issue. 

Yes, they should try and reasonably accommodate her.  We'll see how this plays out. 

She was jailed for contempt of court.

Something that happens EVERY day.

You know this...

Way to delete my completely valid post.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #63 on: September 03, 2015, 03:05:54 PM »
She was jailed for contempt of court.

Something that happens EVERY day.

You know this...

Way to delete my completely valid post.

You might have another short stay on the board.  Follow the rules and you'll be fine.  Violate them and you are gone. 

Regarding your "valid post," obviously she was jailed for contempt.  The question is why didn't they try and accommodate her.  The fix was apparently pretty easy, since the licenses are now being issued. 

Straw Man

• Getbig V
  • one dwells in nirvana
« Reply #64 on: September 03, 2015, 03:08:26 PM »
You might have another short stay on the board.  Follow the rules and you'll be fine.  Violate them and you are gone. 

Regarding your "valid post," obviously she was jailed for contempt.  The question is why didn't they try and accommodate her.  The fix was apparently pretty easy, since the licenses are now being issued. 

You've got to be joking.
When have you ever cared about the rules on this board....other than selectively of course.

TuHolmes

• Getbig V
« Reply #65 on: September 03, 2015, 03:10:21 PM »
You might have another short stay on the board.  Follow the rules and you'll be fine.  Violate them and you are gone.  

Regarding your "valid post," obviously she was jailed for contempt.  The question is why didn't they try and accommodate her.  The fix was apparently pretty easy, since the licenses are now being issued.  

Short stay on the board? Hah... Dude, please... I left on my own because most of the people who comment are so close minded it's like talking to a wall. You didn't do anything, so let's get that straight.

What rule did I break then? Please enlighten me as to what rule the post broke.

There is no accommodating criminals... She didn't do as the court ordered. She goes to jail.

That's how it works.

Straw Man

• Getbig V
  • one dwells in nirvana
« Reply #66 on: September 03, 2015, 03:11:12 PM »

They did accommodate her.

They told her to do her job or face fines or jail.

The judge did the right thing by not wasting time with fines which would have done nothing

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #67 on: September 03, 2015, 03:12:10 PM »
Short stay on the board? Hah... Dude, please... I left on my own... you didn't do anything, so let's get that straight.

What rule did I break then? Please enlighten me as to what rule the post broke.

There is no accommodating criminals... She didn't do as the court ordered. She goes to jail.

That's how it works.

::)  Whatever.  You're smart enough to follow the rules.    

Yes she is in jail.  Whether she has a valid religious freedom claim remains to be seen.  

TuHolmes

• Getbig V
« Reply #68 on: September 03, 2015, 03:13:36 PM »
::)  Whatever.  You're smart enough to follow the rules.    

Yes she is in jail.  Whether she has a valid religious freedom claim remains to be seen.  

As I said Mr. Rolley Eyes... what rule did my previous post break?

If you can't tell me, then how am I to not break the aforementioned rule again?

She has no claim as there is a separation of church and state. If she can not separate her job from her religious views, then she should not have that position.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #69 on: September 03, 2015, 03:13:54 PM »
the fundamental issue at stake here is whither an individuals conscience prevails over the law of the land and if it does at what stage does law become irrelevant

I agree in part.  What we have seen all over the place is this whole sexual orientation lobby trying to steamroll people.  In Hawaii, they didn't even want to give pastors religious exemptions from performing gay weddings.  That's how extreme they are.

TuHolmes

• Getbig V
« Reply #70 on: September 03, 2015, 03:15:32 PM »
I agree in part.  What we have seen all over the place is this whole sexual orientation lobby trying to steamroll people.  In Hawaii, they didn't even want to give pastors religious exemptions from performing gay weddings.  That's how extreme they are.

That is ridiculous of course... They are pastors and can choose to not marry who they want.

Anyone can choose to not marry someone. I can legally marry people, but I turn them down all of the time because I don't have time or whatever.

What you can't do is deny someone the legal right to get married.

They are obviously two different things and if people can not see that, then those people on either side of the issue are idiots.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #71 on: September 03, 2015, 03:16:21 PM »
As I said Mr. Rolley Eyes... what rule did my previous post break?

If you can't tell me, then how am I to not break the aforementioned rule again?

She has no claim as there is a separation of church and state. If she can not separate her job from her religious views, then she should not have that position.

As I said Mr. Playing Dumb, you're a smart guy.   :)

As I said earlier, this has nothing to do with separation of church and state.  It's about the free exercise of religion.  Employees have their religious practices accommodated all the time in the workplace.  I don't see this situation as much different, unless a reasonable accommodation wasn't available.  

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #72 on: September 03, 2015, 03:18:15 PM »
That is ridiculous of course... They are pastors and can choose to not marry who they want.

Anyone can choose to not marry someone. I can legally marry people, but I turn them down all of the time because I don't have time or whatever.

What you can't do is deny someone the legal right to get married.

They are obviously two different things and if people can not see that, then those people on either side of the issue are idiots.

Of course it's ridiculous, but that's the mindset we are dealing with.  There is a segment of the population who really don't believe in the First Amendment.  

I agree people cannot be denied the right to get married.  

TuHolmes

• Getbig V
« Reply #73 on: September 03, 2015, 03:18:23 PM »
As I said Mr. Playing Dumb, you're a smart guy.   :)

As I said earlier, this has nothing to do with separation of church and state.  It's about the free exercise of religion.  Employees have their religious practices accommodated all the time in the workplace.  I don't see this situation as much different, unless a reasonable accommodation wasn't available.  

So you're saying you aren't going to tell me what rule I broke then?

Ok.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #74 on: September 03, 2015, 03:19:42 PM »
So you're saying you aren't going to tell me what rule I broke then?

Ok.

::)