Author Topic: This Study Could Be 'Scientific Nail in the Coffin' for Masks  (Read 1931 times)

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
  • I am. The most interesting man in the world. (Not)
This Study Could Be 'Scientific Nail in the Coffin' for Masks
« on: February 07, 2023, 12:34:15 PM »
Follow the science.

Masks make 'no difference,' according to study by world-renowned medical database

A masked elementary student / Getty Images
Aaron Sibarium
February 6, 2023

One of the largest and most comprehensive studies on the effectiveness of masks found they do almost nothing to reduce the spread of respiratory viruses.

The study reviewed 78 randomized control trials—experiments that have long been considered "the gold standard" for medicine—which assessed the effectiveness of face masks against flu, COVID-19, and similar illnesses. It found that wearing masks "probably makes little or no difference" for the general public, no matter what kind of mask is used. Even N95 masks, considered the most effective at filtering airborne particles, showed no clear benefit for health care workers.

The study was published on January 30 by the Cochrane Library, a world-renowned medical database that is famous for its high-quality evidence reviews. It comes as a battering ram to the recommendations of the U.S. public health establishment, which urged children as young as two to wear masks throughout the pandemic.

"This amounts to the scientific nail in the coffin for mask mandates," said Kristen Walsh, a clinical professor of pediatrics in Morristown, New Jersey. "I just can't wrap my mind around the fact that some schools are still actively forcing children to wear masks, much less children who need to see faces to learn."

Though most Western countries opted against masking kids—in part due to concerns about speech and social development—many blue school districts mandated face coverings for toddlers, citing guidance from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention and the American Academy of Pediatrics.

Both organizations have maintained the masks are effective at curbing COVID-19, including in schools. But the guidance was typically based on weak studies with small sample sizes and few controls, limitations that critics said biased their findings. Many of the studies just compared places with mask mandates with those without them, making it hard to sort out whether it was masks that reduced COVID or other factors, such as that COVID-cautious people were more likely to wear masks.

The sorts of experiments Cochrane canvassed—in which subjects were chosen at random to receive masks—were designed to avoid that problem. They helped researchers isolate the effects of masks from the caution levels of the people wearing them, providing a clearer picture of how well the masks themselves work.

That makes the Cochrane review, which is based exclusively on randomized trials, far more rigorous than the studies typically cited in defense of masks.

"Not all evidence is the same," Vinay Prasad, an epidemiologist at the University of California, San Francisco, wrote in a Substack post about the review. Randomized control trials "are imperative for recommendations that span years, or longer."

More than two years after the start of the pandemic, some schools are still requiring masks. School districts in Massachusetts, Michigan, New Jersey, and Pennsylvania reimposed mask mandates in January amid a spike in respiratory illnesses. The mandates came after the CDC warned of a "tridemic" of COVID, flu, and RSV, though cases of all three illnesses have significantly declined.

As of this writing, no major media outlets have covered the Cochrane review. It's a sharp contrast to the reception of other, more pro-mask studies, which were the subject of glowing write-ups in the New York Times, the Atlantic, and the Washington Post.

https://freebeacon.com/coronavirus/this-study-could-be-scientific-nail-in-the-coffin-for-masks/

Primemuscle

• Getbig V
Re: This Study Could Be 'Scientific Nail in the Coffin' for Masks
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2023, 03:11:46 PM »
Follow the science.

Masks make 'no difference,' according to study by world-renowned medical database

A masked elementary student / Getty Images
Aaron Sibarium
February 6, 2023

One of the largest and most comprehensive studies on the effectiveness of masks found they do almost nothing to reduce the spread of respiratory viruses.

The study reviewed 78 randomized control trials—experiments that have long been considered "the gold standard" for medicine—which assessed the effectiveness of face masks against flu, COVID-19, and similar illnesses. It found that wearing masks "probably makes little or no difference" for the general public, no matter what kind of mask is used. Even N95 masks, considered the most effective at filtering airborne particles, showed no clear benefit for health care workers.

The study was published on January 30 by the Cochrane Library, a world-renowned medical database that is famous for its high-quality evidence reviews. It comes as a battering ram to the recommendations of the U.S. public health establishment, which urged children as young as two to wear masks throughout the pandemic.

"This amounts to the scientific nail in the coffin for mask mandates," said Kristen Walsh, a clinical professor of pediatrics in Morristown, New Jersey. "I just can't wrap my mind around the fact that some schools are still actively forcing children to wear masks, much less children who need to see faces to learn."

Though most Western countries opted against masking kids—in part due to concerns about speech and social development—many blue school districts mandated face coverings for toddlers, citing guidance from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention and the American Academy of Pediatrics.

Both organizations have maintained the masks are effective at curbing COVID-19, including in schools. But the guidance was typically based on weak studies with small sample sizes and few controls, limitations that critics said biased their findings. Many of the studies just compared places with mask mandates with those without them, making it hard to sort out whether it was masks that reduced COVID or other factors, such as that COVID-cautious people were more likely to wear masks.

The sorts of experiments Cochrane canvassed—in which subjects were chosen at random to receive masks—were designed to avoid that problem. They helped researchers isolate the effects of masks from the caution levels of the people wearing them, providing a clearer picture of how well the masks themselves work.

That makes the Cochrane review, which is based exclusively on randomized trials, far more rigorous than the studies typically cited in defense of masks.

"Not all evidence is the same," Vinay Prasad, an epidemiologist at the University of California, San Francisco, wrote in a Substack post about the review. Randomized control trials "are imperative for recommendations that span years, or longer."

More than two years after the start of the pandemic, some schools are still requiring masks. School districts in Massachusetts, Michigan, New Jersey, and Pennsylvania reimposed mask mandates in January amid a spike in respiratory illnesses. The mandates came after the CDC warned of a "tridemic" of COVID, flu, and RSV, though cases of all three illnesses have significantly declined.

As of this writing, no major media outlets have covered the Cochrane review. It's a sharp contrast to the reception of other, more pro-mask studies, which were the subject of glowing write-ups in the New York Times, the Atlantic, and the Washington Post.

https://freebeacon.com/coronavirus/this-study-could-be-scientific-nail-in-the-coffin-for-masks/

If you believe this, then don't wear a mask. Problem solved!

loco

• Getbig V
  • loco like a fox
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2023, 03:19:42 PM »

Wayne Tracker

• Getbig III
  • Getbig!
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2023, 03:32:27 PM »
For anyone who doesn't want the opinion of an author from the conservative political website the Free Beacon can read the actual study here
https://www.cochranelibrary.com/cdsr/doi/10.1002/14651858.CD006207.pub6/full

The authors conclusions are below and, no surprise, are not quite as definitive as the title of the article implies

Authors' conclusions

The high risk of bias in the trials, variation in outcome measurement, and relatively low adherence with the interventions during the studies hampers drawing firm conclusions. There were additional RCTs during the pandemic related to physical interventions but a relative paucity given the importance of the question of masking and its relative effectiveness and the concomitant measures of mask adherence which would be highly relevant to the measurement of effectiveness, especially in the elderly and in young children.

There is uncertainty about the effects of face masks. The low to moderate certainty of evidence means our confidence in the effect estimate is limited, and that the true effect may be different from the observed estimate of the effect. The pooled results of RCTs did not show a clear reduction in respiratory viral infection with the use of medical/surgical masks. There were no clear differences between the use of medical/surgical masks compared with N95/P2 respirators in healthcare workers when used in routine care to reduce respiratory viral infection. Hand hygiene is likely to modestly reduce the burden of respiratory illness, and although this effect was also present when ILI and laboratory‐confirmed influenza were analysed separately, it was not found to be a significant difference for the latter two outcomes. Harms associated with physical interventions were under‐investigated.

There is a need for large, well‐designed RCTs addressing the effectiveness of many of these interventions in multiple settings and populations, as well as the impact of adherence on effectiveness, especially in those most at risk of ARIs.

https://www.cochranelibrary.com/cdsr/doi/10.1002/14651858.CD006207.pub6/full

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2023, 04:19:42 PM »

Except faux science is the basis for mask mandates, so it's not as simple as choosing not to wear one.  What we did to kids in the name of faux science is criminal. 

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2023, 09:17:21 PM »
Researchers: City-wide vaccine mandates did nothing to stop the spread of COVID-19
By Casey Harper | The Center Square
https://www.thecentersquare.com/national/article_1d103f8a-b230-11ed-a97a-9b70d9f3d1f8.html?utm_source=offthepress&utm_medium=home

Prayer Warrior

• Getbig III
  • Getbig!
« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2023, 11:15:59 PM »
I hope that mask and vaccine pushers will be executed

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2023, 04:34:07 PM »
Masks worked. They just didn't stop covid
Feb 24, 2023
https://donsurber.substack.com/p/oh-the-masks-worked

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #8 on: February 27, 2023, 04:38:33 PM »
Conspiracy theory no more: Energy Department latest to conclude COVID likely came from lab leak
The department, which oversees a network of U.S. laboratories, said the decision was made with "low confidence."
By Madeleine Hubbard
Updated: February 27, 2023
https://justthenews.com/politics-policy/coronavirus/energy-department-concludes-covid-likely-came-lab-leak-report

jude2

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #9 on: February 27, 2023, 05:34:08 PM »
Conspiracy theory no more: Energy Department latest to conclude COVID likely came from lab leak
The department, which oversees a network of U.S. laboratories, said the decision was made with "low confidence."
By Madeleine Hubbard
Updated: February 27, 2023
https://justthenews.com/politics-policy/coronavirus/energy-department-concludes-covid-likely-came-lab-leak-report
Biden's adminstration is still trying to deny this fact that we have known for years.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #10 on: March 03, 2023, 01:36:28 PM »
Biden's adminstration is still trying to deny this fact that we have known for years.

Bunch of incompetent liars.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #11 on: March 03, 2023, 01:37:05 PM »
Thank you Captain Obvious.

FBI Director Chris Wray says COVID-19 virus likely came from a lab leak in China
"The FBI has for quite some time now assessed that the origins of the pandemic are most likely a potential lab incident in Wuhan," Wray said.
By Charlotte Hazard
Updated: February 28, 2023
https://justthenews.com/government/federal-agencies/fbi-director-chris-wray-says-covid-19-virus-likely-came-wuhan-lab

IroNat

• Getbig V
  • The only constant in life is change. – Heraclitus
« Reply #12 on: March 03, 2023, 01:42:05 PM »
Went in my local library yesterday and the two people working the checkout were wearing masks.

I could tell they were hopeless libtards.

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • Doesnt lie about lifting.
« Reply #13 on: March 03, 2023, 01:54:36 PM »

Hey gay fat old senile FOOL - you bought into all this - own it. 

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #14 on: March 03, 2023, 01:58:26 PM »
Went in my local library yesterday and the two people working the checkout were wearing masks.

I could tell they were hopeless libtards.

I still see people wearing them outside.

deadz

• Getbig V
  • Liberals..Dumbest People on the Planet! MAGA
« Reply #15 on: March 03, 2023, 03:06:00 PM »
I hope that mask and vaccine pushers will be executed
Indeed!
T

chaos

• Getbig V
  • Ron "There is no freedom of speech here" Avidan
« Reply #16 on: March 03, 2023, 04:53:55 PM »
I still see people wearing them outside.
To see people in cars alone or standing at a bus stop alone while wearing a mask is one sad sight.
Liar!!!!Filt!!!!

Humble Narcissist

• Getbig V
« Reply #17 on: March 04, 2023, 01:32:28 AM »
To see people in cars alone or standing at a bus stop alone while wearing a mask is one sad sight.
Or walking alone in a park or even jogging! alone with a mask. Some very stupid people followed "the science."

funk51

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #18 on: March 04, 2023, 06:20:13 AM »

I was against masks from the start, but a lot of fugly people looked better with them on. ::)
F

Primemuscle

• Getbig V
« Reply #19 on: March 04, 2023, 02:10:07 PM »
This thread isn't even good for a laugh. Nothing new, just the same old arguments... wear a mask, don't wear a mask, masks work, masks are face diapers.

Guess no one here noticed that most people aren't bothering with masks these days. Maybe because they aren't mandated except under certain circumstances. On April 3rd Oregon is lifting mask requirement for healthcare settings. Yeah! Safeway pharmacy has not been requiring them for months.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #20 on: March 10, 2023, 08:32:33 PM »
This thread isn't even good for a laugh. Nothing new, just the same old arguments... wear a mask, don't wear a mask, masks work, masks are face diapers.

Guess no one here noticed that most people aren't bothering with masks these days. Maybe because they aren't mandated except under certain circumstances. On April 3rd Oregon is lifting mask requirement for healthcare settings. Yeah! Safeway pharmacy has been requiring them for months.

What is funny about unscientific mask mandates? 

You're obviously not interested in this subject, because it doesn't support your confirmation bias.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #21 on: March 10, 2023, 08:36:51 PM »
Former CDC Director Dr. Robert Redfield Lays Out Three Red Flags That Point To Lab Leak
NEWS AND COMMENTARY WRITER
March 08, 2023
https://dailycaller.com/2023/03/08/former-cdc-director-lays-out-three-red-flags-point-lab-leak-robert-redfield/?utm_source=referral&utm_medium=offthepress&utm_campaign=home

jude2

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #22 on: March 11, 2023, 11:48:56 AM »
Former CDC Director Dr. Robert Redfield Lays Out Three Red Flags That Point To Lab Leak
NEWS AND COMMENTARY WRITER
March 08, 2023
https://dailycaller.com/2023/03/08/former-cdc-director-lays-out-three-red-flags-point-lab-leak-robert-redfield/?utm_source=referral&utm_medium=offthepress&utm_campaign=home
I wonder if one day the media will admit they were totally wrong and Trump was correct on this.

Primemuscle

• Getbig V
« Reply #23 on: March 11, 2023, 12:05:10 PM »
What is funny about unscientific mask mandates? 

You're obviously not interested in this subject, because it doesn't support your confirmation bias.

And what would my confirmation bias be in your opinion? What is your confirmation bias and has there been new evidence to support it?

illuminati

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • The Strongest Shall Survive.- - Lest we Forget.
« Reply #24 on: March 12, 2023, 12:28:16 AM »

Or walking alone in a park or even jogging! alone with a mask. Some very stupid people followed "the science."

How does anyone with a Rational functioning brain manage to get to that level of utter stupidity
& be evidently happy to openly show their stupidity 🙄 They're complete Clowns 🤡

I can't help but wonder how many of the same idiotic clowns would also of worn large pointy hats
With idiot or a big D printed on them for their health had they been mandated / recommended by CDC & Fuckboy , guaranteed many would've & a few would be on here defending the hats & their benefits .

😆😂🤣😂🤣😆 Clowns in a clown 🤡 world .