Author Topic: Milos: Giant Set Routine  (Read 4023 times)

Van_Bilderass

• Getbig V
  • "Don't Try"
Re: Milos: Giant Set Routine
« Reply #25 on: November 13, 2007, 03:53:38 PM »
As always - EVEN IF YOU HAVE AN IDEA - IT IS THE WRONG ONE COACH....

Physiological explanation of why I have people (myself included) train that way?
Only because I am convinced that this kind of training IS the most intense and the hardest way to train - resulting with greatest muscle fiber stimulation...(exact physiological reason we do exercise in the first place ::). Now, difference is - some of us like to do things ALL THE WAY...and some don't...Some like to compete....and some want to win...etc)

Poor Coach...but when you are at the subject - why 30 exercises for lets say chest would be useless WITHOUT IT (what is IT? ::)) and how does IT make a difference?
Care to elaborate?
You have said that you respect Charles Poliquin for his knowledge. Why doesn't he prescribe this type of training for hypertrophy? Even he says tension is very important, and that advanced trainees can use/need lower rep ranges for growth.

The Squadfather

• Getbig V
« Reply #26 on: November 13, 2007, 03:55:05 PM »
You have said that you respect Charles Poliquin for his knowledge. Why doesn't he prescribe this type of training for hypertrophy? Even he says tension is very important, and that advanced trainees can use/need lower rep ranges for growth.
Poliquin has said himself that he'd be 120 pounds if he trained like that.

Van_Bilderass

• Getbig V
  • "Don't Try"
« Reply #27 on: November 13, 2007, 03:58:05 PM »
hahahahhaa, of course he would, i love it, "hey Ronnie stop deadlifting 800 for 2 and benching 500 for 5 and do a giant set for triceps with 55 pound barbell extensions. ;D
Ronnie upped his reps, lowered the weight, and trained at home instead of at metroflex (probably ashamed to show himself at metroflex according to the metro owner). The result: way smaller.

If Milos' system is so great he should be at his biggest right now, after years of giant-setting. He isn't because he needs to up the drugs again and probably bang some heavy ass weight for that to happen.

The Squadfather

• Getbig V
« Reply #28 on: November 13, 2007, 04:01:00 PM »
Ronnie upped his reps, lowered the weight, and trained at home instead of at metroflex (probably ashamed to show himself at metroflex according to the metro owner). The result: way smaller.

If Milos' system is so great he should be at his biggest right now, after years of giant-setting. He isn't because he needs to up the drugs again and probably bang some heavy ass weight for that to happen.
for most guys the rule of Only use less weight under two circumstances, injury or horrible form is right on the money.

The Coach

« Reply #29 on: November 13, 2007, 04:03:59 PM »

On a side note, he supposedly respects John Berardi.........hey Milos, tell "JB" The Coach says Hi!!

YoungBlood

• Getbig V
  • Weee!
« Reply #30 on: November 13, 2007, 04:04:16 PM »

He does, he calls it his "volumization" phase. In an Arm routine he published- that was prescribed to Milos himself- he had you do three sets of tri-sets twice, and then another tri-set for two sets (each set counted, would be 22 sets) for each triceps and biceps. Each exercise has a specific tempo you are to do for maintaining tension on the muscle.
Then he reduces the amount of volume and you use around a 408 tempo, and this he calls "intensification."
Different, well, a twist on Milos' routine anyway. 

Poliquin has said himself that he'd be 120 pounds if he trained like that.

Cite your source. I've got many of Poliquins books, and it's not in any of 'em.
Charles is somewhat of a genius in his methods, and that all comes from having a PhD- far from your credentials. He understands that ALL methods work, and it depends on how you piece the puzzle together. 
Please let me know where you got this info SF. :)

The Squadfather

• Getbig V
« Reply #31 on: November 13, 2007, 04:07:14 PM »
He does, he calls it his "volumization" phase. In an Arm routine he published- that was prescribed to Milos himself- he had you do three sets of tri-sets twice, and then another tri-set for two sets (each set counted, would be 22 sets) for each triceps and biceps. Each exercise has a specific tempo you are to do for maintaining tension on the muscle.
Then he reduces the amount of volume and you use around a 408 tempo, and this he calls "intensification."

Cite your source. I've got many of Poliquins books, and it's not in any of 'em.
Charles is somewhat of a genius in his methods, and that all comes from having a PhD- far from your credentials. He understands that ALL methods work, and it depends on how you piece the puzzle together. 
Please let me know where you got this info SF. :)
like i said it was 4-5 years ago, Poliquin is a big believer in strength.

YoungBlood

• Getbig V
  • Weee!
« Reply #32 on: November 13, 2007, 04:11:32 PM »
like i said it was 4-5 years ago, Poliquin is a big believer in strength.

Did you ever think that you typed your response to the other persons question, while I was typing up my post? ::)
Big believer in strength yes, but he understands and respects, and values every part of training.
He'll do giant sets, single maximal sets, and everything in between in one workout- IF that persons routine/phase calls for it.

The Squadfather

• Getbig V
« Reply #33 on: November 13, 2007, 04:13:01 PM »
Did you ever think that you typed your response to the other persons question, while I was typing up my post? ::)
Big believer in strength yes, but he understands and respects, and values every part of training.
He'll do giant sets, single maximal sets, and everything in between in one workout- IF that persons routine/phase calls for it.
i don't think there's anything wrong with some giant sets, super sets, drop sets, flushing, etc. AFTER the heavy barbell training.

Van_Bilderass

• Getbig V
  • "Don't Try"
« Reply #34 on: November 13, 2007, 04:14:06 PM »
Yeah, didn't he also write the "one day arm cure"? He also believes in planned overtraining, with a rest period following to allow for adaptation. But Milos seems to only talk about giant setting all the time. No way this works if done all the time. You need some periods with higher loads etc.

YoungBlood

• Getbig V
  • Weee!
« Reply #35 on: November 13, 2007, 04:23:04 PM »
But Milos seems to only talk about giant setting all the time. No way this works if done all the time. You need some periods with higher loads etc.

I agree with the higher loads too.
I've asked Milos about how he incorporates the Giant sets into his routine a couple of times. Is it a months worth and then he backs off? Does he periodize? How do Giant Sets exactly fit into his plan?

I've never gotten an answer from him (I'm guessing it's because he's busy). I'd like for him to give a little bit of how it all works in the grand scheme of things, as I'm sure others would love too. :-\

Bluto

• Getbig V
  • Well?
« Reply #36 on: November 13, 2007, 04:57:08 PM »
bump!
Z