Author Topic: Documentaries - Discussion - Which should I watch?  (Read 383895 times)

Jack T. Cross

• Getbig V
  • Using Surveillance for Political Subversion(?)
Re: Documentary Thread
« Reply #200 on: June 17, 2015, 01:17:34 PM »
Kind of sad, kind of funny, definitely crazy. Relatives of Jackie O., a mom and daughter live out their days in a broken-down mansion. It's a drifter that requires a certain frame of mind, especially since the ladies are so touched.

Such a classic, though, it can't go without a post.

From Dame Magazine:

When Albert Maysles and his brother David released Grey Gardens, their 1975 documentary about a fallen mother-daughter duo in East Hampton, they were rightly celebrated for a hallmark work of cinema vérité. But now that “direct cinema” has been widely co-opted, most notably by reality TV, where its regular practice to leave the camera rolling for several grisly moments as various Hollywood wannabes self-sabotage, what stands out about Grey Gardens, a few days after Albert’s death, at the age of 88, is how it established that two women—aged, living in squalor, and “eccentric,” as their peers would’ve said with a raised eyebrow—were worthy of our consideration. Not as objects of scorn but of fascination. Just as worthy, it turned out, as an all-male rock band at the height of their powers, which, of course, was the subject of Gimme Shelter, the Maysles documentary about the Rolling Stones a few years earlier. They were women imprisoned by the code of their gender and the era, doomed to perform their act only for each other until the Maysles came along.

By the time the Maysles caught up with the Beale women—both named Edith Bouvier Beale, or “Big Edie” and “Little Edie,” respectively—they were the kind of faded debutantes typically passed over by the camera and real people alike. Of course, that wasn’t always the case; in the 1930s, they were socialites regaling the upper crust with the talents of the well-raised female: singing and dancing. Big Edie’s niece was Jackie Kennedy Onassis; in fact, the former First Lady (and her sister Lee Radziwill) rescued the pair when they were nearly thrown out of their 14-room manse for squalor a few years before filming started. Onassis’s financial interventions only did so much to stave off the damage inflicted by bad habits. In one of the most excruciating scenes of the film, Little Edie pours out a pile of Wonder Bread and cat food for the felines and raccoons creeping in and out of the attic.

Grey Gardens is a study in charm and decrepitude and how they coexist in two women trained to live a certain kind of high-class life. Pitching between ripe comedy and something darker, Big Edie sings an old show tune in her parlor room lilt from the filthy perch of her bed. The Beale women were the best drag performers of the era, if you believe that drag is at once a send-up and a loving homage to the trappings of womanhood. Ever aware of the costumes and performance of femininity, Little Edie especially seems at once inspired and constrained. Wrapping shirts until they become turbans, and lounging in bathing suits like they’re pajamas, she wants to change the very way female clothes function. “You can always use the skirt as a cape!” she explains about one of her get-ups. (Such inventiveness worked for Andy Warhol, who praised her wrapping style as “very glamorous.”)

Little Edie’s chafing against the norms extends far beyond clothes. In one of their endless squabbles, Big Edie accuses her daughter of squandering her marital prospects—at least one suitor’s ring was returned, though it’s also revealed that Big Edie apparently chased another one off the front porch. A free spirit who moved to New York to pursue the arts, Little Edie avoided marriage—which would’ve meant giving up her dreams—yet she still wistfully reads the description of “the Libran husband” out of an astrology book she scans with a magnifying glass. A decade or two later, Little Edie could’ve stayed in New York for that big break, and married a man. But back then, marriage meant housebound domesticity, not flights of fancy.

The great irony of Little Edie’s story is that when she moved back to Grey Gardens in 1952 after living in New York, she did enter a housebound relationship of sorts—one with her own mother. Their dynamic was saddled by competition, back-biting, and questioning who fouled up the woman script worse: Big Edie, for not having a man take care of her to the bitter end, or Little Edie, for never getting one in the first place. When the camera turns on the Beales, they compete for its attention like its an heir to the Rockefeller fortune. (By the way, one of those camera operators was a young man named George Lucas.) They hammed it up for the camera, but they were hamming it up for themselves, too, as a point of pride. Trilling or pirouetting was how they showed they were women of distinction and taste.

One of the pleasures of watching Grey Gardens now is the thrill of watching two women, in the parlance of our time, have zero fucks to give. Or is it a tragedy? Have they passed the point of caring what anyone else thinks, or are they deluded about how they appear? In the best moments, whatever it is comes off as feminism meets stiff upper lip. In one of her most passionate moments, Little Edie, adjusting one of her many head wrap–broach combos, says there’s “nothing worse than dealing with a staunch woman. They don’t weaken.”

Drag is often about being an underdog who might temporarily get knocked down by the world’s judgment and abuses but who will always get back up, lipstick smeared, wig akimbo. Hence the perennial attraction for drag performers to women who have taken some knocks and/or rose up from humble roots—Judy Garland and her daughter, Liza Minnelli; Madonna, and Beyoncé. Madonna, now 56, the same age as Little Edie in Grey Gardens, has bucked the idea that “acting her age” means no longer dancing bare-legged on stage, with several waxed-chest males on hand to writhe against. “This is me,” Madge said recently to Entertainment Tonight, “This is how I wanna be. I can do what I want, okay?”

For a moment, after her mother died in 1977, Little Edie caught a glimmer of the same kind of freedom. Working as a cabaret singer in New York, she fielded questions after her show about her life. She waved aside any notions that she was being exploited. “This is something I’ve been planning since I was 19,” she said. “I don’t care what they say about me—I’m just going to have a ball.” A few years later, she retreated to Florida where she died in 2002. One can imagine the sentiment burbling up in Little Edie in the same way if she were alive today—but she’d be freer to say it, loud and proud.

Jack T. Cross

• Getbig V
« Reply #201 on: June 17, 2015, 04:24:20 PM »
Maybe good if anyone's interested in Rasta culture. This focuses on Bunny Wailer, and his doings at home in Jamaica. A few unbelievably killer tunes thrown in by a guy named Brushy One String (named after his busted guitar):

Jack T. Cross

• Getbig V
« Reply #202 on: June 17, 2015, 04:26:03 PM »
Taken from the above. Amusing little message Bunny sends to record-producer Chris Blackwell, that includes mention of their last meeting:

Jack T. Cross

• Getbig V
« Reply #203 on: June 17, 2015, 07:47:29 PM »
It's been a long time since I've seen this one, but it's good. It's a two-part visit to the Miami jail, by Louis Theroux. Putting it back on the watchlist for down the road.

I dunno about questioning people before their situations play out, when they can be heard by the wrong people, etc. But I hope it was done in a way that didn't cause damage to them. Will watch it again soon and maybe say something about it:

Fixed

FitnessFrenzy

• Getbig V
  • evolving
« Reply #204 on: June 18, 2015, 02:04:22 AM »
Dude, can you at least give a one-sentence summary of what you're posting. It'd really help, thanks.

I will do so in the future.  :)

The Ugly

• Getbig V
« Reply #205 on: June 19, 2015, 12:38:22 AM »
I will do so in the future.  :)

Thanks. Only because they might be interesting, and we'll probably pass them by without some description.

BB

• Getbig V
  • I hope I'm not boring you.
« Reply #206 on: June 19, 2015, 03:10:24 PM »

Quality documentary on Ny's "Cannibal Cop", who's internet sexual fantasies crossed over into real life, and cause an uproar in free speech/civil liberties and law enforcement circles.

You might want to watch it quick if it interests you, as Youtube has been pulling lots of stuff the last couple of weeks.

BB

• Getbig V
« Reply #207 on: June 19, 2015, 03:23:36 PM »
Also these might interest some -

A history of combat related PTSD and the changes in perceptions and treatments of it, as told by the sufferers and medical community.

A documentary on the famous "Thrilla in Manila" fight as told by the people that were there.

Jack T. Cross

• Getbig V
« Reply #208 on: June 19, 2015, 04:22:16 PM »

Quality documentary on Ny's "Cannibal Cop", who's internet sexual fantasies crossed over into real life, and cause an uproar in free speech/civil liberties and law enforcement circles.

You might want to watch it quick if it interests you, as Youtube has been pulling lots of stuff the last couple of weeks.

x100. I've been learning this one the hard way. (If someone has legit issues, though, it's the easiest thing in the world for them to have it removed and no problem for anyone. I don't blame them.)

But you're right. The idea, I guess, is to watch something asap if you know you've got an interest. Don't rely on a watchlist in those cases.

The Ugly

• Getbig V
« Reply #209 on: June 19, 2015, 08:24:27 PM »
Man, cable took over the quality film industry. They're producing fascinating stuff, whereas Hollywood just churns out garbage anymore.

FitnessFrenzy

• Getbig V
  • evolving
« Reply #210 on: June 21, 2015, 12:25:11 PM »
Recently Peter Schiff visited Mike Maloney in California. During his stay they filmed nearly 3 hours of discussions about gold, silver, freedom, and the economy in general.

FitnessFrenzy

• Getbig V
  • evolving
« Reply #211 on: June 21, 2015, 12:33:01 PM »
Lars Seier Christensen, CEO and Founder of Saxo Bank, delivers the Adam Smith Institute's 2013 Ayn Rand Lecture at Goldsmiths Hall in the City of London.

Bigblackstallion

• Getbig III
« Reply #212 on: June 21, 2015, 10:47:29 PM »
WHAT A BUNCH OF WEAK ARSE DOCUMENTARIES  ??? ::) >:( ???

Documentaries can Change your LIFE

here are a few for the mortally unconscious

This one is called zeigtgeist, which means WHAT IS GOING ON NOW

so what the fuck is going on now??

you watch the news, see the wars OVER THERE, and negative and unhappy people everywhere

ENGINES OF DOMINATION

Political power is an unnecessary evil. ”Engines of domination”, which comes out this October 17, explains why, and makes a good argument for anarchism, as the only way out from the capitalist mess ruling elites have brought humankind. This is a discussion that ruling classes can no longer avoid.  The documentary is produced by Mark Corske, Cari-Lee Miller and Justin Jezewski.

The Ugly

• Getbig V
« Reply #213 on: June 22, 2015, 12:58:09 AM »
WHAT A BUNCH OF WEAK ARSE DOCUMENTARIES  ??? ::) >:( ???

Documentaries can Change your LIFE

here are a few for the mortally unconscious

This one is called zeigtgeist, which means WHAT IS GOING ON NOW

so what the fuck is going on now??

you watch the news, see the wars OVER THERE, and negative and unhappy people everywhere

ENGINES OF DOMINATION

Political power is an unnecessary evil. ”Engines of domination”, which comes out this October 17, explains why, and makes a good argument for anarchism, as the only way out from the capitalist mess ruling elites have brought humankind. This is a discussion that ruling classes can no longer avoid.  The documentary is produced by Mark Corske, Cari-Lee Miller and Justin Jezewski.

So, nine pages in, you decide to set us straight with some horseshit conspiracy nonsense you can't quite spell? Very well, still got a little room here for Bigfoot, Area 51, or Building 7, knock yourself out.

Jack T. Cross

• Getbig V
« Reply #214 on: June 22, 2015, 07:54:21 AM »

Anyone have anything to say about "Cannibal Cop"? (if you decide to watch it and aren't already familiar with the details, you should prepare to be in for a very, very strange story)

The Ugly

• Getbig V
« Reply #215 on: June 22, 2015, 01:18:30 PM »
Anyone have anything to say about "Cannibal Cop"? (if you decide to watch it and aren't already familiar with the details, you should prepare to be in for a very, very strange story)

Watched it, think I fell asleep before the end, though. Story is so different than the monstrous headline, don't you think?

BB

• Getbig V
« Reply #216 on: June 22, 2015, 01:49:55 PM »
On the Cannibal Cop thing, while I'm not comfortable with him in a position where he has direct power over anyone, and he deserved the stiffest penalty for using the special privileges granted him for being a cop to indulge his fantasies, I certainly don't think it rose to anything but fantasy. When I first read about it, it seemed like we caught a budding serial killer who just tripped up. In reality, he's just a creepy o, odd man.

The key to it for me is that he never did anything when pressed, and always changed the subject when his online pals were getting off on it. Also, the conversations sometimes were just so silly (e.g. the large cooking oven, etc....) that it was hard to take too seriously.

The Ugly

• Getbig V
« Reply #217 on: June 22, 2015, 01:55:04 PM »
On the Cannibal Cop thing, while I'm not comfortable in a position where he has direct power over anyone, and he deserved the stiffest penalty for using the special privileges granted him for being a cop to indulge his fantasies, I certainly don't think it rose to anything but fantasy. When I first read about it, it seemed like we caught a budding serial killer who just tripped up. In reality, he's just a creepy o, odd man.

The key to it for me is that he never did anything when pressed, and always changed the subject when his online pals were getting off on it. Also, the conversations sometimes were just so silly (e.g. the large cooking oven, etc....) that it was hard to take too seriously.

Yes, my impression as well. Just assumed the worst based on news reports.

FitnessFrenzy

• Getbig V
  • evolving
« Reply #218 on: June 22, 2015, 02:56:18 PM »
Oxyana,(2014): How once thriving coal-mining town that has fallen victim to the fast spreading scourge of prescription painkiller Oxycontin.

Jack T. Cross

• Getbig V
« Reply #219 on: June 22, 2015, 03:06:34 PM »
Watched it, think I fell asleep before the end, though. Story is so different than the monstrous headline, don't you think?

For me, there was something about seeing the guy, himself, casually talking about it that drove it in. But I'm not exactly sure yet what to think about it. He absolutely did give the appearance of going to the line and stepping his toe over it, though. And I don't feel sorry for him in the slightest. He needed his ass yanked back into reality (if that even happened for him during this mess - not convinced), so it serves him right in that sense.

You may have missed it if you fell asleep, but within his last few words of the movie he said, "I made a mistake". So since the guy seems willing to talk, it would be incredibly interesting to know how he'd define that "mistake". I would love to know that.

The Ugly

• Getbig V
« Reply #220 on: June 22, 2015, 05:13:54 PM »
For me, there was something about seeing the guy, himself, casually talking about it that drove it in. But I'm not exactly sure yet what to think about it. He absolutely did give the appearance of going to the line and stepping his toe over it, though. And I don't feel sorry for him in the slightest. He needed his ass yanked back into reality (if that even happened for him during this mess - not convinced), so it serves him right in that sense.

You may have missed it if you fell asleep, but within his last few words of the movie he said, "I made a mistake". So since the guy seems willing to talk, it would be incredibly interesting to know how he'd define that "mistake". I would love to know that.

I'll finish it up to see what I missed. Might change my opinion.

elfX

• Getbig II
« Reply #221 on: June 22, 2015, 05:18:43 PM »
This is about a guy drifting around, barely surviving by fighting and teaching others to fight. He sleeps on trains, etc., and is watching the clock run down on his life.

russia is a home for tough guys. have been there once, really insane

Jack T. Cross

• Getbig V
« Reply #222 on: June 22, 2015, 06:37:47 PM »
I'll finish it up to see what I missed. Might change my opinion.

This one really got to me, I'll tell you. As wild as it is on its surface, I can only imagine what kind of a mindfuck the backstory would be. How did this person arrive at this state of mind? Was he using meth? (Meth can lead a person into sexual weirdness that wouldn't be considered, otherwise; but this particular case seems nothing less than fully demonic.)

As far as I'm concerned, his trip to meet Kimberly and the communication surrounding it was enough to drag his ass down, and deservedly so. And the fact that he was friendly with the women versus what he wanted to experience with them was alarming beyond belief. (spolier alert: for those who havent seen it, we're talking about cutting off body parts and burning alive, etc., and details as gruesome as imaginable.)

My inclination is to say that he's been through enough now and he's learned his lesson. But I would dearly love to know where he'd claim these evil feelings have gone. They didn't just "disappear", did they?

Jack T. Cross

• Getbig V
« Reply #223 on: June 22, 2015, 06:45:37 PM »
russia is a home for tough guys. have been there once, really insane

Haha...I love that guy, yeah. Watched that one twice, I think.

BB

• Getbig V
« Reply #224 on: June 24, 2015, 02:57:58 AM »

Good, short, Swedish documentary on high level athletes and their quest for victory. Focuses on not only the physical side, psychological turmoil these folks face.