Author Topic: Investing and personal finance  (Read 185610 times)

Tapeworm

• Getbig V
  • Hold Fast
Re: Investing and personal finance
« Reply #50 on: June 29, 2016, 03:23:45 PM »
do you own property that you rent out?

No, thankfully.  I'm not a 'negative gearing' guy.  Negative gearing is the term given to losing money every month, on purpose, so that you can write off the loss as a tax deduction.  I never really understood how to write off the loss since if you're not making any money then tax liability would already be zero.  I guess they mean it's deduced against assessable income from something that actually earns money, like a job.  Or tallying up all the lost money and deducting against the later capital gain.  Kind of like tying a stone to a balloon so that you can own the stone.

Anywho, this is the logic and how pretty much every rental property works here.  The guarantee being that it's ok to lose money since you're going to cash in big when you finally sell it since real estate only ever goes up.

If I rent a place out it'll be one that I build myself for a $50k construction cost on a block I buy outright for $50k.  I don't subscribe to the debt now/profit later investment model and I don't have the stomach for it.  When I buy something I like it to be from a bleeding, drowning man who needs to be rid of it.  It was a good strategy with my machinery so I'll do the same with property.  

Not exactly a complicated smoke & mirrors approach that conjures money out of thin air like some people claim to be able to do, but I'd rather be effective than sophisticated.  Imo, how money gets generated from an investment should be immediately clear and obvious.  So much so that it's boring.  The last thing investing should be is exciting.  For some reason, people enjoy getting embroiled in wildly complex financial schemes and seem to think that the more complicated something is, the greater the can't-miss profit is going to be.  They love talking about 'how it works.'  If how it works needs explanation then it's probably not somewhere you should put your hard earned.  But wtf do I know.

Mayday

• Getbig IV
« Reply #51 on: June 29, 2016, 08:49:03 PM »
Gold and silver, I've been saying it for years....PHYSICAL. Not some bullshit on a piece of paper that will mean nothing when, not if this house of cards falls.

And physical will do what?

You do realise they are allowed.to create virtual gold/silver in the warehouses yeah?

That's how they solved the threat of collapse years ago when I was.doing my.silver trades.

Gold was close to 1800 and I bought silver at 26 and sold at 44 just before it fell.

Hasn't been.back since and each time the theory says it should spike instead they get beat down because the allowed virtual metals in warehouses.

They have spent the last 7 years rigging markets and closing loopholes. Unfortunately It's not the same game anymore. Physical is not required because delivery cannot exceed supply, they just switch to virtual delivery. They already tried to collapse the comex and came fucking close.

That's what average Joe doesn't get, the banks/Got all play together meanwhile average Joe.is clinging to rules in the previous game under the delusion that somehow they are still in play.

I thought the same as you years ago and had physical silver so it's not like I haven't been down that road. I merely adapted to the game is all.

Erik C

• Getbig IV
« Reply #52 on: June 29, 2016, 08:54:30 PM »
Physical Gold, in your possession, will be there for you when the markets, and the supply of "virtual" gold collapse. Gold isn't so much an investment, as it is insurance against a market, worst case scenario.

HTexan

• Getbig V
  • Heath must lose!!
« Reply #53 on: June 29, 2016, 10:37:52 PM »
Physical Gold, in your possession, will be there for you when the markets, and the supply of "virtual" gold collapse. Gold isn't so much an investment, as it is insurance against a market, worst case scenario.
This. Prepers stock pile the shit in their basements and worry about the worst.
A

Mayday

• Getbig IV
« Reply #54 on: June 30, 2016, 12:31:59 AM »
I discussed that with someone last weekend when peppers was on TV.

I get the argument, problem is if the monetary system.collapses the short term result is total chaos and everything devalues for average Joe. You can't use gold on the street because it has no value, can be faked, can't be weighed, it's useless.

WWII people swapped jewellery, diamonds, Gold for food and water. But diamonds are worth 2000/ct.... Nope, they are worth what the owner of the food says it's worth. This has been done before and history repeats. The rich with all the jewels and gold were instantly poor because in civilian life it's useless yet somehow people believe it's different now.....  

The biggest trick is a monetary system is based on belief.... I believe the digits in my account are money. I believe he plastic notes in my wallet is money. Everybody else around me believes it. Go and grab your Gold bar and ask the same question. If everybody aggrees (which they won't), go one further an swap $100 gold for $100 cash and.see.who takes up the offer.... NO one will. Walk into a bank, give them 100/gold and exchange for a 100note, won't happen. Today its merely a store of.value, nothing more. See my point?

Money is belief. Livestock was once money. Grain was once money. Gold was once money. Coins and paper notes are money today.

Gold has value before a collapse, not after for average Joe . So the trick is to get out and buy whatever it is you need before be it land, food etc.

FitnessFrenzy

• Getbig V
  • evolving
« Reply #55 on: June 30, 2016, 01:24:28 AM »
I think it is funny how mainstream media and investment advisors tell people not to invest know becauseo of brexit, and then you have people like George Soros who are making millions by:

- buying gold

- shorting Deutsche Bank

I guess the big players always have a trick up their sleeve  :)

FitnessFrenzy

• Getbig V
  • evolving
« Reply #56 on: June 30, 2016, 08:27:37 AM »
does anyone know what the current spread is for investment grade corporate bonds?

Mayday

• Getbig IV
« Reply #57 on: June 30, 2016, 01:24:40 PM »
I think it is funny how mainstream media and investment advisors tell people not to invest know becauseo of brexit, and then you have people like George Soros who are making millions by:

- buying gold

- shorting Deutsche Bank

I guess the big players always have a trick up their sleeve  :)

The big players still dumped their gold/silver before price corrections. They still buy and sell, none of this BS buy at any price I see people doing lol.

Then you have to ask yourself if you should adopt the same strategy as billionaires who don't tell you the whole truth. None of them buy at any price and hold which is the mantra average Joe repeats. They all Buy/sell to make profit today.

We had the same gold/silver mantra here..... Metals fell and property doubled. People got proper fucked following the whole dump property and buy metals gig.  fact is you play with whatever is going to make money today.

Diesel618

• Getbig II
« Reply #58 on: June 30, 2016, 03:12:32 PM »
Where is Vince Goodrum CSM, MFT, HHP? I am curious to hear his take on this discussion. He obviously has vast knowledge on making one's money work for oneself.

What say you Vince Goodrum CSM, MFT, HHP?

FitnessFrenzy

• Getbig V
  • evolving
« Reply #59 on: July 01, 2016, 11:14:59 AM »

FitnessFrenzy

• Getbig V
  • evolving
« Reply #60 on: July 03, 2016, 07:43:29 AM »

Mr Anabolic

• Getbig V
  • Better to die on your feet than on your knees.
« Reply #61 on: July 03, 2016, 08:02:14 AM »
The big players still dumped their gold/silver before price corrections. They still buy and sell, none of this BS buy at any price I see people doing lol.

Then you have to ask yourself if you should adopt the same strategy as billionaires who don't tell you the whole truth. None of them buy at any price and hold which is the mantra average Joe repeats. They all Buy/sell to make profit today.

We had the same gold/silver mantra here..... Metals fell and property doubled. People got proper fucked following the whole dump property and buy metals gig.  fact is you play with whatever is going to make money today.

Billionaires hold gold too... don't kid yourself. 

Again, it's all about timing.  Look at what precious metals have done over the past week.  Silver is up 40% just this year.  You either have it, or you don't. 

The day is coming when the US dollar and other fiat currencies will be worthless and precious metals will not be.  Gold and silver are still relatively cheap.  Prepare accordingly.

Mr Anabolic

• Getbig V
  • Better to die on your feet than on your knees.
« Reply #62 on: July 03, 2016, 08:09:56 AM »

These advisors are basically traders who failed.  They now live off fees, expenses and commissions of ignorant mongoloids who do not understand that the stock market is really a den of thieves in expensive suits. 

Make sure to read the small print of your 401k, IRA or any fund you "invest" in... the fees and expenses are often outrageous. 

FitnessFrenzy

• Getbig V
  • evolving
« Reply #63 on: July 07, 2016, 03:10:00 PM »
brexit effect on a computer controlled forex trading platform. Brutal:

FitnessFrenzy

• Getbig V
  • evolving
« Reply #64 on: July 16, 2016, 03:05:08 AM »

FitnessFrenzy

• Getbig V
  • evolving
« Reply #65 on: July 17, 2016, 06:38:30 AM »

FitnessFrenzy

• Getbig V
  • evolving
« Reply #66 on: October 23, 2016, 05:29:43 AM »

denarii

• Getbig V
« Reply #67 on: October 23, 2016, 06:56:45 AM »
if Trump wins, the USD tanks. Has to be negative for bond yields and equity valuations.

FitnessFrenzy

• Getbig V
  • evolving
« Reply #68 on: October 23, 2016, 10:40:41 AM »
if Trump wins, the USD tanks. Has to be negative for bond yields and equity valuations.

agreed.

Deadpool

• Getbig V
« Reply #69 on: October 23, 2016, 10:45:47 AM »
wow, three pages in and still on topic.  Oh, wait, isn't this a bodybuilding forum?   ::)
X

DroppingPlates

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • Team Pocahontas
« Reply #70 on: October 23, 2016, 11:10:56 AM »
brexit effect on a computer controlled forex trading platform. Brutal:

That's a very smooth equity curve, apart from the not so happy end, prob a scalp trader.

FitnessFrenzy

• Getbig V
  • evolving
« Reply #71 on: October 23, 2016, 11:12:59 AM »
That's a very smooth equity curve, apart from the not so happy end, prob a scalp trader.

automated forex trading is very dangerous. The british pound flash crash happened after I posted that graph you quoted. A lot of people lost money from that incident.
I don't trade forex. It is simply not for me.

FitnessFrenzy

• Getbig V
  • evolving
« Reply #72 on: October 23, 2016, 11:14:50 AM »
These advisors are basically traders who failed.  They now live off fees, expenses and commissions of ignorant mongoloids who do not understand that the stock market is really a den of thieves in expensive suits. 

Make sure to read the small print of your 401k, IRA or any fund you "invest" in... the fees and expenses are often outrageous. 

only about 20% of active fund managers manage to beat the indexes in the long run. If you want to read about a brilliant active fund manager, then I suggest reading the book "The Big Short" by author Michael Lewis.

stuntmovie

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #73 on: October 23, 2016, 11:17:20 AM »
Adding this info without having had the time to read much of this input but the following may possibly be of some help ...

bankrate.com

DroppingPlates

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • Team Pocahontas
« Reply #74 on: October 23, 2016, 11:33:59 AM »
automated forex trading is very dangerous. The british pound flash crash happened after I posted that graph you quoted. A lot of people lost money from that incident.
I don't trade forex. It is simply not for me.

Algo trading can be very risky, but it all depends on things like diversification and position sizing. Some forex brokers already warned their clients on beforehand about the possible Brexit, so it would be wise to turn off a system for at least a couple of hours.

Most forex clients lose their money in the mid- or long-term, simply because either their timing or their money management is poor, leverage can be a bitch...