Author Topic: what to do with a chihuahua that won't stop biting  (Read 5038 times)

225for70

• Getbig IV
  • Suckmymuscle is OneMoreRep's little bitch
what to do with a chihuahua that won't stop biting
« on: February 07, 2011, 06:30:48 AM »
So i have this chihuahua/yorkie dog that is roughly about 12 weeks old...How can i get him to stop biting people...?He just can't seem to learn that your not suppose to bite people..I tried holding his nose, even slapping him..However, nothing really seems to help. any advices?

Butterbean

• Getbig V
Re: what to do with a chihuahua that won't stop biting
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2011, 06:49:06 AM »
I sent this thread to an "expert" and will post her response.

Have you tried saying "No bite!" immediately and then giving the him/her something they can chew on and saying "OK" or something like that?

Oh and do you have any pics of him/her :D
R

Butterbean

• Getbig V
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2011, 07:11:40 AM »
Her response :)  :

"He should let a loud "yelp" and then stop playing with the puppy (like his littermates would do if it got too rough) and he could also try a stern NO and then give the puppy something acceptable to chew on like a toy.   No slapping!  If he gets really riled up a time out should help.  He will learn if he bites no one plays with him.  And always praise the good behavior. Like if he is chewing on an acceptable toy or is playing gently ." 
R

225for70

• Getbig IV
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2011, 07:18:33 AM »
I sent this thread to an "expert" and will post her response.

Have you tried saying "No bite!" immediately and then giving the him/her something they can chew on and saying "OK" or something like that?

Oh and do you have any pics of him/her :D

I'll post some pics later...He's the cutest dog ever..

However, he's bad ass..He doesn't seem to respond to "no biting"..Holding his nose etc..I'll try giving her something to chew on the next time he bites, which will also be the same time that i see him again. He even bit my 1 year old niece..

I've been giving him lots of leftover meat, and now he's getting pretty big and powerful, so i don't really want him out and about with the baby around..Plus, it's so annoying having him try to bite my toes when i get up in the morning to go to the bathroom..

Hopefully, i can get him to stop doing this soon

225for70

• Getbig IV
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2011, 07:27:52 AM »
Her response :)  :

"He should let a loud "yelp" and then stop playing with the puppy (like his littermates would do if it got too rough) and he could also try a stern NO and then give the puppy something acceptable to chew on like a toy.   No slapping!  If he gets really riled up a time out should help.  He will learn if he bites no one plays with him.  And always praise the good behavior. Like if he is chewing on an acceptable toy or is playing gently ."  

I don't like slapping the dog...He also doesn't like it one bit when i slap him. He rolls on the floor with his back down and he swings his arms and barks like a mad man. I will try doing exactly what your friend said, and report back with my findings. I let the problem get out of hand for the fact that i thought he was teething and would grow out of it. However, the dog hasn't exactly given me any signs that he's going to stop anytime soon..

Thanks for the advices...

ToxicAvenger

• Getbig V
  • I thawt I taw a twat!
« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2011, 09:03:31 AM »
So i have this chihuahua/yorkie dog that is roughly about 12 weeks old...How can i get him to stop biting people...?He just can't seem to learn that your not suppose to bite people..I tried holding his nose, even slapping him..However, nothing really seems to help. any advices?

cover finger with some disgusting medicine...fish oil from fish oil capsule??

let her/him play bite said finger  :D
carpe` vaginum!

Princess L

• Getbig V
  • I stop for turtles
« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2011, 09:52:58 AM »
cover finger with some disgusting medicine...fish oil from fish oil capsule??

let her/him play bite said finger  :D

Are you kidding!?  A dog would LOVE that!

Puppies do grow out of that biting stage especially if socialized with other dogs.  The other dogs will tell them what is acceptable behavior.  A basic puppy obedience class would be a good start. Consistency is important.

Cesar has lots of great tips.
http://www.cesarsway.com/taxonomy/term/657
:

knny187

• Getbig V
« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2011, 06:54:45 PM »
Her response :)  :

"He should let a loud "yelp" and then stop playing with the puppy (like his littermates would do if it got too rough) and he could also try a stern NO and then give the puppy something acceptable to chew on like a toy. 

I would think taking more of a "leader" role is a better idea than acting like his litter mate.  The idea of 'being an equal & you hurt me" is kind of a different training method.

Giving a stern no is more recommended.  Be careful when you decide to follow up with giving the puppy an acceptable chew toy as it can be confused ie... "I bit this person, he said no and rewarded me with a chew toy."  :-\

Only reward when a dog is due a reward.  A toy or food reward is not always necessary.  A praise is more than enough of a reward.  As you train the dog more, realize that the praises & rewards can be given less.  Especially as you implement the understanding that what they are doing is expected of them & doesn't always constitute a reward.  Always follow through with your corrections.  Remember that at 12 weeks old, it's better to start training now than waiting 2 years to deal with behavior issues.

tonymctones

• Getbig V
« Reply #8 on: February 08, 2011, 07:10:43 AM »
bite back  ;D

Hereford

• Getbig V
« Reply #9 on: February 09, 2011, 09:45:06 AM »
Chiuahuahs are aweful little POSs. I hate them more than pitbulls.

Every one I have ever met is a horrid little bastard.

225for70

• Getbig IV
« Reply #10 on: February 14, 2011, 06:41:15 AM »
Just reporting back..So i have taken the advices here...He's getting a little better...However, it's going to take a few months before he stops biting 100%.  I was wondering if it's because i haven't really been giving him to much attention..I work and leave him home alone...So in reality i really only play, walk, Etc about 1 hour a day..When he see's me he's so excited, that he really can't control himself..Literally after playing with him for about 45 seconds he starts to bite..

Does anyone think that the lack of attention he gets could be the reason that he's like that? He also getting zero interaction from other dogs.

The dog has stopped eating anything that comes in a package, He only eats steak and chicken now..He's started growing exponentially faster with real meat...He's already bigger than his mom...

Princess L

• Getbig V
  • I stop for turtles
« Reply #11 on: February 14, 2011, 08:31:08 PM »
Just reporting back..So i have taken the advices here...He's getting a little better...However, it's going to take a few months before he stops biting 100%.  I was wondering if it's because i haven't really been giving him to much attention..I work and leave him home alone...So in reality i really only play, walk, Etc about 1 hour a day..When he see's me he's so excited, that he really can't control himself..Literally after playing with him for about 45 seconds he starts to bite..

Does anyone think that the lack of attention he gets could be the reason that he's like that? He also getting zero interaction from other dogs.

The dog has stopped eating anything that comes in a package, He only eats steak and chicken now..He's started growing exponentially faster with real meat...He's already bigger than his mom...

Cesar would say "NO TOUCH, NO TALK, NO EYE CONTACT" until the dog is calm, quiet and submissive.  So ignore the dog until he is in that state.

Lack of exercise is the #1 reason for bad behavior.  That exercise should be physical and mental.  A controlled walk accomplishes both, however, other forms of mental exercise would include training activities.

You should be able to find a good quality kibble that he likes.  There are a few threads here on choosing one.

http://www.getbig.com/boards/index.php?topic=196654.0
:

knny187

• Getbig V
« Reply #12 on: February 15, 2011, 05:44:24 AM »

Cesar would say "NO TOUCH, NO TALK, NO EYE CONTACT" until the dog is calm, quiet and submissive.  So ignore the dog until he is in that state.

Lack of exercise is the #1 reason for bad behavior.  That exercise should be physical and mental.  A controlled walk accomplishes both, however, other forms of mental exercise would include training activities.

You should be able to find a good quality kibble that he likes.  There are a few threads here on choosing one.

http://www.getbig.com/boards/index.php?topic=196654.0

I agree.  If you think he lacks attention, slip a leash on him & take him for a walk.  This one thing alone could start you in the right direction.

chaos

• Getbig V
  • Ron "There is no freedom of speech here" Avidan
« Reply #13 on: February 27, 2011, 11:56:10 AM »
When my dogs were puppies if they bit I flicked them on the nose, they stopped.
Liar!!!!Filt!!!!